Song of the Day: The Strokes are back? And they're good again!?

• 70 results
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

I never attach my "Song of the Day" blogs to the forums (for obvious reasons: some would consider it "YouTube Spam"), but this is a special occasion. "Under Cover of Darkness", the first single from the Strokes' new album Angles, due sometime in March, sounds like a more adult version of the group of guys that brought us Is This It? and Room on Fire. Julian's vocals aren't so slurred anymore, so I guess that solo album he put out -- which was mostly forgettable aside from the lead single -- cleared his mind; I dig the rhythm; the lyrics aren't that offensively stupid (a happenstance with Julian); and do I hear harmonizing in the chorus!? THE STROKES DON'T HARMONIZE!!!  

Before you guys say anything, I'll be the first to admit that this is more pop rock side than it is the gritty garage the Strokes became known for (say bye, bye drunkenness). But after Interpol's awful comeback record (which made Our Love to Admire look like an art-rock masterpiece), I don't think anyone is going to complain about a more accessible sound from one of the bands that personified the New York rock revival in the early 2000s. The Strokes have certainly noticed their contemporaries (and competition) in the time it's taken for them to get back into the swing of things: Thankfully taking cues from Phoenix as opposed to New Order (Julian's solo album: a synthpop massacre), or whatever the fuck their third album was supposed to be. We all liked the Strokes when they were donning leather jackets and evoking the Ramones while taking riffs from Tom Petty and blatantly stating so, but when "Juicebox" was instantly recognizable as being built from The Clash's "Brand New Cadillac", I had had enough...well, that and the rest of that record -- aside from "You Only Live Once" -- not living up to the standards of even the weakest track on Room on Fire.

I'm not saying that this upcoming album is going to light the rock world ablaze the way Is This It?did, it most likely won't, but 'Under Cover of Darkness" is a good indication that the record could be good. All the hipster indie stuff (Animal Collective, Beirut, etc) I listen to is great and all, but I'd love to get excited about a pure rock record for once, even if it's a bit on the poppy side. And being a New Yorker who grew up on Room on Firewhen he went to High School, I'm pretty excited.  

Here's some retrospective Strokes songs for those of you not familiar with the band. 

"Someday", from their debut, Is This It?  

"Last Nite", from their debut, Is This It? 

"Take It or Leave It", from their debut, Is This It? 

"12:51", from their sophomore album, Room on Fire 

"Under Control", from their sophomore album, Room on Fire 

"You Only Live Once", from their third album, First Impressions of Earth 

And hell, why not, let's even throw in the single from Julian Casablancas' solo album, Phrazes for the Young.  Be warned: the video is retarded. And the song is a great example of Julian's at times asinine writing as well.

So what do you guys think? Does this new single give you hope for Angles? One of their reoccurring criticisms has been that they more or less recreate the same song (almost in a format of sorts) over and over again, so will a more pop-oriented Strokes record break that criticism?
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

I never attach my "Song of the Day" blogs to the forums (for obvious reasons: some would consider it "YouTube Spam"), but this is a special occasion. "Under Cover of Darkness", the first single from the Strokes' new album Angles, due sometime in March, sounds like a more adult version of the group of guys that brought us Is This It? and Room on Fire. Julian's vocals aren't so slurred anymore, so I guess that solo album he put out -- which was mostly forgettable aside from the lead single -- cleared his mind; I dig the rhythm; the lyrics aren't that offensively stupid (a happenstance with Julian); and do I hear harmonizing in the chorus!? THE STROKES DON'T HARMONIZE!!!  

Before you guys say anything, I'll be the first to admit that this is more pop rock side than it is the gritty garage the Strokes became known for (say bye, bye drunkenness). But after Interpol's awful comeback record (which made Our Love to Admire look like an art-rock masterpiece), I don't think anyone is going to complain about a more accessible sound from one of the bands that personified the New York rock revival in the early 2000s. The Strokes have certainly noticed their contemporaries (and competition) in the time it's taken for them to get back into the swing of things: Thankfully taking cues from Phoenix as opposed to New Order (Julian's solo album: a synthpop massacre), or whatever the fuck their third album was supposed to be. We all liked the Strokes when they were donning leather jackets and evoking the Ramones while taking riffs from Tom Petty and blatantly stating so, but when "Juicebox" was instantly recognizable as being built from The Clash's "Brand New Cadillac", I had had enough...well, that and the rest of that record -- aside from "You Only Live Once" -- not living up to the standards of even the weakest track on Room on Fire.

I'm not saying that this upcoming album is going to light the rock world ablaze the way Is This It?did, it most likely won't, but 'Under Cover of Darkness" is a good indication that the record could be good. All the hipster indie stuff (Animal Collective, Beirut, etc) I listen to is great and all, but I'd love to get excited about a pure rock record for once, even if it's a bit on the poppy side. And being a New Yorker who grew up on Room on Firewhen he went to High School, I'm pretty excited.  

Here's some retrospective Strokes songs for those of you not familiar with the band. 

"Someday", from their debut, Is This It?  

"Last Nite", from their debut, Is This It? 

"Take It or Leave It", from their debut, Is This It? 

"12:51", from their sophomore album, Room on Fire 

"Under Control", from their sophomore album, Room on Fire 

"You Only Live Once", from their third album, First Impressions of Earth 

And hell, why not, let's even throw in the single from Julian Casablancas' solo album, Phrazes for the Young.  Be warned: the video is retarded. And the song is a great example of Julian's at times asinine writing as well.

So what do you guys think? Does this new single give you hope for Angles? One of their reoccurring criticisms has been that they more or less recreate the same song (almost in a format of sorts) over and over again, so will a more pop-oriented Strokes record break that criticism?
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I was listening to them on the radio once, and the DJ said that although everyone said the Strokes were great, maybe 9 people actually liked them. That became sort of a running joke between with me and a friend, so whenever we see someone talking about them we try to figure out if they're one of the 9.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

I maintain that Is This It? is a modern classic, First Impressions of Earth is a very good album and Room on Fire...Well...Lets not talk about that. 

Still, super pumped to have them return, then once that is out of the way its on to see what Queens of the Stone Age do with their year. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bruce
@EuanDewar:  

Really? Usually the conventional Strokes fan loves the first two records and hates the third. Interesting to see it the other way around. 

@MarkWahlberg: They were a bit full of themselves when they started, but they did garage rock like few others.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EuanDewar
@Bruce:
I just didn't find it nearly as exciting, I certainly saw the good shining through but man were some of those songs boring to me.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FourWude

The Strokes are too cool for me. And so is this blog. 

I'm just too uncool to be around here.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce
@EuanDewar:  

Was "Meet me in the Bathroom" one of them? Ugh. 
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EuanDewar
@Bruce:
I don't remember that song so im just gonna go ahead and say that speaks for itself...Yup.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By cookiemonster

I quite liked that, definately a bit more pop-y, and maybe thats for the better. I think most bands need to do something different after making 3 similar sounding albums in a row.  

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Bruce said:
" @MarkWahlberg: They were a bit full of themselves when they started, but they did garage rock like few others. "  

I wouldn't know. That had been the first time I'd ever heard them, and I don't usually follow musicians enough to know anything other than what their music sounds like. I just thought it was a funny thing to say about a band.
ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By ESREVER

This is the best news I have heard all year!! 
Holy shit, I love me some Strokes. 

This is a great thing. I'm excited. 

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kieran_ES

It still sounds like it comes more from Casablancas' solo album than classic Strokes (though I enjoyed Phrazes). But yeah, promising stuff. 

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By phlegms

I'm not liking the way his voice is sounding. It sounds way more solo Julian Casablancas than the gritty-reverby-feedbacky style he had on previous strokes stuff. Typically catchy guitar riff though, at least that can be relied upon. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The Strokes are one of my favourite bands. I'm not sure how I feel about this new song just yet. No doubt it will grow on me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d99c8cd85096
deactivated-5d99c8cd85096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite band ever. This song is wonderful. I can't wait for Angles.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bruce
@Sweep:  

Well, if they ever get around to actually redeeming the free email downloads of it, you can download it and listen to it for a bit; it sort of sucks that they've having bandwidth problems on their site.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Bruce:  I f irst heard this song last nite at 12:51. Someday I will probably enjoy it but right now I can either take it or leave it. I mean... is this it?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bruce
@EndSarcasm:  

There was nothing wrong with his vocal delivery on Phrazes, I just hated the songwriting. I think that that style of singing paired with a more pop-oriented Strokes could be a good thing.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By audiosnag

Love the Strokes. I'm actually a fan of all three albums, they've all got some solid tunes.
Gonna have to listen to this one a few times. The verses seem a little weaker then the rest of the track but overall I like it.
I'm hoping they don't take too many cues from Phoenix. Not a huge fan of that band.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruce
@Sweep:  

Ha!
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dalai
@Sweep said:
"

@Bruce:  I f irst heard this song last nite at 12:51. Someday I will probably enjoy it but right now I can either take it or leave it. I mean... is this it?

"
Get this man a juicebox!
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
"

"
Get this man a juicebox! "
I want to enjoy it, but it's like I've got a heart in a cage!
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Red12b

fucking good shit!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dalai
@Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
"

"
I want to enjoy it, but it's like I've got a heart in a cage! "
Don't ask me how your heart got in there. It's probably hard to explain.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bruce
@Sweep:  

My girlfriend keeps the television under control; it's too bad that that I've been popping soma, otherwise I doubt my frustration would be that hard to explain.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
"

"
Don't ask me how your heart got in there. It's probably hard to explain. "
@Bruce said:
" @Sweep:   My girlfriend keeps the television under control; it's too bad that that I've been popping soma, otherwise I doubt my frustration would be that hard to explain. "

When it started I was quick to realise that I can't win. That's just the way it is.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cookiemonster

I've changed my mind. This song is fucking unreal.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dalai
@Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
"

"
@Bruce said:
" @Sweep:   My girlfriend keeps the television under control; it's too bad that that I've been popping soma, otherwise I doubt my frustration would be that hard to explain. "
 When it started I was quick to realise that I can't win. That's just the way it is. "
You guys are trying your luck, but you're also lucky the end has no end.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bruce
@Dalai:  

Sigh, it seems like you guys talk way too much. What ever happened to civil conversation on a board?
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
"

"
@Bruce said:
 When it started I was quick to realise that I can't win. That's just the way it is. "
You guys are trying your luck, but you're also lucky the end has no end. "
You talk way too much, Dalai. Just because you are on the other side of the world doesn't mean we can't be alone, together.
Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kieran_ES

What ever happened to this thread? It's taken a new, brilliant direction.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dalai
@Bruce: Yeah I should... shit I've got nothing. 

Alright, I'm out. You and Sweep can fight for supremacy. 

As for the track, it sounds more like The Strokes of old, and that's pretty much what I want. First Impressions of Earth just didn't cut it for me, but their earlier work was great.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By grilledcheez

Meh, I'm hoping the actual album sounds better than that.  Older stuff still reigns supreme

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sameeeeam

Whatever you say about the Strokes, their first two albums were amazing.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bruce
@EndSarcasm:  

I wasn't interested in people looking at my thread, going "is this it?"
goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By goth_bacon

Fuck yeah I fucking love The Strokes.  I hope this album is more like the first two albums, but from what I hear the style will likely be a mix between the Room On Fire and First Impressions.  I think Room On Fire is their best album and "Under Control" and "Someday" are my favorite songs.

Oh and this song sounds brilliant.

Avatar image for gristlemcthornbody
GristleMcThornbody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you guys really need to revisit "First Impressions of Earth".  Although it is not as catchy from start to finish as the first two, the lyrics throughout the album are brutally honest, mature, and insightful, although they border on the obvious at times.  I can relate to this album the most.  Plus, you really cant beat "Heart in a Cage" 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Bruce: I love you, dude.  

Meet me in the bathroom.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss
@GristleMcThornbody said:

" I think you guys really need to revisit "First Impressions of Earth"."

Yeah, I didn't like the album much either but one of my bandmates really pushed for us to play "You Only Live Once" and "Heart in a Cage" and from this I grew to really REALLY like that album.

Also, seems you all left out Casablancas most important and influencial piece of work to date.

@Bruce:  And yeah, that new track is pretty good, now I'm gonna go back and listen to all the songs you linked in yer op.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Sweep said:
"

"
@Bruce said:
You guys are trying your luck, but you're also lucky the end has no end. "
You talk way too much, Dalai. Just because you are on the other side of the world doesn't mean we can't be alone, together. "
You all should be ashamed. ASHAMED.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@MarkWahlberg: I know, it's barely legal!
AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AngriGhandi

I really liked the first minute of it, with the guitars and such. Then I thought the rest was pretty good too I guess.
Overall I'd say trying harder seems to fit the Strokes pretty well
I would say they should put them in the next guitar hero but... well, you know.

CURRENT EVENTS

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BBQBram

Sounds alright, but I do miss the slurred vocals. It mostly makes me want to spin Is This It again. The third record didn't really do it for me so, we'll see. Although I like how blatantly obvious they are still trying to ignore that it's not the 70s or early 80s. I bet if you showed them a DS they'd stare at it with empty eyes.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Karl_Boss

This is good youtube spam.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By davidh219

You don't even know how surprised I was to see this on Giant Bomb. The Strokes are my favorite band but I generally disliked First Impressions of Earth, with the exception of about 5 songs. This song says to me that they're back at the top of their game and ready to lay down the fucking law again. Here's hoping the rest of the album says the same thing when it comes out. But yeah...this song already has like 30 plays on my last.fm =P

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gizmo

It sounds like perfect Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 soundtrack material.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bruce
@Unknown_Pleasures:  

Oh, do I have a gift for you sir! 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By WickedCestus

I really like this. I don't know exactly why, but I am really enjoying this song right now. I'm listening to it for a third straight time as I type.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By artofwar420

The song is just fine. Maybe it'll grow on me if I listen to it on the context of the whole album.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HisDudeness
@Sweep said:
" @MarkWahlberg: I know, it's barely legal! "
I can't even remember when it started...