So I went to the Comic Vine forums...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By CaptainCody

@courtney12490 said:

@CaptainCody: You make some good points :) I don't think it necessarily warrants saying you hate Sara (you've never conversed with her to my knowledge, nor actually met her), but you can most certainly hate the way she writes and the viewpoint that she has.

And I don't even bother with CV articles or reviews anymore other than the occasional Off My Mind that Tony does or anything that Mat writes.

@HandsomeDevil said:

Anime Vice is worse. Nothing but imaginary battles and dumb off topics.

Don't GBers ever get tired of making fun of AV? It's the redheaded stepchild of Whiskey Media, it's an easy target.

I don't actually hate her, I'm just being blunt about it so that maybe some people will follow along with the trend and make her a better writer. AV also isn't that bad, I love me some good anime and while I will never post on AV I understand them and appreciate how most of the users manage to run that site.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252  Edited By Mercy_

@CaptainCody said:

@courtney12490 said:

@CaptainCody: You make some good points :) I don't think it necessarily warrants saying you hate Sara (you've never conversed with her to my knowledge, nor actually met her), but you can most certainly hate the way she writes and the viewpoint that she has.

And I don't even bother with CV articles or reviews anymore other than the occasional Off My Mind that Tony does or anything that Mat writes.

@HandsomeDevil said:

Don't GBers ever get tired of making fun of AV? It's the redheaded stepchild of Whiskey Media, it's an easy target.

I don't actually hate her, I'm just being blunt about it so that maybe some people will follow along with the trend and make her a better writer. AV also isn't that bad, I love me some good anime and while I will never post on AV I understand them and appreciate how most of the users manage to run that site.

I doubt she cares what people here have to say. I'll be blunt as well. She doesn't write for GB. She doesn't cross over into any of the GB content. I seriously doubt she gives two fucks. As long as she gets hits and replies on CV (and because of the skew that's put into her articles and the topics that she chooses to cover), they will always get those, so she won't change things up. I believe the article she wrote on sexism in comics (which I actually agreed with despite the pro-feminist (I say feminist, but that's not really the view she takes) slant of it) was the most viewed article on CV this year. So, she's not going to be fixing what isn't broken.

Now, I don't necessarily agree that it's not broken. Obviously something's up when I prefer reading articles about something that I know nothing about (Alex's articles here. I know he's not overly popular with the community, but I fucking love his writing), then articles about something that I do love: comics.

I have a huge amount of respect for AV. That site other than one or two random staffers is completely run by content put out by the community. It's incredibly impressive. I'm not interested in anime or manga at all, but that doesn't mean that I don't have respect for what the people there have done.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#253  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I like Comic Vine...

I don't post there because I don't read comics a lot, but I do check it out every now and then just to see what's going on anyway in the comic world. A lot of the posters seem perfectly okay to me. They sound just like us most of the time except they talk about comics instead of games. Plus I got mad love for Tony and Sara just like I got love for all the Whiskey Media crew. I will shank anyone who bad mouths them or their work. (I'm not saying the OP is badmouthing them. I'm just sayin.)

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By CaptainCody

@courtney12490 said:

@CaptainCody said:

@courtney12490 said:

@HandsomeDevil said:

I doubt she cares what people here have to say. I'll be blunt as well. She doesn't write for GB. She doesn't cross over into any of the GB content. I seriously doubt she gives two fucks. As long as she gets hits and replies on CV (and because of the skew that's put into her articles and the topics that she chooses to cover), they will always get those. I believe the article she wrote on sexism in comics (which I actually agreed with despite the pro-feminist (I say feminist, but that's not really the view she takes) slant of it) was the most viewed article on CV this year. So, she's not going to be fix what isn't broken.

Now, I don't necessarily agree that it's not broken. Obviously something's up when I prefer reading articles about something that I know nothing about (Alex's articles here. I know he's not overly popular with the community, but I fucking love his writing), then articles about something that I do love: comics.

I have a huge amount of respect for AV. That site other than one or two random staffers is completely run by content put out by the community. It's incredibly impressive. I'm not interested in anime or manga at all, but that doesn't mean that I don't have respect for what the people there have done.

Yup, all valid points and I agree with you. As with Alex, I think he's one of the best writers out there across the whole medium, but his snarkiness can be overwhelming sometimes. Regardless, he's still great; I think this is going to be enough warring for me tonight, I bid you adieu and I'll be interested to see if this thread has gone anywhere but a mod's lock come this morning.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@courtney12490: She doesnt write on Giant Bomb but she occasionally posts here

@GreggD said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@GreggD said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Dany said:

You guys sure are a bundle of joy right now.

I was going to post a comment like that too... I dont get this strange animosity towards Comic Vine

I don't really get it, either. I never visit the site, because I'm not into comics per se, so my opinion is not one to look at, anyway.

Yeah me neither... I just checked out that thread on Comic Vine about this thread and I find that they post way too much... Also the people with 1000 posts seem like theyve only been on the site on the week for some strange reason. Maybe its because Im comparing them to the dudes with like 30 000 posts?

I guess it's just kinda relative. I mean, you look at the people on this site, and if they're in the high hundreds, you know they've been around a while.

Yeah exactly, I feel bad for saying this but I generalize "credibility" on this site by looking at people's post counts... Being a relatively new user and all that I cant really help it...

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#256  Edited By Enigma777

I think the solution we can all agree to is to go into CV and make a bunch of Goku vs [insert superhero name here] threads/polls. 

Together we will break them! 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#257  Edited By Hailinel

@Enigma777 said:

I think the solution we can all agree to is to go into CV and make a bunch of Goku vs [insert superhero name here] threads/polls. Together we will break them!

There was already an invasion war between AV and CV. Any attempt at that shit would just result in a lot of people getting the ban hammer, I suspect.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Enigma777
@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

I think the solution we can all agree to is to go into CV and make a bunch of Goku vs [insert superhero name here] threads/polls. Together we will break them!

There was already an invasion war between AV and CV. Any attempt at that shit would just result in a lot of people getting the ban hammer, I suspect.

Who cares. It's not like anyone here posts at CV anyways. 
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#259  Edited By ThePickle

@courtney12490 said:

@HandsomeDevil said:

I'll never get tired of it as long as it remains relevant. And since WM seems to be focusing on subscriber stuff for websites people actually care about, it'll likely remain relevant for awhile. Although the removal of all the naked cartoon pussy from the wiki made the site much less interesting.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#260  Edited By Milkman

This thread was fun at first but now it sucks.

TrenchesComic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By TrenchesComic
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By Hailinel

@Enigma777 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

You probably need to take a closer look. The Whiskey sites aren't whole independent communities where no one from one doesn't spend any significant amount of time in another.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Enigma777
@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777 said:

You probably need to take a closer look. The Whiskey sites aren't whole independent communities where no one from one doesn't spend any significant amount of time in another.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people here have less than 50 posts on CV (if any at all). If you like we can make a poll or something. 
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Hailinel

@CaptainCody said:

@HandsomeDead said:

When you consider the garbage quality of the website itself, it's not so surprising that the forum is awful too. No one on their site can write to the standard of a MySpace blog, let alone get paid to write.

It just bothers me that the top article I see is, "Should Wonder Woman have a father figure?" This is honestly one of the reasons I hate Sara.

Given that for most of the character's history, there was no father figure in Wonder Woman's life, this is actually a rather major shift in her origin. It would be akin to saying that Bruce Wayne grew up surrounded by caring aunts, uncles and grandparents instead of just a butler.

EDIT: My 10,000th post. Those Comic Viners and their 100,000+ post counts will be under my thumb in no time!

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Solemn

This was amusing and incredibly idiotic.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#267  Edited By Little_Socrates

@courtney12490: @CaptainCody:

The only part that's baffling me is your mutual (if not faint, not quite glowing) praise of Tony's "Off My Mind" articles. About once every couple of months he actually executes properly on a decent idea, but I read Off My Mind for something like four months and consistently I was more and more amazed at how inane or misexecuted his articles are. "Off My Mind: When Do Superheroes Use The Bathroom?" "Should Superman Hook Up With Wonder Woman?" "What Happens to Batman's Batarangs?" Some of these don't even make for decent forum topics! Even when there are decent questions to be raised, it seems like he drops the ball.

The Story Of Batman Jones: Is it wrong for vigilantes to actually become societal heroes to the point where people name their children after them? Do heroes encourage child endangerment through heroic iconography that inspires kids to do really stupid things? Instead, we get an article very specifically about naming your kid Batman.

Should Superheroes Keep Trophy Rooms: Isn't it kind of messed up for Batman to keep a trophy room of all the criminals he's stopped? Like he's some sort of hunter on safari? Instead, the spin is about what happens if a villain breaks into the trophy room and uses a device the hero's clearly already defeated.

Should Scarlet Witch Be A Hero Or A Villain?: Okay, well, this might be unfair, as this question is sort of what makes appearances by Scarlet Witch compelling; she, along with some other characters, has played both sides of the field, and some people found her compelling on each side. Certain authors have done interesting things with her, to be certain. However, the question asked is far more interesting than the article could ever be; it's sort of like titling an article "Is Batman Crazy?" or something similar.

At least Sara's articles are consistently well-conceived. She's got an agenda, but she executes on it well, and when she has an idea, she follows through appropriately. When it comes to reviews, though, Tony is fantastic. I really think Tony can have great ideas and perspectives on things, but he seems consistently afraid to put in the extra effort to really get his point across.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#268  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Man, those comic vine users are sure talking some shit about us.

That ain't cool, THAT AIN'T FUCKING COOL AT ALL.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Mercy_

@dudeglove said:

@courtney12490 said:

And there's the A-Z thread which is people naming a character whose name corresponds to whichever letter that is.

Without having gone anywhere near the CV forums, I fucking called that a few pages back. And I thought I was trying to be funny.

I saw that, forgot it had been mentioned until just now.

@Little_Socrates said:

@courtney12490: @CaptainCody:

The only part that's baffling me is your mutual (if not faint, not quite glowing) praise of Tony's "Off My Mind" articles. About once every couple of months he actually executes properly on a decent idea, but I read Off My Mind for something like four months and consistently I was more and more amazed at how inane or misexecuted his articles are. "Off My Mind: When Do Superheroes Use The Bathroom?" "Should Superman Hook Up With Wonder Woman?" "What Happens to Batman's Batarangs?" Some of these don't even make for decent forum topics! Even when there are decent questions to be raised, it seems like he drops the ball.

The Story Of Batman Jones: Is it wrong for vigilantes to actually become societal heroes to the point where people name their children after them? Do heroes encourage child endangerment through heroic iconography that inspires kids to do really stupid things? Instead, we get an article very specifically about naming your kid Batman.

Should Superheroes Keep Trophy Rooms: Isn't it kind of messed up for Batman to keep a trophy room of all the criminals he's stopped? Like he's some sort of hunter on safari? Instead, the spin is about what happens if a villain breaks into the trophy room and uses a device the hero's clearly already defeated.

Should Scarlet Witch Be A Hero Or A Villain?: Okay, well, this might be unfair, as this question is sort of what makes appearances by Scarlet Witch compelling; she, along with some other characters, has played both sides of the field, and some people found her compelling on each side. Certain authors have done interesting things with However, the question asked is far more interesting than the article could ever be; it's sort of like titling an article "Is Batman Crazy?" or something similar.

At least Sara's articles are consistently well-conceived. She's got an agenda, but she executes on it well, and when she has an idea, she follows through appropriately. When it comes to reviews, though, Tony is fantastic. I really think Tony can have great ideas and perspectives on things, but he seems consistently afraid to put in the extra effort to really get his point across.

I said occasionally for a reason ;) Because it's only occasionally a topic that I give a rat's ass about.

Most of them time it's nothing that actually warrants an article as it's been discussed time and time again ad nauseam. I am completely agreed with you :)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Mercy_

@Hailinel said:

@CaptainCody said:

@HandsomeDead said:

When you consider the garbage quality of the website itself, it's not so surprising that the forum is awful too. No one on their site can write to the standard of a MySpace blog, let alone get paid to write.

It just bothers me that the top article I see is, "Should Wonder Woman have a father figure?" This is honestly one of the reasons I hate Sara.

Given that for most of the character's history, there was no father figure in Wonder Woman's life, this is actually a rather major shift in her origin. It would be akin to saying that Bruce Wayne grew up surrounded by caring aunts, uncles and grandparents instead of just a butler.

EDIT: My 10,000th post. Those Comic Viners and their 100,000+ post counts will be under my thumb in no time!

I don't think it's the topic that irks him about it so much as it is the content.

And congrats on the landmark post count :D

billy_batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By billy_batson

@damswedon said:

There is a user who writes every fucking thing he (I'm assuming that) posts in Header 3 and then signs off with his initials.

DS (like that).

I want to punch him through the internet.

U MAD?
BB

billy_batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By billy_batson

Comic Vine is the only Whiskey site that matters.

BB

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#274  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

OK, this has gone on long enough. Whatever you think of Comic Vine, this thread was always going to cause friction and conflict between the communities. If you don't like Comic Vine, that's fine. You're entitled to that opinion. Don't go there and leave it at that. This sort of thread is never going to be constructive.