Soapbox - How Much has Haiti Pledged to Tennessee?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Azrail

pathetic

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#52  Edited By Symphony

What an angry post. It's understandable to wish there was more coverage and aid, but Haiti or New Orleans really have no place in such an argument. You may as well be saying "We spend billions on military spending that could have gone to Tennesse!" or "We spend billions on government grants for pointless studies and foundations that could have gone to Tennesse!" 

Haiti and New Orleans have nothing to do with this and your argument just makes you sound like a xenophobic prick.

Turbofirejames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Turbofirejames

Racist thread is racist...... but interesting.  

Anytime you quantify and rank the suffering of people, you have lost the ability to care about anyone.  

The real tragedy in Tenn. is that a state in a wealthy country like the USA can still be so poorly prepared for a flood that people have to die. Haiti was not prepared for a disaster. Haiti has no infrastructure. America does. The lives in Tenn. lost should have been prevented.
onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By onan
@Symphony said:
" What an angry post. It's understandable to wish there was more coverage and aid, but Haiti or New Orleans really have no place in such an argument. You may as well be saying "We spend billions on military spending that could have gone to Tennesse!" or "We spend billions on government grants for pointless studies and foundations that could have gone to Tennesse!"  Haiti and New Orleans have nothing to do with this and your argument just makes you sound like a xenophobic prick. "
I think you missed the whole "America is the greatest country in the world" rant. Saying stuff like that implies we're not, so those scapegoats are out the window.

He's right though, those 30 people's families could do a lot more with the aid provided the families of 300,000 than the people of Haiti. I'm not exactly sure who was taking the opposite stance on that, but he's definitely right about that issue. It doens't matter that being made homeless by flood waters and left in the situation many Tennessee families were would only be a massive step up from their current lives, but yeah, whatever.
AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By AlKusanagi

I don't agree with the topic, but I do find the whole Haiti thing to be extremely hypocritical.

Haiti was not a land of unicorns and lollipop rainbows before the quakes. It was an absolute hellhole that was only slightly better off before the quakes. Now how many people gave a shit about Haiti and tried to help it out before the waves of OMG NATURAL DISASTER NEVAR FORGET guilt charity after the quakes? A more cynical person would may even say the quake was a positive because at least it made people realize the place even exists...

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

Are you fucking kidding me?! The reason that Haiti was in that mess is because of the Europeans AND the US 

Haiti used to be a major French sugar colony. Basic colonial economics states that you only use the colony for the extraction of raw materials so they become dependent on the mother country for food and manufactured goods. After the slave rebellion in Haiti and haiti became its own country. So a bunch of poor slaves running a country was bound to fail. (This is where the US comes in) So then the US perused a "big stick policy" and the United states occupied the islands from 1915 to 1934 (to protect business interests who abused the population), they built a shit load of roads and stuff, but using SLAVE labour and then killed a bunch of freedom fighters, you know the US upholding the values of freedom and liberty XD. So after that, the US screwed up on the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic and the Dominicans killed loads of haitians. Great Depression rolls in and the Haitian exports of sugar are now pretty much worthless

So after all of that a dictator comes along and Haiti, the US invades and occupies the country again in the 90's. 

So because the French made the island dependent on stuff like the sugar trade, and american big business (supported by the government) the island is that poor. 150,000+ people died in the Haitian quake, compared to the small number of 30 who lived in the second largest economy in the world (first is the EU) 

The US can afford to pay for a 1000 Tennessees, Haiti can't even feed its own people. The US has a responsibility along with the French of fixing the Haiti because they both fucked it up for so long

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

lol 

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By Lies
@JokerClown88 said:
" @SeriouslyNow: You think I don't understand how lucky I am to be an American?  I understand completely how lucky I am to live in the greatest country in the world and am given more personal freedoms then anywhere else.  One of those freedoms is Speech.  I am using that freedom to share how much I HATE what American society has become. "
You hate aiding those who have been struck by unavoidable disaster and don't have the resources to help themselves?

Yeah man, FUCK America.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Good news, everybody!  One person does not entirely voice an American's thoughts!

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

Y'all postin in a troll thread. Even if he is being serious, it's still a troll thread. 

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By tunaburn
@SeriouslyNow: hey you may disagree with what hes saying but he never started accusing people of being racist. enough with that stupid fucking word.

on another note. dude its totally different. donate to who you want. (i donate to noone because the charities that run it suck horribly at it and i doubt my money would ever see haiti)
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By halberdierv2

you really are an uninformed ass aren't you. Tennessee can fix itself, its part of your bloody country in the first place and the government can help without a problem. Haiti has gone through enough hell and pretty much has no money. how do you expect it to be able to donate any money to your country with its own insurance schemes to help repair, when most of the earthquake victims are still in refugee camps?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@tunaburn said:
" @SeriouslyNow: hey you may disagree with what hes saying but he never started accusing people of being racist. enough with that stupid fucking word. "
You missed my point entirely.  Figures. :/