What are the best comedy movies that made your day ? (2013)

• 98 results
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I'm not really in to comedy movies any more, but I'll have to say that at the time:

• Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (these still hold up, I'll always watch em)
  • Anchorman (when it came out, I was 16 and holy shit I think that was the most fun I've had in a movie theatre(
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail is probably one of my favourites.
  • Zoolander (one of the top dumb fun movies)

Most 'comedy' movies that I like now are regular films that have comedic elements (Coen brothers films and Wes Anderson films spring to mind. Pixar films also in this category. I like the Apatow films that aren't just comedies - Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up are solid flicks). I really really liked early Adam Sandler - Happy Gilmore and The Waterboy were some of my favourites when young, but I'm fairly put off by them now. I'll watch them if they come on, but I won't seek them out.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I said UHF 2 years ago. I still say UHF.

With honorable mention to Army of Darkness which is sadly lacking from this thread.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By OceanEve

Some of my favorites are Bringing Up Baby,Burn After Reading, The Jerk, The Producers (1968), Dragnet, The Pink Panther (Peter Sellers), DR. Strangelove, Ferris Buller's Day Off,Naked Gun, Airplane!, O Brother Where Art Thou,Spaceballs, Some Like It Hot, The Odd Couple, Shaun Of The Dead. Just to name a few, but one of my all time favorite comedies is The Wrong Guy. That movie is incredibly underrated and nobody ever talks about it, but it's hilarious! Dave Foley at his best, and a former writer of the simpsons co-wrote it to. So if you haven't seen it I'd definitely check it out! :D

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Ed Wood always gets me. It's weird, because I live for grindhouse/b movie/schlock and here is this personal story..... the whole Orson Well scene kinda gets to me, half of it is Pinky and the Brain's Maurice Lamarche performing as Mr Wells since he's famious for the Froozen Peas bit on Pinky and the Brain and jokes on The Critic..... and yet the scene hits me hard, it's goofy and silly but inspiring.... because they go off to make Plan 9 From Outer Space, it's such a stupid idea that's it's sweet in it's motivation.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wow, no mention of Super Troopers anywhere.

Also, Strange Wilderness is a damn gem and I love when I get to watch it with people who haven't seen it.

21 Jump Street was a damn near perfect comedy for my generation.

Step Brothers is great but I've seen it so many damn times that I've sucked it dry of having any impact on me.

I'm not sure how many more times I can watch Hot Rod but it was hilarious the first couple times.

The first half of Casa De Mi Padre is absolutely awesome but it starts to wear thin in the second half (still alright).

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend Black Dynamite

But given your taste in movies you probably wouldn't like it

For you I would suggest any Adam Sandler movie.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Necros of dumb OPs but interesting concepts. The funniest movies are Princess Bride and Holy Grail, then Mel Brooks stuff and Lebowski. There's a couple of Adam Sandler movies that are still funny though, along with Chris Farley and co.; Anchorman and Old School more recently but comedy is a tough one in general; doesn't really fit pretentious airs and what not (as someone that likes classic movies). The Nice Guys is great from last year (HBO On Demand atm).

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Look, don't judge me, but when I was pretty young I thought that the Beverly Hillbillies movie with Ernest was about the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Now I think The Big Lebowski is funniest movie ever made.

toopopplio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Nice Guys got me going pretty hard.

toopopplio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot Tub Time Machine and Horrible Bosses are both pretty darn good recent comedies.

Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I like a lot of Comedies but I've never seen a comedy that made me laugh continuously. I've seen some really shitty horror movies that made my life my ass off. Final Destination 2 was a piece of garbage but I laughed so damn hard during the entire thing.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Ezekiel

@horseman6 said:

I like a lot of Comedies but I've never seen a comedy that made me laugh continuously.

I don't even look for that in comedy films. I just want a good, charming movie. Such as...

PlayTime, Singin' in the Rain, The Kid, The Apartment (1960), It Happened One Night, Mon Oncle, City Lights.

I also don't seek to be horrified by horror movies. I'm pretty hard to scare and make laugh.

chuck_schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By chuck_schwarz

Yeah watched this a couple of days ago and thought it was great.

The Nice Guys got me going pretty hard.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of good titles mentioned but one movie I always end up watching if I see it on.
Old School.
Cracks me up every time.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything Edgar Wright has directed.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my book there really is only two GREAT comedies. It's Hot Shots! Part Deux and Hot Fuzz. Both gives me the giggles from start to finish. Hot Shots! for all the visual gags and great parodies, Hot Fuzz for being really smart about all it's stupidity and great humor with some visual gags tossed in for good measure.

koukou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Superbad
  • Team America
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Hot Fuzz
  • Office Space
  • Don't be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood

Not technically a movie, but Trapped in the closet is one of the best things ever made

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to take this opportunity to say I don't like slap stick comedy at all. Airplane, Naked Gun, Hot Shots...I don't like any of it. It's the most base, obvious form of comedy, lacking any wit whatsoever, so it just falls really flat and lame to me. The Big Lebowski is great film, however.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By pompouspizza

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys and Tropic Thunder and Hot Fuzz are movies that immediately come to mind that made me laugh a lot.

namtrahj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love some of the movies that have been mentioned and hate some of the others, but I haven't seen anyone mention any of Christopher Guest's work. Best in Show is my personal favorite. Another old favorite (not by Guest) is Clue. I've also seen a couple people mention some great old B&W comedies. Along those lines I'd add the Thin Man series--or really anything with Myrna Loy and William Powell--and the Topper movies.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Creme

Airplane and Airplane 2 might be some of my favourites ever. I've seen them only recently but boy the're pure nonsense genius.

Ghostbusters is good, even if just for Sigourney Weaver.

Police Academy 1-4 are hilarious, and the fact that it now triggers some people makes it even better.

Spaceballs is good if you know the movies it parodies, much like Scary Movie.

Porky's is another classic. TALLYWHACKER.

South Park The Movie needs no introduction, it's South Park and it's always excellent.

JordanaRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By JordanaRama

21 Jump Street.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BrainScratch

I don't laugh out loud with any movie, but if I had to list some movies that I think are really funny, out of the top of my head, I would go with these:

- any Edgar Wright movie (Shaun of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World's End, Scott Pilgrim)

- Airplane!

- Top Secret!

- Hot Shots!

- The Naked Gun series

- any Monty Python movie

- any Buster Keaton movie

- Fargo

- O Brother, Where Art Thou

- Big Lebowski

- 21 Jump Street

- In Bruges

- Seven Psychopaths

and there's probably some more I forgot.

I usually dislike the majority of modern American comedies, with a few exceptions. They're boring and uninteresting, sometimes they might have good jokes or somewhat acceptable stories, but they're just shot/reverse shot of people standing still and talking. There's no audio cues, no visual comedy, no comedic timing. Nothing. Just dialogue and the same cinematography every single time. And the majority of the comedy movies seems to be either about/for stoners, focused on a particular over the top thing or based on some romantic sub-plot. There's barely no difference between Adam Sandler, Judd Apatow, Nicholas Stoller or Paul Feig, to name a few. (altough Paul Feig's movies are the most awful of the bunch)

But I have to say there's some really good comedy tv shows coming from America. I think Brooklyn 99, for example, is fantastic. And there's also some good shows coming from stand up comedians.

@beyond_the_infinite said:

I think you have horrible taste in movies. The scary movies series...seriously? that's the standard you judge movies by?

I mean no offense ...To each their own i guess.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Although I think he has even worse movies than the Scary Movie series on his list. At least the first 3 Scary Movies had some ok stuff.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko said:

I usually dislike the majority of American comedies, with a few exceptions.

Modern American comedies are god awful, both movies and series. It's like they can't make fun of anything anymore so it's all a bunch of lifeless and soulless characters doing vaguely amusing things without "going too far".
Exception: I love South Park. That probably explains my disdain for modern American comedy, that and growing up with UK comedy.
fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By fatalbanana

This topic is pretty well worn now but to name one no one has named yet and one of my personal favorites Wet hot American Summer. Just a really funny movie that speaks to a specific sense of humor that just hits me in the exact right way. If you like improve if you like absurdist and over the top humor give this movie a watch and also check out the Netflix series it does this old classic justice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't like too many comedy movies. I have far more TV Show comedies I like. I find most comedy movies really unfunny and kind of lame. But ones I like are Orgazmo, Spinal Tap, Wet Hot American Summer, Office Space, Idiocracy, Beavis and Butt-Head do America. I guess I would throw in Rushmore there as well.

@fatalbanana: Wet Hot American Summer is one of my all time favorite movies, period. It's so good. And yeah the Netflix series was not bad at all. I believe they are making another season of it also, if they haven't already. I would also recommend checking out the Stella tv series and shorts. It's the same kind of absurdist humor with Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter and David Waine only much more so. The Stella guys even have a cameo in the Wet Hot movie.

Batavist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First movie I thought of was The Intouchables (Intouchables). Not pure comedy, but absolutely hilarious at times and well acted. If you haven't watched it, don't watch a trailer or anything just jump in.

Most movies advertised as comedy, I'd agree with some of you fall flat and are often irritating rather than funny to me.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
No Caption Provided

Ms. Parker! Ms. Parker, let me talk to you..

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@namtrahj said:

I love some of the movies that have been mentioned and hate some of the others, but I haven't seen anyone mention any of Christopher Guest's work. Best in Show is my personal favorite. Another old favorite (not by Guest) is Clue. I've also seen a couple people mention some great old B&W comedies. Along those lines I'd add the Thin Man series--or really anything with Myrna Loy and William Powell--and the Topper movies.

Clue is a great movie. If you're a fan of Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara from Christopher Guest movies, I hope you're watching their work on Schitt's Creek. It's a pretty good television show, and the first couple of seasons are now available on Netflix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Just watched Everybody Wants Some!! by Richard Linklater. It was such an enjoyable and fun film. Obviously it is an extension of Dazed and Confused and it's ideas, but it's treated with such a warm heart and understanding of the time and place and doesn't include a hint of cynicism like Dazed and Confused did. When it ended I wanted to keep hanging out with that group of characters and laugh with them.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nacho Libre

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#85  Edited By clagnaught

I have specifically watched The Big Lebowski because I was feeling like garbage and wanted to feel better.

My other go to comedies are Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Hot Fuzz. While it is a super weird thing to rank, Hot Fuzz may be the movie I consider to be the funniest I have seen at this point in my life.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pick of Destiny is pretty great. I do remember laughing a lot at the first Kung Fu Panda movie.....I guess I just like Jack Black?

sjaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By sjaak

Movies? Not so much, I think its one of the hardest genres to get 'right'. Latest movies I remember that made me laugh are Hot Fuzz, 21 Jump Street and 7 Psychopaths. A classic is The Big Lebowski and I know it isnt a movie but Brooklyn 99 just makes me laugh every time, every episode. Probably because I don't hate any of the characters.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By btrdeadthanred

Fletch always gets me. Also seconded for Wet Hot American Summer

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me, Myself & Irene

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Sinusoidal

For some reason, back when it came out I fucking loved Cabin Boy. "Take your hands off The Filthy Whore!" cracked me right the fuck up. I tried to watch it again a few years back, and yeah, terrible movie.

I'm sure it's been said, but Monty Python and the Holy Grail is the holy grail of comedy. It's still hilarious forty-something years later.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Monty Python's Life of Brian and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I think Life of Brian holds up better as a cohesive story, and it very funny to boot. Yet, Holy Grail has more memorable slap-stick bits.

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thelma and Louise, Steel Magnolis despite at times being sad, Jump Street movies, So many more but can't think of them yet.

MrCup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb And Dumber.

Loading Video...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By NTM

There are plenty of movies old and modern that will make me laugh, but actually thinking they're top-notch, I'm not sure. Honestly, the best 'comedies' are movies that aren't comedies at all, but just bad movies. For instance, Samurai Cop, or No Retreat, No Surrender. They don't make me constantly laugh out loud, but they make me consistently smile at just how bad they are.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best comedy movie, and maybe best movie, is clearly Local Hero.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I was just reminded that Steve Martin has made some really funny movies:

• Father of the Bride
  • Parenthood
  • Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
  • Planes, Trains & Automobiles
  • Roxanne
  • All of Me
  • Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
  • The Jerk

You get the feeling that other comics respects the hell out of Steve as one of those transcendent comics who can do it all from standup to movies, to music, improv, show writing, and books. There are some standups who are considered "comedian's comedians," but there are few who just excelle at so much and make it all seem effortless.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard and Wanderlust are two of my favorite comedies ever, even if they got shit reviews.