What's on your exercise playlist?

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm trying to add more songs to my running playlist to do this whole Danswercise E3 Challenge. I know Dan listens to wrestler entrances, Rocky music, and MGS soundtracks during his runs. What are your favourite tracks to pump yourself up when exercising?

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Babymetal, Smash soundtrack and the following two songs from FF14 (and/or arranged versions of these work too).

Titan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDEPwFmBQXM

Shiva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkMfJBDFZM

crabclawfajita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The album 'Ricochet' by Reso gets me pretty pumped on a run. Check it out if you like drum n' bass or just rad electronica with fantastic drums. The album has a pretty high BPM which makes me run too fast sometimes but it is so good.

Ricochet by Reso: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93SylHHLBk

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Thrash metal. Hades Rise by Aura Noir rips for 40 minutes straight.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

If I exercise at home, playing Quick Looks is good because it completely takes your mind off of exercising.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Kanye, Dropkick Murphys, a smattering of songs from Grand Theft Auto radio stations, Daft Punk, Iced Earth, Gojira, the Rocky theme.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

I mostly listen to podcasts when I exercise, but occasionally I'll listen to music. I don't have one list, though. I just tend to listen to good music.

ZZ Top

Slipknot

Eric Clapton

The Beatles

Spineshank

Pink Floyd

They Might be Giants

DMX

Eminem

Dr. Dre

Alice Cooper

Many many others. As you can see it's just whatever I feel like listening to that day.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tool
Deftones
Rage against the machine
Many others but those are my top 3 in and outside the gym.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was actually just considering getting a playlist swap going for the danswers challenge- maybe we'd make a shared spotify playlist that people could add to. is there any interest in that?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally a lot of folk/death/black metal. Most notably lately Amon Amarth, Marduk and Obituary. Or I just pick a song and let Spotify do a radio on it.

Though much like Dan, and since I got back into wrestling, I have found that some wrestling themes work. So the themes for Brock Lesnar, Rusev and Ryback helps give me that extra push to lift heavier.

Avatar image for kommradeobvious
KommradeObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't do a lot of cardio, but when I do strength train it's usually upbeat metal. Not sure if you can see my playlist, but here it is:Lifting Playlist

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I have a whole bunch of stuff on my iPod for walking and working out. The best stuff for me is rhythm and beat heavy hip hop from the nineties and early aughts like Dre, Snoop Dogg, various Wu-Tang members, Big Tymers, Gorilla Zoe, Ice Cube (there's a remix of We Be Clubbin with Eye of the Tiger that is amazing for working out), Geto Boys, Outkast, Bubba Sparxx (the whole Deliverance album is great workout material), and Timbaland. I've also got rock from a huge swath of genres and decades. Again, kickass guitars and drums help me, so I've got a,lot of stuff like Dropkick Murphys, Andrew WK, The Black Keys, White Stripes, Skynard, ZZ Top, et cetera. Spotify has a ton of great workout mixes, so if you're up for a bit of randomness, I recommend checking them out.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I'm pretty sure if you listen to Gorillaz you can run forever.

It's funny that this thread showed up today though, I was just about to sit down and make a new running playlist. It's almost warm enough to run outside again!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Well the title of it is "Scandinavian Metal Running Playlist" so that should tell you all you need to know. It's all black metal, folk metal, and a bit of melodic death metal.

Fun fact, I switched from a different playlist to the above one when running today and I noticed a few minute later that I had sped up by a full minute/mile.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Instrumental music only, from various game OST's Would post up specific songs but I'm on mobile at the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-640902c98a1cd
deactivated-640902c98a1cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random pop-punk and some video game music.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've taken to doing my exercise without music these days due to safety concerns, but I used to crank Boris (Pink, have to skip the first track though, it's the only slow one of the bunch) Basement Jaxx (Rooty and Kish Kash) and Tricky Woo (The Enemy is Real and Sometimes I Cry only. They started to suck badly after these two. One of the most disappointing bands ever IMO, they were fucking awesome, then BLAMMO, shit city.)

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Beatmik77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Beatmik77

A box of Cinnabons.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently, lots of Run The Jewels. Plus, all their stuff is free to download so yay!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Mostly high tempo stuff such as rock music as well as some video game soundtracks.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rap. Ace hood, 2 chainz, lil wayne, YG, Migos, Bobby Shmurda etc.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By sku

Mortal Kombat: The Album.

That's my life, I guess.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does ESPN count? Because every time I work out I'm near a TV.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By rjaylee

Too bad I can't embed Spotify playlists here. That being said, I mix it up - I've got a few depending on how I feel:

GET HYPE WUBWUB - My playlist for wubs. Typically dubstep and various remixes from Major Lazer, Skrillex, Dillon Francis, Justice, etc. https://open.spotify.com/user/rj_lee/playlist/51zxUk2BcoD8TKZsn7yNeA

Apollo Creed Supercuts - Similar idea to Dan Ryckert's favourite Rocky soundtracks, but throw in more Kenny Loggins and other assorted 80's cock-rock you'd probably find in cheesy movies of the same ilk. https://open.spotify.com/user/rj_lee/playlist/79qlybS4UWpmjfbI2hA7Ak

Night Rides - A synthwave playlist that is basically the Hotline Miami soundtracks, and a ton of songs with that similar feel. Kavinsky, Perturbator, Carpenter Brut, Com Truise, Lazerhawk, and Tesla Boy are heavily featured. https://open.spotify.com/user/rj_lee/playlist/57AF3WC59RgfcO9RZevbWC

Up the Irons - I'm not a huge modern metalhead, so this only consists of more typical heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Judas Priest. https://open.spotify.com/user/rj_lee/playlist/6CG2QGfA1eI4D86EEjIL51

U Ain't Black - Rap playlist that mostly consists of singles and club hits. Generally safe for public consumption, which means it is mostly rap music pre-2009ish. https://open.spotify.com/user/rj_lee/playlist/0EQBzOpQKAe0LUCgs1HRBY

U Ain't Black (DON'T GIVE A FUCK EDITION) - Self-explanatory. https://open.spotify.com/user/rj_lee/playlist/5TZw6yhyvrPjsNo3XS225y

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Tesla

All metal all the time. Or the soundtrack to Tron: Legacy.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By chu52

Besides all that has been said.

RUN THE JEWELS pretty much their entire catalogue. Especially "Get It" and "Close your eyes (and count to fuck) "

AdamT85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AdamT85

I try to keep it varied to pace my workout on the song. I throw on the whole album mostly, but the links are to my favorites. All of these artists are on Spotify for easy playlist creation.

Alcest - Les Voyages de l'Âme (Les Voyages De L'Âme)

Between The Buried and Me - Colors ((B) the Decade of Statues)

Chevelle - Wonder What's Next (Family System)

Envy - All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead (Farewell To Words)

Perfume - Level3 (Party Maker)

ScatterTheAshes - Devout/Modern Hymn (Caesura)

Takaru - There Can Be Only None (Charge It To Valhalla)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find that a good workout song, to me, can't be too long (usually no more than 5 minutes), can't be overly repetitive (unless its really good and repetition doesn't matter), has a good hook, and resonates lyrically. I've been trying to build my own playlist and I'm constantly adding and removing songs because very few fit my criteria. Eyes to The Wind by The War on Drugs has been the only constant because its a song that really makes me go farther with the workout, which is why its always the closing song on my playlist. Its kind of weird how much of a physical boost it gives me.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

On the treadmill, I usually go for Hotline Miami-esque music, including the games' soundtracks, with some Metallica and early AC/DC (before Brian Johnson) mixed in. When I hit the heavy bag I just listen to the Wii Punch-Out soundtrack on loop.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Whatever audiobook I'm listening to at the time if I'm not watching something on TV when I exercise.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people don't like to listen to full albums anymore but I've been listening to The Dream Walker by Angels & Airwaves and it's been pretty great for running

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The newest Future Islands CD fits my jogging pace really well.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

My exercise playlist is a lot of music that I'd never listen to otherwise. Guitar-driven speedmetal with angry grumble-bro vocalists.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like listening to Ritual by The Black Dahlia Murder while I'm biking.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I listen to the exercise playlist that Dan made on Spotify. It's wonderful.

aryianna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upbeat pop/dance music to keep me going. Hate it when a slow song cycles in. I need to update it directly for working out.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Right now it's a lot of Elliphant and a bunch of spanish rap, especially Mala Rodriguez and Ana Tijoux. I don't understand a word of the latter stuff, but in a weird way that's for the best since I can concentrate on the beat. Also a bunch of Xenia Rubinos' first album. I used to do more rock, but I find that that stuff has more ups and downs, and I really think that a solid beat throughout a whole song works best for me. One reason I got rid of most of the MOON stuff from the Hotline Miami soundtrack.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Thrash Metal

dparul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dparul

I listen to a little of every thing. Hip-hop, rap, pop, rock, metal, country and even classical. If it has a good beet and I like the sound of it. I have about 200 songs on my phone and my computer and Hubby has even more on his x-box 360.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tame Impala has some great tunes for just spacing out and letting your feet take you places.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

There is only one choice. Nope, sorry all you whiners, there is one choice = Motörhead's "No Remorse".

Just look at the line-up for songs you have for your workout: Ace of Spades; Motorhead; Jailbait; Stay Clean; Killed By Death; Bomber; (We Are) The Roadcrew; and covers of Louie Louie (Alternate Version), and Stand By Your Man.

Mao_Yeezy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mao_Yeezy89

If I am doing weight stuff then Metal or Electronic music is my jam. Cardio is Hip Hop centered as I just try to keep up with the lyrics and time just passes by. Cycling is dedicated to podcasts.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ZolRoyce

@tesla said:

All metal all the time. Or the soundtrack to Tron: Legacy.

I second the Tron Legacy soundtrack, there is a lot of great "hell yeah, I am the greatest person in the world due to running with this song right now" stuff on that soundtrack. The Fall.

Also saw a few Hotline Miami 1 and 2 mentions, second those as well, holy hell some of those songs are intense during a work out.
She Swallowed Burning Coals

I'm also a big fan of songs that start kind of slow but then build up to a "holy shit, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT YES!" Peak, especially ones that make you feel like you could just soar off of the treadmill or something.
M83-Outro

God is an Astronaut- When everything dies.

65daysofstatic - Drove Through Ghosts.

No Clear Mind- Static.

Fleetwood Mach - The Chain.

All fit that mold pretty well.

The Hanna soundtrack had some pretty good beats on it as well.
Escape Wavefold

Container Park

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run the Jewels, followed by Run the Jewels II. Every step I take I am crushing the face of a fuck boi.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Run the Jewels on repeat, forever.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever I'm listening to on Spotify. Right now it's been the latest All Get Out and My Iron Lung. Good stuff.

Also, yes, Run the Jewels. Yes.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the gym, usually some 1-2 hour electro mix I download for free from SoundCloud or similar sites. Mixes from the likes of Peep'n Tom (Peepshow series), Mustard Pimp (Catastrophe series), Mogaui (Punx Up The Volume series), TSNM (No Excuses series), Alex Funk.

If anyone has recommendations for similar mix series, I'm open to suggestions.

When just running, I listen to whatever genre I feel like.

Hanuman623

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends what kind of thing I'm doing. I play mostly ambient music when I'm teaching yoga practice because I never know if a student will be bothered by music with words or not. The public spotify playlist "Groove Salad" is where I find a lot of that.

When I am practicing by myself though, I really like all of Bear McCreary's work from the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series. There are some really intense songs that are good for cardio: "Mandala in the Clouds," "Black Market," and "Starbuck Takes on All Eight" are the ones that immediately come to mind. I also like The Dark Knight Rises OST. I mean, at the end of a long run "Why Do We Fall?" is like an instant second wind.

Sometimes I like 90s hip hop (think "California Love" and "Dear Mama") because it has a heavier, mid-paced beat that I can match a breathing pattern to during Tibetans or other calisthenics. The Killers are good for high intensity workouts too. A lot of songs with a decent tempo for mid-paced running or other cardio. Oh, and Michael Jackson. Always the King of Pop.

Finally if you're into a funky mix of East/West styles, check out Srikalogy. He does hip-hop with a lot of Indian music influence. It's pretty cool.

Glad to see others are still Danswercising! I'm posting short exercises on Instagram daily and it's been a fun way to keep practice creative.