What next after the Space Shuttles?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I just watched the launch of Atlantis on youtube, here  is the video I used, and it was so fucking beautiful. But I'm wondering something that the NASA site doesn't really explain, or at least I can't find it.

If Atlantis is supposed to be the final Space Shuttle mission, how does NASA expect us to get into space? Are they developing some sort of alternate ship or something for the astronauts to go to the space station or wherever else? Or was today just the final mission for the current set of shuttles they have? 

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By lazyturtle

I think they expect private industry to take up the slack. Until then I think our astronauts (if we send any) are going to ride up on other nation's space ships.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

time we worked on the space elevator?

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By UncleClassy

Im pretty sure they're going back to rockets for the planned 2020 return to the moon.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xyzygy
@lazyturtle said:
I think they expect private industry to take up the slack. Until then I think our astronauts (if we send any) are going to ride up on other nation's space ships.
After doing some more looking around I found a private company called Bigelow Aerospace that already has 2 small habitable Space Stations in the air, Genesis I and II.  

It'll be cool to see all these different companies take off.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Commando
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By kingzetta

portals or underwater bubble cites...or jetpacks

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By ESREVER

A ladder to Heaven.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By HadesTimes

I believe they were talking about using chemical rockets. They are cheaper and easier to maintain. That is until they come up with something better.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sreya92
@tfsteefs: Alas yet another who is woefully ignorant in respects to the benefits of the space program in addition to spewing overgeneralized, racist drivel. Good day to you sir
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Subjugation

It would be nice if we would take some of that money and time and devote it to exploring the rest of the ocean on our own planet. I personally expect the kraken in Seaworld by 2024 or I'm going to write an angry letter to my congressman.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By benpicko

An escalator to nowhere.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By zor
@tfsteefs said:
@sreya92 said:
@tfsteefs: Alas yet another who is woefully ignorant in respects to the benefits of the space program in addition to spewing overgeneralized, racist drivel. Good day to you sir
you honestly think there's a benefit to manned space flight in 2011? lmao
If it gets me further away from you, then yes.
sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sreya92
@tfsteefs: The space program has driven technology forward giving us "white folk" many benefits in respects to medicine, home appliances, hygiene, and transportation among others. Show some respect. So yes, I support the advancement of space technology as I know that many of the advancements derived from it will be modified to directly benefit society. Even the smallest discoveries in science can have profound benefits. See penicillin (though this isn't tied to the space program)
zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By zor
@tfsteefs: Wait, was that last comment directed at me? I kind of want to feel offended by it, but my pity for you is getting in the way.
EvilMonkey9669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EvilMonkey9669

Nasa is pretty much being shut down, their funding has been cut so much that they aren't going to develop new shuttles, at most they will use the rockets that they used in 60's that only have a single use. There goes any hope of one day reaching mars...

EvilMonkey9669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EvilMonkey9669
@tfsteefs said:
hopefully nothing, manned space flight is a waste of money and the dreams of privileged white people who want to get away from the awful mess they've created on earth
Why would you say its a waste of money? its had quite an impact on scientific development in the past 50 years
sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sreya92
@tfsteefs: You're a complete fool I do hope you know that. Please google "benefits of space program" or NASA and educate yourself on why space exploration is important. Don't be so short-sighted
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@EvilMonkey9669 said:
Nasa is pretty much being shut down, their funding has been cut so much that they aren't going to develop new shuttles, at most they will use the rockets that they used in 60's that only have a single use. There goes any hope of one day reaching mars...
Rockets are the only things big enough to get to Mars. The Shuttle can't carry enough fuel to achieve escape velocity. When in orbit, it's actually in freefall, it's just going forward at the same rate it's falling so the Earth curves away from it as it falls toward it.

Nasa still uses rockets such as the Delta and Tarus rockets for most payload.
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By actionTACO

uh, the mission to mars is extremely important. if you had played the seminal piece of interactive art known as Mass Effect you would know that, luddite scum.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Gabriel

The Government found it far more efficient to hire John Carmack to oversee the U.S Space program.

I wish.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sreya92

Please. You're being melodramatic. There are very few people in the United States who die of starvation. Even the homeless can get a meal at homeless shelters. And though I whole-heartedly agree that things should be done to help the poor, there's no excuse to bankrupt your country trying to help some people who manipulate the system to get free money in return for doing nothing. Welfare, though helping some who truly need it (such as the disabled and elderly it was designed for) is a money drain. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By toowalrus

@tfsteefs said:

you will likely be dead before the average person can even enter low orbit. remember this forever.

Believe it or not, some people will reproduce, and I'm sure our children will appreciate the advances we've made.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sreya92

your kind of thinking would stagnate civilization. There are always going to be poor people. There will always be rich people. Life's not fucking fair. However, if you want to improve life for the general population, investing in science is going to be the way to do it. Once again, you have to think long-term.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

@tfsteefs said:

@TooWalrus said:

@tfsteefs said:

you will likely be dead before the average person can even enter low orbit. remember this forever.

Believe it or not, some people will reproduce, and I'm sure our children will appreciate the advances we've made.

lol if you think there will be a society organised enough to even begin to think about sending small objects into space by that part of this century

Ha, at first I thought you had some sort of logic or thought behind your comments, but now I'm sure you must be trolling. Humanity's going to be just fine- stop worrying.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Nux

I really pisses me off that NASA is being shut down. I mean how are we ever going to futher ourselvs if we can't learn whats around us in space? I know NASA must need a big budget but the money goes to a good cause.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sreya92
@TooWalrus: Honestly I can't tell if tfsteefs is serious or not. He/she may just be trolling and for their sake I hope they are. Otherwise, it's pointless to argue with those who wish to remain ignorant while spewing their misguided, racist, hypocritical judgement on other people. How you're enjoying your filtered water tfsteefs, courtesy of the space program.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FourWude

NASA is dying. It is slowly being phased down. The current levels of expenditure and investment in it won't continue. It will be lucky if it's still functioning in a generations time. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toowalrus

@sreya92: You only say that because you're one of our rich white overlords.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sreya92
@TooWalrus: Lols obviously
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Aronman789

Damn, tfsteefs just keeps giving me more and more to hate her for.  
I honestly can't believe that you would think humanity staying in one place, one speck of dust floating around, would be a good idea when we live in a universe where whole solar systems  and star clusters like to blow up and take lots of shit with them. Staying put as we are is just suicide for the species, if we can spread out and populate different parts of the galaxy we can make sure humanity doesn't just get fucked at one point with no backup plan. 

Also calling everyone a privileged white person is really fucking stupid. Doyouhonestlythinkonlywhite peoplehavemoney?

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sreya92
@Aronman789 said:
Damn, tfsteefs just keeps giving me more and more to hate her for.  
I honestly can't believe that you would think humanity staying in one place, one speck of dust floating around, would be a good idea when we live in a universe where whole solar systems  and star clusters like to blow up and take lots of shit with them. Staying put as we are is just suicide for the species, if we can spread out and populate different parts of the galaxy we can make sure humanity doesn't just get fucked at one point with no backup plan. 

Also calling everyone a privileged white person is really fucking stupid. Doyouhonestlythinkonlywhite peoplehavemoney?
For the fucking win
UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#46  Edited By UltorOscariot
@tfsteefsI hate Marxists who are are so burned through with nihilism that they take offense at others looking to the future.   

Away with you, fool.  People have been dying in the streets since there were streets, and your rambling paranoia about the so-called Military Industrial Complex is laughably cliche.  Perhaps you'd be happier posting at the Daily Kos, no? 

The meek will never inherit the Earth.  Oddly enough, waiting for a handout isn't an effective strategy for self preservation or advancement.  They won't inherit space either, apparently, if they suffer from a lack of vision like yourself.
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By actionTACO