What is the age limit on Highschool?

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deusdigit

Bare with me here. I'm 20 years of age and i have never been enrolled into a school before that. my journey here was rough. But i was wondering if it was possible to enroll at my age and how many years i could do it for. High School that is, i'm pretty responsible and i don't get into trouble.

i really want to make up for high school. because if i don't, psychological it is going to bother me and its not easy at all. if i can do this instead of settling for a GED then I'd be really happy.

i could understand schools having the feeling of adults walking around wouldn't be good for youth. But i'm not a junkie or anything. I'm a loner at best. I just think its stupid that there is a age limit at some schools. High school diplomas are better then GEDS. Any suggestions?

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ahriman22

The age limit in High School is 17 or 18 I think. All you have to do is apply at an Adult Ed. School.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RankRabbit

Depends on where you live with state laws and whatever the county and/or school district says. There are options, public school might not be an option. Here where I am the limit is 21, due to the fact that you can buy alcohol at that age.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

I don't think there's an age limit but a high school diploma will get you nowhere, that is unless you continue on to university. However it's all a bit late to do that now and based on what you've told me I'm not sure that the long and hard path through university would fit you either. Was there any particular reason why you didn't finish high school? 

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Xeiphyer
@ahriman22 said:
" The age limit in High School is 17 or 18 I think. All you have to do is apply at an Adult Ed. School. "
Yeah, ahriman's right. Basically the only way you can be in highschool without being the same age as everyone else, is by going to school a year late, thus being a year older, or by being really smart and skipping grades, thus being younger, or by failing a grade and repeating it. 

Basically though, you can just do adult education, its the same thing, only it will be at a post secondary instatute, and you will be with older people, most of them will be your age and are probably upgrading courses they did poorly in so they can get into university.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By keyhunter

Get your grade 10 math and get into a trade.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Shadow

Go to a community college and get a GED.  That's really your only option.  Also, it would be REALLY REALLY CREEPY for a 20-something year old to be taking freshman/Sophomore PE, which is what you would have to do to graduate from high school.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alex_Murphy
@Shadow said:
"it would be REALLY REALLY CREEPY for a 20-something year old to be taking freshman/Sophomore PE"
Creepy?? I think you mean really really hilarious. Especially if the guy takes it way too serioussly and does stuff like slam dunk on a eight foot hoop, then turn to the kid that was trying to guard him, give him the finger and tell him he's got no game.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shirogane
@Alex_Murphy said:
" @Shadow said:
"it would be REALLY REALLY CREEPY for a 20-something year old to be taking freshman/Sophomore PE"
Creepy?? I think you mean really really hilarious. Especially if the guy takes it way too serioussly and does stuff like slam dunk on a eight foot hoop, then turn to the kid that was trying to guard him, give him the finger and tell him he's got no game. "

Reminds me of happy gilmore, or however it's spelt again, bah, havn't seen that movie in ages. 

Truthfully, you're better off not doing the high school stuff, it's not particularly useful, more a waste of time than anything, since they teach you everything, not just the specilised stuff for whtaever it is you end up doing.
fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fRAWRst

I know a guy whos turning 20 next year and hes still in my grade 12 history.

No age limit in canada afaik

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DanielJW

Yeah, I don't know where you are, but I don't believe there's an age limit in Canada. Though schools are run provincially, so that also may vary from province to province. If you happen to live in Ontario though, you should be OK. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Willy105

For my old high school, it was 20 years old the age limit that they could keep you around in the school.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Evilsbane

GED dude trust me my cousin has one and he got into colledge just fine you have to work a little harder but going back to school for it just really isn't an option in most places plus it doesn't really make much sense.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By penguindust
 It's never too late for high school...girls
 It's never too late for high school...girls
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

It's 21 here in Nova Scotia, Canada. Why 21? Beats me.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By belaraphon

i would recommend getting a GED an skipping the whole high school business. that could be a pretty brutal experience.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#18  Edited By citizenkane
@deusdigit:  It would be best for you to just get your GED, which is offered at any local community/junior college.  Don't think of getting a GED is settling for something inferior.  If you get a GED, enroll at a junior college and perform well while getting an A.A., you have a lot of doors open for transferring to a 4-year college/university for the next 2 or 3 years to bet a Bachelor's, because they will look at what you did in junior college and not at anything before.

What I am trying to say is, don't be scared by getting a GED instead of a regular high school diploma.  You will just have to take an extra step in between, which really isn't much of an extra step since you will roughly still be completing the path in the same amount of time, just an extra educational institution in between.
HyBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By HyBound

Honestly, you're a little late to get to high school and most likely will be "the old guy." So just get the GED and apply to a community college. There are a lot of people who act like high schoolers there anyway, so at least you won't have the age problem.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

It's 21.  People saying it's 18 are wrong.  When I graduated there was a twenty year old in my graduaing class. 
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ninjakiller

RiddleBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By RiddleBrother

It might be 21, but I think you'd probably have a better time if you got your GED instead, because, man, highschool fucking sucked.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

i think 20. i had a friend who was a year older then everyone else. his birthday was like at the end of the school year. he was 20 when he graduated, like a day or something off.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Alexander

Go to a disco with books.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

What CitizenKane said. A GED is not inferior to a diploma. Ring up your local community colleges.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By MadBootsy

Get a GED.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deusdigit
@Alex_Murphy said:
" @Shadow said:
Creepy?? I think you mean really really hilarious. Especially if the guy takes it way too serioussly and does stuff like slam dunk on a eight foot hoop, then turn to the kid that was trying to guard him, give him the finger and tell him he's got no game. "

Ok ok, i busted up laughing looking at this. But seriously, i would have more guts then most people to enroll at such a old age. Yes billy madison crosses my mind, and PE would be hilarious. But its so annoying not having been to a school Ever. To address some of the people who were asking why i dropped out of high school, i Did not. The education did not go so well at my home, when i was younger. My single parent tried to homeschool and eventually did not drill discipline, inspiration and dedication into me. I was never pushed, thus i didn't really want to study. 

It was not my fault, i was a Teenager. Because i was not really pushed or inspired to do anything, i never really cared for it. Until i started to get older and realise what i wanted to do with my life. However, i mainly hold my parent accountable because Why didn't they just send me to school? I could of already been done with it by now. Sure, it would have sucked, But atleast i would have had more logical problems in real life and education not being one of them. However, that is not the case and its a pretty annoying situation. 

I tried to enroll in a online high school, They accepted me, but eventually they did not send me materials to start studing because Apparently Regardless of what age you are, you are required to have transcripts proving you graduated the 8th grade, i did not. Thus making everything that much harder. I was actually jacked around by the advisers. One told me that all i needed to do was sign a transcript weaver forum, because i reached a age past 18, they said i didn't require middle school transcripts.  

However, it didn't work and i was milked a good $900 cash. That was my fault tho, but the advisers shouldn't have jacked me around and Responsed with such robotic answers. If you are asking what the online highschool is, It is http://www.ashworthcollege.edu/ 

What my main issue is tho, is that i tend to think of the future a lot, it would really suck if i decided to have children. That i could not relate to them under any circumstances if they went to public school. Then they may not take me seriously because they would think i would not understand. Next thing you know, They would get into trouble and all sorts of things. I'm getting way ahead of my self here.
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nasar7

It's 21 where I am. A GED for all intents and purposes is equivalent to a HS Diploma but it can have a stigma attached to it, especially when applying to selective colleges/jobs. Still, this is your best option really so no use thinking about that now. Just make the most out of what you have now, that's always the best option.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deusdigit

By the way, one last thing. I want to know something, Does college have any physical education that i could attend? I really REALLY want to play sports and it'd be awesome if i got to try that atleast once. if this is the case, i would get my ged and Try to relive my highschool years i never had. In college instead.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Cerza

@deusdigit: You're kids aren't going to not look up to you because you didn't go to High School. Every child looks up to and respects their parents. Well, until they become teenagers anyway, but that's when you have to start letting them find their own way. I recommend doing what others have said. Get your GED and then work to get your Associates. Once you have the associates doors will open to you for a four year school and then you can get your BA or BS or whatever and then it won't matter.

ReapersPuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ReapersPuppy

my cousin didnt graduate highschool till he was 21 so I guess thats the age limit =\

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Lies

Go for a GED- enrolling in a high school at this point isn't a viable option. A GED is a fine equivalent for people who regret dropping out or never had the chance like you-- you won't be looked down upon for having one.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FrankCanada97

Where I'm from, people can't be in high school for over 7 years. The max age limit is 21, otherwise they go to an adult education centre.