USA: What will happen first - a gay or Atheist President?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@video_game_king said:

Anybody respond "Gaytheist" yet?

It's sort of creepy how on-the-same-page we are sometimes.

Except in this instance, to some extent.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Foreign perception of the United States never ceases to amaze me. Contrarian was basically the worst.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't read the thread, but I'm going to put out there that a Reptilian president is the most likely out of these scenarios.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@example1013: isn't that every president (except for Andrew Jackson of course)? Is there such a thing as gay reptilians?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbaitso: The closest they've gotten so far was Ron Paul. We'll see how the next election plays out though, because Hillary is also a reptilian, and she has a good shot at the Democratic ticket. Getting her in position was a huge coup for them. THE TIME OF MAN IS NEAR ITS END, AND I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR REPTILIAN OVERLORDS. I mean yeah, you guys are totally fine. No threat of being taken over from shape-shifters who live under the earth's crust here.

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There already were atheist presidents and most likely gay presidents as well. As far as the first to openly admit to being gay/atheist during his mandate ? I'd say 20-30 years. The first to be openly gay/atheist before getting elected ? Most likely never.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@example1013: quick! Build an army of killer robot death squads to stop them!

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbaitso: but then the government will use them to wipe out all of us freedom-lovers, take away our guns, and throw everyone in FEMA concentration camps! It's a lose-lose!

The only solution is clearly to buy every gun available and live out of a doomdsay complex out in montana.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't like the tone of this thread; it's rather condescending, overly sarcastic, and it makes sweeping generalizations. This thread will not end well.

Yeah, for real. I felt gross reading this whole thing.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like religion is an easy thing to get by. I think under most circumstances in my personal experience that if someone asked for my religion for something professional I would say Catholic since I was baptized, but it's not really something I am very serious about since I don't go to church at all and the only real Catholic holidays I celebrate are Christmas and Easter. Even then though, those are more like family tradition get togethers than actual practicing of the religion. With that in mind I feel like most people running for presidency can just as easily say that they are Christian. It would be interesting though to see an open Atheist try to run for presidency I feel like most would not really bat an eye lash at that since as time goes on, Christian believers are starting to become more of a minority in the US and around the world.

I dont know if this is true or not, but I remember reading about some past presidents who were rumored to be gay, if an openly gay person tried to run for president I feel like they would not get very far though...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think either of those are noteworthy, especially the atheist. Both have probably happened already anyways.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What if they let sick elbow drops become the president? That'd be totally chronic.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has to do with America so the simple answer is.... NO FUCKING WAY!!. ask the question in the distant future and if, if shit has got real bad.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

We've probably already had atheist presidents. It's not hard to fake being religious.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By haffy

I thought most of the earliest American presidents were atheists? Or at least very anti-theist.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flawed_system: No other country has had atheist leaders? Really? Really?!!
Sure, there are probably fewer atheists in leader positions around the world than religious, but there are plenty of atheist leaders, to many to name them all in fact, but two examples that pop to mind is the previous prime minister of Australia and the current prime minister of Norway. I also pretty sure most of the Chinese and Vietnam leaders for the past while have been atheists, then you get to the whole part of atheistic religions like Buddhism, Jainism etc.
As for gay leader you can look at Iceland who had the worlds first openly gay prime minister before the current one.

As to the question of what will come first (I presume you mean openly gay/atheist here, since I'm pretty sure along the lines at least one of the presidents of the US was one or the other), I'd vote for openly gay, even though both seem highly unlikely at the moment.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All of the above will probably happen, but not a woman. They're not ready for one yet.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

We have already probably had both, they just didn't admit it at the time. Between Presidents and Vice President there have been 88+ men in office, so statistics say probably at least one was gay or atheist. From 1790 to 1990 there have probably been hundreds of Senators and Congressmen who were either gay or atheist.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By Mrsignerman44

What? Who cares if we had an Atheist president? That wouldn't be nearly as impacting as having a gay president. Stop trying desperately to become an oppressed group.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they don't impose their beliefs( or lack their of) on us, it's fine.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372  Edited By Sploder

Arnold Schwartzenegger

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#373  Edited By Seppli

You omitted the word *Openly*. Pretty sure one or the other President was gay enough to count as a closeted gay man. And their ranks must be laden with Atheists or Atheist-a-likes. Just not outspokenly so, at least not in recent years.

The way things go, with like 30% creationists and other loons amongst the populus? The day will never come.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374  Edited By cheesebob

How about a of Asian lesbian atheist president?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see an atheist or gay president just to see Fox News implode on itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gay president. Plenty of Christians and other theists are tolerant and would vote for a gay president. They would not vote for an atheist president. And atheists wouldn't necessarily vote for an atheist president.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#377  Edited By oraknabo

Abraham Lincoln

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Contrarian said:

A gay Christian or a straight Atheist (leaving out a Scientologist or heaven forbid, an actual Muslim).

What does that mean?

Sarcasm ..... that Americans are generally too bigoted and fearful (irrationally) of anything Muslim. I hope you didn't take that as an insult to Islam? It is the very opposite. It would take a very soft, ultra moderate Muslim to even get started.

You mean like French people? And those French people that were protesting gay marriage laws? #soprogressive

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Atheist, for sure.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure we'd had closet gay and atheists president already.

Not like it would make any considerable difference.

Seems like Americans vote people in depending on personality, and nothing else.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A female president.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@tobiass said:

Such as?

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobiass said:

Such as?

Ronald Reagan, duh.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Who necro'd this horrible thread?

Obviously the answer is both

Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think i'd see a black president of the U.S.A in my lifetime, so I don't feel qualified to say what prejudices the american people can or can't overcome.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#386  Edited By bacongames

Who necro'd this horrible thread?

Obviously the answer is both

Some user that literally has one post which is the one that brought this one back. Figures.

SpencerBoltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By SpencerBoltz

Statistically speaking, Atheists are the most mistrusted group in the United States. I think it's doubtful that one will be elected first. However, never say never.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By darkstorn

I think an atheist President is more likely in the next few decades. While both homosexuality and atheism are increasingly tolerated here in the U.S., I think gayness makes more people uneasy.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By Tarsier

its interesting that people think skin color, sex, and someones preference of where they dip their tip changing in the white house is the new idea of 'progress' or evolution.

all we need is someone who says 'hope, change,' is black, lesbian, feminist, and muslim.. then we have really got it made. time to colonize other planets !

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By Video_Game_King

@tarsier said:

its interesting that people think skin color, sex, and someones preference of where they dip their tip changing in the white house is the new idea of 'progress' or evolution.

Are you saying a lady can't be the US President?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391  Edited By Tarsier

@video_game_king said:

@tarsier said:

hey now! ladies can dip their tips too! talk about gender profiling i THOUGHT this was 2013 guess not

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? Who cares if we had an Atheist president? That wouldn't be nearly as impacting as having a gay president. Stop trying desperately to become an oppressed group.

Atheists are the single most underrepresented demographic in the U.S. I would add that in certain parts of the South and rural areas, atheists are targeted for hate crimes to this day. The SPLC tracks them.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

@video_game_king said:

@tarsier said:

hey now! ladies can dip their tips too! talk about gender profiling i THOUGHT this was 2013 guess not

Ladies don't have tips. They have bulbs.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394  Edited By Sbaitso

@darkstorn said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

Atheists are the single most underrepresented demographic in the U.S. I would add that in certain parts of the South and rural areas, atheists are targeted for hate crimes to this day. The SPLC tracks them.

Pew has done research that shows about 48% of American Adults think that the growth of atheism will be bad for american society as well, although a significant portion also say it doesn't matter, with a small chunk saying it is good. Link to the study. It's worth mentioning that they are not only the most underrepresented, but that atheism is also rapidly growing.