abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By abendlaender

This is from good ol' Bradford's Tumblr:

Were you serious about playing Myst with Drew? I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that watching you guys puzzle your way through that game would be really fun. VIDEO FEATURE

I’m all for it, he’s not sure it would be fun for people to watch. Convince him!

So, I'm just gonna leave that here. I'm not suggesting sending Drew pictures of your teary-eyed face via a carrier pigeon but I'm also not saying you shouldn't do that.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

sure, why not? Myst can be interesting, get together and carry on some banter , good to go at that point.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By alwaysbebombing

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

OF COURSE I WOULD WATCH.

I'd watch them do anything.

(That came out creepier then originally intended)

Totally just tweeted it to him.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Drew is right about this one you guys. I don't think it would be much fun to watch Brad stumble through a game. Maybe if Drew or Vinny was playing it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ghostiet

Fuck yes.

Although I'd say they should play regular-ass Myst, not some "real" bullshit.

Claudia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely watch this.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By abendlaender

I actually feel bad making this thread cause I don't want people to "harass" Drew but....Brad basically ordered me to do it, right? (I did not ask that question on tumblr, but still)....

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be happy to see Brad play a game that he's enthusiastic about. And I enjoyed the Quick Look, so let's get some more of that. I'm down.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeesus, I dunno. I could seeing that being great or terrible, depending on their attitude. If it'd just be hours of Brad getting frustrated and complaining about it, that would suck, if they kept a laid-back attitude to the whole affair it could be pretty rad.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By abendlaender

Jeesus, I dunno. I could seeing that being great or terrible, depending on their attitude. If it'd just be hours of Brad getting frustrated and complaining about it, that would suck, if they kept a laid-back attitude to the whole affair it could be pretty rad.

Honestly, they just shouldn't be to afraid to use a guide when they're stuck at something and it'll be fine. The Bioforge videos would have probably been much worse without a guide.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

So long as it's not a live feature. The backseat driving demographic would go into apoplectic fits watching anyone play Myst.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

hahah this would absolutely not be fun to watch someone play Myst. That'd be so boring.

And I like Myst by the way.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

uhhhhhhh ...... no, Breaking Brad was made for games like Doom and that was the biggest rival to Myst at that time. And beside I know guys who can beat that game quicker then 19 minutes? Stretching it out for a show would be painful.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Eh.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for it. I'd prefer if they went with an "easier" game like 7th Guest just because Myst can be so damn obtuse, though.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Watching other people try to solve puzzles? eeeeeh, pass

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well I think Drew has a point, and I like Myst a lot.

The problem with a game like Myst is that it requires a lot of mental focus which would be adversely affected probably by trying to be entertaining at the same time.

and you have long pauses of fruitless inactivity which would be infuriating to watch. At least with platformers and such there is always action.

It's a fun game, just probably not one that's real fun to watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ugh anyone but Brad.....please?

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arach666

I would really,really want to see a playthrough of Myst that´s for sure,perhaps with Drew or maybe Vinny playing it though,but with Brad also there,just not manning the controls.

Preferably this new realMyst Masterpiece Edition(or the old realMyst),it translates way better to a video playthrough than the original.

So yes @drewbert,please play some Myst,it´s one of my favourite franchises and I would love to see it,perhaps Riven and Myst IV as well? Those three are the best in the series in my opinion.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By vaiz

@drewbert THE COMMUNITY CALLS UPON YOU, DREW. WILL YOU ANSWER?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I think Drew is right about this one you guys. I don't think it would be much fun to watch Brad stumble through a game. Maybe if Drew or Vinny was playing it.

I think one of them co-piloting would be enough to keep things from bogging down into tedium. Vinny would keep things fun, while Drew could just be helpful. Give him a notebook and we'd be all set.

I've never seen or played Myst, and the quick look got me interested, so hell yes I would watch this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunkulese

It'd be alright as long as he wasn't averse to hints.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be all for it, but if this thread is any indication it's a mixed crowed of yea or nay.

So do it, anyway.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drewbert

Get your notebook and #2 pencil ready, because it's about to get crayz.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love that. More Drew outside of the control room.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I like the idea. They'd need to stay away from FAQs though; I've been watching the BioForge playthrough and walkthroughs being constantly brought up is annoying me.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arach666

@gunslingerpanda said:

I like the idea. They'd need to stay away from FAQs though; I've been watching the BioForge playthrough and walkthroughs being constantly brought up is annoying me.

I agree that they should avoid walkthroughs at least while on the Island(because the island itself is fairly easy to figure out),but when they start doing the ages there are going to be places where they will be stuck for a while that´s for sure(especially a couple in both the Mechanical and the Selenitic ages),so at least in those situations and for the sake of the videos,might as well either get some hints from the chat(if they livestream it) or simply look at the solution,otherwise they will be doing it for months lol.

But since it seems that @drewbert has finished the game before,he will maybe start remembering some stuff so perhaps it won´t be necessary.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for it, but I think there needs to be at least three people playing it.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerpanda said:

To be fair, the fact that you can render the game unwinnable sort of necessitated a FAQ. Vinny could have wandered around for MONTHS as well if he had no direction.

I would love to see this happen, though I know people will be frustrated fast if they play it like they did in the quick look. Just using a walkthrough would be boring, but maybe getting hints when they get stuck or to push them in the right direction could make it fun to watch them figure it out.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By cornbredx

Yes, I would watch that.

Edit: And I've finished Myst at least 4 times haha- but ya I'd watch it.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm. I don't know how fun it would be to watch. To solve the puzzles in Myst (and enjoy the story really) you need to read everything you find, not to mention sit and think sometimes. Those books hold many clues for solving the puzzles, and also understanding what the Myst universe is all about. I am afraid in an effort to keep things moving and keep the videos entertaining, they would speed-read or avoid reading, resulting in much frustration on their part in making progress.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how they would do it, but in my mind's eye I picture Brad as the one with the mouse & keyboard and Drew with one of his trusty notebooks (preferably lined with graph paper), doing most of the heavy lifting of actually solving the puzzles/keeping Brad on track.

That sounds to me like a potentially great way of playing through a puzzle game, especially one like Myst with a lot of static visuals and less room for GB's brand of snark. It would definitely entertain me more than playing Myst myself.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

After watching the Quick Look today, feelings confirmed. It'd probably just be boring. There'd have to be a lot of off topic, interesting discussion I think. But it's not quite like the dungeons in Persona 4 ER though, since the puzzles aren't really busy work, they have to be worked through.

But hey, if they think they can do it, go ahead. I'd expect it to be bad but I've been wrong before.

@crithon said:

uhhhhhhh ...... no, Breaking Brad was made for games like Doom and that was the biggest rival to Myst at that time. And beside I know guys who can beat that game quicker then 19 minutes? Stretching it out for a show would be painful.

Yeah I'm sure he doesn't know all the answers to the puzzles... you know, the whole game. The issue wouldn't be stretching anything out. In fact, the opposite.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myst would be better then them playing more Dark/Demon Souls

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pazy

Yes, all of Myst!

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endurance Run, all the Myst games.

But seriously, it'd depend how they do it, since it could be a bit dull if it's just them wandering around being confused all the time, like how I tend to play them :p

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Insectecutor

I'd watch this, provided you played live with chat for hints/tips like Random PC Game where the chat was only consulted when you were out of ideas.

I gave up on Myst pretty early as a kid because I didn't have the patience and it didn't have the graphics. I guess this is a common experience, so it'd be cool to revisit it and maybe help figure it out.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont think watching someone play myst would be fun, most of the fun of myst is discovering the sfuff. It might be cool if they could some how get the community involved though. And watch the community play myst together. Kind of like what they have been doing for dark souls.

But i would not be opposed to watching someone play them if they were just going to play it anyway, and stream it on twitch, perhaps from home. Wink Wink.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@shagge said:

I'm all for it. I'd prefer if they went with an "easier" game like 7th Guest just because Myst can be so damn obtuse, though.

Pretty much all the puzzles are based on pure logic but you need to be really observant and take a lot of notes. I used to have whole notebooks full of sketches from those games.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TruthTellah

I'm all for it if only to watch chat go mental as Brad randomly flips switches and Drew quietly suggests ways for them to actually make progress.

Breaking Brad's Brain coming soon.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ShaggE

@humanity said:

@shagge said:

Pretty much all the puzzles are based on pure logic but you need to be really observant and take a lot of notes. I used to have whole notebooks full of sketches from those games.

Same here, haha. Thing is, Brad's notorious for missing clues. (not his fault, of course, you're bound to miss some obvious stuff when talkplaying)

With games like T7G, the puzzles are self-contained, so everything you need to know is right in front of you. I think that'd make for a less frustrating watch. At least until he hits the Stauf puzzles...

Meh, really, I'd just be happy to see more of this sort of adventure game period. I want it all to culminate in Vinny playing Phantasmagoria 2. Edit: Ooh! Or Maabus! What do I need to do to get Vinny and Drew to play through Maabus?

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sbaitso

It might be fun to watch, though i'm not entirely sure. Perhaps if Drew brought his note taking skills out so that they don't forget what they were up to every episode it would work.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to watch them complete it. I'd be all over that.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By ajamafalous

Brad has a tendency to try to keep videos moving, and in doing so often skips or misses text and hints. I love Myst, but some of those puzzles can take hours of searching for clues/being stuck. I think it'd be a better experience if Brad just played it on his own, honestly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Brad has a tendency to try to keep videos moving, and in doing so often skips or misses text and hints. I love Myst, but some of those puzzles can take hours of searching for clues/being stuck. I think it'd be a better experience if Brad just played it on his own, honestly.

That's very, very true. I can't recall how many hours my mom and I both lost trying to figure out Myst's puzzles. Many of them are incredibly esoteric and require a lot of note taking. Thankfully, the game's original release came with a full notebook. The game just isn't something that can or should be rushed.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

playing myst is aggravating enough, can't imagine watching someone else stumble through the game

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wjb

I don't think it's a good idea.

Either they'll spend way too much time trying to complete one puzzle, or listen to the chat and ruin the experience.

Jeff has veto powers, right?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ajamafalous said:

That's very, very true. I can't recall how many hours my mom and I both lost trying to figure out Myst's puzzles. Many of them are incredibly esoteric and require a lot of note taking. Thankfully, the game's original release came with a full notebook. The game just isn't something that can or should be rushed.

Yeah, this is the issue. Hell, Brad was skipping like ALL of the dialogue in the Lightning Returns Quick Look just to keep the video moving, and had they not skipped it, it was literally only ~45 seconds of Hope talking in the Ark, and talking to a few Chocobo NPCs who have even less spoken dialogue.

The GB staff knows the cameras are on and that they have to keep things moving, so they have weird aversions to getting stuck and think it makes for a boring video.

I dunno, they made Phantasmagoria work (though they missed like ALL of the optional stuff that explains any of the backstory), and they powered through BioForge, but man, Myst is a whole other beast.

I'm envisioning a dedicated webcam just constantly pointed at their notebook, so we can see the notes they're taking. Which would be cool to see. Also, yeah, for the love of god, if this feature ever existed, just prerecord it. I know GB is big on making everything a livestream except for Quick Looks, but oh god, Myst would have to be prerecorded. If it were live, you'd have to ignore the chat anyways because they'd just try to constantly feed the puzzle solutions to Brad/Drew.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man people would be furious at brad (though he most likely wouldn't be doing anything wrong in his playing)

i'd like to see it personally, but vote nay as i would tire of the vitriol directed at them.