IF the Xbox One removes its DRM and always online policy...

• 95 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By FluxWaveZ

Poll IF the Xbox One removes its DRM and always online policy... (308 votes)

I will now consider buying an Xbox One 46%
I will not consider buying an Xbox One 56%

So in light of the crazy ass rumor circulating recently, mostly originating from Giant Bomb itself, I want to see what people think.

I've been opposed to the Xbox One for a long time. Even before all of this, I was not satisfied with the exclusives the 360 offered as well as paying for XBLG for multiplayer. A whole lot of the Xbox One's policies turned out to be ridiculous and they've been going out of their way to make themselves look stupid as hell in the media. If this were to happen, however, I'll actually consider buying an Xbox One sooner than later for some exclusive games that would look interesting for it, but I'd still be buying a PS4 first.

And I was enjoying this train wreck...

• 
Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

There are like bad fucking '502 gateways' all up on this bitch.. Just trying to get here is hard, is all..

But fucking hell yes!! :D

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By maddman60620

I was going to buy one anyway, because the DRM and on-line wasn't a big deal to begin with....

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Good lord no. Even with all the policies pulled back, there's a full hundred dollar difference between the consoles, and on top of that you've got the whole PRISM thing happening at the same time. I wouldn't even have a frank political discussion with someone in a house that had an Xbox One in it, much less buy one myself.

Also it's got all of one game that looks interesting on it (Titanfall) which A) doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to buy a console for anyways and B) is coming out on PC.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Halo and Quantum Break are still not enough to pull me over. I don't give a shit about Kinect and I could pay $100 less for superior hardware (even though in actuality I probably won't consider getting one until after the first round of price drops because PC)

It's funny to see them do this though, I wonder if they will continue to stay flexible in any way like they did with Windows Phone in an attempt to carve out whatever market share they can. Good for consumers though.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Ares42

Their whole spiel didn't bother me in the first place, however it still doesn't have enough interesting games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By isomeri

@maddman60620 said:

I was going to buy one anyway, because the DRM and on-line wasn't a big deal to begin with....

Exactly. Also it's now been confirmed.

EDIT: Actually I might be one of the only people out there who preferred the original set of policies. Having discs be just a depository of data could have made it possible for Microsoft to release a SKU without a disc-drive at some point in the cycle.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

As I said in the story before it got yanked off the site, I still have no desire to own an X-Box 3. They seem to be doing all the same stuff the 360 did which holds zero appeal to me. None of their games look interesting or I can get them on PC, and everything they are touting from a non game view is stuff I can get on my PC for free that I would have to pay a monthly fee for on their system. No thanks.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

One of the poll results is gone because of the site exploding. Rumor has now become reality.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DoctorTran

I already had mine pre-ordered so I was down for it from the beginning but, I'm way more excited now.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe now we can focus on the games instead of all of the other crap.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm still getting a PS4 first because it's cheaper and more powerful.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By reisz

Fascinating times, a little bummed we no longer get to see the two different approaches and how they pan out, Forza 5 is back on the table for me now though, I guess Microsoft made a good move.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theveej

My biggest worried about Xbox One is the fact that I still don't know if the Kinect, UI and multitasking will work well. There is a huge concern on my part that Xbox One will compromise some game performance for the TV and UI stuff, if that stuff is a non issue then Xbox One looks amazing. DRM and always online was never a big issue for me.

PS4 is still the safer bet, but Xbox One has a better potential as a cool tech box and I'm still unsure about how well Sony will handle its online servers and UI.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cronus42

Nope. With this generation seeming to put even more emphasis on big titles coming out simultaneously on the PC, I'm just gonna do a $400 upgrade instead of spending that on either console. I don't feel like I'm missing a lot not having one anymore.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Also, the only game I'm going to need for the entirety of the next generation is coming out on the Wii U. Give me Bayonetta 2 and the rest of the world can burn, for all I care. I'll wait for a price drop before getting the PS4 and avoid the Xbox entirely.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji

No. They lost a ton of trust 2 days ago they said they will not change anything and even defended this decision and now this. What is about all the cloud bullshit they told us about? The damage has been done.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jay_ray

In 2-3 years where their are enough exclusives and a significant price drop. Definitely not at launch.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust

@crusader8463 said:

As I said in the story before it got yanked off the site, I still have no desire to own an X-Box 3. They seem to be doing all the same stuff the 360 did which holds zero appeal to me. None of their games look interesting or I can get them on PC, and everything they are touting from a non game view is stuff I can get on my PC for free that I would have to pay a monthly fee for on their system. No thanks.

Now I just have three problems with it:

1. A library consisting of majorly of shooters;
  2. Few exclusives (especially ones that aren't shooters);
  3. My lack of trust in Microsoft, derivating from the drought of exclusives in the last four years of the Xbox 360, plus this unconvincing 180º turn in their policies, not because they care about the costumer, but because they care about the money they were about to lose.
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mandude

Realisitically, their policies were only one in a list of things I didn’t like. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve still lost in:

• Price
  • Hardware
  • Online Service
  • First Party Reputation
  • Having a well-planned eco-system
HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Nope, it's still some strange game/TV hybrid machine which doesn't interest me in the slightest... and Kinect...

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I preordered one so I can make a decision later since I already have a PS4 preordered too. Really looking forward to more of this madness and to see if Sony strikes back. This makes me happy since I love my 360, but it makes me sad since now I have to make a tough choice between the two when they come out.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I preordered one so I can make a decision later since I already have a PS4 preordered too. Really looking forward to more of this madness and to see if Sony strikes back. This makes me happy since I love my 360, but it makes me sad since now I have to make a tough choice between the two when they come out.

CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That family share thing is affected by this, right? That was actually a great feature, hope it isn't.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikey87144

I'm not sure why people will still say they will not consider buying one. That DRM stuff was my main reason for not buying it. Now all things considered sure I will consider buying it. Just not at launch. Not interested in any of the exclusives except for Titan Fall and I'll probably end up getting that on PC.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Said in another thread but the DRM stuff never bothered me. I think Sony's stance on indies is way better but that was the only thing for me. So yeah the chances of me getting a XONE are pretty high. Good on MS.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Chibithor

No. More power for less money and more random Japanese exclusives makes the PS4 an easy choice for me even without the DRM debacle (edit: Oh and indies). Plus, that they were going to do this in the first place and the constant discrepancy between what they're saying and doing ("we're committed to Japan", "we're not changing anything") doesn't exactly boost my confidence in them. And don't get me started on 'the power of the cloud'.

All that aside though...Good on them. Good on everyone, I guess.

@captaintightpants:

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@captaintightpants said:

That family share thing is affected by this, right? That was actually a great feature, hope it isn't.

Yeah, that's officially gone and so is playing a disc-based game without the disc.

CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kpaadet

Nope still sticking with PS4:

-Cheaper.

-More powerful.

-More faith in Sony to deliver more diverse and better exclusives.

-PS plus > Xbox Gold

RobotSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RobotSquad

The damage has been done. Me and Microsoft are donezo.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mikey87144

I'm not sure why people will still say they will not consider buying one. That DRM stuff was my main reason for not buying it. Now all things considered sure I will consider buying it. Just not at launch. Not interested in any of the exclusives except for Titan Fall and I'll probably end up getting that on PC.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BRich

God. Damn. It.

They removed literally all of the features I was most looking forward to from the next generation. Anyone else canceling their pre-order due to this reversal?

Microsoft screwed up big time first losing all of the vocal people on the internet and now, anyone who was ready to move to a disc-free future (with DIGITAL GAME SHARING!)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel

Nope.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@brich: I was also with the removal of the family sharing features, but I think overall it's for the best.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deathstriker

@robotsquad said:

The damage has been done. Me and Microsoft are donezo.

Yeah, because people never forget stuff... like when PSN got hacked, everyone hated Steam, and sars was going to kill us all. Most people will forget MS stupid policies in 3 weeks. All big companies have done stupid things, it's not like this was an oil spill in the ocean.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By awesomeusername

I will consider getting it after a price drop if they have exclusives I want to play.

@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

They removed literally all of the features I was most looking forward to from the next generation. Anyone else canceling their pre-order due to this reversal?

Be gone Don!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm happy to say they've almost fully won me back :D

All they need to do for me to buy one is;

• Show me an exclusive I actually care about.
  • Prove that their Kinect privacy settings are good OR allow me to disconnect the thing entirely

(I'll be waiting for a full, probably 3rd party, privacy analysis before picking up an Xbox One if they don't allow me to disconnect the Kinect)

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nephrahim

Not really. The PS4 seems more compelling. It's more powerful, not bogged down by features I don't care about, and cheaper.

I might buy it sometime down the line, but I very rarely buy two consoles a gen, so I doubt it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By colourful_hippie

If the DRM stuff was the only thing holding some people back then yeah they would be pro Xbox, but there are plenty of other reasons that people can have to not bother with the new xbox. Like me for example, I don't care about live TV, Kinect, overpriced weaker hardware, and missing out on Halo so no thanks. PC followed shortly by PS4 is the route for me.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By thebunnyhunter

While this is very good news i still probably wouldn't but one in the foreseeable future. Perhaps its just that bad taste i still have that Microsoft had to be dragged to this instead of doing it from the beginning. Or it could be how they so easily strayed from their vision they had for their console.

I think Colin Moriary said it better than i could: "It shows a lack of vision, planning and leadership to reveal the policy, double-down on it, say how great it is, then change it. That's all."

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BRich

@deathstriker: Most people never knew about the policies to begin with. Most people also would have benefited from the policies.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OurSin_360

Nope, don't trust them anymore. They always have the "These terms are subject to change at any time" etc etc, and as soon as they instal base is at projected numbers, i have no doubt the policy will shift again.

They showed who they care about the most, and that's the publishers and share holders, not the consumers. It's also 100$ more expensive than the more powerful ps4.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Rayeth

Great, I'm happy MS finally saw the light on this one. But I don't trust for one second that they are doing this based on consumer feedback. They saw pre-order numbers, or Jimmy Fallon crucifying them on TV, or something else that made them change their mind. They would have been happy to let consumers rail on forever if they saw the numbers they wanted.

They are a business and trying to make money. They must think this will make them more. This is why I'm not buying EITHER console for a good long while. I want physical proof they aren't going to fuck something else up.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#48  Edited By Sin4profit

Sticking with PC gaming, will watch both consoles to see what services are better or what exclusives they have to entice me to buy either console.

climbedbritain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By climbedbritain

As a current 360 owner, I am still sold on the PS4. I'll consider purchasing an xbone later on after they've felt the pain of their stupid DRM decisions, and my wallet recovers.