• 116 results
fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fetchfox

So, who here has started watching The Legend of Korra? I recently picked up Avatar again (not having finished it back when it was airing), and immediately started watching Korra afterwards. So far I've only seen the two first episodes, but it seems promising. Korra is a completely different Avatar than Aang was, and I look forward to see her tackle the spirit part of her destiny. I also love the 1920-30s Hong Kong vibe mixed with some steampunk (airships etc) that's present in the architecture and criminal gangs. For fans of the old series there are several winks and nods, but this is definitely accessible for a new audience as well.

What are your thoughts?

There are older topics about Korra, but none about the show after its beginning, so I see no trouble in starting a new one.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

After the first episode, I was expecting some type of fan fic that turns the whole thing into Atlas Shrugged :P.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SlightConfuse

i like it more than the orginal. Korra is a great character and he supporting cast is great.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By phrosnite

Korra is a great character but the show isn't nearly as good as the original but I don't except it to be. I'll keep watching though.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I think its awesome. I'm glad they seem to be getting the romance stuff out early. I hate it when the awkward glances stage lasts 3 seasons.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Animasta

I like it so far on the whole, except I don't really like the Zuko clone. Amon is much more interesting than the fire lord was.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Animasta said:

I like it so far on the whole, except I don't really like the Zuko clone. Amon is much more interesting than the fire lord was.

Wait, are you suggesting that Amon is supposed to be Zuko? That makes zero goddamn sense.

Oh, and while I'm here, can somebody explain why Korra fucked up her water bending late in today's episode? She's spiraling up toward Amon, and then loses control for no clear reason.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Animasta

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

Wait, are you suggesting that Amon is supposed to be Zuko? That makes zero goddamn sense.

Oh, and while I'm here, can somebody explain why Korra fucked up her water bending late in today's episode? She's spiraling up toward Amon, and then loses control for no clear reason.

no no, Mako is the Zuko clone

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671
I still don't understand where the waterbenders are getting their water from.  It's been a while since I saw the original series, but I thought they had to have some kind of source to bend from like a puddle or something.  Did they change the rules?  Earthbenders still require a source, since they get fed those discs in the pro bending arena, so I assume they made up some nonsense about water benders drawing moisture out of the air or something.

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

I think it was just too high for her to shoot herself.  I suppose there has to be some limit.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Spoonman671:

Or maybe the water under the ring? Or there's an open circulation system running underneath the grating in the ring?

Also, I thought she was constantly pushing herself up, as opposed to some type of spring motion.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Spoonman671: in the probending arena the is water flowing under neath. they pull it out through the grates in the floor. Also remember the whole area is surrounded by water

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I never watched Airbender, but I've been kind of enjoying this. I think a lot of it has to do with pure nostalgia, in a way; watching cartoons makes me feel like a young lad again. It's not a great show, but they do a much better job than I'd expect them to, and the fight scenes can be legitimately cool. Bolin is fucking great, too.

@Spoonman671 said:

I still don't understand where the waterbenders are getting their water from. It's been a while since I saw the original series, but I thought they had to have some kind of source to bend from like a puddle or something.

You mean in the pro-bending matches? I think they're getting the water out through the grates in between each section of the court. My guess is that's fed by the little lake thing down below or something. But yeah, there have been a couple instances where I was confused about where the water was coming from when she's wandering around outside.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671
@Video_Game_King: But they never seem to show them pulling the water out of anything, it just appears the way fire and wind does.  Also, you'll notice that Korra was only using firebending while fighting on top of the dome.  I assume this is because she sucks at airbending, and there was no earth or water up there, which would mean that she couldn't be drawing moisture out of the air, eliminating that theory (unless, of course, she just chose not to waterbend during that fight).  I just don't understand the rules of bending in the current series, whereas I thought it was pretty clear in the original show.

I imagine that regardless of whether she was simply pushing herself up by drawing more and more water upward into the spiral, it would still require her to exert more and more effort, as it would involve bending larger and larger amounts of water.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Animasta

also why the fuck is the show on at 11 am

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671
@Animasta said:

Yeah, that's kind of awkward for me.  I want to start my Saturday morning gaming session, but then I'll miss the show.  Then again, that Clone Wars show was always on at 8 or 9 and I never watched it, so I guess I at least see the show this way.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

@Spoonman671 said:

@Animasta said:

Yeah, that's kind of awkward for me. I want to start my Saturday morning gaming session, but then I'll miss the show. Then again, that Clone Wars show was always on at 8 or 9 and I never watched it, so I guess I at least see the show this way.

I don't even mind, it just seems really odd for being the big Nickelodeon hit of the season... I don't even know what else nick does now though

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 49th

I'm interested in watching it, I loved Avatar even though I only ever saw random episodes, but I don't know when Korra is shown or even if it's playing in the UK yet.

I don't care enough to stream it, but if it ends up on Netflix I'll probably watch it there.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ImaTreee

@Animasta said:

@Spoonman671 said:

@Animasta said:

Yeah, that's kind of awkward for me. I want to start my Saturday morning gaming session, but then I'll miss the show. Then again, that Clone Wars show was always on at 8 or 9 and I never watched it, so I guess I at least see the show this way.

I don't even mind, it just seems really odd for being the big Nickelodeon hit of the season... I don't even know what else nick does now though

all they do these days are stupid sitcoms that aren't even funny

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ImaTreee

i'm liking it so far. the 11 am time is a little awkward because sometimes i miss it but other than that the story is pretty interesting.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fetchfox

@JeanLuc: The show seems to centered more towards teens/young-adults, so love and other topics might handled more seriously and earlier. Those that watched the first series are now older, so it's a great play to get them back, as well as hitting a wider age-group. The first show tackled the topics of love, loss and betrayal (just to mention some) rather well, but was more childish than Korra comes of as. I've still only seen the first two episodes, so I'll have to wait and see if my assumptions are correct.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By ahgunsillyo

I haven't seen all of the original "Avatar: The Last Airbender," but I've watched enough of it to know the general gist of what happens, and from what I've seen, that series is pretty amazing overall.

So I went into "Legend of Korra" as a moderate fan of the series at large, and I think it's doing a great job of picking up where the last one left off as being a series that has something for everybody. I'm impressed with how mature the themes and concepts are even this early on in the series, with the unrest between the Bending and non-Bending populations of Republic City, and the notion of what the Revelation means for Benders. They're tackling some pretty dark stuff right off the bat, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

I'm also really impressed with where they've taken the art style, with the mish-mash of Eastern culture, steampunk and early-20th-century America (they have pagoda cars! What a silly yet awesome design). The animation style continues to be both very detailed and very fluid, which is something I can't really say about a lot of animated shows out there right now.

Finally, I was rather surprised to find out that the voice of Tenzin is none other than J.K. Simmons. He does a great job with the character, and his voice for him is drastically different than the typical snarky barking that he usually affects in his film roles, so his inclusion in the cast is nothing short of a treat. On the other hand, I personally could do with less Steven Blum, because he's been in so many things with more or less the same voice over the years that his voice really takes me out of whatever he's in now.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I'm kind of interested where the show is going. the 1st series had a plain good vs bad. In this series it isn't so cut and dry. It seems to be about an emerging aristocracy/homo superior vs the common man. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@fetchfox said:

@JeanLuc: The show seems to centered more towards teens/young-adults, so love and other topics might handled more seriously and earlier. Those that watched the first series are now older, so it's a great play to get them back, as well as hitting a wider age-group. The first show tackled the topics of love, loss and betrayal (just to mention some) rather well, but was more childish than Korra comes of as. I've still only seen the first two episodes, so I'll have to wait and see if my assumptions are correct.

Oh trust me you are correct.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Getz

Little Korra yelling "I'M THE AVATAR, DEAL WITH IT" got me. Fucking adorable.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlightConfuse

anyone know when the new episode is going to be nick.com?

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By supamon

I've watched the entirety of avatar and really liked it so I'm glad they did a sequel.

So far I have only watched the first three episodes and it's still in the introduction and laying out foundation stages. I'm liking the advancement of technology and the "bender vs non-bender" thing although I didn't think there would be so many non-benders around.

So having only seen the first three episodes and not the others, is the show going to focus on dealing with the Amon situation or does he take away Korra's bending ability, forcing her to go on a journey to relearn all the four elements that culminates into a final showdown? Because what I liked about Aang was the quest/journey and travelling to new places and funny high jinks they get into. With Korra, she already knows three of the elements so I wonder what is she suppose to do after mastering air element. I can't imagine the entire show would just be in republic city.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King

@supamon:

There's no way they're taking her powers away, since Amon said that he can take away bending forever. Besides, from what I've read, they're going to make The Legend of Korra more centralized than Avatar, meaning you won't see much outside Republic City.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By supamon

@Video_Game_King: Maybe being the avatar means her bending abilities can't be locked forever since she can access her spiritual predecessors? I haven't seen her speak with Aang or Roku so who knows?

I guess I'm just waiting to see the major conflict/villian of the show and I can't see the anti-bending movement being it. In "the last airbender" they pretty much showed you the villians from the start.

BTW, how are you able to watch earth tv from the moon?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zombie2011

I really hate the 20's-30's feel of it. The jazz music and radio announcer just make me mad, i really don't like the setting.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

@supamon:

I'm not sure the Avatar's that invincible. After all, Azula was able to lightning the shit out of Aang when he was going full-on Avatar.

Isn't that an argument FOR Amon being the main baddy?

(I watch Earth TV by intercepting radio wave broadcasts.)

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I'm liking it, but not as much as the first series. Things feel more predictable, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I'm really not liking about half the main cast at the moment... but the setting is fun, even if there are some changes I don't like, and I'm willing to give it some time to pick up steam. Maybe Amon will seem like more of a threat when he does more than dodge things and let his lackeys fight.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Nux

I'm likeing it as well. Amon is a really good antagonist and it's nice to see that Korra fears him and hesitates when taking any action agaienst him .Also pro-bending is pretty neat, I hope it stays part of the story.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@Animasta said:

Amon is much more interesting than the fire lord was.

Agreed, I think Amon is a much more complex character than the Firelord. Hopefully there will be an episode that will show Amon's back-story.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By BraveToaster

I like it so far. My only issue is the romance crap.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenlight

1/5 - Not enough pantyshots.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight said:

1/5 - Not enough pantyshots.

That's because I'm certain the only character who wears is a skirt is pregnant.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Sarumarine

I'm enjoying it so far. But I almost think Legend of Korra needs to be split up into two shows. One can be the relationship soap opera so they don't waste entire episodes like "Spirit of Competition" where nothing happens except tease people who put a lot of stock in teenage romance. I get love is a big deal, even in fictional settings, but when you've established antagonists like Amon (voiced by Steve Blum no less) it feels like there are more important things to focus on.

The other show can be the drama where they tackle stuff like Triad gangs, the Metalbender cops, and the Equalists. That material is probably the best part about Korra so far, but hardly gets any exploration except when Amon is crashing the scene to get the plot back on track. We never do hear from the Triad after he equalizes the leaders of the biggest gang in the city. What happens to all those cool looking hot rods? Who will drive them now?

Also, I feel like the casting director is showing off getting Lance Henriksen to play a bit part as the villains' second in command (the Lieutenant I think his name is?) the guy with the electrified batons. We're halfway through the season and he's had like three or four lines. And he just got thrown off the roof of a stadium. I would hope there's a monologue in his future. Surely he's not around just to make a guy with a wicked Fu Manchu sound menacing. Surely there's just enough material to make a really good Modern Warfare 2 or Mass Effect 3 joke somehow? Aliens, at the very least. That's just me, of course.

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By beckley205

I really am enjoying the season so far but it doesn't quite live up to the awesomness that Sozin's Comet Parts 1-4 were. If Amon is such a menace why not just go balls to the wall and bloodbend him? Hey you triad dude without morals, kill him from the inside out. Success!

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Redsox44

I just watched yesterday's episode and it was amazing. All my doubts about this show are gone now. The action was amazing and the teasing of Amon is really interesting ( He's badass! ), I like that they don't just give away his plans and who he is right away, the flashbacks to Aang, Toph, and Sokka as adults were cool, and the whole bloodbending stuff seems like a really cool additional variable.

All in all I think this show is gonna live up to The Last Airbender and maybe even surpass it. My favorite show right now.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@Spoonman671 said:

I still don't understand where the waterbenders are getting their water from. It's been a while since I saw the original series, but I thought they had to have some kind of source to bend from like a puddle or something. Did they change the rules? Earthbenders still require a source, since they get fed those discs in the pro bending arena, so I assume they made up some nonsense about water benders drawing moisture out of the air or something.

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

I think it was just too high for her to shoot herself. I suppose there has to be some limit.

if you are talking about the pro-bending matches, the waterbenders get their water from the "pool" under them.

Avatar image for thekittenmaster
TheKittenMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheKittenMaster

Unfortunately, I never really kept up with the previous Avatar series. I know the basics, which is luckily mostly all I need to understand what's going on in this series.

I love Korra's character, and the supporting character's are all amazing, too. The plot is actually interesting, and hope even more interesting characters are introduced. If this really is a short series (like I've been hearing) then I'll have to finally catch up with the first Avatar Series.

ShrimpDino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShrimpDino

Legend Of Korra is a awesome cartoon :D

it has amazing animation and action scenes plus great funny scenes from Bolin

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Alright, so all of those plot twists were pretty dumb, but I'll actually consider it worth it because they just aired a murder-suicide on Nickelodeon.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Spoonman671
@Make_Me_Mad said:

Alright, so all of those plot twists were pretty dumb, but I'll actually consider it worth it because they just aired a murder-suicide on Nickelodeon.

Yeah, but do you really think that's the end of those two?  Keep in mind, they did just erase most of the serious consequences of the events of this entire season in the last five minutes of the episode.  I'm guessing that nobody is dead.
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@Spoonman671: If either of them show up alive after this, I'll pretty much consider the series ruined. Say what you will about the first series, but they did stick with it when they killed someone off, even if they had to be a little ambiguous about it. That boat scene was about as blatant as they can get with something like that, I think.

Also, how the fuck did the airbenders get captured? There was a whole scene with them escaping! Heroic sacrifices and all!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EXTomar

I did have a feeling that her inability to "master" one of the elements was going to bail out her bacon.

As for the family getting captured, you did see those airplanes Saito built right? Probably could outrun the bison easily.

In general I want to say that benders in general seem to have a blind spot for tech in general. Did not one person in the armada suggest they be cautious about going into an enemy held harbor?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King

DAMN IT! I missed today's episode. Now I have to hope that somebody managed to upload the damn thing to YouTube.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@EXTomar: The army getting taken out so easily was pretty disappointing to see. You'd figure they would have been a little smarter about things, but I'll let it slide as far as problems with the plot go.

And the Airbenders getting captured is annoying because it happened completely offscreen, and because it rendered Lin's entire heroic sacrifice in the last episode totally useless. It also doesn't do much for Tenzin's reputation of losing to everyone, letting his family be taken and all that.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spoonman671
@Video_Game_King said:

DAMN IT! I missed today's episode. Now I have to hope that somebody managed to upload the damn thing to YouTube.

Nickolodeon uploads them to their site every week.  I think they don't archive them until Monday or Tuesday, though.

@Make_Me_Mad: I was hoping that Tenzin would be all scholarly and reserved for most of the season, and then blow out some insane airbending when shit hit the fan at the end of the season, but they had him fighting way too much throughout.  And he got his ass handed to him a few too many times. 
Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By Sarumarine

@Make_Me_Mad said:

And the Airbenders getting captured is annoying because it happened completely offscreen, and because it rendered Lin's entire heroic sacrifice in the last episode totally useless. It also doesn't do much for Tenzin's reputation of losing to everyone, letting his family be taken and all that.

Well, the Equalists did have airplanes, something no one in that universe had seen or dealt with before, so they could easily catch the sky bisons. But it's still weak about Tenzin's family getting captured off screen.