flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By flasaltine

• Gave Faith the money
  • Let the elevator door slam or Beast's face (me and 5.7% of people o:)
  • Went to Toad's first
  • Didn't prevent Lawrence's death
  • Suspected the pimp
  • Arrested the Tweedle Dee.

I almost shat my pants at the end of the game D:

The art style of the game is absolutely beautiful (with the obvious exception of some low resolution textures and aliasing). I really dislike the premise behind the game though (by extension the comics, I suppose); I tried to go in blind, so I didn't really look into the source material. I appreciate what they're getting at with the theme, but I thought it wouldn't be so literal - I groaned when I first saw an anthropomorphic toad...

What? The premise is pretty cool and very original. And Toad is awesome. His little kid is cool too. I actually felt pretty bad when I saw him crying. Poor little thing.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#52  Edited By StarvingGamer

@chaser324 said:

@gike987: Yeah, I haven't read Fables, but I think the way it works is that the fable characters are empowered by the popularity of their stories among the "mundies". If they're popular enough, I guess maybe it can actually bring them back from the dead.

Yeah, you're exactly right. At one point in the comic books, Rose Red (Sister of Snow White) flips out on her, yelling about how everyone remembers Snow White and nobody remembers Rose Red. So Snow will get to live forever and be young and pretty and Rose Red will drift off into oblivion.

It's a really interesting concept, but I'm pretty sure it was *borrowed* from Niel Gaiman's Sandman books and the way they deal with gods.

Or from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@beachthunder said:

• Gave Faith the money
  • Let the elevator door slam or Beast's face (me and 5.7% of people o:)
  • Went to Toad's first
  • Suspected the pimp

I almost shat my pants at the end of the game D:

The art style of the game is absolutely beautiful (with the obvious exception of some low resolution textures and aliasing). I really dislike the premise behind the game though (by extension the comics, I suppose); I tried to go in blind, so I didn't really look into the source material. I appreciate what they're getting at with the theme, but I thought it wouldn't be so literal - I groaned when I first saw an anthropomorphic toad...

What? The premise is pretty cool and very original. And Toad is awesome. His little kid is cool too. I actually felt pretty bad when I saw him crying. Poor little thing.

I was expecting things to be more down-to-earth and less fantastical. But still, Telltale seem to be doing a good job with what they've been given.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Milkman

@chaser324: @pezen: I did screw one of my responses and he was able talk himself out of one lie so that's probably what caused it.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By development
@steelerzfan101 said:
@papercut said:

So did anyone notice the tattoo on the pimps chest for the next episode? It says 'Kiss the Girl' and my current crazy theory is that the pimp is Sebastian from The Little Mermaid. WHO'S WITH ME?

Holy shit, I literally thought the same thing!

That would be awesome.

Also, I didn't know this was based off of a comic. That kinda bums me out, because now it'll be like Game of Thrones, where every thread on the internet holds a fairly strong chance of people spoiling shit. The fact that it's a prequel doesn't lessen that worry a whole lot; people are quick to compare a work's current state with wherever in the timeline the full fiction is. I'm sure I'll accidentally read about at least a few characters who "can't die yet, because they're alive in the comics" before the series is done.

Also also, does anyone else think the dude they bump into in the hallway right before they find Faith's head is going to end up being closely tied to the murders? There doesn't seem to be much other reason for them to bump into the dude from a literary perspective. Also also also, when Faith is walking away in the very beginning, you can see a very prominent street sign with the name of the street being "King" and there's a character ("something King"; forgot his first name) that they mention offhandedly. It's possible the developers were trying to be a bit too cute with these two situations... or they could be entirely inconsequential.

edit: I meant Faith's head, not Snow's.

vesko9511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By vesko9511

@papercut said:

So did anyone notice the tattoo on the pimps chest for the next episode? It says 'Kiss the Girl' and my current crazy theory is that the pimp is Sebastian from The Little Mermaid. WHO'S WITH ME?

So if he is Sebastian(The Crab), if he is the killer, then probably he chopped the heads off with his claws and that's why the cut looks so strange.

PrimalHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@papercut said:

Wouldn't he be georgie porgie?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ghostiet

• Gave Faith money.
  • Promised Beauty I won't tell, then told Beast the truth.
  • Went to Lawrence first, prevented his death.
  • Got the info out of Toad by calling out his shit.
  • Named the Tweedle brothers as suspects.
  • Didn't rip Grendel's arm off.
  • Arrested Dee.

Game is hella dope and it's probably the most striking game visually this year outside of Remember Me. It looks like a comic book from the '80s.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Gave Faith money.
  • Let the lift door slam on Beast.
  • Went to Toad first, Lawrence died.
  • Named The Woodsman as prime suspect (by accident).
  • Arrested The Woodsman.

This game is just rad.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@steelerzfan101 said:
@papercut said:

Wouldn't he be georgie porgie?

Oh right. That makes more sense... Laurence mentioned a Georgie in my second playthrough.

Still like my idea though,

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Didn't give Faith the money
  • Stayed silent with Beauty then told Beast.
  • Went to Laurence's first, he lived.
  • Named 'The Pimp' as my suspect
  • Arrested Tweedle.

I really enjoyed TWD but wasn't expecting this to be in the same league with season two of TWD coming out soon. I'm glad that I was wrong about that, not only does the story have me hooked after the first episode but it looks better than TWD.

It might just be the city setting but the animation of the characters and backgrounds look much better, far more detail in the scenery.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next episode.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By jimipeppr

@development said:

Also also, does anyone else think the dude they bump into in the hallway right before they find Faith's head is going to end up being closely tied to the murders? There doesn't seem to be much other reason for them to bump into the dude from a literary perspective.

I figured it was there to reinforce the "we need to go outside because these walls are paper thin" sentiment... and show Snow acting uncomfortably like she didn't just see a disembodied head on the front steps.

As for my thoughts, I dig the game. I love the way mysteries make you think and the format of this game really plays that up: like choosing what questions to ask in certain situations and knowing when to back off. It's a very compelling role-playing thing for me. Also, pretty colors.

Right now I'm thinking that there is some people-duplicating sorcery going on and Faith and Snow aren't actually dead. Just a thought, with my only supporting point being the Magic Mirror saying that there is powerful magic concealing the whereabouts of Faith (which is different from being dead, as it was able to show Lawrence's father). That obviously doesn't answer all of the questions that are raised, but it's something for me to be self-satisfied about if I'm right lol.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By spraynardtatum

One thing I just realized after playing through the last chapter of the episode is the situation with the cigarette machine. I gave Faith some money in the beginning of the story and that meant that I didn't have any money throughout the rest of the episode. If I would have kept the money, I probably would have had money to buy a pack of cigs.

It's probably a minor decision but I wonder what kind of effect it would have had on the story if it went that way.

I didn't give Faith the money and I still wasn't able to use the cigarette machine; however, I was able to pay for my drink after I beat the shit out of that one guy in the bar. Pretty satisfying.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@steelerzfan101 said:

One thing I just realized after playing through the last chapter of the episode is the situation with the cigarette machine. I gave Faith some money in the beginning of the story and that meant that I didn't have any money throughout the rest of the episode. If I would have kept the money, I probably would have had money to buy a pack of cigs.

It's probably a minor decision but I wonder what kind of effect it would have had on the story if it went that way.

I didn't give Faith the money and I still wasn't able to use the cigarette machine; however, I was able to pay for my drink after I beat the shit out of that one guy in the bar. Pretty satisfying.

I felt kind of dumb at that point because I didn't realize that giving the money to Faith would not allow me to pay for the drink. So, after I was just a total badass and beat the shit out of this guy, I walk up to the bar and reach into my pocket and Bigby is just like "...shit." Suddenly, I didn't feel so cool.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: I didn't want to give Faith the money at the beginning because I didn't want her to get the wrong idea. I regretted it when I saw that she died and all the way up until the bar fight because I thought I could have been nicer.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By cornbredx

It reminds me a lot of Once Upon a Time. In theme more than plot, of course. I find it interesting that it's called fables but there are no fables characters in it. Like... from Aesop who wrote fables. Most of them so far are fairy tales, Grimm, and other Germanic tales thus far. With some English literature as well, which is interesting. The Wind and the Willows being part of this was quite mind blowing for example as I wouldn't really call that a fable although I guess it counts because it was written with a moral in mind.

Anyway, ya I like the writing for this. It's better than Once upon a time, in my opinion- which can sometimes be infuriating how wrong the characters can be on that show.

Gave Faith all my money, so I couldn't pay for my drink later (felt bad I couldn't pay for my drink).

Lied to Beast, cus I said I would and I don't really care. That little plot point is currently pointless but I would assume a set up for later... Waste of a plot point right now if you ask me.

Went to Toad's first. It's interesting, Telltale has done a ton to make it so choices aren't influenced by the game but they still mess some things up. I suspect most people went to Toad's first because we have the indication that Toad is in immediate danger and have no clue if Lawrence is even still alive. It's not even that I like Toad, I know that story and he's a prick, but his kid was a concern for me. I didn't hit him, either.

Didn't Prevent Lawrence's death. This goes back to the last one, really, as you have no clue that hes even still alive or if hes in danger. I suspect that's why most people didn't do this.

I have no suspects. There is no clear indicator of a suspect yet. Still to early to tell. Snow thinks its Blue Beard, but that's to on the nose for Noir mystery stories. It's not Blue Beard you guys. It's not the Woodsman either.

Arrested Tweedle Dee. Cus hes an ass. I don't think hes immediately involved although this will be useful as I am curious what his interest in the case is. And hes a prick for knocking me out and kicking my ribs in.

I walked away from Grendel. I only defended myself. It wouldn't have been necessary to hurt him more. Grendels a prick, but he's more than tolerable.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn you game! you kill all the pretty girls!wtf

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be the prettiest game I've ever seen. I played on PC and was just blown away by the art style. This game is visually amazing and I think arguably the best looking game of the year.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Grixxel

• Gave Faith the money
  • Lied to Beast about Beauty. A man stay's true to his word, right?
  • Went to Toad's first (but I kinda wish I went to Lawrence's after the fact)
  • I thought it was the woodsman. But now I am slowly realizing that this probably isn't the case.

That ending surprised the hell out of me though! I was not expecting Snow to die, and I liked her too! It kinda sucks that she died. I also wish that I got the last fable too. I didn't get the last achievement for episode one. I wonder who I had to talk to or meet. I am suspecting I would have met someone new if I called up to the second floor window when I was investigating Toad's apartment. That mysterious figure was probably it.

Your allowed to do a second play-through right?

I was planning on having Bigby redeem himself through my first play through ... until I saw Snow's head. Now everyone is going to get fucked until he finds out who did it. As for the person in the second floor apartment, I believe it is one of the fat guys, forgot their names. At least on my playthrough it looked like it was one of em.

I just gotta say ... Walking Dead ain't got shit on this game, even if without it we would never have this one. :D

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the first episode. More so then TWD. Its always nice to be surprised. If someone told me about the game Id prob think it was complete shit Ripping content from fairy tales, and setting it in a gritty detective story sounds kinda awful. I was a little worried when they started using terms like glamour (really hate that word for some reason) before the game even started, but everything was top notch!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be the prettiest game I've ever seen. I played on PC and was just blown away by the art style. This game is visually amazing and I think arguably the best looking game of the year.

Absolutely. Shame that the technical side of the graphics is pretty crappy though =(

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By nicktorious_big

@milkman said:

@spraynardtatum said:
@steelerzfan101 said:

I felt kind of dumb at that point because I didn't realize that giving the money to Faith would not allow me to pay for the drink. So, after I was just a total badass and beat the shit out of this guy, I walk up to the bar and reach into my pocket and Bigby is just like "...shit." Suddenly, I didn't feel so cool.

Yeah I just went through a second-playthrough and I discovered all of this too. I saved my money and paid for the drink. I didn't give Faith the matchbook either and I still haven't used it for something. Maybe in the next episodes?

thebeegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By thebeegirl

So does Lawrence Always die? Cuz I tried going to him first but he still shot himself... ???

getmeon19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its funny game i must say :D

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does Lawrence Always die? Cuz I tried going to him first but he still shot himself... ???

Well, people in this thread have said Lawrence lived in their game.

AMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By AMonkey

So does anybody know what the items were for? Here is what I collected but never found a use for:

• Cash (seems to be for drink in the bar)
  • Bar matchsticks
  • Cloth scrap
  • Ten Swords tarrot card (can show to mirror)
  • Faith's ring

There are a couple of others I don't remember I think.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It says full spoilers right in the thread title. Can we maybe do without the spoiler tags? I'm tired of hovering the mouse over things to read them.

Anyway, that ending... I guess that's one way to surprise people, since newcomers will get a pretty nice jolt, but readers of the books would assume that situation was absolutely out of the table. They'll have to back off from it at some point, so I hope it doesn't come across as a cop-out.

@cornbredx: You do know that Fables the comic book predates Once Upon A Time by almost a decade, right? In fact, Fables was in development as a TV show before OUAT happened. I thought it was widely known that OUAT was basically a Fables ripoff, kind of on purpose.

Aanyway, great pilot episode. Easily better than the first episode of TWD, not as good as the rest of TWD's series. If it goes up instead of down in intensity it should be pretty cool. And you know what? It's also kind of better than the comic books, which were always a bit of hit and miss to me.

Oh, and have we figured out what determines whether Lawrence lives or dies? Does it have to do with ignoring him when he asks you not to call the doctor? Does it have to do with the time you spend going for a glass of water? I found that to be a weird detour. Anybody else think that Snow did something to him during that time? She has always been a bit... shady. Shadier than she looks, at least. I liked that Bigby can check the torn scrap of cloth against her skirt, which is a nice nod at the concept that he keeps her in mind as a suspect.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ghostiet

@thebeegirl said:

If you go to him first, he'll revive, since you get there before Dee comes - it's implied he finishes the job and cleans up the crime scene a bit.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I played through it a second time as an asshole and actually felt pretty shitty about it, especially telling bufkin to fuck off for no reason and hitting toad in front of his kid and ripping off that dudes arm was pretty brutal. I feel like the decisions you make in this game have a bigger impact on people than in TWD but maybe that's just me.

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By JackBurt0n

Just finished the episode last night. Here are the decisions I made:

• Gave Faith my money
  • Lied to Beast about Beauty
  • Went to Toad's first
  • Didn't name a suspect
  • Didn't pull off Grendel's arm
  • Arrested Tweedle Dee

Loved the ending...and I'm really excited to see where the series goes from here. I'm guessing from the rhyme both donkeygirl and the Mirror repeat, there's some sort of spell going on that's covering up information that is necessary to the case....and we'll probably find out more later. Still, really liking the premise and can't wait to see what happens next!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#81  Edited By breadfan

Man, I never read the comics but I am loving this universe. I am very looking forward to the second episode.

Does anyone know what the procedure is when it comes to rewinding to a specific scene? I want to go back and head to Lawrence's apartment first, but I do not want to mess with my original choices.

thebeegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By thebeegirl

@ghostiet: so basically we prevent his death TILL Dee and then he does. So his character dies no matter what we do in the grand scheme?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

• Gave Faith the money
  • Lied to Beast
  • Went to Toad's first
  • Suspected no one

Well Telltale were able to do it again. They took a comic series I thought was pretty crappy and were able to make me way more interested in it.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ghostiet: so basically we prevent his death TILL Dee and then he does. So his character dies no matter what we do in the grand scheme?

If you visit Lawrence first, he will still be alive because when Dee comes into the apartment, you chase him out onto the street. Also, you'll see that Lawrence is still alive in the video at the end that previews the next episode.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it, I might skip the next few episodes though, since I'd rather marathon them at once rather than wait monthly. I believe I know who the killer is since I scrolled down a little too far on an IGN news article and saw the comments where some troll spoiled who it is. Hopefully the game changes things up from the comics a little or that they were lying.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, you prevent his death altogether - if you go to him first, you hide in the closet, Larry pretends to be dead and you get the drop on Dee.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By spraynardtatum

@ghostiet said:

@thebeegirl said:

No, you prevent his death altogether - if you go to him first, you hide in the closet, Larry pretends to be dead and you get the drop on Dee.

In mine he pretended to be dead for a hot minute and then slowly raised a gun to own head and blew his brains out. I was confused.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So ... can anyone tell me where that Bluebeard guy comes from? ... I read up on him after I finished and he seems so be an serial murderer that chopped his brides heads off, but you have no contact with him yet he shows up as a suspect (had I known the brides thing I might have picked him) ... now it seems strange to me that he pretty much is in there without any further explenation?

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So ... can anyone tell me where that Bluebeard guy comes from? ... I read up on him after I finished and he seems so be an serial murderer that chopped his brides heads off, but you have no contact with him yet he shows up as a suspect (had I known the brides thing I might have picked him) ... now it seems strange to me that he pretty much is in there without any further explenation?

When you first enter Bigby's apartment, he has a folder on Bluebeard on his desk.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mostman

I went to Lawrence first because, well, fuck Toad. Dudes an asshole.

To answer some of the questions. When you show up at Lawrence's place, he is dead. But then he revives. Someone (Dee) breaks into the apartment, at which point, you hand the gun to Lawrence and hide in the closet. If you jump out of the closet and get the jump on Dee, Lawrence lives. If you stay in the closet too long (what I did), Lawrence shoots himself in the head.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@papercut said:

To be honest I was distracted by the completely naked lady in the background.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2headedninja said:

When you first enter Bigby's apartment, he has a folder on Bluebeard on his desk.

Also - once you look at it, it adds one of those Fable Stories or whatever to the menu. In there, it specifically mentions that the guy cuts people's heads off.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mostman said:

@garfield518 said:

@2headedninja said:

Also - once you look at it, it adds one of those Fable Stories or whatever to the menu. In there, it specifically mentions that the guy cuts people's heads off.

Yeah, I saw that file (I didnt look at the extras till I finished), but there still is no context to it as far as I remember ... there is a file of a guy, but how he ends up in your suspect list escapes me. Is the only reason "dude cut of heads in the past"? Granted not a bad reason, but it relys on you either knowing the fable he comes from or regulary checking the codex in game.

HandsomeLukeG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this game, excited for chapter 2, If this game comes to next gen I will re-play this episode.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the walking dead and I'm already liking this a lot more. I decided to:

• Give money to Faith (I thought she was gonna be around for longer and the pimp would give her a worse beating than the woodsman)
  • Lied to Beast (I promised beauty and something funky is going on if shes trying to hide)
  • Went to Toad's first (It looked too late for Lawrence in the mirror and Toad sounded like an immediate need)
  • Suspected the pimp (Didn't know enough about bluebeard, the woodsman didn't look coordinated enough to cut off a head that evenly in the mirror, and the tweedles seem more like lackeys)
  • Arrested Tweedle Dee (His story didn't add up, After I caught him outside Lawrence's place he said he was covered in blood because Lawrence shot himself but Bigsby said the gun at the scene hadn't been fired in weeks)
whysodown34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By whysodown34

My theory is that it's the guy you meet in the hall why would you see him if he had no significance whatsoever? Plus when you leave the cab and snow says be careful the cab driver is the exact same guy! Although I missed the scene you see him at the street.

nonekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy, I'm liking this so far. Played it in two sittings, picking it up again in the bar and of course didn't know I was so close to the end... But that bar fight was superbly animated, really enjoyed that! Seeing Bigby getting thrown around like that was cool as hell, waiting for him to "change". I've read all the collected volumes of Fables and it's the only serialized comic I read other than The Walking Dead. Reading it for quite a lot of years now has been an epic journey with only a few bum volumes in the collection (where the story was sort of meandering after finishing up a big story arc).

• I gave money to Faith
  • I lied to Beast
  • Went to Toad's (Felt bad about not helping him plus bad mouthing him earlier and Lawrence looked pretty dead in the mirror anyway)
  • I didn't name a suspect since I haven't even seen/interrogated all of them yet
  • I arrested Dee (it felt apparent after the bar talk that the Woodsman had nothing to do with Faith's death)
  • And yikes, ripped poor Gren's arm off (felt really bad afterwards when he just laid there sobbing, though it felt pretty damn good at the time, then felt worse again when I read his character bio, guy just wanted to be left alone... aw shucks, hope he can get it re-attached!)

Looking forward to the next chapter. Especially after that ending. Whoa. It really caught me off guard and my jaw basically dropped to the floor. As a reader I, unsurprisingly, had their relationship in the comics running through my mind during the chapter. It was quite the gut punch. Can't wait to see where they take this next.

Pynchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Pynchon

Good Grief, Telltale are really knocking it out of the park now, what a great episode.

The Snow White build and reveal really hit me, the cab scene had me thinking this is going to be an awkward romance and Snow is the femme fatale all Noir films have. When it got to the last scene where Bigby goes through the mundane cops I was pretty much 'oh no you fuckers you didn't'

And the scene in the bar, I was playing Bigby as a badass, straight after the Grendel arm tearing, I felt terrible and thought the door burst was Snow coming in to react in horror, not Tweedle. Nice misdirection Telltale.

Who did the music on this, was it Chris Remo? It's excellent as is the step up in TT's engine. i like the improvements in the action sequences too.

Count me in as one whose bought the Fable books on Amazon to help with the wait now, it's noticeable there's a weeks long wait now. I wonder if that's related...