MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#301  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@Ygg: 
Its called intellectual property, and by law it is just as much stealing as is getting a physical copy of something. There's been a debate about intellectual property for years now, but I'd wager to guess that if you weren't allowed to make money with what you created digitally, most of the stuff worth downloading wouldn't exist in the first place. People can't really work 40+ hours a week in large groups for no pay. So, grow up and pay for things that aren't yours.
SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By SaFt

I have a Viasat Gold TV subscription, with channels showing dexter, house M.D. etc, most of the popular shows these days.

But i still download these shows instead of watching them on my tv. Do you consider this piracy? After all, i still pay to see these programs.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#303  Edited By one_2nd
@Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @one_2nd said:
" @Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @one_2nd: But he is losing.  He is losing compensation for creating the work. "
But you're assuming that they'd actually buy it.  "
No. I'm assuming that someone has created content with the expectation that he or she would be paid for it.  If someone accesses that content without paying the creator, that person has done wrong.   The fact that this person possesses that content without paying for it means that the creator did not get the compensation that he or she expected.  This means that the creator is losing the compensation.    Intent does not matter.  If you possess the creation without paying the creator, you have deprived him or her.  Before someone brings up "What if someone gives me software as a gift?", let me say that there is a difference between one person buying a piece of software and giving it to one person and one person buying a piece of software and giving it to the world. "
I'm not saying it's not wrong, I'm just saying that it's not the same as literally stealing it from him. You're like that commercial: would you steal a car? then don't download stuff. No, that's just stupid.  
Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@one_2nd: Elaborate how it's not stealing.  They're taking something from someone (in this case it just happens to be made of bits, and not atoms) without paying for it.  Even if it's not legally stealing (which I am not arguing), it most certainly is ethically/morally/philosophically.  
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By one_2nd
@Fish_Face_McGee: I said it is stealing, just not as bad as going up to them and mugging them. If you don't see that, you're blind. It's a dumb example to say it's the same as stealing from the store because it's not the same thing at all. 
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@one_2nd: Considering how I never said it's the same as stealing from a store I don't understand what your complaint is. 

You said: 

"you're completely wrong. It would be more like if they took a picture of his art, and hung that up. if they punched him in the face and took his art he'd losing."

When I said that he would be losing because he was losing out on compensation, your response was based around whether or not the thief had the intent to buy it, which I said is irrelevant because the thief still posses the end-product.  Please, let me know where I'm not following our discussion.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By one_2nd
@Fish_Face_McGee: You weren't agreeing with me until that last post. Also it doesn't matter, my only point is that that's a terrible comparison. If you agree with that then I have no point to prove. 
ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#308  Edited By ElCapitan
@commandercup: When I was a student I paid for things I wanted to hear, play, or watch. If you can't afford it you shouldn't pirate it.
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By Meltac

FUCK NO!! U GOTTA PAY LIKE ME N MAH FAM!! WE WORK HARD FOR OUR MONEY AND SCUMBAGS LIKE U MAKES ME LOSE FAITH IN MANKIND!! 

TO THE SHELTER!!

Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@one_2nd: I'm not entirely sure where I stand, to be honest, on how different digital theft and corporeal theft are.  I'd be interested to see why they're "not the same thing at all."
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#311  Edited By the8bitNacho

It's not OK, but guess what? It doesn't need to be. If you want to pirate something, just do it.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By one_2nd
@Fish_Face_McGee:  
 "  @Hourai said: 
It's not stealing. You're getting things for free, but you aren't taking something from another person. When you mug somebody or rob a store, people are losing what you take. When you pirate something off the Internet, nobody is losing anything. Maybe potential monies, but that's only if you planned on paying for the game before downloading it. For most pirates, pirating the game is the only way they would play the game, and so the developers don't lose or gain anything either way. It's like commensalism.    
That.  
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#313  Edited By keyhunter

As far as I'm concerned, someone with little to no money was never going to buy the product in the first place. 
Throughout my  childhood I only bought games I was looking forward to and pirated the rest. Since I hit my teen years and a got a job, my legit game collection is probably more than 100 times larger than the average persons. So I certainly have given back to the game companies. Not that I ever was a detriment to their sales, since a 6 year old with no money couldn't possibly afford a game anyways.
If game companies want to deny poor people, children, and russians from playing their games, then maybe they should:
1. Make every game an MMO. I dunno anyone who pirates guild wars or similar products.
2. Put games back on Cartridges. What average jerkoff is going to go through the trouble?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#314  Edited By KaosAngel

Why are people in this thread defending piracy? 

Would you defend murder or Anti-Trust laws?   

It's copyrights...and the stealing of copyrights.

Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@one_2nd: If that's your reasoning, then I have to disagree.  Like I mentioned before, the "it's the only way I would play it" argument is bullshit.  If the only way you (FYI, the 'you's in the rest of this post are not directed at you specifically) would play it is if it was free, then you shouldn't be playing it.  Furthermore, you have no right to be playing it. The fact that you are playing it means that the "potential monies" the publisher and developer are missing out on are no longer potential.  It means you are enjoying the fruits of someone's labor without compensating that person. 

Whether or not you planned on buying it is irrelevant.  If you own it now, and you did not pay for it, then the developer lost out on your money.  While it may not be as tangible as having a physical game stolen from a store and no longer being able to sell that game, the point of the matter is the developer and publisher still lose money on that lack of sale, whether it was from physical theft or digital theft. 

@KaosAngel:   They're defending piracy because, for some reason, they find nothing wrong morally with it. 
trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By trebert

I think a better analogy would be if you have a device that is given to everyone with a computer and internet access, that is capable of creating a complete physical copy of something from nothing.  You can create copy's of things like sticks of gum., because you don't place much value in it. Or 'one of' artistic things like paints which you would feel guilty about not supporting if you liked that particular creator(at least in my case).

This is better as it differentiates between stealing something from a store that they paid for in hopes to turn a profit reselling (or something they themselves manufactured to sell). and copying something you otherwise wouldn't attain but are not depriving paying customers from buying. Now you can say that you have no right to get something that someone made with the intention to sell regardless of weither or not you intent to buy it, or are not capable of paying for it. you can say whatever at this and argue morality or how we differentiate between the value of manufacturing something and taking it and getting a team of coders to work many hours producing(coding w/e) software. They worked hard to make it and your not taking their product from a store or from their bandwidth. This i think is the reality of the argument and is a more accurate image. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By KaosAngel
@Fish_Face_McGee said:
"@KaosAngel:   They're defending piracy because, for some reason, they find nothing wrong morally with it.  "
That's a real shame.  What a disgraceful generation we're becoming.  I pay for all my stuff, music, games, movies.  I can't buy some stuff because I don't have money at times.  Sure I could pirate but I don't, and it has nothing to do with going to law school...and the fact that if I was ever caught doing that, I'd be kicked out in a second.
trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By trebert
@Fish_Face_McGee:   They're defending piracy because, for some reason, they find nothing wrong morally with it.  

It's a difference in what is perceived as "condonable"(acceptable or whatever) piracy.  You yourself admit that piracy when you exhaust every option to compensate the content creator is condonable and it stops being condonable when you have the option to pay for it regardless of financial circumstance or inconvenience in obtaining the platform where you can support the content creator . Though all forms of piracy are equaly illegal(save for when you make money selling pirated copies which is universally accepted as a dick move).. Or is otherwise viewed as wrong if you observe a strict black and white no room for gray sense of morality. Regardless of what's condonable. Even if there is no avenue for you to pay for someones work you don't have a right to experience it if they sought profit for it. (an extension of your logic to this black and white sense of morality) Its the observance of gray that is perhaps the problem.  

Obviously the world isn't black and white and there are levels of what is acceptable and in reality people generally don't want to "hurt" the creators of the content they love in both cases hurting the content creators is the line of of what is condonable. I really dont see myself as hurting the content creators if i otherwise honestly wouldn't be able to get or are willing to pay for their content.  Assuming you genuinely(Want to emphasize honesty in this) couldn't pay for it yet they make it available its the fact that there is a place where it is morally acceptable to pirate something that allows you to extend the requirements of this 'region' within the bracket that is filed under "condonable" piracy. At least in my case, I see my pirating of anything for any reason as morally within the spectrum of  "wrong" but the parts that are close to good i can live with.  

I started pirating without regard for the people that made stuff after pirating the sims, mostly because i could and i didn't consider the situation from the shoes of content creators. People rarely do until it a/effects(too lazy to look it up)  them and that is when people move there line of acceptability. For me it when ensemble was died. Though i still pirate stuff and i can directly attribute my exposure to purchase and love of games/franchises as well as telling my friends to check it out.  morally its still unjustified but it's a reality of the platform and it isn't entirely negative so long as gamers care about the future of the games they play and support the creators of the games they love.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By KaosAngel
@trebert: Let's be honest, they only pirate because they know they won't get caught and they know lawyers don't want to do copyright cases because it's a waste of their time.
trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By trebert
@KaosAngel:  I cant speak for "they"  only myself and the community's i associate with. And within this group your statement is only a factor in pirating something. As the chance of getting caught is a factor in committing any level of crime. Though i propose that those who blatantly pirate games and franchises whose sequels they would like to see and never support the franchise do so (even in cases where people use lack of money as a excuse) because they haven't experienced not being able to play thief 3 because not enough money was made from 2 and 1. Obviously interchange franchises. That was my experience with piracy I didnt think about it from anywhere outside my own perspective because i was young and because as you said i could do it without getting caught. But eventually you do haphazardly pirate Civ 4 because you heard is a good game and play it for 100+ hours and feel guilty as you should for not supporting it. I think this is simply human nature atleast decent human nature, atleast in my mind.
Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#321  Edited By Rebirth1337
@KaosAngel said:

" Why are people in this thread defending piracy?  Would you defend murder or Anti-Trust laws?    It's copyrights...and the stealing of copyrights. "

Oh god... Sorry about bringing this back up but do you really think making a copy of a game, book, movie, song or anything else you can download is the same as killing a human. 
Look by said law yes piracy is wrong but it's nowhere near the same as robbing a physical item or killing someone.
S2333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By S2333

It is still an object that has value regardless of whether it is in bits or not.
It is not acceptable either way. The point is to get money to afford goods and the reason you are a student is to obtain skills to get a job.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@S2333 said:
" It is still an object that has value regardless of whether it is in bits or not. It is not acceptable either way. The point is to get money to afford goods and the reason you are a student is to obtain skills to get a job. "
Says who.
S2333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By S2333
@LordXavierBritish: Says the people who create their work. Why should their work that they worked hard to make be 'stolen' for free just because somebody cannot afford it. The satisfaction of buying with hard earned money is better then stealing something and it having no value.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@S2333 said:
" @LordXavierBritish: Says the people who create their work. Why should their work that they worked hard to make be 'stolen' for free just because somebody cannot afford it. The satisfaction of buying with hard earned money is better then stealing something and it having no value. "
I pay for work I respect. 

I pay for work that deserves to be rewarded. 

So many people buy so much shit; what's the big deal if someone pirates it?
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@LordXavierBritish: The fact of the matter is, if you have not paid for the content you have no right to posses it.  That's what most of this comes down to, an enittlement complex that so many people seem to have these days.  The fact that you haven't paid means you haven't done anything to deserve the content you're using. 
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#327  Edited By floodiastus
@commandercup said:
" So, is it acceptable for students to pirate software, music, tv shows, movies etc.? The obvious argument I can see is that students have little to no income and thus can't afford to pay for everything. The general argument for piracy (some things just aren't worth the price) might also apply, but the big ringer is the fact that piracy is stealing period (right?). "
I am a firm believer in piracy. It evens out the cultural experience between rich and the poor. Only people of a certain economic standard  is against piracy. Ask around in piss poor countries what people think of piracy.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @LordXavierBritish: The fact of the matter is, if you have not paid for the content you have no right to posses it.  That's what most of this comes down to, an enittlement complex that so many people seem to have these days.  The fact that you haven't paid means you haven't done anything to deserve the content you're using.  "
A lot of people haven't done anything to have what they deserve. 

Why should I have my entitlement bound by birth right when I have the tools available to alter that state.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By KaosAngel

...if this was GAF half the users in this thread would've been banned by now.  Stealing is stealing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@Rebirth1337: it is the same thing as stealing a physical copy. And waaaaay easier.
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@LordXavierBritish: Oh, so because "a lot of people" do it, it makes it ok?  Seriously, a bandwagon defense?  Your entitlement isn't bound to your birth right.  No one's entitlement is.  However, your defense "when I have the tools to alter that state" makes the "you wouldn't steal a car" argument more and more reasonable.  Your argument supports the idea that someone who can steal a car has the right to own any car he or she sees.  Do you agree with that idea? If not, I would like to understand how your defense does not support the idea that thieves have the right to any object they want.
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @LordXavierBritish: Oh, so because "a lot of people" do it, it makes it ok?  Seriously, a bandwagon defense?  Your entitlement isn't bound to your birth right.  No one's entitlement is.  However, your defense "when I have the tools to alter that state" makes the "you wouldn't steal a car" argument more and more reasonable.  Your argument supports the idea that someone who can steal a car has the right to own any car he or she sees.  Do you agree with that idea? If not, I would like to understand how your defense does not support the idea that thieves have the right to any object they want. "
It isn't a band wagon defense, now you are just putting words in my mouth to aide your own argument. I said that a lot of people don't deserve what they have, I didn't say they were pirates though. There are thousands of people who have been born into wealth or made a fortune taking money from people under false pretenses. The latter is the scum of the earth, they actively make people's lives worse. We don't throw them in jail though, because it isn't technically "illegal." 

The fact of the matter is that a pirate isn't a thief. He isn't stealing a something that has actual value, but an imposed value. You can't say a piece of data has value, because it is essentially worthless. As I've said before, I pay people who's work I respect. I pay people because I would like them to work more, not to own a piece of data. 

I mean let's look at what "owning" means. You can buy a song on iTunes, but you don't own that song. If your hard drive breaks you can't re-download it if it wasn't backed up, you have to buy it again. You don't "own" anything online just because you paid for it, you are buying the right to use that piece of content as long as the copyright holder sees fit. That's the problem with people like you. You hold onto your old ideas of materialism and capitalism that simply don't apply to the web. You can't compare theft to piracy, because the fact of the matter is that it isn't and never will be the same thing.
some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By some1
@LordXavierBritish:
Couldn't of said it better myself.
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@LordXavierBritish: Actually, the fact that you have to rebuy something if you lose it is a fundamental tenet of "owning something." If my house burns down, I would have to rebuy every corporeal possession in there.  I would have insurance on it, but the point still remains.  Hell, if it makes you feel better, imagine I said "posses access to" in every instance that I said "own(s)."  It doesn't change the fact that your argument justifies the actions of thieves as well as pirates, and if it justifies both, then how are they not the same?

Like with the "oh, but what if I didn't plan on buying the software" defense, intent doesn't matter.  Just because you decide to use your purchases to reward people you like doesn't change the fact that you're purchasing access to the content.  When you refuse to pay for access to content you lose all claims to possess access to that content.  When you download that content, you are possessing it illegitimately.   

If data has no "actual value", explain to me what has actual value?  The way I understand it, you're saying that the only value involved with products is the cost of making the physical object.  So by that logic, movies are only worth the cost of film and printing the disc, paintings are only worth the cost of the canvas and paint, and so on.  Am I understanding you correctly?
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fish_Face_McGee: If you pay off a house it is yours. 

If Adobe doesn't want you to use their software anymore, it isn't yours anymore.
HonoredSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By HonoredSamurai

Yar Har Fiddle dee dee being a Pirate is alright with me, do what you want cuz a pirate is free, You Are a Pirate!!!

No Caption Provided
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee
@LordXavierBritish: Yep. Once again, I'm not debating the concept of owning software since no one owns it through purchasing it.
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#339  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

I always pirate shit.Movies,and games.Even though i mostly buy my games.But i always pirate my movies and music. 

Arrrrgh!!! 

That was my pirate typing noise.Did you figure that out?

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340  Edited By Liono88

Good enough argument for me. Anybody whoever disagrees is clearly a Communist. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#341  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

No, and im a student.

Avatar image for blood_for_the_blood_god
Blood_for_the_blood_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Piracy isn't even an option at my college, the internet they have requires you to download a watchdog program that boots you out if you try to pirate.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By MajorToms

I would never consider stealing games, or movies. But TV Shows and Music? 

With how music is being handled on youtube (c'mon it's ALL ON THERE) I wouldn't consider any kind of torrent piracy anymore. If you respect the act enough, buy their records. interesting note: Muscians don't make majority of their money on record sales, they make it from doing live performances. 

At first you could see why they were mad at piracy, but it's almost literally freed them from the record company grip (unless you're bubble gum pop acts like just'a'beiberberbere and shit like that). I think musicians are more concerned with their live performances being broadcast on youtube than they are their studio recordings. 

Now, a lot more acts are releasing their own torrents and trying to get their name out their in better avenues than MTV. Hoping the music journalist websites and magazines pick up on their stuff. of course if they're already famous, they don't even need much coverage, but get it anyways. 

Point being, don't give money to the record companies. They need to burn in hell. 
You want to support an act? Go see them live. 
THAT'S HOW MUSIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN IN. 
Experiencing a live music performance does a lot more for a person than listening to their record ever could.

And with TV shows, they are broadcast on TV (duh) and I don't watch or pay for cable. However, I can always go to a friends house and watch it for free.  Am I a pirate because of this?

S2333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344  Edited By S2333

I believe in giving my money to something that deserves money, that is where I encourage downloading however that is only for evaluation purposes. If you think the creators should be rewarded give them some money, people like to eat and earn money for their hard work. 

What I don't like is people downloading for the sake of downloading, just downloading music 'because they can' and they never give any money to the act. 

However with the case of TV shows I believe downloading them is fair because living in Australia my favourite TV shows come out months or a year after their original broadcast. I  cannot justify waiting to watch my favourite TV show when I could watch it nearly exactly the same time as the original broadcast. 

That is my 2 cents on the matter.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Ineedaname said:
" @Rebirth1337 said:
" Who cares. "
I agree. "
Pretty much this 
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Just do what I do and find ways to make yourself feel better about what you're doing. For instance: "Damn, I just stole Cypress Hill's new album. But hey! I just spent $60 to go see them live, and I'll buy a T-Shirt when I'm there!"

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fish_Face_McGee said:
" @LordXavierBritish: Yep. Once again, I'm not debating the concept of owning software since no one owns it through purchasing it. "
So if no one owns it through purchasing it then you can't steal it because that would imply that it cares some monetary value. 

I mean let's face it, you aren't even pirating software. The software if free. 

You're pirating a license.
bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By bunnyboiler