[RUMOR] New Crash Bandicoot PS4 game?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

From Neogaf, so this is all speculation... but seems like a possibility.

Note: Right now, it's publicly known that Activision owns the Crash Bandicoot rights.

New PS4 trailer released today. At 48 seconds in... there's a street sign.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I would be very excited for this. I don't know why, because I'm not a huge fan of the old games, but I would be excited.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

That sign is weird, but I also think it would be super strange for Activision to reference the old SCE logo at all, let alone in such an obtuse way.

I just don't see Activision as the kind of company where it would be cool to remind you that this property they own is still thought of as a Playstation series (because why would Activision try to activate nostalgia for any brand that is not their own), nor does it sound much like Activision to release something exclusively on the PS4 when they could instead release it on EVERYTHING.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

90's mascots should stay dead and buried.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turboman

@bisonhero: it's a Sony-made ad, not Activision made

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I would be ultra stoked, but I don't think it'll happen. Activision doesn't seem like the company to reboot beloved franchises.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@turboman: Also a game in space might get announced? Uncharted in space?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I wouldn't hate this . I only really loved Crash : Warped , but I could see a new crash game being pretty great .

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: I think it would mean that Sony made a deal with Activision to get Crash back. Sony and Activision seems to be buddies all of the sudden with the Destiny reveals.

Also, what does Activision have to gain by sitting on the Crash license? It wouldn't be out of the question to sell it back to Sony.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@bisonhero: it's a Sony-made ad, not Activision made

Sure, but Activision would still have to sign off on it, and like I said, it would be weird of them to either acknowledge the Playstation-exclusive past of one of their properties (they didn't do that with Spyro, for example), and it would be weird of them to release a PS4 exclusive.

Anyway, the more interesting avenue to me is "Is that orangey diamond an actual traffic sign in some part of the world?" If it just means like "be wary of animals ahead" or "caution", then I'd be more willing to believe it's just a little joke on Sony's part or something, though it still seems dicey for them to use anything related to Crash Bandicoot.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh please let this be true.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be super pumped for it. Just don't let Travellers Tales do it. I'm still burned from The Wrath Of Cortex

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Darji

This event tonight or the rumors of it are just nuts XD

Let me write down what the rumors and hints already are:

Antonio Banderas will be there

Space Game from Naughty Dog People speculate it is Jak and Daxter

Some Huge MGS5 and Destiny annoucnement

PaRappa the Rapper game made by Media Molecule+ Indies

Did I miss anything?^^

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Vextroid

Most if not all the post Naughty Dog Crash games have been absolutely terrible. This rumor just makes me sad more than excited.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

So, basically this:

Loading Video...

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be more excited if Insomniac came back to do a new Spyro game.
Crash is cool too though...

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By davidwitten22

I'm going to go with cautious optimism.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be more excited if Insomniac came back to do a new Spyro game.

Crash is cool too though...

Yeah, I think the problem with that is that Spyro is tied into the cash cow known as Skylanders right now. No reason for Activision to sell the rights of Spyro back to Sony.

Crash is a different story though...

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

@turboman: Ohh I forgot that Skylanders was technically a "Spyro thing". That makes me sad.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sign is weird, but I also think it would be super strange for Activision to reference the old SCE logo at all, let alone in such an obtuse way.

I just don't see Activision as the kind of company where it would be cool to remind you that this property they own is still thought of as a Playstation series (because why would Activision try to activate nostalgia for any brand that is not their own), nor does it sound much like Activision to release something exclusively on the PS4 when they could instead release it on EVERYTHING.

for what its worth, they did have a sale on all the crash and spyro ps1 games not too long ago

which i would imagine wouldnt be possible without activision signing off on it?

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PimblyCharles

buuut PS4 already has a Crash game; it's called Knack

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've always like Crash, so I would so OK to this.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By JJOR64

if Naughty Dog is making it, then I might get a PS4 sooner then later.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BisonHero

@mrfluke said:

@bisonhero said:

for what its worth, they did have a sale on all the crash and spyro ps1 games not too long ago

which i would imagine wouldnt be possible without activision signing off on it?

I'm sure the two companies can talk to each other and cooperate about stuff, but I still can't see Activision approving of a weird viral hint thing that makes people think "Hey guys, Crash Bandicoot, you know, that brand made by SCE" as opposed to "Hey guys, fuckin' Activision owns Crash Bandicoot, don't you forget it". Crash nostalgia isn't nearly as exploitable as Nintendo nostalgia, and I also don't think people ever thought of SCE as some kind of magical Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory because they happened to publish Crash Bandicoot, so I don't even know who this theoretical audience is that sees this weird viral hint thing and gets warm fuzzies and immediately thinks "I should buy a Crash Bandicoot game".

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's possible that Sony has bought the rights to Crash from Activision. But I don't think that's something they'd be after, mascot platformers have proven to be big money these last few years. Having said that I would go mad with nostalgia if this did happen.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

HD Crash Bandicoot 1 would be enough for me.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next gen platforming would be cool and fun and pretty if executed with care. Look at Super Mario 3D World.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would LOVE a new Crash.

I had a thing against Crash Bandicoot when it was new, because I was a Nintendo kid, despite owning a playstaiton in lieu of a N64. Mario 64 was such a juggernaut, it annoyed me when people gave credit to Crash.

Then I played it and it was an EXCEPTIONAL game. Especially Crash 2. It had a really solid grasp on gameplay fundamentals. It's still just as fun to go back and play today. in fact... I just might...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By turboman

What if Naughty Dog is making a Mario Galaxy knockoff with Crash?

No Caption Provided

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new Crash Team Racing / Crash Kart game?!?!

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I'd be super bummed or super excited if Naughty Dog were making a new Crash. It will never happen so I guess I never have to worry about those feelings.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony should just buy the rights to Crash it was a big success for them and Naughty Dog. Activision isn't doing anything with Crash anyways, they are just sitting on an IP they themselves ruined. It doesn't fit with their portfolio and its not something they can annualize so selling it off is the best thing they can do with it.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Jensonb

This rumour is toying with my emotions so hard...I want it to be true so bad my natural skepticism is being dulled. I replayed the trilogy this summer, and those games are still amazingly good. And I mean...Technically Activision owning the IP isn't an insurmountable obstacle, Universal owned it the first time around anyway...Got to stop letting my hopes get up...Expect nothing, Jens, that way you won't be disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Crasht of Us.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the first two Crash games, but after that I lost interest. I don't see it being very good if they make a new one honestly.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

Not yet Kool-Aid Man, not yet. Someday soon though your silky baritone voice, your crazy colored Hawaiian shirts, and your sweet sugary glass of bodily fluids will be accepted in this new era of society. Someday soon my diabetic giving friend, just not yet.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lord_canti

i would like this to be true however i should remind people that this poster was in the vicarious visions office ( the skylander devs ) so keep expectations in check

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems more likely it was more of a nod to Playstation's history than some hidden announcement for a new Crash game. As depressing as it is, Crash doesn't exactly resonate with many gamers these days.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems more likely it was more of a nod to Playstation's history than some hidden announcement for a new Crash game. As depressing as it is, Crash doesn't exactly resonate with many gamers these days.

The reaction to this rumor would suggest otherwise...

I mean, it would definitely fit with Sony's apparently commitment to their PS1 past...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turboman

As depressing as it is, Crash doesn't exactly resonate with many gamers these days.

Go read any review and/or comment section to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Icemo

First 3 Crash Bandicoot games and Crash Team Racing were the only good games in that series. If that new game is like the ps2 era games, then no thank you.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You cannot possibly be including the 7up "Cool Spot" in that generalization.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd bet whoever made that trailer put that in there as a nod that they want Crash to be back with Sony, but didn't think anyone would notice. I wouldn't expect them to tease a product like that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

The last time Crash Bandicoot was both good and relevant was more than a decade ago. Better to leave those memories alone than to once again remind us that the 90s are over.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So last Crash game was 2008? Mind over Mutant, this is activision we are talking about.... so it's safe to say it's as good as dead.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the fuck cares? I played Super Mario 64, then Crash, I was like, what the fuck? This game is so simple. A product of its time and has no place today. You know what it would be like? Knack, makes sense right? Running through a hall and smashing boxes instead of goblins.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

Who the fuck cares? I played Super Mario 64, then Crash, I was like, what the fuck? This game is so simple. A product of its time and has no place today. You know what it would be like? Knack, makes sense right? Running through a hall and smashing boxes instead of goblins.

I tend to agree with this. I actually played the third(?) Crash game recently, and don't think it holds up very well. They would have to do some serious updating for it to be interesting today, I think.