DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

Here's the story:

Here is another abc video covering the incident.

I think she had every right to do what she did if they came at her with a giant hunting knife while there was an infant present. What Vinny said on the bombcast actually makes some more sense now. Maybe we should all have guns to protect ourselves when all hell brakes loose after the big earthquake hits and the looting begins, or maybe that's just something us people in California are paranoid about. What are your thoughts on this? Would you have done the same in this situation if you had a gun a small child and somebody broke into your home or would you have handled the situation differently?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NTM

I guess it depends. If the other person had a weapon, and they were threatening to use it, and I had a weapon, then yes, I would use it. If he was just some druggy that had no weapon, and I did, then no, I'd probably just go knock him out ('cause I know I can).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I would've shot the bastard too.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Starfishhunter9

@NTM said:

I guess it depends. If the other person had a weapon, and they were threatening to use it, and I had a weapon, then yes, I would use it. If he was just some druggy that had no weapon, and I did, then no, I'd probably just go knock him out ('cause I know I can).

The video said he was armed with a 12 inch knife.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I do not think 18 counts as a teen. 

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I would shoot someone if they broke into my house, but I don't own any guns so I guess I would just yell a lot or something.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@Starfishhunter9: Mm... Alright. Well, my comment can still stand, but if it were in this certain situation, I might, but I would shoot him in the arm where it would have the least chance of killing him.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sasnake

@The_Laughing_Man said:

eight-teen

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By spazmaster666
@NTM said:

@Starfishhunter9: Mm... Alright. Well, my comment can still stand, but if it were in this certain situation, I might, but I would shoot him in the arm where it would have the least chance of killing him.

Yeah but people that have undergone firearms training are not trained to shoot people in the arm (I assume that owning a firearm, that she has undergone some form of firearms training), they are trained to shoot at center mass, which is probably what this woman did. Also shooting someone in the arm is no guarantee that they won't continue coming after you, especially if they are not in a rational state of mind. There's a reason why police are trained to shoot guys in the chest rather than in the arm or leg since it's a larger and more reliable target if you want to incapacitate someone.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Hamz

@SASnake said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

eight-teen

I was about to say that.

One of the fundamental rules of nature is to not fuck with a mother protecting her child.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@spazmaster666: The question was what would I do in the situation, not what do I think she should have done.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What did Vinny say?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Yay guns!

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By spazmaster666
@NTM said:

@spazmaster666: The question was what would I do in the situation, not what do I think she should have done.

Still even if you are a good marksman, it's a much greater risk to try to shoot someone in the arm to incapacitate someone than shooting them in the chest. Shooting someone in the arm or the leg to stop someone from being a threat is really only something that's done in the movies, not in real life. Also, if she were using a handgun with non-hallowpoint rounds (which is what people typically buy for self-defense), a shot in the chest is certainly not guaranteed to kill. A shotgun shot to the chest is obviously a different story. 
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Someone enters your home and puts your family in danger? Your god damn fucking right I'm gonna try and put a bullet between the fucker's eyes.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DarthOrange

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

What did Vinny say?

There was some talk on this weeks bombcast about earthquakes. Here's the full conversation on it, skip to 9:52 to see the specific line I was referring to that Vinny said.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

break into my house while i'm home and i will guarantee that the intruder won't be getting out alive. he or she will be carried out on a stretcher with a sheet covering their corpse.

oasis789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oasis789

Aren't there Castle laws to protect homeowners acting in self-defence like this?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts
@The_Laughing_Man
18 is totally a teen dude.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sooty

What big earthquake?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar

Totally for it. The more I hear about cities cutting back on the police budget, the more I want a gun myself. 

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By crazyleaves

If it was me I would shoot and face the consequences, whatever they may be. That way we have this debate instead of talking about how the baby was killed in front of the mother before she was raped and killed. Simple really. I'm from Texas though.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems fine, but I don't see how this action and Vinny being completely ignorant about: Earthquakes, what kind of effect said earthquakes would have on a coastal metropolitan area such as San Francisco, gun laws and gun ownership, basic human decency, and proper disaster planning correlates to this in anyway. Don't get me wrong I realize he was half joking, but even taking that into account he still sounded like an ignoramus.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NegativeCero

He was clearly endangering her, so she's in the right.

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Voshterkoff

FYI, her husband passed away from cancer on Christmas, leaving her a widow to take care of her child. And I read that her dogs also mysteriously both died before the attempted invasion. Local firearm enthusiasts have donated her a replacement shotgun since hers will be in an evidence locker for who knows how long.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lockwoodx

If this country could get illegals under control then the southwest wouldn't need as many guns.

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Voshterkoff

@Buzzkill said:

If this country could get illegals under control then the southwest wouldn't need as many guns.

The man shot was Justin Shane Martin, his cohort was Dustin Louis Stewart. Please don't be an ass.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Sooty said:

What big earthquake?

There is supposed to be a huge earthquake in California sometime during the next 30 years.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seesic

I didn't listen to the story but if anyone with a huge knife comes at you in an aggressive manor and you're only trying to defend yourself and your child. I'm not one for killing but yeah, absolutely protect yourself even if it means using a gun.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By moncole

If a person break into my house I will find something fast to use as a weapon and beat them up with it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

When I was a kid, maybe ten years old, my younger sister and I were staying at a friends house. There was a baby-sitter watching us.

I can remember a crazy looking black guy that came to the door (we got a peek at him through the window) who started to bang on the door violently just like it sounds in the video. The girl baby-sitting us yelled through the door and asked him to go away, but he just kept banging and rattling the door knob. I'm a little fuzzy on the rest of it. I think she told him she was calling the cops and did call the cops and the guy ran off. It was pretty scary.

I have some rifles packed in the closet, but damn, I need to get a pistol and a shotgun, just in case.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think she was within her rights to shoot him in self defense. He had a knife which gives the impression that he was ready to kill her. He broke into her house (one story said through patio furniture though the window, and another said kicked down the door) and came at her with the knife which would also scream "I'm gonna kill you!" She had a child in her house who was also in danger.

But I was also called a reprehensible individual because I thought a kid stabbing his bully to death for retaliation from being punched in the back of the head should have court mandated counseling. A child who clearly had problems of emotional turmoil from being bullied and having killed another kid because he took self defense a little to far when he escalated the response by using a knife. So what the fuck do I know?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lockwoodx

@Voshterkoff said:

@Buzzkill said:

The man shot was Justin Shane Martin, his cohort was Dustin Louis Stewart. Please don't be an ass.

I'm not sorry the truth offended you.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mordukai

"I Don't want to have to shot this man but I'll kill him graveyard dead ma'am".

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DarthOrange

@Buzzkill said:

@Voshterkoff said:

@Buzzkill said:

Wow dude I thought you were joking (still kinda think you are). Maybe you are a buzzkill :(

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By EpicSteve

Who wouldn't?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Buzzkill said:

@Voshterkoff said:

@Buzzkill said:

All those white people jumping the Canadian border to live in the southwest are taking our jerbs and raping our women! Why doesn't Fox talk about that!?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sooty

@PeasantAbuse said:

@Sooty said:

What big earthquake?

There is supposed to be a huge earthquake in California sometime during the next 30 years.

How come it has been discussed now all of a sudden, is it looking to happen in 2012 or something?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lockwoodx

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Buzzkill said:

@Voshterkoff said:

@Buzzkill said:

All those white people jumping the Canadian border to live in the southwest are taking our jerbs and raping our women! Why doesn't Fox talk about that!?

Those aren't white people those are Natives. Canadians can't stand them either.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DarthOrange

@Buzzkill said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Buzzkill said:

@Voshterkoff said:

@Buzzkill said:

Those aren't white people those are Natives. Canadians can't stand them either.

Are Germans ok?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

well good for her. i would of shot a person also. i don't have a gun so i can't really do anything.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ravenlight

@RubberBabyBuggyBumpers said:

break into my house while i'm home and i will guarantee that the intruder won't be getting out alive. he or she will be carried out on a stretcher with a sheet covering their corpse.

I share this sentiment.