Youtube now uses Reddit's upvote system. Thoughts?

• 50 results
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@bocam said:

@zero_ said:

Not sure how the ranked system will go, but +yes to the Google+ integration. The internet needs less anonymity to make people more accountable for the bullshit.

Says the person not using his real name on a message board about video games

Heh, slightly different. GB is a fine community and doesn't reach anywhere near the crap that YouTube gets. I wouldn't advocate real identities on here because a) it's not necessary and b) it would have to be mandatory for everyone. No point in half of the people using handles and the other using real names. If GB forced everyone to use real names, I wouldn't hesitate.

@zero_ said:

Not sure how the ranked system will go, but +yes to the Google+ integration. The internet needs less anonymity to make people more accountable for the bullshit.

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. STOP.

Tell that to Russian LGBT/anti-Putin activists, Saudi feminists or Chinese dissidents.

Not the same. You're just pulling the Hitler card. This is YouTube we're talking about, not some political stage. I don't believe Russian LBGTs etc should use their identities if they don't want to, but they're not forced to use YouTube to express their views.

Here's the thing with Facebook/Google+ and real-identity networks: by using your real name, attaching your online activity to who you are, just like it is in the real world, it makes discussions more meaningful, more interesting and more engaging. Sure, that's not going to stop the idiots - and by all means, I think you need to have an equal balance of idiots-to-sane, but right now anonymity skews it too much on the idiotic side.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know why, but it seems with this change the top rated comments are even more stupid. When I was watching the Xbox One video they just put up the top comment was something calling the GB crew fat, negative etc., would never see that before. Also half the time the top comments are just someone with a lot of friends/followers posting off his Google+ with 200 likes saying something completely arbitrary. It's awful.