Thoughts on the Apple iPad.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Hey, so i was wondering what everyone thought of the Apple iPad, im going to be looking at getting either an ipad or a notebook at some stage in the next 12 months. From what i can see it is more or less a new take on the notebook, the only reason i would look at getting a notebook would be that i think it would be easier to type on it.  
So, what are your thoughts, will the iPad sink or swim??? 

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

The lack of flash is lame. I'd rather get a 13" Macbook Pro.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

I am a Mac user, but it isn't for me.  I can't justify the cost with it would do for me.   I will stick to the Macbook.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Synthballs

I'd rather get a Notebook/Macbook/Laptop.

It does certainly look interesting but, it's just a giant iPod Touch.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By asurastrike

I already have an iPhone and a Laptop.

ebritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ebritt

It really depends what you are looking for. And if you feel you want something like the ipad, don't rule out other tablet PCs, more of which are coming on the market every day. And they wont carry the apple tax either!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Its a really difficult decision. Functionality or being the raddest kid on the block? 
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrfizzy

Well iv always wanted to try out a mac, but to be honest i dont have the money and i really dont need one seeing as i dont have any need for the graphic design functions. All i really need a computer for these days is email, internet and word processing.  

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Geno

The first generation will almost definitely sink. But with more marketing and more features I could see the second gen succeeding. I imagine their target audience is not power users who need to multitask, but casual users who want to watch a movie in bed or something. 

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By asurastrike
@Geno said:
" The first generation will almost definitely sink. But with more marketing and more features I could see the second gen succeeding. I imagine their target audience is not power users who need to multitask, but casual users who want to watch a movie in bed or something.  "
Is that Audience willing to drop 500-800 dollars when there are much cheaper alternatives?
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Geno
@Asurastrike said:
" @Geno said:
" The first generation will almost definitely sink. But with more marketing and more features I could see the second gen succeeding. I imagine their target audience is not power users who need to multitask, but casual users who want to watch a movie in bed or something.  "
Is that Audience willing to drop 500-800 dollars when there are much cheaper alternatives? "
That audience is not typically aware of cheaper alternatives. 
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfizzy
@Geno said:
" @Asurastrike said:
" @Geno said:
Is that Audience willing to drop 500-800 dollars when there are much cheaper alternatives? "
That audience is not typically aware of cheaper alternatives.  "
I sort of agree with this, also there will be a large "ohhh, this ones an Apple and its pretty!" factor with that audience.  
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
@Geno said:
" @Asurastrike said:
" @Geno said:
I think they are, but choose Apple very deliberately.  I am very sceptical that this will succeed.  I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Geno said:
The problem though is that Apple is locked into a certain developmental progression with the device because it's intrinsically tied to iTunes and the AppStore so matter how much marketing and improving they do the platform's inherent locked in limitations will always be superseded by better, less locked in devices.  How long do you think it will be before MS (who already has much more infrastructure in place - Netflix on XBOX 360, HD On Demand Movies via Media Center and so - all bolstered by world wide Akamai mirrors whom MS is the biggest customer of - Windows Updates have always been via Akamai mirrors) or some other company like HP or Asus comes out with a competitor to the iPad which will be more powerful, just as simple to use and likely cheaper with just as large a library of apps and content?  Not long at all I'd say.  Apple fucked up by making the iPad more like an iPod and less like an iMac Air sans keyboard.  It's already too late.
NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By NakAttack
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Geno said:
The problem though is that Apple is locked into a certain developmental progression with the device because it's intrinsically tied to iTunes and the AppStore so matter how much marketing and improving they do the platform's inherent locked in limitations will always be superseded by better, less locked in devices.  How long do you think it will be before MS (who already has much more infrastructure in place - Netflix on XBOX 360, HD On Demand Movies via Media Center and so - all bolstered by world wide Akamai mirrors whom MS is the biggest customer of - Windows Updates have always been via Akamai mirrors) or some other company like HP or Asus comes out with a competitor to the iPad which will be more powerful, just as simple to use and likely cheaper with just as large a library of apps and content?  Not long at all I'd say.  Apple fucked up by making the iPad more like an iPod and less like an iMac Air sans keyboard.  It's already too late. "
Their are already tablet pc's, and they are far more powerful
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Shadow

Or you could just not buy the overexpensive apple thing just because it's new.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geno
@oldschool said:

" @Geno said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" @Geno said:
I think they are, but choose Apple very deliberately.  I am very sceptical that this will succeed.  I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt I will. "
I don't think anyone who has done their research "deliberately" chooses Apple. It's been their strategy all along.  

@SeriouslyNow

said:

" @Geno said:

The problem though is that Apple is locked into a certain developmental progression with the device because it's intrinsically tied to iTunes and the AppStore so matter how much marketing and improving they do the platform's inherent locked in limitations will always be superseded by better, less locked in devices.  How long do you think it will be before MS (who already has much more infrastructure in place - Netflix on XBOX 360, HD On Demand Movies via Media Center and so - all bolstered by world wide Akamai mirrors whom MS is the biggest customer of - Windows Updates have always been via Akamai mirrors) or some other company like HP or Asus comes out with a competitor to the iPad which will be more powerful, just as simple to use and likely cheaper with just as large a library of apps and content?  Not long at all I'd say.  Apple fucked up by making the iPad more like an iPod and less like an iMac Air sans keyboard.  It's already too late. "
You're completely correct about that, but the iPad has the Apple branding all over it. Its name is even close to the hugely successful iPod. When a 16yr old girl goes to Costco with her Dad, she will choose Apple over HP and definitely Microsoft or Intel no matter what. The vast majority of the market aren't techheads who read reviews and look at specs, they will go with whatever's shiniest and has a name they recognize. The first gen iPad is probably not going to get much sales since as far as I've seen there has been little to no mainstream publicity for it, but after it makes its splash, the second one will be much more well known (helped along by perhaps a better price point as well). 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Geno: 

That really depends on whether or not Apple can keep their costly marketing processes in place.  For now, yes, but eventually their will be other IHVs and media delivery platforms which will directly compete with all of the Apple product range.  I fear their future is not as rosy as their marketing and fanbase would have you believe.

@nk19:

I know.  I have owned many and I still have my Toshiba Portege 3500.  I was illustrating a point regarding Apple's plans for the future and how the market is probably going to become a lot more competitive on the tablet side for general consumers.  Tablet Netbooks such as the Chinese made Viliv and other similar products are in the market yes, but they are rarely back with large scale and highly press covered launches like those at Apple.  In future all it will take is a few of these type of Windows or Linux based products to become more user friendly and to have access to a decent media library and Apple will have a race on their hands.  I can see the ZuneHD++ as a likely competitor to the iPad in future revisions.
Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Alphonzo

There's already the iPod Touch and the MacBook. I don't see any need for a middle ground.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By DCFGS3

I'll be back in a couple of generations when these things are actually useful rather than gizmos.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By ArchScabby

dumb

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By tranquilchaos
@Asurastrike said:
" I already have an iPhone and a Laptop. "
Same here. I'll pass on the iPad.
Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IndeedCodyBrown

If it ran flash and could multitask it would be sold  to me.
rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rmills87

I'm trying to figure out why everyone really thinks this is a super-horrible device. It's for those who also don't need the functionality of a laptop. It's more for casual usage. You can't honestly tell me that someone is buying this to write a novel.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@Meowayne said:

"

Its a really difficult decision. Functionality or being the raddest kid on the block? 
"
Bu..bu..bu..teh windows! it teh suckzors and stuff just like in da commercials! Apple FTW!
Sadly that is what is going to happen, people will flock to a $500 paper weight, and claim it is the best thing sense slice bread. I don't understand why anyone would get an iPad, especially if you already have an iPhone or iTouch which are light-years better than the iPad, and just about any Netbook will kill the iPad in price and functionality.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Osaladin

Do yourself a favor and get an iPhone/iTouch and you won't miss out on anything.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Cerza
@oldschool said:
" I am a Mac user, but it isn't for me.  I can't justify the cost with it would do for me.   I will stick to the Macbook. "
This is exactly what I was going to say.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ninjakiller

Underpowered piece of crap, but knowing mac users they'll gobble it up and force it mainstream.