When did Ryan Davis and Jeff Gerstmann begin to be so pesimistic?

MasterEmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By MasterEmil

Right. Before this begin to be a flame on me i wanna say i love Giantbomb, or well used to. 

Im watching the Sony Press Conference right now and also checking the Giant Bomb live message thingy and notice a few things. 

Is it only me or have the 2 leading faces of Giant Bomb (Jeff Gerstmann, Ryan Davis) gone really pesimistic over time !? I used to love the kinda childish funny style of Giant Bomb but over the last 2 years or so its changed a lot.  

I remember actually being really pissed at Ryan Davis and still am because of the TANG movies. I got really tired of his constant ranting about how bad the movies were, just ALWAYS blabbering about how bad this movie is. And at some point i just got really frustrated because he never said any good things. He had turned into a irrittating critic who could only critisise things... Also good movies like Max Payne and Hitman, well not top movies but medium he just shot down for nothing!? I guess some people like to watch a angry guy ranting game movies but i couldnt take it. 

Well i am not sure who it is who is writting the live blog but think its Jeff Gerstmann. Jeff used to be my favourite person in the gaming world. And he still is, but i've also noticed him being a bit too pesimistic lately... He  just seems like he is umimpressed with ANYTHING in the world. For an example the Killzone 3 3D movie thatt was shown, only thing he could say was "A live demo of Killzone 3 3D is about to happen. Not sure if I like this idea or not. " and " Ridge Racer is back. Still talking about 3D. How many people have a 3D TV, Ridge Racer? Sixteen? "  

That just how i look at it, maybe that is what happens when you drive your own company, its stressing you out.  

What do you guys think? Please dont flame me to death...
MasterEmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MasterEmil

Right. Before this begin to be a flame on me i wanna say i love Giantbomb, or well used to. 

Im watching the Sony Press Conference right now and also checking the Giant Bomb live message thingy and notice a few things. 

Is it only me or have the 2 leading faces of Giant Bomb (Jeff Gerstmann, Ryan Davis) gone really pesimistic over time !? I used to love the kinda childish funny style of Giant Bomb but over the last 2 years or so its changed a lot.  

I remember actually being really pissed at Ryan Davis and still am because of the TANG movies. I got really tired of his constant ranting about how bad the movies were, just ALWAYS blabbering about how bad this movie is. And at some point i just got really frustrated because he never said any good things. He had turned into a irrittating critic who could only critisise things... Also good movies like Max Payne and Hitman, well not top movies but medium he just shot down for nothing!? I guess some people like to watch a angry guy ranting game movies but i couldnt take it. 

Well i am not sure who it is who is writting the live blog but think its Jeff Gerstmann. Jeff used to be my favourite person in the gaming world. And he still is, but i've also noticed him being a bit too pesimistic lately... He  just seems like he is umimpressed with ANYTHING in the world. For an example the Killzone 3 3D movie thatt was shown, only thing he could say was "A live demo of Killzone 3 3D is about to happen. Not sure if I like this idea or not. " and " Ridge Racer is back. Still talking about 3D. How many people have a 3D TV, Ridge Racer? Sixteen? "  

That just how i look at it, maybe that is what happens when you drive your own company, its stressing you out.  

What do you guys think? Please dont flame me to death...
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm pretty sure it's Brad Nicholson doing the live blog, but don't quote me on that.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

3D is still lame, and doesn't add value.  Therefore the Giantbomb crew, who are intelligent, see this and are understandably pessimistic about it.
Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Semition

Jeff seems to be pretty excited about Assassin's Creed's multiplayer.

I'm not surprised that they're not interested the 3D stuff. Almost nobody in the press is legitimately excited about 3D.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Pinworm45
@MasterEmil said:

I remember actually being really pissed at Ryan Davis and still am because of the TANG movies. I got really tired of his constant ranting about how bad the movies were, just ALWAYS blabbering about how bad this movie is. And at some point i just got really frustrated because he never said any good things. He had turned into a irrittating critic who could only critisise things...

Wait, you mean in a segment that's based around how movie-games suck, he talks about how movie games suck? 

@MasterEmil said: 

Also good movies like Max Payne and Hitman, 

I wish you opened with that so I could have stopped reading far earlier.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Jeff isn't even watching the conference. He's on the show floor playing CoD black ops helicopter combat, so I don't know where you got these "quotes" from him about Ridge Racer and Killzone 3. He hasn't tweeted about them, which is where he would post such comments.

As for Ryan, he's Giant Bomb's resident dick. And every site needs a dick. It provides both humour and helps provide a pessimistic opinion to counter more optimistic ones. Just think of it as an alternate opinion.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fRAWRst

So they should pretend to be super psyched for 3d like mainsteam media? 3d is cool, but its nowhere near what people want out of it. Maybe the transition from 2d to 3d needs to take more time, because most of the time, i focus more in my head about "is this 3d? its just kinda weird looking and my eyes dont know where to focus". Its awkward, and gaming doesnt necessarily need it.  Jeff and Ryan are scoffing at all the developers rushing in to this "hot thing" and trying to cash in, while in reality 3d home tvs are quite a way off from being mainstream. Remeber the wii? It didnt need to be hd because less then 40% of the userbase had Hdtvs

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

I think that in the world of 3D taking over you need to vent your rage. 

With current technology it seems like a major waste of time and space on the discs to duplicate an image and force people to wear glasses that cause a major headache and lowers the quality of the game when viewed from a certain direction. 

countbolkonsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By countbolkonsky

Well 3D and motion controls have questionable track records so I can see why they would be doubtful as to how well this stuff will work. Jeff was fairly positive about kinect on the live stream last night. Also I think Nicholson is doing the blogs.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus
@MasterEmil:
Well guy, I'm reading their twitter feeds now and Ryan's completely stoked for 3DS.  

taswell   
Still need to play a game, but holy shit. The 3DS fucking WORKS. Advantage Nintendo! 

Sony just sucks this year dude, sorry.
kanilehua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kanilehua
@StarFoxA said:
" I'm pretty sure it's Brad Nicholson doing the live blog, but don't quote me on that. "
Oh whoops, sorry.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By jNerd

They're just realistic....

MasterEmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MasterEmil

I said i werent sure if it was Jeff Gerstmann who was writing the live blog and if it isent i am sorrry about the things i said.  

Frrawrst no they should pretend, but atleast try to be objective about it instead of just saying f*** that straight away.  

I see what you mean Mattty :D
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Brendan said:
"3D is still lame, and doesn't add value.  Therefore the Giantbomb crew, who are intelligent, see this and are understandably pessimistic about it. "

Also today isn't opposite day.
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JokerSmilez

Remember Jeff's description of Ryan going into E3:

""Ryan is an asshole."

@MasterEmil said:

" Also good movies like Max Payne and Hitman, well not top movies but medium he just shot down for nothing!? "
Uh.......no. Those movies are terrible.

And Jeff is not at the Sony press conference.
Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Semition
@MasterEmil said:
" Frrawrst no they should pretend, but atleast try to be objective about it instead of just saying f*** that straight away."
How are they not being objective? 3D on a console has almost nothing going for it.
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Changed a lot over the past 2 years? 
Isn't that about the age of Giantbomb? lol 

I agree with you to an extent. Jeff and Ryan can be pessimistic about a lot of games. But they are also stoked about a lot of games, they never ignore a game because they aren't excited about it, and they are not afraid to call shit...shit.  

Giantbomb isn't about being objective, it's about watching these dudes play video games (and get into hijinks) while they tell us their honest impressions and opinions. 
I'd rather know that Ryan, Jeff, and the rest of the crew don't know a lot about halo, that way when I read their review of a halo game, I know where they are coming from.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ragdrazi

So you're mad at Ryan didn't say anything good about the horrible movies he was watching on TANG, and you're mad at Jeff for giving his honest opinion?

MasterEmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MasterEmil

FinalDasa, i know that Giantbom is about them playing a game and just completly yeah say what tthey mean with no cencorship. And that is also one of the reasons im still here. 

But lately its justt been too much of the, baaah its shit i hate it.  Maybe its because the games lately havent been good? 

But i love when they play a game and yell AWESOME or something :P
Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MightyMayorMike

Really? Objective about 3D? Every post would be like "Well hey guys I guess we'll just have to wait and see." Objective blogging would be boring as hell.

MasterEmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MasterEmil

MightttyMayorMike i see your point and you got me there. 

But still it would be nice to have a bit tthe good vs the bad..
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hate to break it to you, but all the TANG movies were pretty awful. That's kinda the point of the series.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By Cube

Ryan is a dick, well known fact. But they're on the ball here.

MasterEmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MasterEmil

MysteriousBob, as i said maybe that was the point, to rant every gamme movie he could.  

But to me he just seems like a grumpy man who hates everrything...
Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

All TANG movies were bad, endo story. 

I would much rather have Jeff and Ryan be pessimistic, then have them jumping up and down over something that they haven't been able to personally test in an environment NOT run by Sony. I'm still waiting on people to tell me what 3D adds to a video game or movie,  a lot of the video game stuff is pipe dreams/wishful thinking. I think a lot of the pessimism just stems from everything getting this 3D treatment whether they need it or not, a lot of console games don't even run in full 720P and framerates. This could be just me but I'd rather have full HD (720P) and 60FPS over 3D effects.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By rjayb89

Sounds like you're a firm believer of the future of 3D.  Jeff has expressed his disinterest with the technology and sounds willing to accept it should it become more user-friendly and consumer-friendly (no glasses, lower cost).  For now, it sounds like a way to get people to get extra money for barely any effort in changing the way gaming is now.  Adding more visual depth to games isn't enough to impress our seasoned veteran.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MysteriousBob
@MasterEmil said:
" MysteriousBob, as i said maybe that was the point, to rant every gamme movie he could. "
Negative reviews are all the rage right now. Haven't you ever heard of the AVGN and all the kiddies trying to mimic him?
MasterEmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MasterEmil

Maniac, but is it not also best to stay neutral than just rant it off right away? As you say you want them to personally test it first, me too.  

rjay89 yes i am, soon i am also buying a 3D kit from Nvidia. For me it is cool with 3D, just to feel the depth is enough.  

Bob, no i havent?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

Ryan has been "pessimistic" or as I prefer to describe him "cautiously judicious" since, well, forever.  I think Jeff is still positive.  I listened to yesterday's Bombcast and he was positive about the potential he saw in the train-wreck that was the Microsoft Kinect press conference.  I don't know how you can describe him as pessimistic when he still tries to find the good in something like the device following its laughably bad unveiling.     

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
@StarFoxA said:
" I'm pretty sure it's Brad Nicholson doing the live blog, but don't quote me on that. "
Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dauragon

How dare Ryan talk negatively about the quality works of uwe boll

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FakePlasticTree

Historically 3D and motion control don't have very good track records. I can understand their skepticism.  

Still, if they don't like it they don't like it. Everyone's got their opinions. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Rhaknar

Jeff wasnt even AT the sony press conference, he was on the show floor playing Call Of Duty Black Ops, and then Portal 2

As usual, uninformed statements are awesome!

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I see nothing wrong with the truth. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That.  I don't see any problem with people airing out their gut reactions for something as subjective and inconsequential as video games (politics is a different story: think before you speak).  I would much rather listen to skeptics than cheerleaders.
greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By greennoodles

3D is great, the problem is no one can afford the tech needed to use it. 

Also Max Payne and Hitman were NOT good movies.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#37  Edited By delta_ass
@MasterEmil said:
" Also good movies like Max Payne and Hitman, well not top movies but medium he just shot down for nothing!?  "
Ryan might be an asshole, but you're an idiot.
Jet_Speedway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jet_Speedway

Is this suppose to be some sort of fag post? because I'm not buying it.

Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Phantom

They are right though, 3D is just a ridiculous thing to try and sell more TVs and things, do people actually want it? Generally no.

ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By ribeye

i don't mind the pessimism but it bugs me when they gang up on brad 

pretty sure he meant the ability to fast travel to wherever you've already been is the next logical step, not that the act of warping from a campfire was logical....