Windows 7 users, what do u think of 7(Beta)

Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Recession

I love it to death, its only a beta and it works faster then Vista, the new start bar is my favorite, it doesnt have dreamscene though, im sure it will when its released to market, the only thing I hate it the desktop bar being of the right and not the left! But games are amazing they play like they did on XP! I wish they would beta the 64bit verison! Hopefully MS will make own a Home and Pro edition instead of 6 different ones! MS may have there act together on this one! Hasnt froze once, reminds me of how well XP SP2 works.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Cirdain

I wish I had the beta...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Where can you get the beta? or is this a closed beta?

Time for some investigation!!!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cirdain

To be honest I think their is a open beta this week... or that could have been a dream...

Mr_Bauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Mr_Bauer
Cirdain said:
"To be honest I think their is a open beta this week... or that could have been a dream..."
its supposed to start sometime tomorrow :)
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cirdain
Mr_Bauer said:
"Cirdain said:
"To be honest I think their is a open beta this week... or that could have been a dream..."
its supposed to start sometime tomorrow :)"
Yi-PEE FUCKING YAY!
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By KamasamaK

By the way, to anyone who might have complaints about Windows 7 (and I'm sure there will be plenty), try sending feedback through the proper means unlike many people. Microsoft does read and consider the feedback from their betas. It was released today to subscribers of the MSDN and TechNet services and tomorrow will be when the general public gets access.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail
Cirdain said:
"Mr_Bauer said:
"Cirdain said:
its supposed to start sometime tomorrow :)"
Yi-PEE FUCKING YAY!"
It's a Windows 7 beta... No reason to be so happy. Have you ever seen a Windows beta? Like the Vista one for example? Absolute crap.. it will only be of your interest only if you are way into computer engineering.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KamasamaK

It's available here for anyone interested.

Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Recession
Bucketdeth said:
"Where can you get the beta? or is this a closed beta?

Time for some investigation!!!"
well its now out though MS.......or *cough* bittorrent
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Stevokenevo

I was amazed to read about this in the paper today.  I was under the impression they should still be working on making Vista somewhat decent.  I still use xp and havent felt any need to change up. 

Can anyone describe what Windows 7 will do that xp or vista won't?  

Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Woffls

I've downloaded the 64bit ISO straight from Microsoft through links which now don't work. I will install it now quickly, then hover around the Windows 7 homepage for the access to the keys to appear. This is funtastic! :D

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

If this is a beta, presumably it's full-featured, couldn't somebody just use this beta as their default OS and not bother paying to upgrade Vista? What do you lose by permanantly using this beta? Can you remove it easily?

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KamasamaK
AlwaysCrashing said:
"If this is a beta, presumably it's full-featured, couldn't somebody just use this beta as their default OS and not bother paying to upgrade Vista? What do you lose by permanantly using this beta? Can you remove it easily?"
The beta expires on August 1. I don't see how one would remove an OS without reformatting unless you're doing an upgrade or it was installed to another partition/VM, which in both cases the current OS doesn't need to support the removal.
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By roofy

im loving the speed of it but im so used to my desktop tweaks that i find the use of a taskbar awkward.
a little bit of time and im sure i will love it.
nothing can replace rocketdock for me though

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By agent_lost

not really my option but it need to share it

caption
caption
Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Steven

I really love it, I've been running it for two or three weeks now and it's worked completely flawlessly.  I am an avid pc user and have had no issues.

Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Woffls

I think it's great so far. No crashes or compatability issues. It recognised both my displays (one being a TV over hdmi) and my 360 over the network, and all the drivers I needed were pre-installed. It has some really well thought out navigational additions and window/program management. Themes are awesome too, i've yet to make my own, assuming you can do so, but it rotates through a selection of wallpapers to a set colour and transparancy of the windows and start menu.

I also got some keys for the Beta, but it looks like everyone is getting the same keys so far, so i'm not sure how limited this beta is going to be.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cirdain
Steven said:
"I really love it, I've been running it for two or three weeks now and it's worked completely flawlessly.  I am an avid pc user and have had no issues."
Woffls said:
"I think it's great so far. No crashes or compatability issues. It recognised both my displays (one being a TV over hdmi) and my 360 over the network, and all the drivers I needed were pre-installed. It has some really well thought out navigational additions and window/program management. Themes are awesome too, i've yet to make my own, assuming you can do so, but it rotates through a selection of wallpapers to a set colour and transparancy of the windows and start menu.

I also got some keys for the Beta, but it looks like everyone is getting the same keys so far, so i'm not sure how limited this beta is going to be."

Can someone tell me if this work for it

ps. watch from 0:55 or 1:00 in. <- this was and is the most usful thing on vista for me

Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Woffls said:
"I think it's great so far. No crashes or compatability issues. It recognised both my displays (one being a TV over hdmi) and my 360 over the network, and all the drivers I needed were pre-installed. It has some really well thought out navigational additions and window/program management. Themes are awesome too, i've yet to make my own, assuming you can do so, but it rotates through a selection of wallpapers to a set colour and transparancy of the windows and start menu.

I also got some keys for the Beta, but it looks like everyone is getting the same keys so far, so i'm not sure how limited this beta is going to be."

So essentially it's windows vista after service pack 1?
Pulling the mojave effect  I see, lulz.
PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By PufferFiz

anyone else have trouble downloading?
I am at the download screen (after you verify your email) and the download won't start.
Well It gave me a product key so maybe  I will bittorrent, then I don't have to use a download manager.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By pirate_republic

It's awesome, I'm using it as I type this. Even on my semi-mediocre PC it works great, and I didn't even have to touch any of my driver CDs. Good job MS.

EDIT: just posted a preview in OT. Look at the images, and you'll see that this is NOT Vista with SP1. It has lots of great new features.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cirdain
pirate_republic said:
"It's awesome, I'm using it as I type this. Even on my semi-mediocre PC it works great, and I didn't even have to touch any of my driver CDs. Good job MS.

EDIT: just posted a preview in OT. Look at the images, and you'll see that this is NOT Vista with SP1. It has lots of great new features."
''
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KamasamaK
PufferFiz said:
"anyone else have trouble downloading?
I am at the download screen (after you verify your email) and the download won't start.
Well It gave me a product key so maybe  I will bittorrent, then I don't have to use a download manager."
The normal download method requires you to use IE.
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cirdain
Kamasama said:
"PufferFiz said:
"anyone else have trouble downloading?
Well It gave me a product key so maybe  I will bittorrent, then I don't have to use a download manager."
The normal download method requires you to use IE."
Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Recession
Stevokenevo said:
"I was amazed to read about this in the paper today.  I was under the impression they should still be working on making Vista somewhat decent.  I still use xp and havent felt any need to change up. 

Can anyone describe what Windows 7 will do that xp or vista won't?  "
unlike Vista, it doesnt whore out ur ram

Direct download link

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q408-windows-7-direct-download-links/
Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Recession
Kamasama said:
"AlwaysCrashing said:
"If this is a beta, presumably it's full-featured, couldn't somebody just use this beta as their default OS and not bother paying to upgrade Vista? What do you lose by permanantly using this beta? Can you remove it easily?"
The beta expires on August 1. I don't see how one would remove an OS without reformatting unless you're doing an upgrade or it was installed to another partition/VM, which in both cases the current OS doesn't need to support the removal."
you will be able to buy the final verison by that date
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pirate_republic
Recession said:
"Kamasama said:
"AlwaysCrashing said:
The beta expires on August 1. I don't see how one would remove an OS without reformatting unless you're doing an upgrade or it was installed to another partition/VM, which in both cases the current OS doesn't need to support the removal."
you will be able to buy the final verison by that date"
No, however presumably Beta 2 will be released then. The final product might not be released until early next year. And secondly, this is a full featured OS. It is hard to remove and install, and yes you could use it as your primary OS.
HOWEVER, the reason MS gives this out for free, is to collect information on the hardware of the users, and to automatically collect crash information. You then, are supposed to report all bugs you find in the interest of making the OS better. It's a two-way deal.
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cirdain
pirate_republic said:
"Recession said:
"Kamasama said:
"AlwaysCrashing said:
No, however presumably Beta 2 will be released then. The final product might not be released until early next year. And secondly, this is a full featured OS. It is hard to remove and install, and yes you could use it as your primary OS.
HOWEVER, the reason MS gives this out for free, is to collect information on the hardware of the users, and to automatically collect crash information. You then, are supposed to report all bugs you find in the interest of making the OS better. It's a two-way deal.
"
  Awesome
youstolemykill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By youstolemykill

I`m really digging it. Have it running on spare machine, with 1.7 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, only 1GB of RAM. Running really great. Just google windows 7, for link.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By xplodedd
Agent_Lost said:
"not really my option but it need to share it

caption
caption
"
funny...
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wefwefasdf

It really does run great and has some really nice features. I have had one blue screen but other than that... no problems.

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rivix

I'm a Mac user but have nothing against Windows. I hope it turns out good! 

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By End_Boss

I really want to try this Windows 7 deal but I'm a little hesitant due to it expiring in August. What guarantee do we have that we'll be able to download the Beta 2 by then? Also, what will happen to the programs I have currently installed if I download the new OS?

The part about Windows 7 not whoring out my RAM as much as Vista is particularly interesting as I only have 1 GB. Deets, please.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Steven

Early next year?  No way, conventional wisdom is it will be released this summer.  Something would have to go wrong for it to be pushed back that much.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

after trying it.  I can officially confirm to you that  windows 7 = windows vista after service pack 1
It's going to be just like that mojave experiment thign.  Same shit, but different idea about it.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pirate_republic
Steven said:
"Early next year?  No way, conventional wisdom is it will be released this summer.  Something would have to go wrong for it to be pushed back that much."
No man, it was said they were aiming for an early 2009 release in their keynote. Unless you have a source to tell me otherwise...

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KamasamaK
pirate_republic said:
"Recession said:
"Kamasama said:
"AlwaysCrashing said:
No, however presumably Beta 2 will be released then. The final product might not be released until early next year. And secondly, this is a full featured OS. It is hard to remove and install, and yes you could use it as your primary OS."
I'm pretty sure they said something about there being only one beta, but there will almost surely be a RC before the final release. It's not hard to remove or install either.

pirate_republic said:
"Steven said:
"Early next year?  No way, conventional wisdom is it will be released this summer.  Something would have to go wrong for it to be pushed back that much."
No man, it was said they were aiming for an early 2009 release in their keynote. Unless you have a source to tell me otherwise...
"
It is feature complete and rather stable. What is going to take them a year? All of the analysts have said it's shipping later this year. If someone from Microsoft did say that, it might have been a safety in case something goes wrong. They don't want to promise something they can't guarantee, so then it is going to be out by 2010. Also, they're offering free upgrades to people who purchase a Vista PC after July 1; that would be about twice as long as the same deal offered for Vista.
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By granderojo

Hopefully it is the working version of Vista that they were supposed to release.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Snail

IT HAS INVISIBLE WINDOWS! I am sold.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pirate_republic
Kamasama said:
"pirate_republic said:
"Recession said:
"Kamasama said:
"AlwaysCrashing said:
No, however presumably Beta 2 will be released then. The final product might not be released until early next year. And secondly, this is a full featured OS. It is hard to remove and install, and yes you could use it as your primary OS."
I'm pretty sure they said something about there being only one beta, but there will almost surely be a RC before the final release. It's not hard to remove or install either.

pirate_republic said:
"Steven said:
"
It is feature complete and rather stable. What is going to take them a year? All of the analysts have said it's shipping later this year. If someone from Microsoft did say that, it might have been a safety in case something goes wrong. They don't want to promise something they can't guarantee, so then it is going to be out by 2010. Also, they're offering free upgrades to people who purchase a Vista PC after July 1; that would be about twice as long as the same deal offered for Vista."
I know it's retarded to wait until next year, but that's what they said in the keynote (got a source to prove me otherwise? I do want it to come out in 09).
And it is hard to remove... if you have the technical know-how, which I doubt AlwaysCrashing has. For me and you it's easy, sure.
Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Excuberance

Am I the only Linux user around these fori?

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By serbsta

Its fucking amazing! And this is only the beta.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KamasamaK
pirate_republic said:
"I know it's retarded to wait until next year, but that's what they said in the keynote (got a source to prove me otherwise? I do want it to come out in 09).
And it is hard to remove... if you have the technical know-how, which I doubt AlwaysCrashing has. For me and you it's easy, sure."
If they said it in the keynote, then obviously there would be no source to dispute that and since I didn't see the keynote I'll take your word for it. There are several sources, however, that dispute the accuracy of that claim. [1]  [2]  [3]  [4]  [5]  for just a few. I wouldn't dispute the possibility, just the likelihood.
And it's not hard to remove. There are only two ways I know of to remove an OS install, and that's to format or to install another OS in its place if supported. Both of those are simple processes, and if someone doesn't know how to do one then they can look it up and find the few steps are easy to follow.
dualityofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dualityofman

So will Vista go the way of Windows ME then?