• 69 results
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By xyzygy

This is why disc based games will never die.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@alexw00d said:

@chavtheworld said:

@alexw00d said:

@chavtheworld said:

@nictel said:
No Caption Provided

I know these are averages and there are faster connections available but still if this is the average speed most people aren't in a position where they can easily download 50gb fast.

Hey look! The UK has worse internet than Latvia. That's impressive.

I dunno where they got their figures from, but they're probably not very good. http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/08/07/average-uk-broadband-speed-continues-to-rise/

UK Average is 14.7Mb/s

UK average is 14.7, says UK based company with UK based interests. All the internet in the UK I have used has been god awfully slow. To be honest I don't trust any of these figures because the sample sizes are pathetic. Doesn't speedtest.net aggregate scores? They're the only people with enough data to provide any meaningful results.

Well if we're basing it on our own internet usage then the internet here is always super fast cause I have 80Mb/s download speed... Also I'm not entirely sure I'd refer to Ofcom as a UK based company with UK based interests; they're the communications regulatory board for the country. They stop shitty things like monopolies etc.

Speedtest claims the world average is 15Mb/s, and whilst my connection is better than 90% of the world, it's only better than 87% of the UK, so by that logic, the UK average is a tad higher than 15Mb/s

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

They put the UK down at 28th in the world, with 22Mb/s. Slower than Latvia! Again, I trust about 0% of these numbers.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@alexw00d said:

@chavtheworld said:

@alexw00d said:

@chavtheworld said:

@nictel said:
No Caption Provided

I know these are averages and there are faster connections available but still if this is the average speed most people aren't in a position where they can easily download 50gb fast.

Hey look! The UK has worse internet than Latvia. That's impressive.

I dunno where they got their figures from, but they're probably not very good. http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/08/07/average-uk-broadband-speed-continues-to-rise/

UK Average is 14.7Mb/s

UK average is 14.7, says UK based company with UK based interests. All the internet in the UK I have used has been god awfully slow. To be honest I don't trust any of these figures because the sample sizes are pathetic. Doesn't speedtest.net aggregate scores? They're the only people with enough data to provide any meaningful results.

Well if we're basing it on our own internet usage then the internet here is always super fast cause I have 80Mb/s download speed... Also I'm not entirely sure I'd refer to Ofcom as a UK based company with UK based interests; they're the communications regulatory board for the country. They stop shitty things like monopolies etc.

Speedtest claims the world average is 15Mb/s, and whilst my connection is better than 90% of the world, it's only better than 87% of the UK, so by that logic, the UK average is a tad higher than 15Mb/s

I've lived in 4 places in London and never got close to 15mb. The fastest I ever used was 50mbs and that was only at work where we had a special line put it that cost thousands of pounds. How much does your 80 cost per month?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@leebmx: £26 a month. BT ain't all bad yo.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Man. This is disheartening. I've been trying to go all-digital as much as possible already (got Steam and all consoles games that CAN be downloaded, I do). But here in my relatively smallish town in the midwest my internet is so damn slow. I get 2.5 MBs up on a good day. Last of Us took a day and a half to download. I don't know if all-digital is going to work for me any more.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Yeah I'm sure disks will be all gone in the next 5 years.

Idiots.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No digital future for me yet at 0.5-2mb/s. I doubt 'play as you download' will work very well at that speed.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@alexw00d said:

@leebmx: £26 a month. BT ain't all bad yo.

And is that them telling you that you get 80bms or have you actually tested it. My connection says that it should be 50mbs but when I go to test it at www.speedtest.net I consistently get a reading of around 8 to 9 mbs.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hailinel said:

All hail the all-digital future and the realities of it sucking ass!

Yup. I've never been a digital person anyway.

Outside of some music of course.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get about 90mb down on my fiber connection realistic speeds. While 50gb is big, it's not a deal breaker. I prefer to not have to switch discs so it all depends on the game, whether or not i get it digital or physical.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx: the package is technically 76Mb/s and I get about 73Mb/s from speedtest.net, and I consistently download things at between 8MB/s (Steam) and 10.5MB/s (Origin).

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm used to downloading MMOs so 50gbs is no big deal - also as far as I know most ISPs in my tiny country don't bother with caps unless it's mobile. Also PSN has always been giving out fairly good speeds here.

I'm more concerned about the tiny size of the hard-drives these consoles ship with but I'm assuming you can put in a bigger one; or at least hook up a USB3 drive.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a lot of bytes.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By nights

@shadowskill11 said:

@wemibelec90: if you decide to use an ISP with caps deal with it, buy a disc, or change your ISP.

I don't have any issues with my current ISP (except for the price) or downloading large files, but you act as if everyone has a choice in the matter. I can use either Comcast, or... Comcast. There are no alternatives in my area.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#65  Edited By sammo21

I have 100 Mbps connection right now, fiber straight to my house. Plus no bandwidth limit. I'm definitely ready for the all digital future.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speed has never been a problem with downloading for me but about a year and a half ago my isp started a monthly cap. Right now my cap is 250 gb so if I would download this game that would be a fifth of my monthly use right there. I would love to go all digital but with that cap it's nearly impossible.

RavenousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RavenousJoker

I do not see myself downloading a game of the size onto my PS4.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50 GB is way too big of a file for me to download onto my PS4, games of that size I would prefer owning the physical copy of the game. I only download PSN exclusive games onto the hard drive of my PS3.

Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem I foresee, along with bandwidth caps, is the size of the HDD. At 500GB, It means that I could have theoretically only 10 full games before hitting the cap, and that's an unrealistic scenario that does not take into account save files and the OS files. So when will they make available 2TB PS4s? :P