• 74 results
MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By MisterDunlap

I was in the car with my dad recently, and we were listening to NPR. A fine radio program by any means, but frankly, it get's rather dull from time-to-time. So I decided to switch the channel to the local Rock station. This station has everything from Soft Rock to Death Metal. Their range is somewhat astounding to be honest. The first song I heard was Renegades of Funk, by Rage Against the Machine. Now, this band is a kind of mix between Metal, and Rap. I hate Rap. I really, really hate it. Thankfully the song was almost over when I switched stations, so I didn't have to cut my own ears off.  
The next song was Far From Home, by Five Finger Death Punch (FFDP). Now usually I like this band, but lately they've been foraying into some slower songs. This hasn't been going too well in my opinion. They just aren't built for things like that. It seems to me that their songs have more meaning (so to speak), and are just...not boring when they're a bit faster, and angrier. It's just more fun.  
Next was the AC/DC song Shoot to Thrill. It's AC/DC. They've been around for a really long time, been making good music the entire, and generally holds the respect of most rock enthusiasts. So really there's nothing bad about that one. Moving on. 
The next song that played was Haifisch. If you're thinking that doesn't sound like it's English, you'd be right. It's a song from a German Industrial Metal band called Rammstein. Obviously the song is in German, but I don't think it's imperative that one knows what the heck they're saying. In fact, I rather like not knowing what they're talking about. It makes it far more engaging to listen to. I realize that doesn't make sense, but trust me. Just listen to them. They're worth it. Anyway, this song is very nice, because it's exactly what Rammstein is good at, and when they do that, they do it well. So, yeah, needless to say, I enjoyed this one. 
Okay, now right about now we're about to get home, and there's time for one more song or so. I was hoping for something good to top off the drive. No such luck. The resulting disaster made me never want to listen to music again. The song was All Summer Long, by Kid Rock. I'd heard about this guy before, and had purposefully been avoiding his music due to bad reviews. I thought I had a pretty good idea of how bad his music was going to be. It was worse. So much worse. It was derivative, ill written, and just generally bad. The thought of it makes me want to stab something. So, I'm going to stop typing before I start into a really bad rant. Perhaps at a later date. We'll have to see. 

Later peoples. Tell your family DarthOniXVIII says hello.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MisterDunlap

I was in the car with my dad recently, and we were listening to NPR. A fine radio program by any means, but frankly, it get's rather dull from time-to-time. So I decided to switch the channel to the local Rock station. This station has everything from Soft Rock to Death Metal. Their range is somewhat astounding to be honest. The first song I heard was Renegades of Funk, by Rage Against the Machine. Now, this band is a kind of mix between Metal, and Rap. I hate Rap. I really, really hate it. Thankfully the song was almost over when I switched stations, so I didn't have to cut my own ears off.  
The next song was Far From Home, by Five Finger Death Punch (FFDP). Now usually I like this band, but lately they've been foraying into some slower songs. This hasn't been going too well in my opinion. They just aren't built for things like that. It seems to me that their songs have more meaning (so to speak), and are just...not boring when they're a bit faster, and angrier. It's just more fun.  
Next was the AC/DC song Shoot to Thrill. It's AC/DC. They've been around for a really long time, been making good music the entire, and generally holds the respect of most rock enthusiasts. So really there's nothing bad about that one. Moving on. 
The next song that played was Haifisch. If you're thinking that doesn't sound like it's English, you'd be right. It's a song from a German Industrial Metal band called Rammstein. Obviously the song is in German, but I don't think it's imperative that one knows what the heck they're saying. In fact, I rather like not knowing what they're talking about. It makes it far more engaging to listen to. I realize that doesn't make sense, but trust me. Just listen to them. They're worth it. Anyway, this song is very nice, because it's exactly what Rammstein is good at, and when they do that, they do it well. So, yeah, needless to say, I enjoyed this one. 
Okay, now right about now we're about to get home, and there's time for one more song or so. I was hoping for something good to top off the drive. No such luck. The resulting disaster made me never want to listen to music again. The song was All Summer Long, by Kid Rock. I'd heard about this guy before, and had purposefully been avoiding his music due to bad reviews. I thought I had a pretty good idea of how bad his music was going to be. It was worse. So much worse. It was derivative, ill written, and just generally bad. The thought of it makes me want to stab something. So, I'm going to stop typing before I start into a really bad rant. Perhaps at a later date. We'll have to see. 

Later peoples. Tell your family DarthOniXVIII says hello.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MisterMouse

no one is more authentic than kid rock... 
and I think it might be what you like, because in my opinion music recently has been incredible, of course I listen to Indie singer/ songwriters, folk and alternative... but those are what I like.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

Can Kid Rock be considered as part of "these days"? All I know is everyone who doesn't partake in much mainstream music has such a vast difference in preference that it's not even worth arguing.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By audiosnag
@DarthOniXVIII said:
" The first song I heard was Renegades of Funk, by Rage Against the Machine. Now, this band is a kind of mix between Metal, and Rap. I hate Rap. I really, really hate it. Thankfully the song was almost over when I switched stations, so I didn't have to cut my own ears off.    "
You lost me here dude. Rage is awesome. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. AC/DC are fun to listen to sometimes but seriously 90% of their songs sound the same. I don't think our tastes in music are remotely similar.

As for music today, there's plenty of good music you just have to explore a bit. Going by what a radio station feeds you isn't a good indicator.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By tebbit

The worst thing about that Kid Rock song is that it is straight up Sweet Home Alabama with different (worse) lyrics. He mentions "listening to sweet home Alabama all summer long" as if referencing it himself makes it OK.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

get off my porch! darn kids and your hula hoops

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterDunlap

Look, to all the people ranting about how I dislike all this stuff: Deal with it. Just because our musical views are different doesn't mean you need to comment and start fussing about it. So calm down.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By audiosnag

...isn't commenting sorta the point?

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MisterDunlap
@audiosnag: Commenting is for discussion. Not fussing about how our musical views are dissimilar.
Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands
@DarthOniXVIII said:
" @audiosnag: Commenting is for discussion. Not fussing about how our musical views are dissimilar. "
Isn't that how discussion of music works on the internet? The whole "I hate the bands you like" thing.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By audiosnag
@DarthOniXVIII: 
Ohh gotcha. So only comment if I agree with you. You got it.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aetheldod
@audiosnag:  Well take out those fighting gloves 'cause I despise the  annoying rage against  the machine and that lousy god awful Zach de la Rocha voice .... and I hate it even more because I was forced to listen to it all the time  , thanks brother for that >:(
Kid Rock these days???? I thought we were rid of him at the same year he came about
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Stop listening to the radio.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By audiosnag
@Aetheldod said:
" @audiosnag:  Well take out those fighting gloves 'cause I despise the  annoying rage against  the machine and that lousy god awful Zach de la Rocha voice .... and I hate it even more because I was forced to listen to it all the time  , thanks brother for that >:( Kid Rock these days???? I thought we were rid of him at the same year he came about "
Ohhh thats it...thats IT.
I know six different forms of fisticuffs and can kill a yak from 30 yards with a toaster. You're in for a proper thrashing sir.
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vonocourt

I think the real problem is how schizo that radio station is.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

So if we aren't allowed to say that it's not the music thats bad, it's that you don't like it, you only posted this on here so you could watch people agree with you?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@Tebbit said:
" The worst thing about that Kid Rock song is that it is straight up Sweet Home Alabama with different (worse) lyrics. He mentions "listening to sweet home Alabama all summer long" as if referencing it himself makes it OK. "
Oh it's THAT stupid song, I was trying to remember it without having to listen to it. Ya that song is a crap heap. 

When I first started exploring music ACDC was the first band I got into. I can't take too much of them now as it does get a bit repetitive, but it was great in highschool. I usually change the station if they come up now. I wish we had something like NPR in Canada, there's nothing that compares to it here, 99% of the music on the radio is shit.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Brendan
@DarthOniXVIII said:
" @audiosnag: Commenting is for discussion. Not fussing about how our musical views are dissimilar. "
There isn't much to discuss if there aren't any dissenting opinions.  What did you expect?
ThePwnee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThePwnee

What are you listening to the radio for? Burn a couple of cd's to listen to in the car and quit bitching.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@audiosnag said:
" @Aetheldod said:
" @audiosnag:  Well take out those fighting gloves 'cause I despise the  annoying rage against  the machine and that lousy god awful Zach de la Rocha voice .... and I hate it even more because I was forced to listen to it all the time  , thanks brother for that >:( Kid Rock these days???? I thought we were rid of him at the same year he came about "
Ohhh thats it...thats IT. I know six different forms of fisticuffs and can kill a yak from 30 yards with a toaster. You're in for a proper thrashing sir. "
Yeah, well I can kill a yak from 200 yards away, with MIND BULLETS! That's telekinesis holmes. 
Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EndlessObsidian
@Tebbit said:
" The worst thing about that Kid Rock song is that it is straight up Sweet Home Alabama with different (worse) lyrics. He mentions "listening to sweet home Alabama all summer long" as if referencing it himself makes it OK. "
Do you know about this song? ... 

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By audiosnag
@RollingZeppelin said:
" @audiosnag said:
" @Aetheldod said:
Ohhh thats it...thats IT. I know six different forms of fisticuffs and can kill a yak from 30 yards with a toaster. You're in for a proper thrashing sir. "
Yeah, well I can kill a yak from 200 yards away, with MIND BULLETS! That's telekinesis holmes.  "
How bout the power of flight? That do anything for ya?
danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By danimal_furry

A. NPR is nowhere near being a decent radio station 
B. There is nothing wrong with music today. The songs you hear that are great classics were swimming in a pile of garbage pop in the past. Best example: listen to the 80's music. Find a decent band (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Cars, The Police, etc.) Now look at when one of their hits charted and compare it to others on that list. I guarantee there will be at least a dozen songs that never made it as a hit more than 5 years after they came out. That is being generous.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox
@Tebbit said:

edit: read your post  wrong. never mind
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@audiosnag said:
" @RollingZeppelin said:
" @audiosnag said:
" @Aetheldod said:
Yeah, well I can kill a yak from 200 yards away, with MIND BULLETS! That's telekinesis holmes.  "
How bout the power of flight? That do anything for ya? "
How 'bout the power...to move you. *cue sexy guitar lick*
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By SSully

My advice? Dont listen to the radio for nothing more then talk shows, the few good ones left. Also ACDC is horrible, if i heard their boat sunk while partying with Guns & Roses I wouldn't even shrug at the news. 

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By habster3

Music started going downhill after Courtney murdered Kurt

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By McSmunions

i think we're forgetting just how awesome Kid Rock was, i mean he gave us this song, which gave us this:

I'm the J-O-E to the C hoe
Call me Joe C...got more game than Coleco (shouts to the nerds)
I'm a freak hoe call me sick
Three foot nine with a ten foot dick

RIP Joe-C
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By audiosnag
@RollingZeppelin said:
" @audiosnag said:
" @RollingZeppelin said:
" @audiosnag said:
" @Aetheldod said:
How bout the power of flight? That do anything for ya? "
How 'bout the power...to move you. *cue sexy guitar lick* "
Classic. Anyone who quotes the D is good people.
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By npeterson08

This blog should be titled:  "What's wrong with radio today?"

Music's cool. There's good stuff within whatever genre you're into.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By tebbit
@EndlessObsidian: I do! but I actually like that song. It's the same chord progression, but it has a little soul to it, some substance. The Kid Rock song is just derivative trash. Trash I tells ya! 

@MrKlorox: Perhaps you did, but you're right. He ain't no Hova though.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aetheldod
@audiosnag:  Bring it on!!!!! I can kill lizards with an air rifle from less than 2 feet away >:3
davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By davidh219

And that good sir is why I never listen to the radio. Ever. Get a car with a CD player or just get an MP3 player and carry it with you everywhere and crawl into your own little musical world when shit like this happens. 

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@audiosnag: Hell yes.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Enigma777

Get off the internet, grandpa!

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Xeiphyer

Rage against the machine is just horrible.

Also I didn't read your entire thing because the formatting is horrrribleeeeeee. Please invest in an enter key and a style guide or highschool english courses.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By lead_farmer
@DarthOniXVIII: While I like Rage Against the Machine, my suggestion would be maybe get some ipod adaptor for the car.  I hardly ever listen to the radio except for a few sports talk shows.  I like old school and underground hip hop so the mainstream stuff that gets played kinda bothers me.  Most of my commuting is actually spent listening to podcasts.  This way you will never have to suffer some of the garbage that passes for music now.
TheSlip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheSlip

Whenever someone says something along the lines of "What's wrong with music these days?" my go-to response is always, always "You're just not looking hard enough."

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Animasta

I was going to testify that RotM is great when your in high school and they stopped when you graduate, but I can't fight anyone with a porcupine tree avatar D:

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By audiosnag
@Aetheldod: 
Whoa uh..wait a minute whats this about guns? 
I'm out! *runs like squirrel*
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aetheldod
@audiosnag said:
" @Aetheldod:  Whoa uh..wait a minute whats this about guns?  I'm out! *runs like squirrel* "
So sayz the guy with an avatar of the dude with the boom stick ..... squirrels are sneaky creatures *sets bear trap for good measure*
muttjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By muttjones
@audiosnag said:
"As for music today, there's plenty of good music you just have to explore a bit. Going by what a radio station feeds you isn't a good indicator. "
This.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#43  Edited By Little_Socrates

I like how you complained about the Kid Rock song that is SPECIFICALLY a mash-up of Werewolves of London and Sweet Home Alabama. 

Nothing is wrong with music these days. Take a look at The Arcade Fire. Take a look at The Black Keys. Then there's Muse. Weezer. The Foo Fighters. PLENTY of rock groups out there. And I know you hate rap, but Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy? Fucking amazing. 

Then there's Cee-Lo Green's The Lady Killer, which is a work in and of itself in making classic motown relevant again. There's plenty of great music out there, you just have to look for it.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarthOniXVIII said:
" Look, to all the people ranting about how I dislike all this stuff: Deal with it. Just because our musical views are different doesn't mean you need to comment and start fussing about it. So calm down. "
nobody's fussing about it.  theyre stating their opinion like how you just stated yours over a video game forum so just chill out.  and i stopped after you dismissed Rage Against the Machine as crappy rap music (im not quoting you or anything thats what you sounded like.)  im saying this again but you posted this on an open forum.  you mustve been expecting people to disagree with your musical intrests in order to start a debate about what you think is "real music"
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By McGhee
@DarthOniXVIII:  
If you can't find good music "these days" then you are not looking hard enough and you are looking in the wrong places.
neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By neozeke
@DarthOniXVIII: I'm not going to bother reading this, here's what REALLY wrong with music.  

First of all, you have the fact that the crap from previous eras gets forgotten, leaving only the great stuff behind. Those songs on classic rock stations are obviously cherry-picked as the best and most indicative of an entire era; it's not a random sampling of all the music available at the time. Modern rock or pop stations, on the other hand, have to play whatever's come out in the past six months or so.

So there is a filter applied to the old stuff. Even most of the music in Mozart's day was bullshit. And because it was bullshit, nobody felt the need to keep copies. And what was preserved isn't played today. Because it's bullshit. So it's easy to look back at Mozart's era (or the 1960s, or whatever) and assume that because only the classics survive in our memory, everything made back then was a classic.

The other problem is we assume that what gets remembered over time is whatever was the most popular. Not true.

For instance, what survives from the Vietnam era (thanks mostly to Vietnam movies) are songs like the badass protest song "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival and "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones. Both were released in 1969, after the war started going bad.

Now look at the Billboard year-end singles charts from 1946 to today. The top song in 1969? "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies. Let us quote the entire lyrics of that song:

Sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you.
Honey, ah sugar sugar
You are my candy girl
I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you
(I just can't believe it's true)
I just can't believe the one to love this feeling to.
(I just can't believe it's true)
Ah sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
Ah honey, ah sugar sugar
You are my candy girl
When I kissed you, girl, I knew how sweet a kiss could be
(I know how sweet a kiss can be)
Like the summer sunshine pour your sweetness over me
(Pour your sweetness over me)
Sugar, pour a little sugar on it honey,
Pour a little sugar on it baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah
Pour a little sugar on it oh yeah
Pour a little sugar on it honey,
Pour a little sugar on it baby
I'm gonna make your life so sweet, yeah yeah yeah
Pour a little sugar on it honey,
Ah sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
Oh honey, honey, sugar sugar ..
You are my candy girl

"Fortunate Son" got no higher than No. 14 on the charts. "Gimme Shelter"? It was never released as a single at all.

Go ahead, look down the list. There is some great music on there, but it's mixed in with a lot of stuff you've probably never even heard of. And do you know what you don't see on there? Queen, Led Zeppelin and a lot of other great musicians. Groups that are well-remembered now, when classic rock radio stations wouldn't be caught dead playing some of the shit that outsold them. Even Elvis and The Beatles are only on there twice, tying for the most No. 1 year-end singles with none other than George Michael.

And that's not even considering that, thanks to the Internet, we have far more access to all kinds of niche music genres and independent artists that we'd have never heard in the past.

And as for the critics, you have to keep in mind that there will always, always be critics who hate whatever the latest trend is. Rock music as a whole was blasted pretty harshly when it first got popular. Melody Maker called it "one of the most terrifying things to have ever happened to popular music." The Daily Mail decided to up the ante by mixing in some good old-fashioned racism: "[Rock music] is deplorable. It is tribal. And it is from America. It follows ragtime, blues, jazz, hot cha-cha and the boogie-woogie, which surely originated in the jungle. We sometimes wonder whether this is the negro's revenge."

Hell, even The Beatles weren't safe. The Daily Telegraph said that they were "something Hitler might find useful."

Now please shut the fuck up, modern music is fine and if you hate it your tastes probably suck.  

This was all stolen from cracked by the way. 
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

"I hate this. Discuss." 
"I disagree." 
"Deal with it. Discuss."

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
@pyromaster222 said:
" no one is more authentic than kid rock... and I think it might be what you like, because in my opinion music recently has been incredible, of course I listen to Indie singer/ songwriters, folk and alternative... but those are what I like. "
McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By McSmunions
@neozeke:  i was just browsing GAF when i saw pretty much this exact same thread with that post as like the first reply, thank you for posting it.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green

yes, music is horrible. all there is now is really just rap, hip hop, r N b, horrible music. the radio is horrible because they go to what is popular. when i feel like listening to the radio i only listen to pretty much two radio stations. one of them is pretty good because they didn't go computerized, yet. a lot of radio stations now go computer. one local radio station has ryan secrest for like 3 hours, he is live in cali. 

i also agree with five finger death punch. i think they are going softer to what they use to be. i like their first CD that came out, the way of the fist. it is a lot heavier compared to war is the answer. there awesome good songs on there but it's lighter. 

i would listen to ramstien more if they sang in english. i know it's a german band but it would be cool. their music is a lot different compared to  american music. they put heavy metal and techno is some parts of their song.