Tell me the pros and cons of having a college roomate.

• 63 results
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By JB16

Well I've been accepted into a University and the day I move out my house and move on campus is just a little over a month away. But freshman are forced to have a roomate and frankly I'm a little nervous about that. You see I've pretty much grown up as an only child so I never had to share a room with any siblings, I have no idea what it's like to share a room with somebody (especially with somebody I've never met). So can you guys who have been to universities tell me the pros and cons of having roomates?

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to the experience of getting away from the parents and living with somebody I've never met before but damn is it nerve-wracking

Edit:  Uh okay people since when did "only child" suddenly translate to "anti-social douchebag"? Just because I was an only child growing up doesn't mean I'm some shy asshole who whines over spilled milk. I've never had troubles fitting in and I've never found myself over-possessive. I've never started shit with somebody over little things and I've always been nothing but laid back. Okay I'll admit I'm a little messy when it comes to room upkeep but so far that's the only stereotype you guys have gotten right.

How about we keep my thread civil, and not just personally attack the OP (a person you know nothing about personality wise) just because you've had bad experiences with only children.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I had my own place, and by that I mean I owned an apartment in the suburbs of Tokyo so I couldn't tell you.  But I could tell you that living alone: 

Pro - You're alone, all your shit, peace, whatveer you wanna do. 
Con - Expensive, lonely, etc. 

I say live alone, it's better.  Can't trust people, and most of them suck anyway. 

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 37

#3  Edited By Jazz

They can keep you up all night 
They can throw you out when they want some time with some random girl 
They can listen to shitty music  
They can be arrogant bastards 
They can have little respect for the fact you have an exam in the morning.  
or visa versa.

and that was just the first term. 
Totally depends on the person you get, if you don't like it ask for a transfer..that's what i did. I moved the next day, got my own room. 
I was really lucky though

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Body Odour. 
Possibly planning to suffocate you with your own pillow. 
Not placing cups on coasters. < The worst by far.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By davidwitten22

My roommate was a friend from high school, so I was lucky in that regard. 

Pros- Someone to hang out with, Something to do, Someone to talk to when bored/sad, When bringing girls over you can say "my roommate did it" about anything the girl doesn't like about your room, Chance to make a new friend. 

Cons- Could be a douchebag, If they have no social life and you have no social life it will limit any alone time, trying to find privacy to jack it, Having to go find something to do outside the room when the roommate has a "female visitor", having to tell the roommate to kick rock when you have a "female visitor", he could be a dirty messy bastard, 

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By silentghost227
@Jazz said:
" They can keep you up all night They can throw you out when they want some time with some random girl They can listen to shitty music  They can be arrogant bastards They can have little respect for the fact you have an exam in the morning.  or visa versa. and that was just the first term. Totally depends on the person you get, if you don't like it ask for a transfer..that's what i did. I moved the next day, got my own room. I was really lucky though "
Basically the same situation I had but he got kicked out after the first semester for bad grades so I got the room to myself which was much better. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

Is she fit?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions

Yeah, it can totally depend on the person. If you're lucky, you'll get someone who knows people and can get you into some cool parties, etc. If you're not into partying, then you may also get lucky and get someone who's just as quiet as you. If privacy or noise become a problem, you can always go study in the library or just throw on some sound-canceling headphones. Or yeah, request a transfer.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kmdrkul

Dorms equate to instantly making a dozen new friends, never ever going to sleep at a reasonable time, and people walking into your room at random to talk to you.  If you keep your door closed all the time, the entire dorm gets the impression that you're a douche.  It's not that bad so long as you don't get a REALLY annoying suitemate

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zityz

Make sure you try to leave any major valuebles at home. and its always good to bring a lockbox for stuff at night. can never trust people now a days.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@KaosAngel said:
" I had my own place, and by that I mean I owned an apartment in the suburbs of Tokyo so I couldn't tell you.  But I could tell you that living alone:  Pro - You're alone, all your shit, peace, whatveer you wanna do.  "
sounds like my personal heaven
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Jazz
@dudeglove:  
Jono..that is all.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Mrnitropb

Oh shit, you're an only child? 
Sorry duder, i feel bad for your future roomie, NOT you. In my firsthand experience, only-children make THE WORST ROOMMATES possible. They usual have: 

• poorer interpersonal and social skills, 
  • very little capacity to share, 
  • but large capacity to take, 
  • little ability to compromise, 
  • generally bad at cleaning room,
  • tend to become either weirdly attached our out-rightly belligerent to RA and staff, to your detriment wither way.
  • they're much more likely to forget to lock doors during..."personal times".
Just empirical evidence man. and heaven help you if your roomie is also an only child, you'll end up having to trade before the 2nd semester.
secretagent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By secretagent099
@Mrnitropb said:
" Oh shit, you're an only child? 
Sorry duder, i feel bad for your future roomie, NOT you. In my firsthand experience, only-children make THE WORST ROOMMATES possible. They usual have: 
  • tend to become either weirdly attached our out-rightly belligerent to RA and staff, to your detriment wither way.
Just empirical evidence man. and heaven help you if your roomie is also an only child, you'll end up having to trade before the 2nd semester. "
This.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Clinkz

I had a high school roommate my first year in college. He made me angry on occasion if I had an exam the next day and he was getting back at 4am (I'm a light sleeper) etc... but overall I realized that he was a good roommate. It gives you someone to talk to and hang out with. Would I trade this situation for living by myself? Probably. But it wasn't bad at all at least for me.

icyroy05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By icyroy05
@kmdrkul said:
" Dorms equate to instantly making a dozen new friends, never ever going to sleep at a reasonable time, and people walking into your room at random to talk to you.  If you keep your door closed all the time, the entire dorm gets the impression that you're a douche.  It's not that bad so long as you don't get a REALLY annoying suitemate "
This, in most cases.
Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Liam_mk
@secretagent099 said:
" @Mrnitropb said:
" Oh shit, you're an only child? 
Just empirical evidence man. and heaven help you if your roomie is also an only child, you'll end up having to trade before the 2nd semester. "
This. "
^
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JB16
@starrjack1 said:

" @JB16:  Only children make the worst roommates.   They whine and bitch when things aren't exactly their way, they suck at cleaning, they have no respect for other peoples space and belongings, in my experience they are always universally terrible.  So really, if your gonna worry about something, worry about not being a douche.  Do you know what your future roommate is probably thinking?  "Hope this guy is nice, though not much I can do about.  Might as well make the most of it!"  He is not posting on forums about how worried he is about sharing some personal space.  Hopefully in this next year of college you take the time to grow the hell up. "

The hell? Dude what is with the hostility? All I did was ask for the pros and cons of roomates out of curiosity and so I could know what to expect. If anyone is acting like a fucking douche its you for generalizing a group of people and personally attacking someone you've never met.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Whisperkill

I'm going into freshman year. My worst worry about a roomate is that he has absolutely no life and would refuse to leave if I brought a girl into the room.

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By actionTACO

eh, seems like you're far more likely to be the douche roommate in this scenario. i present the following pieces of evidence in support: 

1. only child
  2. anime avatar
  3. giant bomb poster
I rest my case.
Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

It's a mixed lot. Just don't be a giant dickhole, really. So long as you're chill and not neurotic it'll all go pretty well.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

For my first year of university I was stuck with a group of people who would play loud music at all times of the day and night, fail to ever take the rubbish out, constantly get everyone on my floor in trouble with the halls manager and wouldn't clean up after themselves (to the point that they'd get drunk, throw up and sometimes not clean it up properly). On the other hand I'm moving into a house next year with some people who are neat, organised and keep things at a fair volume. It depends a bit on what kind of people you like to be around personally, but from what I've heard from people in general random room mates can be a bit of a gamble.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By halberdierv2

depends on the tyupe of person you get. some would even lock you out if they were having sex with their girl.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JB16
@Halberdierv2 said:
" depends on the tyupe of person you get. some would even lock you out if they were having sex with their girl. "
Well I wouldn't mind stuff like that as long as he warns me beforehand and it doesn't happen like every night.
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By DevWil

just stay out of each other's way and be courteous. 

it's really not a big deal.  your RA can smooth over anything you two can't work out yourselves.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead

Roommates are always bad. Flatmates on the other hand are only 80% bad. If you get lucky, it's great, if you don't, get ready to be super passive aggressive in the face of someone else's passive aggressiveness.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By s10129107

Roommates are good for meeting new people and making new friends.  Theyre also good for obnoxious alarm clock habits.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By halberdierv2
@JB16: well, my first roommate gave me warning about it, but due to my study, where i would come back to room at any hour of day or night, i couldnt deal with it, so i moved with someone who was a Christian (like me, but a different denomination). much better for studying.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hicks91

in england everyone gets their own room 100% baller 
going to uni in a few months, gonna be the dickhead i getting crunked as much as possible 

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mrnitropb
@JB16 said:
" @Halberdierv2 said:
" depends on the tyupe of person you get. some would even lock you out if they were having sex with their girl. "
Well I wouldn't mind stuff like that as long as he warns me beforehand and it doesn't happen like every night. "
Um, its alot weirder when they don't lock the door... 
The system my first roomie and I worked out was a small piece of duct tape by the doorknob, that when you needed privacy, you just put over the keyhole. because you have a key, and they have a key, so you can't really lock someone out, so the tape acted as a discrete buffer/warning flag.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

The big thing about being a roomate is 9 times out of 10 you'll either be the guy who's cleaner than your roomate and you'll get frustrated, or you'll be the guy with the cleaner roomate who gets frustrated from the pestering. I've been both. If you can find a person just as dirty as you, you're set.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Pro : You have a life.

Con : You're a lonely person who lives a lonely existence.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Pro: You get to know someone you might not have otherwise. 

Con: You can't spend as much time naked as you would probably like. Unless, y'know, you and your roommate really get along.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By C0V3RT

I'd certainly encourage living with a roomate, adds to the college experience.  Dorms were easily one of my favorite parts about college.

The real X factor though is what kind of roomate you get. 

My first semester I had a guy who'd stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning playing Counter Strike talking with his friends.  I mentioned it to him a few times and he didn't take it well.  There were a few other quirks like always wanting to know where I was going.  He didn't have a car so I was his transportation around town.  Etc etc. Real nice guy otherwise and I still keep in touch.

At semester I switched and moved in with a 2 roomates and it was the best semester ever.  We had lots in common yet gave each other space.   

Moral of the story is do it - and if things don't work out, you can hopefully switch.  If after that you're not digging the roomate thing, you can still explore moving out on your own.
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By davidwitten22
@starrjack1 said:
" @JB16:  And I'm saying you even asking that, along with bothering to mention that you are an only child, just shows that you are likely to be the problem in this roommate situation, not the other guy.  Like someone else said before me, I feel bad for the other guy, not you.  A mature person would just go into this with an open mind and not be nervous about *gasp* sharing personal space.  And yeah, I have had a lot of roommates over the years, in fact I will soon have 5 brand new ones I have never met from all over the country, one of which i will be sharing a bedroom with.  And my experience tells me that anyone who says anything other than "New roommates, let's make the most of this!" is usually a shitty roommate. "
If you weren't feeling even a little anxious about having a roommate for the first time then you were probably a huge dickhole. The fact you're getting 5 new ones and not retaining any is further evidence. 

See I can make shit up based on one post too!
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can be fun.  If you know you're roomate it'll be good but also you'll probably get cockblocked all the time and you'll wish you had you're own place or room at least probably once a day, miniumum.  But it's fun and in a year or two maybe you get a house or apartment.  There you have your own room and the fun of being with your friends in a place.  That's where I'm at and it's awesome, the best of both worlds.

So enjoy and know if you are annoyed that it will get better.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Emilio

Dude, you just have to pray to Cthulhu that you get an awesome roommate.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Emilio said:

" Dude, you just have to pray to Cthulhu that you get an awesome roommate. "

and watch this guy show up the first day:

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vision

Fixed that for ya.

No Caption Provided
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

My college dorm roommate was a pretty good guy. We never became close friends, but we got along fine. He was a pretty normal dude, but brought chicks home ALL the time. I'm not just talking on the weekends, he even  brought chicks home at 11 am on a Monday. I guess the guy had skills so I couldn't hate on him for that. I spent a lot of time at my girlfriends who had an apartment since my roommate would have chicks over all the time. It worked out fine. The next year I got a house with some friends.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JB16

@starrjack1

said:

" @JB16:  And I'm saying you even asking that, along with bothering to mention that you are an only child, just shows that you are likely to be the problem in this roommate situation, not the other guy.  Like someone else said before me, I feel bad for the other guy, not you.  A mature person would just go into this with an open mind and not be nervous about *gasp* sharing personal space.  And yeah, I have had a lot of roommates over the years, in fact I will soon have 5 brand new ones I have never met from all over the country, one of which i will be sharing a bedroom with.  And my experience tells me that anyone who says anything other than "New roommates, let's make the most of this!" is usually a shitty roommate. "

Sooo because I made a thread about this I won't be "making the most of it". Since when did wondering about a new lifestyle make me some child who can't adapt? Jesus Christ if you're this judgmental towards everyone you meet then I feel sorry for your roomates because you fit the bill of being a condescending asshole. If you truly believe that nobody is a little nervous about living with someone they've never met then you seriously need to get out more, "making the most of it" or not. 

Seriously I don't get where you get this crazy logic from? "Hey this guy's nervous so he must be an asshole!!!" In what state of mind does your dumbass have to be for that to make sense?

@davidwitten22

said:

" @starrjack1 said:

If you weren't feeling even a little anxious about having a roommate for the first time then you were probably a huge dickhole. The fact you're getting 5 new ones and not retaining any is further evidence.  See I can make shit up based on one post too! "
Thanks,  at least someone else can see how much of an unreasonable judgmental douche   that guy is being.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mrnitropb
@JB16 said:
"  

@starrjack1

said:

Sooo because I made a thread about this I won't be "making the most of it". Since when did wondering about a new lifestyle make me some child who can't adapt? Jesus Christ if you're this judgmental towards everyone you meet then I feel sorry for your roomates because you fit the bill of being a condescending asshole. If you truly believe that nobody is a little nervous about living with someone they've never met then you seriously need to get out more, "making the most of it" or not. 

Seriously I don't get where you get this crazy logic from? "Hey this guy's nervous so he must be an asshole!!!" In what state of mind does your dumbass have to be for that to make sense?

@davidwitten22

said:

" @starrjack1 said:

If you weren't feeling even a little anxious about having a roommate for the first time then you were probably a huge dickhole. The fact you're getting 5 new ones and not retaining any is further evidence.  See I can make shit up based on one post too! "
Thanks,  at least someone else can see how much of an unreasonable judgmental douche   that guy is being. "
Er, no he's closer to right. Sorry.
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mighty

Pros: Cheaper, Easier to cheat 

Cons: Smells like a rat's-ass and it's dirty (if you get unlucky).  

It really is fun though.
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JB16
@Emilio said:
" Dude, you just have to pray to Cthulhu that you get an awesome roommate. "
As long as the guy doesn't start shit with me I don't see how I'll have a problem. I dont mind being "sexiled" as long as it isn't everyday, and I don't mind him being messy (as long as he isn't piss on the floor messy).
m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By m2thek

Roommates can be your best friends at school if you get along.  

Just be upfront with any requests you have, for example, if you like to go to bed at a certain time, if you are a germaphobe, etc. 

I recommend not being passive agressive to your roommate, as that almost always leads to a big angry confrontation. 

If you don't get along with your roommate, just make the best of it, but do do your best to make friends with them.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mrnitropb
@m2thek said:
 I recommend not being passive agressive to your roommate, as that almost always leads to a big angry confrontation.  
Quoted for truth! Don't be passive aggressive, it makes all things worse. Don't leave notes, don't hide food, don't steal the remote, or the power cables to tv/pc/xbox, or the toilet paper. Don't 'accidentally' allow a pet to enter into a situation that may or may not cause its demise. don't leave dregs of milk or juice. Don't stay up till 3 am sharpening your axe with a whetstone. Don't intentionally make thier friends and specifically GF uncomfortable because you want them around less.

I am not making up any of these, all real life. All only children.