What's wrong with the Punisher?

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lazyturtle

So I saw a trailer for Punisher: War Zone today and thought..why can't they make a decent Punisher movie? It's such a simple character, and yet everytime it seems like they just don't get it.

What's up with this? How hard would it be to make a good movie about a guy who has lots of guns and kills organized crime people?

And..seriously..SET IT IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE! Make the Punisher fight Spiderman in a scence or something. It's happened in the comics several times, so why not put that in the movie?

GAH!
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

I'm one of the few who thought the recent Punisher film starring Thomas Jane was actually pretty good. If only John Travolta wasn't the bad guy...The new film, Punisher: War Zone, looks extremely awful though.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio
Kush said:
"I'm one of the few who thought the recent Punisher film starring Thomas Jane was actually pretty good. If only John Travolta wasn't the bad guy...The new film, Punisher: War Zone, looks extremely awful though."
Yeah, the first one was pretty dope, and John Travolta just made it weird.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Karmum
Kush said:
"I'm one of the few who thought the recent Punisher film starring Thomas Jane was actually pretty good. If only John Travolta wasn't the bad guy...The new film, Punisher: War Zone, looks extremely awful though."
I actually enjoyed the previous Punisher movie alot, as well.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By fr0br0

I didn't think the first one was too bad. It was a little long and the beginning bored me, but the Russian was awesome.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By lazyturtle

Wait...for those that are mentioning the 1st one..are you talking about the 1989 one or the 2004 one? I liked Dolph Lundgren (he LOOKED like the Punisher) better than Thomas Jane but the 2004 movie had much better acting.

I just want the Punisher to be angrier, more bitter and meaner. I just hated it when he was fake torturing the guy in the 2004 movie: the REAL punisher would have tortured him. The Punisher (at least to me) is a badguy, he is as bad as the people he's after in some ways, but he focuses his badness towards other badguys. 

I'd also like the badguy to bill Wilson Fisk..why we haven't seen him (Fisk) in spiderman is beyond me. The Kingpin is a pretty important character in Spiderman. I'd also really like to see either Spiderman or Daredevil fight Punisher. It needs to happen.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Thomas Jane was great as The Punisher, but Howard Saint was a shitty villain that they ended up using to fuck up the history of the comics and made him into Jigsaw in the "sequel" video game (which sucked balls).  I respect what John Frankenheimer did with The Punisher by using no CGI and all old-school stunts...but they weren't done that well and you could EASILY tell that it was all staged.  Mix in the lackluster soundtrack that played up selling records more than it accompanied the film, and you get a recipe for disaster.  To top that off, there's the details that comic book nerds like myself get pissed off about...like how The Russian wasn't decapitated...and how they changed Welcome Back Frank...and the fact that they put too much of his apartment buddies into the movie...

Overall, the Thomas Jane Punisher was better than the Dolph Lundgren Punisher in terms of character...but it wasn't necessarily a good movie.  Had they put in an actualy villain and not fucked with the story too much, it would've been sweet as shit.

The reason War Zone will suck is for one simple reason:  PG-13.