• 60 results
Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I, as someone who feels a great lingering sense nostalgia for the late nineties, always assumed that everyone else felt the same way, until recently. You see, the other day, I was talking to someone about the artistic merits of the song "Millennium" by Robbie Williams, when he chimed in with "Man, the late nineties really sucked". Naturally, such a sacrilegious statement caught me off guard. The late nineties, suck? Preposterous! Anyway, I wonder if my nostalgia is merely a regard for my childhood (I wasn't particularly old in the late nineties) or if I have an actual appreciation of the era. 

What do you think of the late nineties? Were they good or did they suck? 
What time frames do you feel nostalgia for? Do you like the time period that you were young in?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, as someone who feels a great lingering sense nostalgia for the late nineties, always assumed that everyone else felt the same way, until recently. You see, the other day, I was talking to someone about the artistic merits of the song "Millennium" by Robbie Williams, when he chimed in with "Man, the late nineties really sucked". Naturally, such a sacrilegious statement caught me off guard. The late nineties, suck? Preposterous! Anyway, I wonder if my nostalgia is merely a regard for my childhood (I wasn't particularly old in the late nineties) or if I have an actual appreciation of the era. 

What do you think of the late nineties? Were they good or did they suck? 
What time frames do you feel nostalgia for? Do you like the time period that you were young in?

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By left4doof

I love me some Friends

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FajitaBoss

Was the late 90s great? 
It was:

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fajita_Jim

What time do I get nostalgic for? The mid-80's. Good cartoons on Saturday morning (Looney Tunes, Dungeons & Dragons, The Littles, The Amazing Spider Man) and even better cartoons weekdays after school (Transformers, He-Man, GI Joe). Plus, we had REAL alternative and punk music: Black Flag, Dead Milkmen, Janes Addiction, etc.

Movies were the best: The Goonies, Stand By Me, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Breakfast Club...shit that actually had more than big names and CGI.

The Early 90's were pretty good, too. Good after-school cartoons (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Batman the animated series, Tailspin), music going everywhere, etc.

I say everything changed when I went to see Independence Day. The world I left when I walked into the theater is the not world I walked back out into. 

The late 90's didn't have much new and interesting outside of a few video game releases (two thumbs up for Ultima Online before the carebears ruined it). The music went all dance and/or bubblegum. Except for Saving Private Ryan, most of the movies were over-hyped CGI bullshit (Armageddon, Deep Impact, Godzilla, etc.) and the Internet began to become overly commercialized.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikeeegeee

I DECLARE THAT THE LATE 90'S WERE  . . .  . .  alright.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Gabriel

Late 90's were boring, can't really remember what was happening besides the preparation for the Willenium.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JokerFrown

Late 90's were ok. Early 90's though. AMAZING!!!!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brendan

I was a growing boy in the late 90's, and when I look at stuff from the those few years I feel no nostalgia for them. They kind of sucked.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Kyreo

The 90s where like... the teens. Some of this shit seemed coo THEN, but most of it is LAME looking back. Toys, for instance. Skippits and Pogo balls and the like.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

I thought I had a lot of nostalgia for the 90s, but I went and re-visited a lot of that stuff this years and it's pretty shitty. I'm pretty sure the 90's suck (Not from an economic standpoint, but from culturally.)

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Better president. But worse hair. But it all evened out, because we got jiggy with it. Big Willie style.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By TehFlan

3 words: Ocarina of Time.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stonyman65

Everything after 1996 or so sucked ass. Some would argue that everything after 1989 sucked too, especially with music.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By OllyOxenFree

POKEMANZ

broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By broqz

i feel the 90's as a whole were a weird cultural hodgepodge.  is was like every fad had one more shot before the end of the century . i mean come on, there was even a short lived swing revival.  

Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Natesaint

Early nineties were good, late nineties had Chumbawumba and Smash Mouth. 'Nuff said. And Nu Metal became big in the late nineties, I still remember Limp frickin' Bizkit becoming big. Hacks. Damn, 1996 onward sucked, and the 2000's were nothing to look at either. Yikes.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust

Late 90's were just okay.  I played a lot of PC games and watched The X-Files and Sailor Moon on TV.  I remember listening to a lot of new country then, too; Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, etc... that and "Closing Time" from Semisonic over and over again.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By rawrnosaurous

The 90's were great but you have to classify that statement with what particular things were great in the 90's. Some were great like cartoons and teenage shows like All That, Keenan and Kel, Clarissa Explains it all, Animorphs, Pete and Pete, those were great shows. Even a bunch of more mature shows were doing great, Buffy and friends for example. Music was going decently which started to really take a turn for the worst in the late 90's early 00's with the whiny angst driven rock, and the slow move to making Rap something of a joke of what it was in the earlier 90's.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By veektarius

If we look at this objectively, people wanted to party like it was 1999 before 1999, but after 1999 they didn't want to nearly as often. We can infer from this that most people did not think highly enough of 1999 to hold it up as a shining example of how to party.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JasonR86

I'm bummed that people are nostalgic for the late 90s.  I'm not old enough to feel old but Goddamn.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the late nineties sucked

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jams

@Fajita_Jim said:

What time do I get nostalgic for? The mid-80's. Good cartoons on Saturday morning (Looney Tunes, Dungeons & Dragons, The Littles, The Amazing Spider Man) and even better cartoons weekdays after school (Transformers, He-Man, GI Joe). Plus, we had REAL alternative and punk music: Black Flag, Dead Milkmen, Janes Addiction, etc. Movies were the best: The Goonies, Stand By Me, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Breakfast Club...shit that actually had more than big names and CGI. The Early 90's were pretty good, too. Good after-school cartoons (Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Batman the animated series, Tailspin), music going everywhere, etc. I say everything changed when I went to see Independence Day. The world I left when I walked into the theater is the not world I walked back out into. The late 90's didn't have much new and interesting outside of a few video game releases (two thumbs up for Ultima Online before the carebears ruined it). The music went all dance and/or bubblegum. Except for Saving Private Ryan, most of the movies were over-hyped CGI bullshit (Armageddon, Deep Impact, Godzilla, etc.) and the Internet began to become overly commercialized.

Pretty much this.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By tebbit

When did the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles happen? Because... then.

The late 90's were marred by me growing up and realising the world was not as magical as it once seemed.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sirdesmond

I feel like all decades for always have been just about as good as any other, it all just depends on your perspective. The people who hate the late 90s were probably not of that formative age that you were at the time or had a bad life situation at the time, etc. so they see a different time period as their days-gone-by golden-age.

I loved the late 90s, I loved the 80s (even though I was only marginally alive for them), and right now is pretty awesome too.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Shadow

Everything worthwhile that happened in the 90s, happened in the second half of them

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By Tordah

The late 90s had some amazing games, but everything else was kinda meh.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By N7

Does anyone else remember Charmed? I was trying to remember obscure shows from those days that everyone seemed to forget about, and then I saw that on Netflix.

To this day, I have no idea what the hell that show was about.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UncleClassy
@Veektarius said:

If we look at this objectively, people wanted to party like it was 1999 before 1999, but after 1999 they didn't want to nearly as often. We can infer from this that most people did not think highly enough of 1999 to hold it up as a shining example of how to party.

Sir, I bow down before your infallible logic!
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By crusader8463

They were the last time in my life I was happy, so they were good for me.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By metalmoog

I look back on the late 90's fondly because of graduation from High School, and all of the other activities that one partakes in at the age of 17. I do remember the mainstream music on the radio was at an all time low with Chumbawumba, Macarana, Spice Girls, Ricky Martin, Nickelback, Default and other shitty musicians poisoning the airwaves.

Oh and Crazytown Butterfly. Fuck me was that shitty song overplayed!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JasonR86: I understand completely. Isn't it just terrible when someone has an affinity for a specific period in time?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

they were alright.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33  Edited By JasonR86
@chrismafuchris said:
@JasonR86: I understand completely. Isn't it just terrible when someone has an affinity for a specific period in time?
It's not that.  It's just...the late 90's doesn't seem that long ago to me.  I don't know, just the idea that that era is nostalgic to someone makes me feel old.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel

I was in high school in the late '90s. It was hell.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TotalEklypse

Nah they sucked just as much as every other point in human history.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@TehFlan said:
3 words: Ocarina of Time.
I'm quoting you for the 2nd time within about an hour. Sir, you are on fire.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By Vinny_Says

it's all about the 1890s up in he-a!!

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hoossy

'99 was Half Life... so there's that.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By yinstarrunner

The late 90s were AMAZING for videogames. For everything else, not so much. But VIDEOGAMES, man.

L4Dplaya19103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By L4Dplaya19103

The late nineties had some awesome music, and if you include the entire 90's, there was that much more. To name some of the more popular ones. PearlJam, Faith No More, Primus, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, just to name a few. I know the people that said the 90's music sucked weren't including all bands, i believe they had MANY, MANY, more good bands than are around today. If i were old enough to go to these concerts in the 90's i would have killed to do so.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Good video games, terrible music.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By dagas

Everything was much newer to me in the 90's so of course I'm nostalgic for it. I can never have a moment again like playing FF7 for the first time which was my first RPG (not counting a few minutes of Secret of Mana on the SNES).

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bribo

Pop-cultural bollocks aside, we didn't have the unending war on terror, global economic collapse or DRM in the late 90's.  And the Dreamcast was still a thing.  Truly, it was the best of times to be a young man ('cos we'd already forgotten about AIDS, and nobody had heard of chlamydia.)

Seriously, right now is always better. Things move on but that old shit is always there. And now we can bring it right back with a quick youtube search.

(I was going to link to a video about the 90's but I couldn't find anything that was less painfull than being stabbed in the groin.)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel

@Bribo said:

Pop-cultural bollocks aside, we didn't have the unending war on terror, global economic collapse or DRM in the late 90's. And the Dreamcast was still a thing. Truly, it was the best of times to be a young man ('cos we'd already forgotten about AIDS, and nobody had heard of chlamydia.)

Seriously, right now is always better. Things move on but that old shit is always there. And now we can bring it right back with a quick youtube search.

(I was going to link to a video about the 90's but I couldn't find anything that was less painfull than being stabbed in the groin.)

Uh, Oklahoma City Bombing and Columbine ring a bell? The OJ Simpson trial? That nerve gas attack in the Tokyo subway?

The '90s were just as filled with shit.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ghost_cat

Romeo + Juliet.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By pjacobson21

neutral milk hotel's "in the aeroplane over the sea" and radiohead's "OK computer"

... I guess the late 90's were ok

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bribo
@Hailinel said:

@Bribo said:

Pop-cultural bollocks aside, we didn't have the unending war on terror, global economic collapse or DRM in the late 90's. And the Dreamcast was still a thing. Truly, it was the best of times to be a young man ('cos we'd already forgotten about AIDS, and nobody had heard of chlamydia.)

Uh, Oklahoma City Bombing and Columbine ring a bell? The OJ Simpson trial? That nerve gas attack in the Tokyo subway?

The '90s were just as filled with shit.

Of course they were, although all of those examples pale in comparison to the world's current woes, except maybe DRM (although most of the internet would argue that that's like the second coming of Hitler.).

These were trivialities compared to what followed. And the very definition of the 90's is that it was mostly trivial.
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By Vonocourt
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By WickedCestus

I was 0-5 during the late 90's, so pretty much everything seemed cool to me.