So news broadcasters are supposed to speak "American English"...

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MC_Izawa

...which is a generalized, Middle American 'accentless' accent.  Am I the only one who thinks ESPN has their anchors talk in a New York/Northeastern type accent?  They have what seems like fifteen dudes on SportsCenter and they all talk in the same deep voice with the same accent.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PercyChuggs

Well yeah, because it's the least recognizable accent. The East Coast accent, not that over the top, "New Yawk" or "Bawston" stuff. Someone with a Minnesota accent like myself or with a deep Texas or Southern accent probably wouldn't be hired there, unless it was our gimmick.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Optiow

That is rather stupid I think.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima

Everyone has an accent, despite what people may think.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By jakob187

The funny thing is that an "accentless" English accent is still an accent.

It's like atheism.  It's a belief against religion...but in itself, it is a religion.

So I don't get the point of the thread...

Also, ESPN anchors offend me with their East Coast accents.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Suicrat

Standardization of pronunciation is tricky business. Ever see how words are pronounced in Singapore and HK? Somewhere in between American, Australian, and British English.

My favourite English accent, however, is Newfie. Lord Tunderin' Chroist, it's sharp.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I wish reporters would talk in their normal voices and not have to emphasize words like they do.

Also this topic reminds me of this.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MC_Izawa

I was just wondering why they have their anchors speak in an East Coast accent as opposed to the Middle American accent that every other news source uses.  Is it supposed to make me feel a certain way?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By jakob187
OneEyedNinja7 said:
"I wish reporters would talk in their normal voices and not have to emphasize words like they do.

Also this topic reminds me of this.

"
AMAZING!!!
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PercyChuggs
jakob187 said:
"The funny thing is that an "accentless" English accent is still an accent.

It's like atheism.  It's a belief against religion...but in itself, it is a religion.

"
Uh, atheism is not a religion. Religion is a belief in a higher power.
Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hausdog

I love watching people who are selected to play a role break character like that. It reminds me that we are all human :3

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By VWGTI

LOL! That's fucking hilarious.

What OneEyedNinja7 posted I mean.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

The Boston accent is my favorite. A lot of my family still live there, I love it.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#14  Edited By JackiJinx
PercyChuggs said:
"jakob187 said:

"
Uh, atheism is not a religion. Religion is a belief in a higher power."
Religion is "an institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine." Does not explicitly say that a religion has to have a higher power in it. However, atheism is not a religion either because it not a system of beliefs. It is the disbelief in the existence of a God or deities. Since atheism is one belief and not a system of them, it can not be a religion.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Commando

I mean if an english accent guy got on the news and started talking about American politics, I probably wouldn't listen because I'd feel like he had no idea what he was talking about. I HATE the New York/Boston accent, but I especially hate the Massachusetts/ Connecticut accent. I have cousins up there, and they say things like "wicked". Really annoying.

Middle American is just a general everyday, typical American businessman's accent. There are people in every region of the country with the "middle American" accent, so it's less likely to be criticized on a network station. However, the local news stations usually have one anchor with that area's accent. For instance, most of our news stations have one anchor with a southern accent, and one anchor with a middle american accent so everyone can relate to them without criticism. Also, there is always one male and one female newscaster, and in our area the female newscaster is usually black since we have a fairly high black population, and girls tend to be less racist than men. It makes sense to me, because it allows them to reach more viewers with less criticism. 

To keep it short: get over it, it makes sense.

And by the way, southern accent is good for things like Nascar, and as a special guest football announcer(remember Tommy Tuberville, Auburn's former coach, on ESPN National Signing Day).

PS: East coast accents make me angry.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Commando said:
"I mean if an english accent guy got on the news and started talking about American politics, I probably wouldn't listen because I'd feel like he had no idea what he was talking about.
Agreed
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
JackiJinx said:
"PercyChuggs said:
"jakob187 said:

"
Uh, atheism is not a religion. Religion is a belief in a higher power."
Religion is "an institutionalized or personal system of beliefs and practices relating to the divine." Does not explicitly say that a religion has to have a higher power in it. However, atheism is not a religion either because it not a system of beliefs. It is the disbelief in the existence of a God or deities. Since atheism is one belief and not a system of them, it can not be a religion."
Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.