Why does everybody still play competitive online FPS games?

• 78 results
vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Edited By vendetta

Competitive online multiplayer shooters really haven't grabbed me since back during the days of Unreal Tournament 2004 or the first Call of Duty game. Following those two, I really just lost a lot of interest in the genre. I've been playing it since back in the Goldeneye days (sans the online aspect), and I feel like I've seen pretty much all there is to see in the genre, barring a few innovations here and there such as the leveling system introduced in the first Modern Warfare.

I've always wondered why other types of games get so much flak for failing to innovate, yet first person shooters consistently feature the exact same basic design for their online multiplayer and nothing is mentioned about it. A great example is the rhythm genre, which is falling flat on its face thanks to oversaturation and a total lack of any kind of meaningful innovation. Why do we get sick of those games, but a new FPS for us to play online every three months is a totally welcome release?

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

Because the competition is with others is what makes it fun.  Sports games really haven't evolved dramatically and it is pointed out with them but these 2 genres get a pass because it is fun to play against others in  both.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By crunchUK

Because unlike rhythm games, whilst FPS all seem very similar the tiny things completely change the MP underneath the surface. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

Lets face it, there are some things that we enjoy doing in online shooters...and then there are all of the modes, maps and weapons that get no use.

People want something specific out of online shooters, and I'm not sure where you could go from their without essentially creating a different genre. I mean, how do you mkae "shoot the guy and he dead!!!" more fun? Dramatic changesUsually just unbalance the game somehow. 

I will say that there is development in online shooters, but it has been a strong evolutionary process. All those little changes have lead to markedly different games than we played back in "the good old days" ("Its a stupid thing we say, cursing tommorrow with sorrow!")

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sexy_nipples

Most console kiddies started gaming online when? Like I think COD4 was probably their first online competitive FPS. 

They aren't nearly as good as they were before. Like compare Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 1942. 

Compare MW2 to COD1 w/ United Offensive 

Compare UT3 to UT2004 

They've been dumbed down for a wider audience sadly. I mean look at the first Operation Flashpoint. Look at the one released in 2009.  

Hell, people call COD4's multiplayer innovative LOL.  

Musicom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Musicom

The majority of the genre's audience likely weren't around back in the heyday of Counter-Strike or Unreal Tournament. It's not so much that everybody 'still' plays them, it's that with XBL and PSN most people are only just getting started with online shooters.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

I'm with you dude.  My last real game I really got into was UT2k4 and Killzone 2, but mostly UT2k4.

I just can't stand console FPS games (aside from KZ2)....too many kids, too many idiots on an open mic, and I'm just tired of being called a faggot, jew, cunt, gaylord, etc...

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sexy_nipples
@KaosAngel said:
" I'm with you dude.  My last real game I really got into was UT2k4 and Killzone 2, but mostly UT2k4.  I just can't stand console FPS games (aside from KZ2)....too many kids, too many idiots on an open mic, and I'm just tired of being called a faggot, jew, cunt, gaylord, etc... "
Not to mention the minute a girl speaks up, people go insane. I feel so bad for them. 

Like on TF2 on PC, I play with girls. Like my favorite server, there is at least 2 girls playing and people don't go batshit insane because they aren't immature like the XBL community or PSN community. 

If you want to actually pick up girls online in gaming, go play WoW 
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VisariLoyalist

for fun

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sodiumCyclops

It's fun. Why do you play any kind of game?

Pretty retarded question OP.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Synthballs

It's a winning format. 
People enjoy it.
Beats JRPG.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nintendoeats
@Synthballs said:
" It's a winning format.  People enjoy it. Beats JRPG. "
QFT
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel

I miss playing UT2k4 and taking off the full HUD and just playing Insta-Gib.  It was pure reflex and energy.

Why did UT3 fail so hard?  I was so hyped for that game since it was UT2k7...why did they go for the Gears graphics and not that semi-cartoony look of UT2k4?  UT is never meant to be serious...it frickin' takes about 6 rockets to kill a guy.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Interfect

Just because they don't grab your attention, doesn't mean others wont enjoy them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

To each his/her own.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Osaladin

Because it's fun, the only reason anyone should be playing video games.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Because they do innovate. In the details, it's not like the basic act of shooting and killing will change, but the feel of everything, controls, multiplayer features, and the overall complexity will.  

Plus there's different kinds of games with different feels to them. There's tactical ones, arcadey ones, ones that promote teamwork, and good ol' arena deathmatches.  

There's a lot of possible variations to them. People thinking they don't change or innovate, or whatever aren't thinking very well, I'd say. That's not even counting all the hybrids they're making with other genres. Plenty of room for online FPS games.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel

This is a competitive game, and I have yet to play anything close to what duels in UT2k4 were like...say what you want, but watching duels were one thing but playing them was a different world.  It was pure skill and no luck, most intense moment ever in cometitive shooter.

EDIT:  I dare any Halo gamer to play me in UT3 or UT2k4 with them using their crappy controllers in a duel.  I'll show them what a true FPS game is.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nintendoeats
@Osaladin said:
" Because it's fun, the only reason anyone should be playing video games. "

...Or because of the artistic potential...? That seems like a good reason to play games. Not online shooters maybe, but games for sure.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

people play these types of games because they can just jump right into the game and start playing it. once they are done they can stop playing and continue to do their work. it is why it is so popular to play. sadly though they have dumbed down games a lot so there would be more people to play them.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Skytylz

Games are expensive and multiplayer shooters give gamers hours upon hours of gameplay.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Osaladin
@nintendoeats said:

" @Osaladin said:

...Or because of the artistic potential...? That seems like a good reason to play games. Not online shooters maybe, but games for sure. "
I think artistic potential just draws people's interests towards certain games. The reason they will keep playing the game is because they enjoy it.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nintendoeats
@Osaladin said:
" @nintendoeats said:

" @Osaladin said:

...Or because of the artistic potential...? That seems like a good reason to play games. Not online shooters maybe, but games for sure. "
I think artistic potential just draws people's interests towards certain games. The reason they will keep playing the game is because they enjoy it. "
But there is a difference between enjoying something and having "fun." I ENJOYED watching Downfall, but it sure wasn't fun. I ENJOY reading 1984, but I don't consider that to be remotely fun either.
Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Crocio

Nostalgia; I remember when online FPS games were fast paced and interesting.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Vendetta:  I got a better question for you: why are online fighting games fun? just beating each other up over and over and over in a narrow 2D game...  

i'll tell you why. its human nature.. as long as there's pwning and killing and owning others and teabagging, with lots, lots of GUNZ and big explosions, it'll keep rolling for fucking ever. thats why im disgusted by multiplayer Modern Warfare fans.. their neverending ache to kill each other in such a boring and repititive game is beyond me. i do like me some Battlefield though because it throws you into huge maps with lots of fun possibilities and tactical sniping and vehicles and all that..
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Osaladin
@nintendoeats said:
" @Osaladin said:
" @nintendoeats said:

" @Osaladin said:

I think artistic potential just draws people's interests towards certain games. The reason they will keep playing the game is because they enjoy it. "
But there is a difference between enjoying something and having "fun." I ENJOYED watching Downfall, but it sure wasn't fun. I ENJOY reading 1984, but I don't consider that to be remotely fun either. "
You make a valid point, I guess it just goes back to "to each his own". I wouldn't say I enjoyed reading 1984, but I finished it because I was interested in the story.
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Daryl

Because we aren't shit like you. (joking of course)

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By vendetta
This turned out to be a great discussion. Awesome stuff.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Vendetta:  I got a better question for you: why are online fighting games fun? just beating each other up over and over and over in a narrow 2D game...   i'll tell you why. its human nature.. as long as there's pwning and killing and owning others and teabagging, with lots, lots of GUNZ and big explosions, it'll keep rolling for fucking ever. thats why im disgusted by multiplayer Modern Warfare fans.. their neverending ache to kill each other in such a boring and repititive game is beyond me. i do like me some Battlefield though because it throws you into huge maps with lots of fun possibilities and tactical sniping and vehicles and all that.. "
I don't find fighting games entertaining, either. Perhaps it's just my taste. I've always found character-driven games with a strong narrative to be my bread and butter.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Vendetta:

Why do people play competitive board, bat and ball and many other games which are over 1000 years old?

I think you get my drift.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GreggD
@KaosAngel said:
" I'm with you dude.  My last real game I really got into was UT2k4 and Killzone 2, but mostly UT2k4.  I just can't stand console FPS games (aside from KZ2)....too many kids, too many idiots on an open mic, and I'm just tired of being called a faggot, jew, cunt, gaylord, etc... "
I haven't encountered any of that in Bad Company 2, yet. Just a lot of teamwork and helping each other out.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By napalm

I don't know man, they all suck - seriously. I much prefer single player experiences hands down. The only reason why my statement seems vague is I have expanded upon in various formats my dislike of multiplayer gaming. The only reward these days seems to me aim > spray > insta-win. I used to play Gears Of War, and Call Of Duty 4 online, so I'm not making a statement like, "they were so much better two years ago," but after recently playing through and enjoying various single player games, as well as playing older pc games (System Shock 2), I realized these single experiences are so much more rewarding and fun than a contest that is purely formulaic.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By trophyhunter

fun??

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By trophyhunter

for fun??

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crunchUK
@nintendoeats said:
" @Osaladin said:

Maybe if you're a pretentious twat
sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sdauz

Simple playing against a human is more interesting, engaging, harder and creative than against any AI

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By immike

Because first person shooters are the only lasting multiplayer games anymore. Most of them take just enough skill, allow just enough room for beginners, and have plenty of customizable options to personalize the experience. You can say that other games have this as well, but they really don't and it's sad. I'd give up shooters for a good, long while if something else came out that had a lasting singleplayer or multiplayer experience.

Recently I've been playing Dawn of Discovery on my DS (as well as Pokemon) and that game has a ton of re playability and can be very addicting. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@crunchUK said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" @Osaladin said:

Maybe if you're a pretentious twat "
What about those guys who spend hours enjoying Garry's Mod creating stuff?  I think it's a little unfair to call people names if you don't enjoy what they might. 
Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dirty_Harry

The only fps í play online is TF2, i love that game to death! you are rewarded for great team play and smart strategy.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Alexander

Because AI is never going to offer the dynamic of mutiplayer. You can play the same maps over and over and have a different experience each time. The FPS genre has come some way from the dated and stale power-up based shooters a la Quake and Unreal Tournament.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ArchScabby
@sexy_nipples said:
" Most console kiddies started gaming online when? Like I think COD4 was probably their first online competitive FPS.  They aren't nearly as good as they were before. Like compare Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 1942.  Compare MW2 to COD1 w/ United Offensive  Compare UT3 to UT2004  They've been dumbed down for a wider audience sadly. I mean look at the first Operation Flashpoint. Look at the one released in 2009.   Hell, people call COD4's multiplayer innovative LOL.   "
I play console games so I don't have to listen to elitist PC assholes like this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually he's right, FPS games have been dumb down for consoles FPS, will always be better on PC that isnt a elitist talking thats a fact.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By frankxiv

i wish they would make a nonviolent fps, and it was like the best one out no question and it attracted all the hardest of the hardcore dudes and had an insane competitive scene

like paintball or nerf or something, but it played like (insert name of your favorite fps here), but BETTER.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Alexander
@onimonkii said:
" i wish they would make a nonviolent fps, and it was like the best one out no question and it attracted all the hardest of the hardcore dudes and had an insane competitive scene  like paintball or nerf or something, but it played like (insert name of your favorite fps here), but BETTER. "
What a terrible idea.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By frankxiv

that's why it needs to happen.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@ArchScabby said:
" @sexy_nipples said:
" Most console kiddies started gaming online when? Like I think COD4 was probably their first online competitive FPS.  They aren't nearly as good as they were before. Like compare Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 1942.  Compare MW2 to COD1 w/ United Offensive  Compare UT3 to UT2004  They've been dumbed down for a wider audience sadly. I mean look at the first Operation Flashpoint. Look at the one released in 2009.   Hell, people call COD4's multiplayer innovative LOL.   "
I play console games so I don't have to listen to elitist PC assholes like this. "
Yeah he comes across like that, it's true. Except that he's mostly right.  Console games are pretty much always streamlined experiences due to the limits of the control interface. 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ArchScabby
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" @sexy_nipples said:
I play console games so I don't have to listen to elitist PC assholes like this. "
Yeah he comes across like that, it's true. Except that he's mostly right.  Console games are pretty much always streamlined experiences due to the limits of the control interface.  "
Well I didn't necessarily mean just this post.  I've seen his other posts, and he's totally like that.
Inquisitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Inquisitor

As to why the competitive online FPS never loses its charm while other genres kind of die down in intervalls and then have comebacks... I think its the e-pen factor; competitive online FPS mostly (i didnt say only) attract a certain kind of people - pubescent males with the compulsive urge to be primates (both as in behaving like monkeys and coming first) a.k.a. "to PWN" - those also happen to be a very easy to satisfy and lucrative target demographic, and their ranks are ever renewing, too... But for correctness sake i'll say that we cant apply this to competitive online FPS exclusively, they just take a great slice of the phenomenon. Still, i rather much prefer to have this kind of individual locked away in a basement screaming at others of his kind over xbox live while grinding ranks and perks on Modern Warfare than to actively ruin the experience of something i'm actually partaking in myself, so, the "problematic" doesnt really touch me, as i dont obsess about competitive multiplayer nor FPS, the're both cool and to be consumed with moderation, but the industry - any kind of industry - doesnt make money on moderation; its the excesses. And i'm done =P

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Karl_Boss

Because its simply just fun and competitive.....though I prefer arcade type online shooters like Timesplitters Future Perfect over Modern Warfare or Battlefield

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ErrorOperator
@Inquisitor said:
"

As to why the competitive online FPS never loses its charm while other genres kind of die down in intervalls and then have comebacks... I think its the e-pen factor; competitive online FPS mostly (i didnt say only) attract a certain kind of people - pubescent males with the compulsive urge to be primates (both as in behaving like monkeys and coming first) a.k.a. "to PWN" - those also happen to be a very easy to satisfy and lucrative target demographic, and their ranks are ever renewing, too... But for correctness sake i'll say that we cant apply this to competitive online FPS exclusively, they just take a great slice of the phenomenon. Still, i rather much prefer to have this kind of individual locked away in a basement screaming at others of his kind over xbox live while grinding ranks and perks on Modern Warfare than to actively ruin the experience of something i'm actually partaking in myself, so, the "problematic" doesnt really touch me, as i dont obsess about competitive multiplayer nor FPS, the're both cool and to be consumed with moderation, but the industry - any kind of industry - doesnt make money on moderation; its the excesses. And i'm done =P

"
What? I have been playing competitive FPS's for years, and ive never walked into anyone shouting PWNED when they get a kill. As for dumbing down games, i dont think you are right in anyway. Games may seem dumbed down when your messing around with friends, but the whole point of a competitive community is to look in minute detail at how the game works and what weapons should be doing what and actually make it a more complicated game than it seems. Take Team Fortress 2 for example, what comes off as a cartoony easy to play game is in my opinion the most complicated competitive FPS game out there, there is so much to be learnt in terms of tactics and aim. Many competitive players dont play for the e peen either, many play because its a way to have to clever yet games with your friends, instead of playing publics with about 10 other people on your team its just you and your playing against other people.