TW3 - One of the best scenes in any game to date? (Spoilers)

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

It's not often that games stick with me. But 3 days later, I still can't get this scene out of my head. It's so masterfully done, the way the camera cuts and pans, the swell of the music, the flashback at the end.

I can't even imagine how he must have felt. To brave battlefields, cross 3 continents. bow to his enemies and watch his friends be tortured. To kill so many men, most of which were bad, true, but not all of them. All for her. After all of those trials and sacrifices, to finally find her... then find her like that... the way he collapses on the bed...

I don't know. Maybe I'm overthinking it. But I certainly can't deny that this game just got it's grip on me and won't let go.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Sterling

You should read the books.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Eh, it was okay. I found it kinda cheesy. It also didn't help that I knew she was going to be alive anyways, considering her importance in the story.

The battle for Kaer Morhen, hands down, has got to be the best scene in the entire series. That shit was mint.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I loved it, not for the same reasons, but yeah. It was great.

vsharres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vsharres

For me the strongest moment in the game was the Bloody Baron quest. Specially when he is burying his undead child. That whole quest is probably the most well written quest of any quest I ever played in an RPG

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

You should read the books.

I did. When they came out. Bad translations and all. Can't compare.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Looking at this thread title, I thought "W3 - One of the best scenes in any game to date? (Spoilers)" was "Warcraft 3 - One of the best scenes in any game to date? (Spoilers)".

To which my response was "Not fucking likely."

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Really? I didn't think the main story had much emotional punch to it at all. The best part of that game is wandering around doing side quests and playing Gwent with peasants.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@enigma777: You either need to rename the thread or get this thread moved to the Witcher 3 forum. At present it is not at all clear what game (with apparent spoilers) is being spoken about until to click into the thread.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Like many cutscenes in the game (particularly the sex scenes *shudders*), I think they just overdo it with, for want of a better word, the "flair." I just think that there was one too many cuts and the flashback was a bit much.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: unfortunately I can't do either because editing puts it over the 60-character limit and whenever I search for the Witcher 3 forum, nothing comes up. If one of the mods can help...

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm with you. That scene had me panicking thinking I had fucked up my play through and then I was mostly speechless. I don't know if it was the best scene in the game or any game(probably not) but it was fucking great either way.

I think it helped that I got so into the idea of wanting to see what would play out when Geralt meets Ciri for the first time in so long. The fact it took over 80 hours to reach that point as well, the game took its fucking time with it and the payoff was great. I think the reunion between Ciri and everyone else at Kaer Morhen was also a pretty nicely done.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was weak, and quite cheesy IMO

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hm. Just ruined the ending of Witcher 3 and I don't think I care. Huh...

Well, the story wasn't really why I was coming to it, anyway.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poobumbutt: That isn't the ending. That happens in the second act.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you edit the title? Since this only says W3 (which has been the abbreviation for Warcraft 3 for a decade) and isnt attached to the Witcher game forum it's a pretty misleading title and doesn't really adequately help people trying to avoid Witcher spoilees

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#18  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Loved that image of him standing in the door. Good scene.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: Mind moving this to the Witcher 3 forum for me. Everytime I try to edit it, the search for forum box turns no results and I don't want to spoil the game for people who have yet to play it.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: *Dan voice* Whaaaaaat?

I don't know what to say. That's pretty weird, I guess. Probably just because I have no context, though.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to say. That's pretty weird, I guess. Probably just because I have no context, though.

To be fair, it does give the whole "HEY YOU SHOULD SAVE YOUR GAME BECAUSE THERE'S NO COMING BACK" message before you get to this part, so I was equally surprised to see that the game goes on another fucking 70 hours.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sterling
@n7 said:
@poobumbutt said:

To be fair, it does give the whole "HEY YOU SHOULD SAVE YOUR GAME BECAUSE THERE'S NO COMING BACK" message before you get to this part, so I was equally surprised to see that the game goes on another fucking 70 hours.

Because that is how CDRP rolls baby. 70 hours per Act. Three acts. Deal with it. Oh you thought the game was over, nah son. That is just the start of act two. You better ask for some more peanuts, its going to be a long ride.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:
@n7 said:
@poobumbutt said:

Because that is how CDRP rolls baby. 70 hours per Act. Three acts. Deal with it. Oh you thought the game was over, nah son. That is just the start of act two. You better ask for some more peanuts, its going to be a long ride.

It isn't the end of the game, sure, but it's not nearly 70 hours of story left, to be clear... Also, the game doesn't even take 210 hours to do everything (minus the random events since I'm not sure how many of those there are), so it's also not 70 hours per act.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:
@sterling said:
@n7 said:
@poobumbutt said:

It isn't the end of the game, sure, but it's not nearly 70 hours of story left, to be clear... Also, the game doesn't even take 210 hours to do everything (minus the random events since I'm not sure how many of those there are), so it's also not 70 hours per act.

hy·per·bo·le: (hīˈpərbəlē)/noun

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely agree. It was one of the strongest scenes in game. It's the music that did it for me and to a lesser degree how Geralt was afraid of opening the door. The framing of cutscene was superb. Sure it is a bit cheesy but it was effective. It is a rare occasion when a game scene affects me emotionaly.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. This and Kaer Morhen were two of the best scenes in the game. Seeing him so vulnerable and broken in that moment was just too much. Obviously the player knows that she will be alive because otherwise the game just kinda ends, but if you remove yourself from your outside knowledge and put yourself in that moment, it's pretty powerful. In my opinion at least, but I'm also really into the characters/world so it's easier to get emotions from me.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@enigma777: We are having some trouble moving topics at the moment. As soon as I can, I will.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

There were a lot of scenes throughout the game that I could call the "best scene" if they were present in another game. The interactions between characters were so well done. Nevermind trying to decide "best moment" from the rest of the games that came out this year. I'd struggle just picking my favourite Witcher 3 moment.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really liked the "tantrum" scene, really well done.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe423: In the lab? Yeah, it was perfect. It almost felt like a stylish intro to a musical number. As if the Stomp cast were to enter the scene at any moment.

But I also loved the scene OP mentioned. It is a tiny bit cheesy (especially the music) but very effective at making me sob as well. Quite an achievement as I started the scene grinning at the whole Snow White parody angle.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:
@sterling said:
@n7 said:
@poobumbutt said:

hy·per·bo·le: (hīˈpərbəlē)/noun

1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

OshKosh B'Gosh!?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best scene is where they get drunk at Kaer Morhen. This is a job... for Vesemir!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NTM

@enigma777: I suppose it could have been hyperbolic. I didn't read it like that though. I've seen too many people talk about how long it is, and it is long, but not life stealing long kind of thing. Plus, I don't know the person and how they talk. For all I know, this is how they could normally type; I've seen it before. Alright though, got it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sterling

@enigma777: No child left behind. Overalls for them all.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Battle for Kaer Morhen was great. That shit was mad tense.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After finishing the game, I gotta say the last 3rd of the game is just incredibly strong overall, and most of the endings are awesome, but this scene is still the best by far.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The flashback sequence in this is like a carbon copy of the ending in Vagrant Story.

Obviously the drunk bit was the best but hard to find a favorite amongst a whole mass of excellence.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vsharres: yes! I literally cried a little when he buried her.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea im with you on this, when he first found her, i was like "aw fuck did i make a wrong move in the story??" i really like Ciri so i was surprised to see the state you meet her in.

and just the way Geralt animates and how it just shows for a man who had his emotions muted, that hes seriously grieving, really drove home a ominous feeling. then when she comes back to life and hugs him, i pretty much was just smiling throughout that moment,

More than most games, the way the acting and the character animations and the way the cut scenes are directed really make the story beats in this game very impactful, Geralt and Ciris father-daughter moments throughout that last arc of the game, is easily some of my favorite stuff in the entire game, its really well done and drives home that those 2 characters really have a father-daughter like bond.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rethla

I mean its not better than the scene when Meryl gets shot by Sniper Wolf but as far as the Witcher series go its up there.

My favourite was when Geralt and Yennefer brought back that poor sod to life through necromancy. He told them the story of how he was the misunderstood hero all along and about his brutal fate to die remembered as a coward without even a name. That whole questline was awesome.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CheapPoison

I love the witcher.

But, I don't like that scene at all.

Funny thing is in my playthrough I even messed up and skipped that scene. I liked the moment better without that scene. Just raises more questions.
That being said, like the rest of the game the animation drives the emotions home very well.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Eh, it was okay. I found it kinda cheesy. It also didn't help that I knew she was going to be alive anyways, considering her importance in the story.

The battle for Kaer Morhen, hands down, has got to be the best scene in the entire series. That shit was mint.

True that! That battle scene was just epic! Always got a save on that point just play it over and over again! haha

Loading Video...