Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Illmatic

"He can't retire. Watch that dude come back like Jordan a few years later."
"Hopefully, not as bad."

That was the basic gist of every conversation me, my friends, and classmates had as the news of Jay-Z's The Black Album being his last began to spread. I had been a Jay-Z fan ever since I heard Hard Knocks Life (I hadn't heard any of Reasonable Doubt till my late high school years), and the idea of one of my favorite artists no longer making any music seemed foreign to me. In my world of music, you didn't stop until you died. Hell, not even imprisonment stopped the rapper Shine for the first few years and Kanye rapped "Through The Wire." But it was "official," Jay-Z was moving on to bigger and better prospects in his quest to become the next generation's Diddy in terms of money, fame, and business. I'm not ashamed ot admit it, "Encore" got me a little choked up when I first heard it. I could remember drives home from school with Jay-Z playing through the van's speakers while everyone else who took the vans home sung along to whatever his next single was. "Girls, Girls, Girls," "Song Cry," and "Renegade" just to name a few.

But one video that sticks in my mind to this day during all the hoopla was Jay-Z's "99 Problems." I hadn't heard the song until this video had premiered and I had caught it simply by chance but it's depiction of Brooklyn, the city I grew up in and was currently residing in caught my attention from the moment the camera panned up those subway steps. The black and white tone, the gritty beat, and Jay-Z's signature "freestyle" sounding flow would be the image I thereafter attributed to Jay-Z whenever he came to mind. No one can forget the infamous scene of Jay-Z being gunned down, representing the death of Jay-Z as we knew it and the rebirth not as a business man but a business. Of course, he would come back a few years later, but we didn't know that at the time. So far as we knew, this was it and we had to get it while the getting was good. Sold out seats and concerts, friends bragging about seeing him play for the "last" time, and the plastic that just took way too long to unwrap from the album: these are memories that I won't forget and this video brings back this time in my life quicker than anything else.

So what's your video?
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Illmatic

"He can't retire. Watch that dude come back like Jordan a few years later."
"Hopefully, not as bad."

That was the basic gist of every conversation me, my friends, and classmates had as the news of Jay-Z's The Black Album being his last began to spread. I had been a Jay-Z fan ever since I heard Hard Knocks Life (I hadn't heard any of Reasonable Doubt till my late high school years), and the idea of one of my favorite artists no longer making any music seemed foreign to me. In my world of music, you didn't stop until you died. Hell, not even imprisonment stopped the rapper Shine for the first few years and Kanye rapped "Through The Wire." But it was "official," Jay-Z was moving on to bigger and better prospects in his quest to become the next generation's Diddy in terms of money, fame, and business. I'm not ashamed ot admit it, "Encore" got me a little choked up when I first heard it. I could remember drives home from school with Jay-Z playing through the van's speakers while everyone else who took the vans home sung along to whatever his next single was. "Girls, Girls, Girls," "Song Cry," and "Renegade" just to name a few.

But one video that sticks in my mind to this day during all the hoopla was Jay-Z's "99 Problems." I hadn't heard the song until this video had premiered and I had caught it simply by chance but it's depiction of Brooklyn, the city I grew up in and was currently residing in caught my attention from the moment the camera panned up those subway steps. The black and white tone, the gritty beat, and Jay-Z's signature "freestyle" sounding flow would be the image I thereafter attributed to Jay-Z whenever he came to mind. No one can forget the infamous scene of Jay-Z being gunned down, representing the death of Jay-Z as we knew it and the rebirth not as a business man but a business. Of course, he would come back a few years later, but we didn't know that at the time. So far as we knew, this was it and we had to get it while the getting was good. Sold out seats and concerts, friends bragging about seeing him play for the "last" time, and the plastic that just took way too long to unwrap from the album: these are memories that I won't forget and this video brings back this time in my life quicker than anything else.

So what's your video?
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Commando

It changes as my taste in music changes. Right now it's this one.

But Metallica-One really made me think a lot. Like, "man that would suck to lose your arms, legs, eyesight, and hearing all at once".
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bruce
@Illmatic:

Jay-Z's best video is Dead Presidents. Anyway, here's mine,

That, for introducing me to Interpol.

And that, for being the best concept movie relating to an album since The Wall. LOVE Daft Punk.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Illmatic
@Bruce said:
" @Illmatic:

Jay-Z's best video is Dead Presidents.
Keep in mind, this isn't an explanation of my favorite video but most memorable.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bruce
@Illmatic:

I was just stating my favorite Jay-Z video, probably should have made that clearer, sorry!
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By NickM

November Rain and Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nothing to Fuck Wit

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By damswedon
@Bruce: while i love Something About Us i dislike that part if Interstella 5555. i love Digital Love/ Harder Better Faster Stronger

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Civraz

For me, it's the video for Far Cry by Rush. All the stop motion stuff is really intense, and i'll always remember the first time i saw it, i was like, "O.O"

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

A couple that I've always enjoyed:

"Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden
"Frozen" by Madonna
"Greedy Fly" by Bush
"All I Want" by The Offspring
"Revolution is my Name" by Pantera
"Buddy Holly" by Weezer
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By gingertastic_10

Well this is the song that got me into The Faint. And I don't know why, but I love this odd video.
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Sunjammer

ColinRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ColinRyan

Thriller, nuf said.

Poppycock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Poppycock

Coffee and TV by Blur.

Best video ever
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turbomonkey138

Lol this is clearly the best video ever (note the Sarcasm) Its my First Music video fro College . Its ....REALLY bad

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By EVO

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Azteck

If I remember correctly, it's one of the very first music videos I saw, and actually liked. It's also what got me into that band! And it might have played a role in my fondness of video games, as the whole video looks like a video game.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruce
@EVO:

Oh fuck yes. I loved that song when I was 9
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By EVO
@Bruce said:
" @EVO: Oh fuck yes. I loved that song when I was 9 "
I think I was 9, too. That's why it's so memorable, because I could relate to the kid.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

Most memorable? Well Right Now by KoRn is certaintly a music video thats gonna stick with me much longer than I'd like.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Thriller-Michael Jackson