Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I volunteered to deploy to Afghanistan back in 2010. In 2011 I finally got the call to come out here during my second day as Whiskey Media intern (remember Whiskey Media?). I will write a more personal blog about my war experiences and such, but felt that a thank you to all of you badass duders deserved to be separated into its own blog. I've gotten an amazing amount of support. Someone's always being super nice on Twitter and logging onto GiantBomb for the first time in months, I found my inbox flooded with supportive messages. I'm 99.9% sure I've responded to everyone.

CharlesAlanRatliff organized a game donation, calling upon the GiantBomb community to send some games to my platoon. It was met with great success, and we all appreciate it! Our days are pretty hectic, but during down time it isn't like we go down to the bars. All games that were sent to me will be donated to Veteran's Hospital in Cincinnati. I also wanted to thank my Twitter followers for emailing me GiantBomb articles and generally keeping me updated on the real world. My shitty dial-up speed bandwidth doesn't allow me to freely browse the Internet and GiantBomb.com is blocked from my location for being a "video streaming site". Also, thank you Ryan Davis for sending us some much appreciated GiantBomb media and being incredibly supportive.

I look forward to my return home in two weeks. I'll be downing some Yuengling, chilling on these boards with you guys, and probably checking out some Diablo III. Thanks duders, for being a collection of the most badass Internet people, ever.

-Steve

@stevenbeynon

#1 Edited by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I volunteered to deploy to Afghanistan back in 2010. In 2011 I finally got the call to come out here during my second day as Whiskey Media intern (remember Whiskey Media?). I will write a more personal blog about my war experiences and such, but felt that a thank you to all of you badass duders deserved to be separated into its own blog. I've gotten an amazing amount of support. Someone's always being super nice on Twitter and logging onto GiantBomb for the first time in months, I found my inbox flooded with supportive messages. I'm 99.9% sure I've responded to everyone.

CharlesAlanRatliff organized a game donation, calling upon the GiantBomb community to send some games to my platoon. It was met with great success, and we all appreciate it! Our days are pretty hectic, but during down time it isn't like we go down to the bars. All games that were sent to me will be donated to Veteran's Hospital in Cincinnati. I also wanted to thank my Twitter followers for emailing me GiantBomb articles and generally keeping me updated on the real world. My shitty dial-up speed bandwidth doesn't allow me to freely browse the Internet and GiantBomb.com is blocked from my location for being a "video streaming site". Also, thank you Ryan Davis for sending us some much appreciated GiantBomb media and being incredibly supportive.

I look forward to my return home in two weeks. I'll be downing some Yuengling, chilling on these boards with you guys, and probably checking out some Diablo III. Thanks duders, for being a collection of the most badass Internet people, ever.

-Steve

@stevenbeynon

#2 Posted by Fattony12000 (7292 posts) -

Come on back and get those hot video streams!

Thanks for all the fish.

#3 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

That is really awesome, duder.

#4 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

Wow, it's awesome how much support you've gotten over your deployment -- sometimes we take for granted how cool our community can be and this definitely exemplifies that!

Having just returned from a month of USAF officer's training at Maxwell Air Force base, it's great and pretty inspiring to hear from duders who have been and are down range. Safe travels on your way back!

#5 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Wooo! Thank you for serving our country and I await your return home! It's also really cool that so many duders helped you out during your situation. :D

#6 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

There are no badass duders here. Only the men and woman who put their ass on the line are badass. Thanks you again for your service and as always stay safe.

#7 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I'm glad you're well, man. Have a safe trip home.

#8 Posted by CaLe (3959 posts) -

I wouldn't go to Afghanistan if I were you. Sounds like a bad move.

#9 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Get home safe brother! x

#10 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

Can't wait to see you back in the fold in the community, man. :'D Get home safely!

#11 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

Thank you doing something not everyone can; putting your life on the line to protect your country's ideals. Good for you and have a safe trip home.

#12 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

Nice one. Hope you all make it home safe.

#13 Posted by ZombiePie (5636 posts) -

Alright everyone let's try to maintain a certain level of decorum here. Either wish Steve well in his return home or don't comment at all.

#14 Edited by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

This one goes out to our man Epic Steve!

Thank you for your service and courage, Mr. Epic.

#15 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

Welcome back Steve! :)

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Now I feel old, having seen you leave for duty and coming back! 
Good to read though, this community is the best!

#17 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Glad you're alright mate, hope everything is awesome for you once you get home

#18 Posted by TruthTellah (8777 posts) -

That's great that you're doing well. Hope you'll be able to get back in the swing of things lickity split!

#19 Edited by Giantstalker (1625 posts) -

Cheers from a fellow who was there two years ago.

I have a high opinion of the US troops we (Canadians) worked with, you guys have a well-deserved reputation for getting the job done.

Welcome home, wherever that may be for you.

#20 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Nice! Great to see you coming home man!

#21 Posted by Devil240Z (3324 posts) -

Thanks for doing your thing out there duder. Hero status.

#22 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

Nice to see you back here safe and sound, can't wait to hear about your experiences in Afghanistan.

#23 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

I actually got a little excited seeing you post! Have batman good sir, see you on here soon!

#24 Posted by Ben_H (3341 posts) -

Good to hear everything is going good. Happy to see you'll be back soon. OG GBers always support each other.

#25 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Please get home safe. (I didn't say come, because I am not from the us)

I don't want you to get hurt or killed :(

#26 Posted by pweidman (2324 posts) -

Really great to hear you're well there and coming home soon. Big fat welcome home duder.

#27 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Nice, glad to hear you'll be back soon. I'm looking forward to your future blog posts.

#28 Posted by Slag (4244 posts) -

That's awesome !

And thank you for your service to our country

#29 Posted by JCTango (1361 posts) -

@EpicSteve: Come back soon, good man!

#30 Posted by iFail (236 posts) -

Stay safe. Glad to hear from you again.

#31 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

This forum isn't the same without you dude, I hope you know that. :)