• 198 results
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@baal_sagoth: 25% on the first day means lowest is going to be 33% most likely, but in general if I'm looking at a Roguelike I'll always go back to the FTL value proposition, which is I bought it at launch for 9 bucks and got 120ish hours out of it, so a sale has to be around 5 bucks or so for me to be interested.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By bushpusherr

@mrsensible said:

At least the un-bundled GTAV is back on the Steam Store for now. Also, your argument doesn't hold water because their stupid GTA Buck$$ hold no inherent value for me and likely anyone else. Can you really call these Shark Cards a "value-add" with a straight face?

They're intentionally misrepresenting their game on the front page in the hopes that someone won't be paying attention to the actual price and/or doesn't realize there's no reason to pay for in-game currency in GTAV.

Like I said, it's an unappealing deal, and not one that entices me to buy the game. "Not a deal" is not the same as "shitty deal". 60$ today gets you more then what it got you yesterday. Whether or not the additional items add value for you does not mean they aren't a value-add in general terms. There were options for bundles with other games too, not just the in-game currency.

I think it's fair to say this didn't match people's expectations, but I think that has more to do with people's assumptions and not with Rockstar doing any actual misrepresentation of their game(s).

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For what it's worth, the mobile store advertises the GTA deal using the GTA V art, not just generic GTA.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#54  Edited By Cirdain

Guys is that monster game basically 'Curiosity – What's Inside the Cube?' but less satisfying? In curiosity you could break a tile and that would go and it felt like you contributed. This it's just -10....

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By mike

@bushpusherr: Other games have bundles, the difference here is that Rockstar created this bundle and fudged the price of the game in order to make it appear on the sales list.

Look, this conversation is becoming a bit circular. If anyone wants to really continue talking about this, please go start a topic that can be dedicated to discussing how shitty or not shitty Rockstar is. Make it a poll if you want, but let's get this topic back on track about the Summer Sale in general.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Should I bite the bullet and get Tabletop Simulator? $13.39 seems like a fine price for a game I've been eyeing up for awhile now, though I wouldn't mind if it went down a little more... The sale ends tomorrow apparently though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat homeworld and darkest dungeon hnnng mustn't

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: Traditional Steam Sale wisdom says if it's not part of a Daily Deal, Flash Sale, or if it isn't the final day of the sale, don't buy it. I'm not sure if that still holds true this time around, though.

MrSensible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MrSensible

@bushpusherr said:
@mrsensible said:

At least the un-bundled GTAV is back on the Steam Store for now. Also, your argument doesn't hold water because their stupid GTA Buck$$ hold no inherent value for me and likely anyone else. Can you really call these Shark Cards a "value-add" with a straight face?

They're intentionally misrepresenting their game on the front page in the hopes that someone won't be paying attention to the actual price and/or doesn't realize there's no reason to pay for in-game currency in GTAV.

Like I said, it's an unappealing deal, and not one that entices me to buy the game. "Not a deal" is not the same as "shitty deal". 60$ today gets you more then what it got you yesterday. Whether or not the additional items add value for you does not mean they aren't a value-add in general terms. There were options for bundles with other games too, not just the in-game currency.

I think it's fair to say this didn't match people's expectations, but I think that has more to do with people's assumptions and not with Rockstar doing any actual misrepresentation of their game(s).

Then I guess I should be congratulating Rockstar on their ability to undermine the spirit of a Steam Sale, which usually involves me NOT paying sixty dollars for a two-year-old game. Their idea of this as a GTAV "sale" is a joke and everyone knows it, regardless of their flimsy justifications.

Maybe we were assuming too much, but Rockstar is intentionally capitalizing on those assumptions to the benefit of no-one but themselves. Caveat emptor I guess.

@mb: Okay okay I'll shut up now.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupies! my money!

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it's worth, GTAV is discounted from the same price ($79.99) to the same discounted price ($59.99) on XBL for "Games with Gold" this week, so I don't think it's just something Rockstar did to show up as discounted on the Steam store.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Bundle/1/8ac9295d-b112-4d8c-bcaa-c9d5209f8c66

Anyway, Sid Meier's Pirates! is $2.50. Get that shit.

1999's best game, and one of the best games ever made with some of the best 2D animation in gaming, Worms Armageddon, is under $4. Get that shit, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mb: Yeah, I'm just really not sure what's going on with it. It was on sale before the summer sale started and is supposed to run until tomorrow, though I noticed today the price was slashed about $2 lower than it was yesterday. I can't tell if that it means it's a flash a sale or what. (The timer thing still says it ends tomorrow)

I'll probably just get it anyway since I have a friend who will probably buy it too. If it does end up coming back on sale I won't mind unless the price is significantly lower than what I paid, and in that case I may even be able to use the Steam refund thingy.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: Yeah just get it. Valve did say that using the refund system in the event of a gaming going on deeper discount wasn't considered to be an abuse. So as long as you stay under two hours played, you'll be able to do that.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Now that I own a PC that can play the more spec-demanding games, the prospect of a steam sale is a lot more scary. I'm already looking at games like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2 and thinking it'd be nice to see them in their Ultra settings. Might even get AC Unity.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Hah, the only things I was really looking forward to was Homeworld and that happened on the first day. Steam sale over!

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Now that I own a PC that can play the more spec-demanding games, the prospect of a steam sale is a lot more scary. I'm already looking at games like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 2 and thinking it'd be nice to see them in their Ultra settings. Might even get AC Unity.

it's a dark rabbit hole man. Soon you'll be piling up games that you won't have time to get to until your 80 and hitting on old ladies in a retirement community.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ThunderSlash

All these games on sale and all I want to do is try out that Monster meta game.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Cagliostro88

Got Homeworld so far. Interested in Darkest Dungeon but no more early access for me, after being burned.

Also wow Rockstar

And i just saw Massive Chalice is down 33%; that game came out 10 days ago! I guess if i were someone who owned it i would be a little pissed if i played just over 2 hours of it

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This monster game sucks, by the way. You just let it run. It's just some dudes standing still in front of you, and you can click them to cause a minute amount of damage, or let your 'auto-cannon' (read: automatically damage them one time per second) for a slightly less-miniscule amount of damage. Sometimes you start taking damage and you die. Then you respawn. There appears to be no limit or repercussion for death and respawning. Periodically you get points with which to buy more damage to be done per second or per click. The gameplay consists of choosing one of three "lanes", in which you do not move around or anything, and then you wait until the guys there die. I don't really understand what this is or why it exists.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Can you buy hats for your monster though? This is important.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb said:

@kcin: Can you buy hats for your monster though? This is important.

As far as I can tell, not only can you NOT buy hats for your monster, but YOU YOURSELF ARE NOT EVEN A MONSTER !!!!!!!

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Well this is bullshit I want a refund for the time I spent considering whether or not to click "play now"

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By conmulligan

@kcin said:

I don't really understand what this is or why it exists.

It's a dumb social experiment, like most of Valve's sales gimmicks. I assume they're getting some valuable data out of it since they keep making this shit.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan said:

@kcin said:

I don't really understand what this is or why it exists.

It's a dumb social experiment, like most of Valve's sales gimmicks. I assume they're getting some valuable data out of it since they keep making this shit.

That's the question, though: what is the experiment? The best I can guess is that it's some kind of stress test.

caseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Welp I guess I own the Homeworld collection now. Dangit.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#77  Edited By BeachThunder

Can someone explain how you level up in the Monster game? I don't think I'm fully understanding this game...

Edit: Also, I've bought several things already...yet, it is saying "You have not purchased anything on the store since the sale began." :|

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I can't even get the weird monster game to play. I always get an error message.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cornbredx

@kcin: It's a clicker game, like cookie clicker.

My problem with it is it lacks the depth of cookie clicker or other games like that. What makes minimalist games like this work is experimentation, and the feeling of wonder/curiosity as your factory gets bigger, what things look like, and what crazy thing can you do to automate the system next. While I can make tons of gold in this (I made over a million today so far) and upgrade my stats quite easily the only visible difference is how big my hits are (a number).

I prefer to just update the auto fire because the clicking part of the game is less interesting in these kinds of games in general. They're designed to want to move past the actual mechanic of clicking the item and find crazy ways to automate it. This one is even less fun because the upgrades aren't fun and I don't feel that same draw of experimentation that Cookie Clicker has.

Fundamentally there is just nothing to look forward to in the game beyond games that I don't want being unlocked for flash sales or whatever. So, I have it basically set up to automate and I just go back to it every few hours so I can spend the gold I earned.

@beachthunder: You make gold every time a monster is defeated. Clicking the monster does x amount of damage to it. You can (and should) set it up so you auto fire every second. You only need enough gold in order to buy a new upgrade. Ignore the skills at the bottom, those are really for later in the day when you have a large stock pile or just feel like using one I guess- they're limited time buffs. Also, I believe the game resets every morning.

To be honest in this games particular case it's more fun to just go for automation right away. Upgrade your health when you can (although you don't need to do it a lot because you get healed often). You do still need to upgrade that, but it's one of the few things you don't need to worry about too much. That's my opinion, though. I'm sure other people have different strategies they go for. I prefer to focus on the auto fire and buff for auto fire- a little sprinkling of elemental damage upgrades every once in a while.

It's mainly a game about automation- making the game play itself is usually the goal in these games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@beachthunder: The monster game goes for 24 hours. If you've done damage to any of the monsters, you're "in it" for that 24 hour period of time. I think you need a skill point in the auto-cannon to keep doing damage to the monsters, but that's beside the point. Every time a monster is killed, you gain coins. I think the leveling comes from a shared pool of monsters killed, and is not based on an individual performance, though it might be effected by how early or late you join the game. Don't quote me on that, because I still think it would be shared experience.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: @sparky_buzzsaw: The level ups just happen every time all the monsters are wiped. There's a "boss" every 10 levels that has an obscene amount of health. Everyone levels at the same time, so it's more of a "1-1" type of level than an EXP one.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead said:

I can't even get the weird monster game to play. I always get an error message.

Me either.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing yet for me...standing firm.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA has been as low as $40 almost every week since release on Green Man Gaming. You don't get the fancy Steam DRM on top of Social Club DRM, which I guess some people want. Rockstar did the bundle so that people can't refund it. The DLC (shark card) is used as soon as you register with Social Club, making you unable to refund only part of the bundle. They could still do a sale on the game, maybe. Even 10% off while throwing in a shark card would let them still be dirty about the bundle while offering something, as the game can be purchased for $48 elsewhere. They have no reason to put the game on sale. It's still selling like crazy. Still dickish to put the sale only on the bundle. Whatever though.

Anyway... So far I'm in for $18 on day 1. I grabbed Metro Redux bundle for $10 and Drox Operative for $8. Drox wasn't a daily or flash sale, but I remember liking the demo a lot, so 60% off seemed fair. I'm thinking about Homeworld and Ziggurat, but they're not top priorities. I'm trying not to go much over $20/day.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I always have mixed feelings when I see a good deal, put in the cart, and then Steam says "You already own everything in this package"... yay! .. I guess.

(so far I've purchased D4, Enslaved, Custom Quest 2 and Fract OSC in this sale).

Unrelated, I have an extra copy of Tomb Raider: Underworld in my inventory, if anyone's interested message me your email address.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up the original XCOM 1 and 2, along with Poker Night 2 for my laptop.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By BisonHero

Is this the first time they've finally phased out community choice sales?

Also, as someone who owns XCOM:EU but not Enemy Within, am I correctly reading the store that buying Enemy Within is more expensive than just buying the XCOM:EU bundle that comes with the base game and all the DLC? Baffling.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just picked up Black Mesa and MetroRedux for $25 combined. Nothing amazing, but good enough to justify my purchase! Lol

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, as someone who owns XCOM:EU but not Enemy Within, am I correctly reading the store that buying Enemy Within is more expensive than just buying the XCOM:EU bundle that comes with the base game and all the DLC? Baffling.

I noticed that too. Assuming it's not a mistake, the only thing I can think of is that 2k is trying to encourage people to buy the pack with the game in it so they can pad their game sales numbers? Even though, of course, those extra copies aren't gifted...they technically won't be lying when they say they sold those copies.

I know, tinfoil hats and all that, but it's the only explanation I can think of if it's not a mistake.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90  Edited By rachelepithet

Did they change the wording of the truly good deals this year? Hard to tell whats part of the special daily/flash/community sale and whats just general.

Also really disappointed that $15 is as cheap as Xcom Within is going to go. Feels like that was how much it always cost when not on sale.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: "We sold all of these copies of XCOM and the expansion! And then those copies ceased to exist because Steam is weird!" Yeah, them padding their "number of copies sold" on their investor call is also the only thing I could come up with, but that still seems crazy.

I swear we should be able to make a complaint with the FTC when Steam doesn't give you extra gift copies when you already own parts of a bundle.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Valkyria Chronicles was a good deal. Apart from that i haven't seen much interesting yet. Maybe i'm just spoiled by the steam sales from 2011-ish, where the sales would get extremely deep.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm not the only one that thinks what they did with GTA V is gross right?

Nope your not. First thing i looked at, and honestly made me not want to get GTA V at all. I've skipped it this long, might as well skip it entirely

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ripelivejam

I pity the steam staff having to deal with the most likely torrential flood of returns during (and probably after) this sale.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the version of San Andreas for sale even the real PC version from '05 or is it the android version that was ported to PS3/360/PC/Ipad?

Thought I heard something about people who bought the steam, or maybe PS2 classics versions of the game, then redownloading them gets only the android replacement.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 chaser324  Moderator

@mb said:
@bisonhero said:

I noticed that too. Assuming it's not a mistake, the only thing I can think of is that 2k is trying to encourage people to buy the pack with the game in it so they can pad their game sales numbers? Even though, of course, those extra copies aren't gifted...they technically won't be lying when they say they sold those copies.

I know, tinfoil hats and all that, but it's the only explanation I can think of if it's not a mistake.

They've done that in the past with the XCOM games. I specifically remember getting Enemy Within in a bundle with The Bureau in a previous sale because it was cheaper than just buying EW.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently they are now paying YOU to buy the worst games ever.

You can't beat -175%
You can't beat -175%

It was funny the first 100 times I saw it on Reddit.

No offense, it's always someone else's first time of seeing it.

I'm going to create a plug-in that filters every repeat of a thing you've seen, be it image or thread, and I will be hailed as a God among men.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By rachelepithet
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Jesus, Steam, make up your mind. Are the Oddworld games a flash sale, daily sale, or weekly sale?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got Valkyria Chronicles for £3.74. Bought it for the style alone.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By bceagles128

Picked up Xcom with all the DLC. Gotta get around to playing that before XCom 2 but I have a busy couple months coming up.

Also, yeah, that GTA shit is deceptive and gross.