Would You Actually Meet Someone On Giantbomb In Person?

• 175 results
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By GoofyGoober

Sure why not.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#103  Edited By Dagbiker

Sure, but I wouldn't hook up with some random dude. I would probably get to know them first. Not so much because Im afraid of strangers hurting me, but because Im afraid of strangers in general.

I have Aspergers, and If I don't know someone, I can fake being friendly, but It wont be fun, for ether party involved. I have to be comfortable. And even knowing them online, I wont be.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#104  Edited By nerdsbeware

Ya, ya'll seem like a bunch of chill duders who share common interests. I don't see why we wouldn't have the potential to have a good time.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ch3burashka

...you mean you all aren't bots?

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#106  Edited By Valkyr

I actually met someone from GB and after some years of friendship he ended up being my roommate early this year, crazy stuff

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#107  Edited By C0V3RT

It's harmless enough, you just have to be smart about it.

Fun fact, I first started talking to my wife when I was 13 on the old MSN gaming zone. We kept in touch, met when we were 19, dated/were engaged for 8 years and were married last year.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By Jay444111

Depends... are these regular users and if they met anyone else in the past... mainly for the fact that I don't want to be invited to a house of a serial murderer that inhabits this site for people like me...

Yes, I am paranoid... but fuck, I would rather be right than wrong when it comes to my head staying on my shoulders!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By mandude

@C0V3RT said:

Fun fact, I first started talking to my wife when I was 13 on the old MSN gaming zone. We kept in touch, met when we were 19, dated/were engaged for 8 years and were married last year.

Fun fact, everyone on the internet wants to kill you and do things to the body.

It's obvious that your "wife", as you call her, is only waiting for the opportune moment to murder you.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By falserelic

@Jay444111 said:

Depends... are these regular users and if they met anyone else in the past... mainly for the fact that I don't want to be invited to a house of a serial murderer that inhabits this site for people like me...

Yes, I am paranoid... but fuck, I would rather be right than wrong when it comes to my head staying on my shoulders!

I can actually imagine that. It will be like The Last House on the left all over again.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By supamon

I've already made and met friends with people over on xbox so I don't see why not. Just be smart about it and get to know them first.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#112  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I travelled halfway around the world to share a hotel room with a bunch of Giant Bomb duders I had never met before (Incidentally, is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet). and I met up loads of times to go buy comicbooks and, weirdly, he knew one of the girls I was working with at the time. I spent a whole week running around Boston with Giant Bomb peeps. Met all the staff and friends of the site, went to Rock Band Night and successfully managed to not vomit all over the stage after eating a mammoth 5Guys burger. Most surreal moment of PAX was probably sitting between Rich Gallup and Jeff while eating meatloaf in some jazz basement. PAX was kinda amazing like that...

I tried to meet up with when I was last in Amsterdam but he was working (like a dick), and I got invited to and though. There's a lot of people I know pretty well from the early days of the site when the community was a lot smaller and everyone used to hang around in the IRC. I actually bumped into a couple of guys wearing GB-member shirts at my work, even. There a lot of people I know on the site who I would be happy to meet but they are usually scattered across some obscure continent that makes them geographically unavailable. Whenever there's an event like Eurogamer Expo or PAX I have always enjoyed meeting other members of the community, though. It's a lot more bearable queuing for Skyrim when you can poke for entertainment.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Yeah, with those who I follow.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By falserelic

@AlexanderSheen said:

So the LegendaryAlexanderSheen. I always thought that you would want to meet the VideoGameKing Or Cloudenvy in person. All of you seem to share a common interest in animes.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@falserelic said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

So the LegendaryAlexanderSheen. I always thought that you would want to meet the VideoGameKing Or Cloudenvy in person. All of you seem to share a common interest in animes.

I follow more people than these two, but what you said is true, I would meet with these duders.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116  Edited By Sayishere

Yeah why not.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117  Edited By imhungry

I probably wouldn't feel so good about specifically arranging to meet up with someone, but at conventions and stuff sure why not. And then after I've met them in person we could arrange to meet up some other time.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#118  Edited By GunnBjorn

I'd have no trouble with meeting Giant Bombers for real. But I warn you, I'm a very uninteresting individual. You'll get bored of me real quick.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#119  Edited By wrighteous86

I've always thought the idea of internet friends was weird. The people on my Facebook/Xbox Friends Lists are all people I've known in real life. Aside from arguing and debating, I never really understood the point of forums. I just didn't get why you wouldn't connect with someone you know in real life in lieu of someone on a computer thousands of miles away, unless you have serious social issues.

Then I lost my job, was unemployed for a year, and needed something to occupy my time. I started posting on this site A LOT, since it was the only site that I visited regularly. I wound up meeting my girlfriend here (we just celebrated our 1-year) and now it doesn't seem as weird to me. People are people, man. People are people. And some of them are hot.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By falserelic

@GunnBjorn said:

I'd have no trouble with meeting Giant Bombers for real. But I warn you, I'm a very uninteresting individual. You'll get bored of me real quick.

Come on. You can't be that boring its no way....

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121  Edited By Rowr

D. Yes. I married them.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By falserelic

Thinking about it my friend would actually date a few girls on GB. He saw some of there profile pics, and he could actually imagine himself dating them. As for me I probably wouldn't be to interesting for the chicks on GB. What GB member in general would actually want to hangout with me.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By duskvamp

@CL60 said:

I'm glad C. isn't winning. Really, meeting somebody you met on the internet is really no different than meeting somebody in real life. Either way the person could be an insane maniac and you wouldn't know until you've been with them for a bit. Children probably shouldn't meet people on the internet though. But we're adults, we would be fine.

My thoughts exactly. Meeting someone that you've gotten to know online, if you get to know them well enough is no more "dangerous" than hanging out with someone you've never spoken to before in a bar. It would be a lot harder and time consuming for a serial killer to groom people online for months to meet up and kill than to go to a club on a Friday night and pick up some drunks. I flew 4000 miles to meet someone I met on GB, and it was the best thing I ever did. I also met my best friend online.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#124  Edited By Oni

@Sweep said:

I tried to meet up with when I was last in Amsterdam but he was working (like a dick)

Some day, Sweep, some day...

I'd love to go to PAX some time to meet up with duders. I wonder if my former mod status would make me eligible for top-secret drinking parties... hmm...

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By halberdierv2

the people from my chat group originated from giantbomb, and they seem like cool people, so I wouldn't mind meeting them.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Brenderous

Is there going to be a PAX Prime meetup, besides the GB panel?

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By medacris

I wouldn't mind, as long as I knew them well (i.e. chatting on a regular basis for a few months) first. I don't know right now if anyone would be interested, though.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Oni said:

@Sweep said:

I tried to meet up with when I was last in Amsterdam but he was working (like a dick)

Some day, Sweep, some day...

I'd love to go to PAX some time to meet up with duders. I wonder if my former mod status would make me eligible for top-secret drinking parties... hmm...

Don't see why not. We had a couple of people crash this year who have never (Cough*matt*cough) been moderators. You just gotta know the right people ;)

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#129  Edited By Nux

Sure why not. Most people here seem pretty cool.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#130  Edited By Y2Ken

I would meet up with Giant Bomb users if I was at a convention or something. I would probably not just meet up with someone I didn't know just as the two of us though.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Scrawnto

Maybe. Probably not one on one. I did go to the Whiskey Media Block Party. That was pretty cool.

Edit: I'm obviously not counting people I knew before I came to Giant Bomb, like and .

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By fugie7

maybe.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By sjosz

Sure, I guess?

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By glyn

Are any of these giant bomb fans female?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By CaLe

The last person I met from the online tried to hold my hand within the first 5 minutes of meeting, so no. Some weirdos out there and you must protect your chastity at all costs.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By C0V3RT

@mandude said:

@C0V3RT said:

Fun fact, everyone on the internet wants to kill you and do things to the body.

It's obvious that your "wife", as you call her, is only waiting for the opportune moment to murder you.

Oh shit! I guess I'll have to murder her first then, huh?

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#137  Edited By YI_Orange

Sure, why not. I seem to have more in common with people on the internet than people I meet in real life. Also, if someone from the internet wants to meet, I figure there's two ways it can go.

1) They're a murderer

2) They're a pretty cool person and worth meeting.

Those aren't terrible odds.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#138  Edited By Arbie

I would, but only if I felt really comfortable with the person. I get pretty awkward around people I've known for years so it'd be a big deal for me meeting someone from online. But as long as they knew that and were okay with it then sure! I don't think I'd go alone though. In fact, whenever I've met someone from online I've had a friend with me. Safety first kids! Wait, that sounds like . . . never mind.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By matt

@Sweep: HEY! I mean you're right but... HEY!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Rafaelfc

why not?? meeting people from the internet was an issue in like, 1997 when I was just getting started in IRC channels. Nowadays it's a legitimate way to get to know people and connect. Hell, I got a job through the internet and it has worked out fantastic!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#141  Edited By Video_Game_King

@glyn said:

Several, although I doubt they'd meet up with somebody who would bluntly ask them that.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#142  Edited By apathylad

@Erzs said:

I would, but only if I felt really comfortable with the person. I get pretty awkward around people I've known for years so it'd be a big deal for me meeting someone from online. But as long as they knew that and were okay with it then sure! I don't think I'd go alone though. In fact, whenever I've met someone from online I've had a friend with me. Safety first kids! Wait, that sounds like . . . never mind.

That sounds a bit how I would be.

I already met and

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By falserelic

@Video_Game_King said:

@glyn said:

Several, although I doubt they'd meet up with somebody who would bluntly ask them that.

Yeah I can understand how female users wouldn't feel comfortable about that.....

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By falserelic

@CaLe said:

The last person I met from the online tried to hold my hand within the first 5 minutes of meeting, so no. Some weirdos out there and you must protect your chastity at all costs.

What did you do when he did that?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#145  Edited By swoxx

Hell no, you fuckers are crazy!

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By matt

@Swoxx: Love you <3

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#147  Edited By cornbredx

Yes. 

I have made friends and met many people from online communities and video games. I'm cool with meeting people even if I met them in a game or a forum or a chat room. I've been online a long time and known a lot of people online. It's all good. People are people and what-not, even if I have my fears of them I think it helps anyway =)

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Virago

Yup, met a few GB'ers in real life, even married one :D I wish I could hang out with the IRC crowd of 2008-2010, they're some awesome people.

@Sweep: We wished you could've been there! We'll meet up in England... 2013 some time. We'll make it happen <3

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#149  Edited By s-a-n-JR

HEY GUYZ I'M ORGANISING A MEETUP. I'VE HIRED A HOTEL ROOM. NO CELLPHONES ALLOWED, BUT MUST BRING ROPE AND DUCT TAPE. ALSO, MUST BE OK WITH DISMEMBERMENT AND PROBABLE DEATH. MESSAGE IF INTERESTEDDDD. XOXOXO

*ahem* No but seriously, I wouldn't mind meeting up with GBers...Hey why're you guys backing away?

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By lead_farmer

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I want to meet Vinny. I find him funny as hell.

I think the OP is talking about other users.

Vinny is THE "User"

fixed