(video) "A Drop of Miasma"

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

I know you people have been clamoring for a music video, so prepare to be disappointed! Finished up a new song, and excuse my fake enthusiasm in this video, as between recording the actual song and video means that I've listened to it about 300 times in a row...on no sleep. Enjoy!

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

I know you people have been clamoring for a music video, so prepare to be disappointed! Finished up a new song, and excuse my fake enthusiasm in this video, as between recording the actual song and video means that I've listened to it about 300 times in a row...on no sleep. Enjoy!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By jakob187

Riffs are solid, but guitar work could use some cleaning up and a little more depth in them.  What kind of setup are you recording on?

Are the drums a live kit or program?

Other than that, the song is sweet.  Definitely got some skill, sir.  *EDIT*  I love when folks use those sweet triplets, like you got starting at around 3:25.  Thicken those up, man.

Now that I've checked out yours, you should check out mine:  http://www.myspace.com/embracethevillain   I do vocals and program the drums, and my cousin is the guitarist.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lordofultima

I usually stick with the first couple takes, because of diminishing returns with each failed attempt. Most of the riffs were not written until I was actually recording, it's largely improvisational. The minimalist approach is something else entirely, I forced myself to stay with one left channel guitar, and one right channel. It keeps it clean. Not a whole lot of reverb, very staccato. I see what you're saying though. It's just that my sound in the past had been very drowned with the "wall of sound" complex that I thought I'd go in the reverse direction. Thanks for the comments!

The drums are programmed, but stand as one of my achievements in making them sound pretty real. I record through a Line 6 Pod XT Live, with my stock Ibanez RG2EX1. All the instruments that are programmed are done in Reason 4, and the actual tracks are laid down in Acid Pro.

SimpsonFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SimpsonFan

LOL, Buns of Steel!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By jakob187

Coolness.  My setup isn't nearly that professional, lol.  Good to hear you are jammin' on Ibanez, though.  RGs have some killer crunch built into them.  I shred on a '91 Ibanez Silver Cadet with a custom bridge prop...puts my strings just barely 1mm above the fretboard for good straight work.

Left/right is a perfectly fine setup, especially if you are looking for crisp sound on it.  I know what you mean about that "wall of sound" problem, and it's really tough to not create that when you are recording your own stuff.  I'm personally just used to doubling up on the rhythms and then leaving the lead on its own track to get some extra thickness in there.  The track on our MySpace page isn't like that, though...we've got two separate tracks running on that (one rhythm and one lead), but Ben (my cousin) runs dual harmonies on the riffs.  We just put both tracks on both channels because the setup we were using to record only let us hear through one channel, so it's the only way we could hear what we were putting together.  lol

The fact that all the stuff you did there was improv is definitely a bonus.

As far as hardware/software we used on our track, it's all in the blog on the page.  Ben (my cousin, the guitars on the track) is building one of his rooms in his house into a mini-studio, and we should be egg-crating that bitch in about 2 months.  Got a 24-channel mixer in there, plus his Bugera half-stack and two synth boards.  All that plus the bajillion pieces of REAL gear we've got (not like the cheap $8.00 PC mic we used to mic the shit on "Settlement")...and we should be doing pretty good eventually.
pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By pill92

Excellent.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Yeah that was pretty sweet.

I need to get some program/hardware to record stuff into my PC.

RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By RodneythePom

I really liked that! Keep up the good work.