Useless packaging

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I was craving some chocolate so while I picked up a few essentials at the store I picked up an M&M 6-pack. These 'fun size' (and there's nothing fun about their size, they're tiny) packages come inside another package. All six packets of M&Ms fit easily in the bottom 1/3 of the package, the rest of the package is just...there.

Once home, I dragged in the box containing my friends new PC stuff from Tigerdirect that UPS had so kindly left sitting on my front porch, despite the fact that rain was on the way. As I parted out the pieces to begin the build, I noticed the OEM AMD CPU blister pack (yes those bastard things). You could easily fit 9+ CPUs in a package this size. The only other content of the blister pack was the small foam piece the CPU sits on and a piece of paper with a bar code at the bottom, the technical blurb and a minimalistic picture taking up the rest of the paper, except for at the bottom where it says "Please return this entire sheet if claiming a rebate. This entire sheet of paper constitutes proof of purchase." (Underline theirs, not mine). 

As I put the build together, munched down the M&Ms and jammed out to some of my favorite tunes, I started wondering..."WTF man, think how many more CPUs/M&Ms they could ship on the same truck if they reduced the size of the packaging, not to mention the cost of the packaging. And why do M&Ms need a cardboard back?"

CPU fits in the square bracketed by the two half-oval 'so you can get ur fingers in' thingies.
CPU fits in the square bracketed by the two half-oval 'so you can get ur fingers in' thingies.
Now, I know those boys and girls out at Mars/AMD aren't stupid, so there's obviously a reason for such 'wasteful' packaging, right? Right?

So....why? I mean, I've ordered plenty of CPUs in my time and they usually come in a blister pack (yes those bastard things) about as big as the larger inset square in that CPU packaging up there. All my CPUs are OEM so I can't speak for retail boxes. And there's plenty of svelte M&Ms packages that sell just fine (standard and king size bags, for instance) so surely it's not an 'appeal to the consumers eye' type thingy, is it?

And why on Gods green Earth must I keep this entire piece of paper when all I should need is the bar code and SKU?
 The back is completely blank to the eyes of the average human.
 The back is completely blank to the eyes of the average human.
Waste, waste everywhere!

What am I not comprehending?  All that excess space adds up, I'm sure, so there had to be good reason for it. 

(Yeah I think about stupid shit when I'm doing mundane tasks. Keeps me sane, mostly.)
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NickL

mmmm M&M

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Demmetje

Bigger packaging gives people the illusion that they're getting more for their money

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Contrarian

......... and the Vita boxes are massively oversized for the tiny little game itself ........ why? They need to make sure it doesn't get lost on the shelf. At least the DS/3DS is just big enough for a decewnt sized manual.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By mazik765

When I played WoW I bought time card to keep my sub going and every time I bought a game-sized box for one credit-sized-card I could hear a distant tree somewhere crying.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By deathstriker666

Because America

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

Same reason PC games used to come in boxes large enough to require a real estate agent: because "lol".

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eugenesaxe

Buncha reasons:

If it's something you buy in a store, bigger packages=harder to steal.

The AMD thing you pictured? Advertising.

Big box makes you think you're getting a better value.

Added padding/protection.

For your M&Ms, perhaps the big bag is the same size as the big bag they normally use, they just repurposed it for the minis (and seriously, microscopic M&Ms? Screw that, make mine softball-sized).

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm more worried about you eating M&Ms and building a PC. Your expensive new components are at the whims of an errant M&M.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheHumanDove

Because we don't want our goods being all flippy floppy

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Ravenlight said:

I'm more worried about you eating M&Ms and building a PC. Your expensive new components are at the whims of an errant M&M.

Haha, I did have one M&M floating around the bottom of the case for a good minute (before anything was put in it, I was putting the mounting brackets in). 

@eugenesaxe 
Thing is though this is the OEM package (CPU), no one sees it before they buy it.

@mazik765
Yeah that's pretty excessive to the point of just being gross.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Ben_H
@ShaggE said:

Same reason PC games used to come in boxes large enough to require a real estate agent: because "lol".

I still have a few of those. They were awesome.  At least they utilized the space.  On new game boxes they have like 2 screenshots and a tiny paragraph.

On topic, I bought an Asus Radeon 6950 about a year ago and the box was larger than both of the boxes from the Crossfired 5770s it was replacing COMBINED. Not only was there a box within a box in this packaging for the video card, but there were two other little boxes, one for the cables that came with the card, and one for the install CD and warranty info. You can fit two older video card boxes in it (especially Sapphire boxes, they make efficient packaging).  To put into perspective just how monstrous this box is, it is almost as tall as a pop can, and longer than  the width of a 20" widescreen monitor (I would guess it's about 4"(H) x 18-20"(L) x 10"(W).  The card is only around 1.5" x 10 x 3"). 

Perhaps I'll take a picture later, it's absolutely ludicrous.
Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bane

For all of your useless packaging needs I present the Zibra Open-It! Plastic clamshell packages be damned.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's air packaging or something. It allows companies to be cheap, misleading buttholes. Or something.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

i never understood that either. it seems like they would make it to feel like you get more but too much paper/trees.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aetheldod

I think there is a conspiracy by this companies *tin foil hat enabled*

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By swoxx

I've helped my nephews open a lot of toys, holy shit do they tie those down these days.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shaunk

Not just that. The stupid new game cases where the most important part (plastic behind the disc, and the manuals in some cases) are missing. This going green stuff needs to stop. But also stop wasting packaging like in your picture, that sucks too.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karl_Boss

I never understood why they call them fun sized.

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spudtastic

Another bogus practice besides 'fun size' is gradually reducing the weight of products while keeping the price - and often the package itself - the same .

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Dalai

Your first problem is that you bought the fun size pack of M&Ms. Fun size candy is not fun. Party size or larger is more fun. And while searching the largest bag of M&Ms in retail today, I discovered some horrible news.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turambar

Don't go in the stock room of a retail store.  Your heart will faint.  I've seen boxes inside boxes mere millimeters larger holding plastic items each with their own both bubble warp pouch and plastic bag.  Belts that come in big bags each in their own smaller bag and a yet smaller bag that covers only the buckle.  Packaging companies hate the environment.