The Hazards of Computers

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By macandcheese

So as you know I brought my computer with me on the trip(well duh ive been blogging and using the internet). So th hostel I am at has unlimited internet and after taking advanage of it last night to update all my podcasts adn chat wih my mom I put the computer into Hiberntion, when I got up this morning I turned the laptp on to find myself face to face with th Linux (opn source OS i use) eqievalant of the blue screen of death. 
Now for Linux this looks less like a blue screen and more like a wall of text, imagine your computer got stuck on all he stuff tha appears when it first stated up, all the letters and numbers that you have absolutly no idea what hey mean. So to begin with I did not panic, Ubuntu is very good about having built in help functions that will vluate and fix the problems for you, I started i up and much to my chagrin it gave me the same error. Now I strted to panic, I didn't realize until just then how much I use my laptop, it charges my Ipod which is a sourc of entertainmnt and helps to kep me calm when I think things are going wrong, I store my photos on it, use it to update my blog an get podcasts, stay up to date with news. The single biggest thing that occurd to me was that I have a spreadsheet  have been using to kep trac of my money and that is a vry important thing that I was losing. 

The Hostel im in has free computers with internet so I immeidiatly hopped onto the Ubuntu support forums )one of the best resources for fixing and broken computer runnig Ubuntu). I locateed the problem pretty quick and found that it was that the OS no longer found the hard drive and you could fix it but you needed a Ubuntu install CD, of which I have none, after poking around I found you could do it with a USB drive and went to the nearest electronics store. Now if you know me you may know I LOVE video games, and what do you expect to find at an electronics store...video games, I had to walk through a large selection of everything I ws missing including games that I had missed the realease of and all I could do was drool knowing it was not possible t bu them for a multitude of reasons. I got eh USB drive and I am trying to put on the installer but for now

=

My laptop is Bricked
Yeah I'm still in the process of trying to fix this so I wil update the blog with anyting new that happens

Edit
So the update is that I tried to make a USB install of Ubuntu and that failed so tomorrow I have to go and buy a disk so I can do a Ubuntu LiveCD adn that should at least give me back the internet and basic computer functions, from there I may have to just leave the other files alone unti I get home or try to find a work around.
macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By macandcheese

So as you know I brought my computer with me on the trip(well duh ive been blogging and using the internet). So th hostel I am at has unlimited internet and after taking advanage of it last night to update all my podcasts adn chat wih my mom I put the computer into Hiberntion, when I got up this morning I turned the laptp on to find myself face to face with th Linux (opn source OS i use) eqievalant of the blue screen of death. 
Now for Linux this looks less like a blue screen and more like a wall of text, imagine your computer got stuck on all he stuff tha appears when it first stated up, all the letters and numbers that you have absolutly no idea what hey mean. So to begin with I did not panic, Ubuntu is very good about having built in help functions that will vluate and fix the problems for you, I started i up and much to my chagrin it gave me the same error. Now I strted to panic, I didn't realize until just then how much I use my laptop, it charges my Ipod which is a sourc of entertainmnt and helps to kep me calm when I think things are going wrong, I store my photos on it, use it to update my blog an get podcasts, stay up to date with news. The single biggest thing that occurd to me was that I have a spreadsheet  have been using to kep trac of my money and that is a vry important thing that I was losing. 

The Hostel im in has free computers with internet so I immeidiatly hopped onto the Ubuntu support forums )one of the best resources for fixing and broken computer runnig Ubuntu). I locateed the problem pretty quick and found that it was that the OS no longer found the hard drive and you could fix it but you needed a Ubuntu install CD, of which I have none, after poking around I found you could do it with a USB drive and went to the nearest electronics store. Now if you know me you may know I LOVE video games, and what do you expect to find at an electronics store...video games, I had to walk through a large selection of everything I ws missing including games that I had missed the realease of and all I could do was drool knowing it was not possible t bu them for a multitude of reasons. I got eh USB drive and I am trying to put on the installer but for now

=

My laptop is Bricked
Yeah I'm still in the process of trying to fix this so I wil update the blog with anyting new that happens

Edit
So the update is that I tried to make a USB install of Ubuntu and that failed so tomorrow I have to go and buy a disk so I can do a Ubuntu LiveCD adn that should at least give me back the internet and basic computer functions, from there I may have to just leave the other files alone unti I get home or try to find a work around.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

That shit sux big time, brother. Bricked electronics can kill any trip. Sex some girls up where ever you're at to get your mind off that shit.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Smarter_Martyr said:
" That shit sux big time, brother. Bricked electronics can kill any trip. Sex some girls up where ever you're at to get your mind off that shit. "
I agree with this man ......or girl ? oh wait girls don't use the internet
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
@turbomonkey138: I'm a duder, although I occasionally  enjoy a good cry. Especially when shit bricks. Then I shit bricks.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RetroIce4

That sucks. I partially bricked my Wii. Freaked out and got it back after like 4 hours.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Must be so painful walking through that store! Good luck with your laptop.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By teh_destroyer

Sounds like your laptop over heated :(.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bricked in a foreign country too. Good luck Mac.

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By macandcheese
@teh_destroyer: No, as far as I can tell from my browsing the Ubuntu support pages is that the GRUB system has lost contact with the hard drive. It may have something to do with me dropping the laptop....The worst part is even if I fix it I can only back things up before I have to wipe the hard drive (at least as far as I can tell)
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer
@macandcheese: well that sucks a bit more, my roommates laptop just blew up on him, and he can barely even use it anymore, he has had it for almost 8 years now so its time for him to replace it anyways. He went in to Best Buy today to go pick up a brand spankin new one, but they pulled all there older vista/xp models out because windows 7 will be released in like 2 days, so he has to wait at least another week before he can get a new one.
tatsuyame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tatsuyame

I had a similar experience back when I dual booted. I decided I no longer wanted Ubuntu, so from Windows I just formatted that partition and merged it back into one big one. Well, I forgot I used GRUB as my boot loader. GRUB, as you could imagine, had trouble finding what it needed to boot, so I had to fire up my old P4 box and browse for the new command on the Vista install cd that installed the bootloader. That was one hell of a night.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

dang that sucks a lot. it sucks even more when u really want the computer to be working but doesn't. i hope u get ur computer working again.