Rare games?

cowman91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Apologies if this is the wrong board.

WIll Rare get to start making games like Banjo-Kazooie and Conkers again?

I'm not entirely sure what sort of role they're playing under Microsoft at the moment, I just miss those types of games and it would give the console a huge boost if some games of that type were released.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My uncle doesn't work at Rare, so I can't help you, sadly.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My uncle work at Rare, but we're not on speaking terms at the moment (he punched my dog), so I can't help you, sadly.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rare is dead, rotting face down in a puddle somewhere. My condolences.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My uncle works at Rare and it turns out that exposing themselves to so much Kinect has sucked their life force away seriously crippling every single one of them.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@extomar: Don't worry that's reversible they just have to say "Xbox Blow". There will be enough life force left for a reasonably sized mole.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Rare is dead. Only a husk remains.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rare is dad or games are barely getting made after Kinect flop

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say the likelihood of getting more games from them is... rare.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cowman91 said:

Apologies if this is the wrong board.

WIll Rare get to start making games like Banjo-Kazooie and Conkers again?

I'm not entirely sure what sort of role they're playing under Microsoft at the moment, I just miss those types of games and it would give the console a huge boost if some games of that type were released.

It is a good enough board just clearly the wrong website ;p.

No one can really answer this question but all evidence indicates Rare is either defunct and no longer exists in any real sense or working on something so secret no one knows anything about it. I am willing to bet it is the "defunct" thing though.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I hope they're there next E3 with a new Viva Pinata.

mattschwabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mattschwabby

All of Rare's games sucked and they sold like shit. Fight me.

jk nuts and bolts was tight

cowman91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cowman91

@mattschwabby said:

All of Rare's games sucked and they sold like shit. Fight me.

jk nuts and bolts was tight

I think nuts and bolts was the only B-K I didn't play

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking back at the history, Microsoft really overpaid for Rareware.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@extomar said:

And grossly mismanaged it. They made the games that they did for Nintendo because Nintendo was constantly looking over their shoulder. Microsoft apparently just assumed that Rare was just as capable of the magic they worked on the SNES and N64 without such supervision.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a lot of people do not know is that the Rare of today is radically different from the Rare of then. Even if they were given the green light on a Conker or Banjo title, that talent has walked away.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@cowman91: it was a great and innovative game! Lots of fun. Couldn't recommend it enough!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind

What a lot of people do not know is that the Rare of today is radically different from the Rare of then. Even if they were given the green light on a Conker or Banjo title, that talent has walked away.

This isn't a little known fact, it's something repeated in almost every Rare discussion that comes up. Now what people actually don't know, is that the same is true of every other major game developer these days too. People have lives, they get older and move on. The same people don't continue to work at companies for decades, you know?

@hailinel said:

@extomar said:

And grossly mismanaged it. They made the games that they did for Nintendo because Nintendo was constantly looking over their shoulder. Microsoft apparently just assumed that Rare was just as capable of the magic they worked on the SNES and N64 without such supervision.

I'd argue that Kameo, Nuts & Bolts and Viva Pinata were just as good as anything they ever put out on the SNES and N64. The only problem was there wasn't an audience for the games.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My uncles that were working at Rare all got fired some months ago.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't the composer for them (Grant Kirkhope, I think his name was) try to get some kind of revival going, but it just kind of fizzled out?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One might call rare a mythical studio.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By impartialgecko

Rare ain't the Rare you think it is son. Those guys flew the coop, ended up in another coop, made Haze, tried to make Battlefront 3 and then got bought by Crytek to make Homefront.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'd argue that Kameo, Nuts & Bolts and Viva Pinata were just as good as anything they ever put out on the SNES and N64. The only problem was there wasn't an audience for the games.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone who made actual video games left Rare, and even some of the Kinect people were just fired after Sports Rivals sold poorly.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EXTomar

@wintersnowblind said:

@drdarkstryfe said:

This isn't a little known fact, it's something repeated in almost every Rare discussion that comes up. Now what people actually don't know, is that the same is true of every other major game developer these days too. People have lives, they get older and move on. The same people don't continue to work at companies for decades, you know?

@hailinel said:

@extomar said:

At least for myself, I don't mean that I think Rare is completely worthless but that if you go back and look at the actual history, Microsoft paid a lot for Rareware and got a handful of games of "good games"and a lot of crap that wasn't. There were a lot of questionable moves as well like that cartoon about Viva Pinata could have been used to make more VP2 content or even a third game by itself.

So Rareware went from making about 100 games in the "pre-modern" eras (I think they even made mega-drive games!) to a dozen in the modern. You will find no one else better than me to object to the "rose tinted nostalgia" but I'm not sure today's Rare Ltd is "better". That maybe more of an indictment about the general industry than this specific segment on how a company has transformed over time from curious to irrelevant.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@drdarkstryfe said:

Didn't the composer for them (Grant Kirkhope, I think his name was) try to get some kind of revival going, but it just kind of fizzled out?

He and a couple of Banjo-Kazooie developers did, but I haven't heard anything about it in over a year. It's probably gone, whatever it was. They had basically built a chunk of an engine for a new Banjo-Kazooie game. They had a demo of it somewhere.

Grant Kirkhope is still definitely around though. He does soundtracks for a lot of smaller scale games. The last large game he did was Kingdom of Amalur. More recently he did some of the music for Desktop Dungeons and a few small EA games.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Aunt works at Rare...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By sweep  Moderator

At this point any decent artists would have jumped ship as soon as they got the mandate for all that bullshit avatar nonsense. The people who made those games have all moved on, so if Microsoft wants a team to start churning out those games again it would have to be from the ground up.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

LOL

Sorry they are dead.

It looks like you might see some weak ass themed conker content in project spark, thats probably it.

At this stage I fear the results of them trying to reboot a game series that rides a very specific comedic train.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Rare is dead, and who gives a fuck? No one who made Conkers or Banjo or DKC even works there anymore.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By notnert427
No Caption Provided

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I liked RC Pro Am more than Goldeneye. To this day I can't figure out why people like Goldeneye.