Will you be early adopter of Windows 10?

• 109 results
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Poll Will you be early adopter of Windows 10? (549 votes)

Jumping in! 72%
Holding off 28%

So windows 10 is about a month away from releasing. I've only recently hopped onto the PC gaming ride and have been with Windows 8.1 from the get go. With Windows 10 looming, I'm worried that if I jump in from the get go I will experience a slew of bugs with games that I play; especially the older ones. I know that past iterations have caused gaming related problems early in their cycle so that is what makes me weary. I'm going to be holding off for a good portion to let others test the waters on this one.

Will you be hopping right into it? How long will you wait until you do? Do you believe the testing period will have made severely lessened the potential for gaming bugs compared to older iterations?

(Side question for me, did earlier iterations have the same sort of testing period that Windows 10 has had?)

• 
amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Already been running it on a tertiary laptop and some virtual machines since they made the preview available. It's a good OS.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Cirdain

I need to use a bunch of 3D programs for my Architecture course so I'm gonna wait a bit for all my programmes to update. So I might install my free upgrade in November. Maybe?

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

From what i know and what i've seen i'm just going to hop on board from win7, seems like a much better system than 8 ever was and has a lot of connectivity with the Xbox One.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been running it as my main OS since the first Tech Preview in October last year.

No application I've used refused to work on the OS, if it works in Windows 8 it'll work in Windows 10.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Have my copy reserved, whatever that means, but I don't know if I'll install it right away. For as much as everyone complains about W8, I enjoy having it on my PC and have grown used to it.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Yep. I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade from 8 for free.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yup. Got mine reserved. Upgrading from 8.1.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Probably - It'll also be a good excuse to get a new computer.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OurSin_360

Depends on if dx12 is supported in most games from the start, otherwise i may hold off. I skipped windows 8 altogether simply because of the interface.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up 8 on release with the cheap upgrade they were offering then, jumping on 10 at release too.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mike

Not upgrading unless there is a clear reason to doing so and all of my devices and games are actually supported. Definitely not upgrading right away, that's for sure. There is just no reason to.

I didn't even upgrade to Windows 8 until about a year ago.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Much like 8 was to 7, it looks like 10 is just a faster version of 8, so yeah probably, seems dumb not to.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Time to upgrade since it is free. Been using windows 7 until now.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have my copy reserved but I'm going to hold off on installing it for a while until they work the kinks out. There's always something weird that doesn't show up until the first few months everyone is using it. I'll let you guys test it out first!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Early OS adoption is for crazy people, why would you put the core of your computer to chance? I have alot of older games that I play occasionally whose play-ability goes right out the window if I even upgrade from 7 to 8, not to mention software. I don't even like updating my Iphone firmware unless I have to.

If you have a spare computer to fuck around with, fine, but I'm not upgrading the OS on my main PC until it dies. Maybe i'll buy a new gaming computer and try 10, but I doubt that I will.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Going to wait and see how it will effect the most important programs that I have, like the Adobe CS6 package.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably give it at least a month (I need to reinstall my OS anyway, and finally get an SSD). At a minimum, it has to support my anti-virus. Fortunately I have both a gaming PC and a cheap laptop that I use for university. The laptop is not getting touched, too much work on it and I depend on it too much for uni to start messing around with the OS.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yup. I used the preview for a few months and liked it but had to go back to 7 because of some academic software I had to use. Now that I'm done school there's no reason not to upgrade.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm going to be upgrading my CPU and motherboard in 2-3 months, so I'll probably just wait until then.

Woodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have already been using Windows 10 for a couple of weeks now and I love it, then again I liked windows 8.1 too. For anyone playing games Windows 10 is a MUST have upgrade, DX12 HYPE.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cloudymusic

I'm getting a free upgrade and from what I hear there are no big compatibility issues, so I don't see any reason not to.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, why not.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 131

User Lists: 34

Windows is crap in definite version imagine newly released.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm wondering what type of preview of 10 Jeff seems to be using as his primary OS (logging into Steam and playing games on). Because the free preview edition I was about to sign up for blatantly said it has a keylogger and goes out of its way to say, "anything you type including pass words WILL be used in our marketing". The way they worded it was like at press conference demo rooms and stuff when showing the media how Surface/Holo/10 stuff like note taking would work they're purposefully using the real notes random beta testers typed in.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll try it out on my gaming PC. After using 7 for so long, as awesome as it is, I'm looking forward to a few new changes.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The set of changes from 8.1 to 10 for gaming purposes are minor compared to the changes from 7 to 8 so if that's keeping you from upgrading I would be too worried personally. 10 has been getting pretty good public testing all around.

A bit different situation if you have job or school considerations.

Whatever you do make sure you back up your data (should be doing that anyways).

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm holding off for a month. Jumping into a new OS seems a bit hasty. There will be bugs and compatibility issues so I'd rather wait a few weeks for them to work out most of the kinks.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kagato: A much better system than 8 ever was? 8 was better than 7 in pretty much every way. The touch stuff was pretty much entirely avoidable. It wasn't a huge improvement or completely necessary but I can't see any situation where 7 is preferred. Looks like 10 will be the same.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't do a huge amount of gaming on my PC so as long as the Adobe programs work, I'll be happy to upgrade from 8.1 for free.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played around with the Preview on my spare PC and liked things a lot so I'll be changing as soon as it's available.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Early adoption" was nearly a year ago with the first preview release. An OS with nearly a year of public testing should be fine at release so I'll be jumping in. Plus I'm still on Win7 and it'll be free.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm holding off for a month. Jumping into a new OS seems a bit hasty. There will be bugs and compatibility issues so I'd rather wait a few weeks for them to work out most of the kinks.

Yep...when Windows 8 first came out, on one of my machines the network card I had at the time wasn't supported and I wasn't even able to connect to the internet until months later when the drivers were finally updated.

For most modern and mainstream machines things like that shouldn't be a problem, but you never know!

Scb360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rachelepithet: could you imagine the shitstorm Microsoft would have to endure if any of that was leaked? I'm sure they're fine, besides its not as I can't change it at a later date on say an iPad?

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teoball

Nah, still using 7 and have no reason to upgrade.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm a sucker for shiny new things. I'll be upgrading straight away.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going from 7 to 8.1 was very smooth, I'll be jumping into 10 ASAP.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThunderSlash

I'll wait a bit. There's bound to be some driver compatibility issues that'll mess with my setup.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

This annoying little icon in the corner says i'm, "in" for the desktop. I gotta figure out how to get a free copy for my laptop, though. I installed the preview copy on that and now i don't know how to claim my free copy.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Holding off for now. I just like Windows 7 too much.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ravelle

I'm a big fan of Windows 8 and 8.1 and never had any issues with it so definitely jumping right in.

@sin4profit I believe it will automatically update to the official W10 free copy when it's time.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't need a good reason to upgrade/update to a new thing. The fact it's new is all I need.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted to just install the preview since it's close to what the final version will be on release

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By amafi

@colourful_hippie: Obviously haven't been using it long, but 10159 seems completely fine, and is probably very close to the final retail.

Also, for people who want to try it out on actual hardware instead of in a VM (for testing game performance etc) without actually messing around with partitioning drives and such you can dual boot 10 from a virtual hard drive, like this:

http://www.nextofwindows.com/native-vhd-boot-to-windows-10-technical-preview-dual-boot-with-windows-7-or-windows-8

Not as straight forward as installing on a physical harddrive, but very manageable if you are at least a tiny bit comfortable with the shell. And once it's all done you just chose the OS from a list like normal.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. I'll be upgrading straight away. My only question is whether I should back up all of my stuff before I upgrade. I never upgraded before so I don't know if I should put everything on a flashdrive before i upgrade.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acura_max: I'd back up anything you can't easily redownload if something was to go wrong. You should do that anyways though. Drives can suffer catastrophic failure and losing important documents, images etc is a pretty terrible thing. There are so many cloud backup and storage services out there now there's really no reason to not have stuff you can't easily replace safely backed up.

I have a NAS running raid 5 with a script that archives my most important stuff to a server I rent in atlanta every time I add something new, but you hardly need to go that far. Just put your stuff on onedrive or whatever. At least important documents like school papers/copies of deeds or legal papers/images you care about preserving, etc. I also back up all my steam saves, but that's just because I need to fill the nas up with something.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll install it day of release on my windows 8.1 laptop, my windows 7 machine is also my main production/gaming rig so I think I'll hold off that one until I get used to it/any wrinkles get ironed out.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I'll see how it goes with my laptop first and if everything looks great, i'll install it on my desktop.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mike

All this talk about Windows 10...eh, I have an extra hard drive. I'm going to clone my 8.1 System SSD over to an empty hard drive and them update that with the Windows 10 Technical Preview to play around with.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little concerned about their updated privacy policy and deep integration with their app store. I might stay on Win7 until it goes EOL, and buy a Win10 licenses later on.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will not upgrade any functioning Windows 7 machine to something else. But writing that, I would probably do Windows 10 if I was doing an entirely new build.