US Navy serviceman attacks Xbox One & its policies

• 72 results
jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/us-navy-serviceman-calls-xbox-ones-24-hour-online-check-a-sin-committed-against-all-service-members/

A US serviceman called Jay johnson had some strong words to say about Xbone and its policies

“The single greatest sin Microsoft has committed against all service members [is] their surprising decision to require the Xbox One to receive a message from the “mother ship” every 24 hours,” wrote Johnson. “The reason that I am so infuriated about it is that I, and my brothers and sisters in arms, will not ever be able to play Xbox One when deployed or on detachment"

I really hope MS figures out a solution to this but may yet face more backlash if they let servicemen and woman around the world to an offline version but then dont give normal citizens around the world the same system.

This serviceman is leaning towards the ps4 but as we heard from don mattrick that "if people want a offline console they should get a 360" was the official response to the backlash about "always on always connected" .

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Voxus

This guy is going to get reemed by his chain.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dude should be too busy driving the boat to be playing video games.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By awesomeusername

Get a PS4. Someone should let him know that 90% of the games Xbox has will be on PS4.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm not one to defend Microsoft on this, but didn't they say they were looking into a solution for service men and women serving abroad? If so, they did a poor job making that known.

Again, not defending Microsoft. It's still a poor situation.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: Yes, they said that they're looking into ways to make exceptions.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I could've sworn hearing that Microsoft said they'd arrange servicemembers to be able to play Xbox One without the checks somehow (even though I find that claim dubious as it would be logistically difficult for them to justify or accomplish for all interested servicemembers).

This week has been so hectic, though, that much of the rash, tactless things said by one Don Mattrick would've understandably outraged a lot of people that didn't follow the news more closely.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not funny and a fairly ignorant statement. There's a lot of different positions he could be in and they obviously get downtime.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, yeeeeeah, but just like, get a PS4. We know now it won't do that same shit, and will likely get every good game the Xbone does, with the exception of Halo and Forza. I'm not sure why servicemen are exempt from the "vote with your wallet" rule.

binhoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By binhoker

Poor baby.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What's up, JAY JAAAAAY?!?!?

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@0blivion said:

This guy is going to get reemed by his chain.

I seriously doubt it. If he's an enlisted man who got into a commissioning program then he clearly knows how to get along well in the Navy and I'm sure he knows what he can get away with saying. His CO's probably don't give two shits about what he posts on Gamasutra. Plus nothing he said was particularly controversial.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

It's just pathetic. I typed two posts and deleted them both. What can be said? It's so seemingly unrealistic to lock part of your user base out completely, yet here we are. Hopefully word spreads by November and anyone in this situation doesn't go out to buy one of these things unknowingly.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

When I say this, I don't mean it as a form of disrespect to anyone in the military, but if they make exceptions to their system for certain people, I think that would be total bullshit. Why should some people have to put up with it when others don't?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Those are the policies, like it or not. Fucking deal with it by voting with your wallet.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA, XBOX?!

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not one to defend Microsoft on this, but didn't they say they were looking into a solution for service men and women serving abroad? If so, they did a poor job making that known.

Again, not defending Microsoft. It's still a poor situation.

I think they did. Then again Mattrick also made that quip about folks in Nuclear subs when he was telling people to buy a 360 so who fucking knows.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could've sworn hearing that Microsoft said they'd arrange servicemembers to be able to play Xbox One without the checks somehow (even though I find that claim dubious as it would be logistically difficult for them to justify or accomplish for all interested servicemembers).

This week has been so hectic, though, that much of the rash, tactless things said by one Don Mattrick would've understandably outraged a lot of people that didn't follow the news more closely.

I've heard people say they heard that (From Patrick here, for example) but not from Microsoft directly.

I assume they are looking into it, but if they can't figure out a way, that's just another group they're pissing off, and more reasons for people to hate their system. A lot of people in America take any slight to the men and women serving VERY seriously.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Sin? They consider themselves gods? Also, "service" men? Who are they serving? Since when is destruction and oppression a service?

He should buy a Playstation and play quietly on it.

They're in the service of our nation by defending her and her interests, often at grave risk of bodily harm.

I mean, yeeeeeah, but just like, get a PS4. We know now it won't do that same shit, and will likely get every good game the Xbone does, with the exception of Halo and Forza. I'm not sure why servicemen are exempt from the "vote with your wallet" rule.

To be fair, he probably just wants to make sure the rest of the troops, who might not be following this as close, are made aware of what's going on.

Get a PS4. Someone should let him know that 90% of the games Xbox has will be on PS4.

More like 99%.

"the boat"? Dude, they have shifts in the military, just like any other job. Gotta do something between missions and workouts, and TV reception isn't going to be good in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or the hills of Afghanistan.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Levio

Remember all those assholes who always say "who the fuck doesn't have internet access"? I wonder what they'll be ignorant about next.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I have a friend who is deployed right now and is proper pissed about the Xbox as well. Sony just won out with the service men and women on this one.

TzarStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muricans and their xbox love, i will never understand.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@levio said:

Remember all those assholes who always say "who the fuck doesn't have internet access"? I wonder what they'll be ignorant about next.

Indeed. So let's tally the people who can't use Xbox One despite having money.

1. Emerging markets.

2. Rural Americans, particularly in mountain states or especially remote areas.

3. Every major country's military.

Wonder who they'll add next to the list of "go get a 360" groups.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By artelinarose

I work at a local comic book and tabletop gaming store in a Navy town and about 80% of our customers and regulars are Navy personnel. 7% after that are people in the Army, and the rest are locals. Let me tell you, some of them are livid about what the Xbox One is doing. The article is not incorrect; for many of them, video games are one of the only things they have on the ship to unwind with while doing a 60 or 70 hour work week out on deployment and this has more or less sealed the deal that they are going PS4 rather than Xbox One because they just can't play their games while out at sea otherwise.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I really feel for these servicemen and women. Finding out that your favorite franchise is going to be almost unplayable to you when you're so far from home must be really crushing.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StaticFalconar

Sin? They consider themselves gods? Also, "service" men? Who are they serving? Since when is destruction and oppression a service?

This guy's on a boat motherfucker, he's on a boat. He need to get his COD on, since he ain't killin no fools on a boat.

Avatar image for dearpeptobismol
DEARPEPTOBISMOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By DEARPEPTOBISMOL

“The single greatest sin Microsoft has committed against all service members [is] their surprising decision to require the Xbox One to receive a message from the “mother ship” every 24 hours,” wrote Johnson. “The reason that I am so infuriated about it is that I, and my brothers and sisters in arms, will not ever be able to play Xbox One when deployed or on detachment"

Oh jeez, I like how this guy seems to think that Microsoft has done this to personally inconvenience members of the armed forces.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hero_swe

"Sin"
HA. That is all I have to say in the matter.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have some respect for our servicemen.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony could fuck up Microsoft even more if they came out and donated a bunch of PS4s to the military.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbone lost, we fucking get it. Stop complaining and buy a PC or a PS4.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Well, once there are exceptions there is a foothold for hackers to exploit. Even if it is something as crazy as a manual list - that would be open to social engineering. I'm sure that is MS's main concern.

Also, why special exceptions for certain groups? So check-ins aren't an absolute necessity, so where should that line be, really? Once one group is excluded from online checks others will wonder why they aren't excluded too.

Really the whole system seems so crazy because it's not natural and rational people necessarily tend to reject it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By mikemcn

@jouseldelka said:

He provides a service in that if a foreign nation decided to roll into your town and take over he would be called up to fend them off before you would. He "serves" you by doing a job that benefits you, without you having to put in the work. Hence "servicemen". The US military invading Iraq may not have been an example of "serving" but the soldiers involved were still serving the people at home by being on call when and if the people at home are directly threatened. Also, I doubt the average military-man's goal is destruction and oppression, the powers pointing them towards another state may desire that but as an individual, I doubt this guy wants to harm innocent people. He's probably in the military for the steady job or because he honestly buys into the belief that he's doing the right thing.

Criticize the guy for whining about xbox, not for being in the military.

Anyways... Buy a PS4, or PC, or WiiU, or any of a dozen other past consoles that have games you haven't tried. When this guy joined the service I doubt they made any promises about the xbox one being there. I hear the military is tough, you shouldn't expect videogames all the time, if ever.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

If you join the military you should be prepared to cut back on some of the entertainment options in your life. And US military personnel is not a big enough market to get worried over.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You heard it hear first, Microsoft does not support the troops. (SONY THIS IS FREE MARKETING ADVICE, FUCKING TAKE THIS BALL AND RUN WITH IT AND YOU WILL HAVE THE SOUTH AND MIDWEST UNDER LOCK AND KEY JUST DON'T TELL THEM YOU'RE JAPANESE AND ITS GOOD).

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

@rebel_scum: @yukoasho: @breadfan: Hey. Hey. Calm down guys. It's just a comment on the internet. You've been on the internet before, right? Sometimes people make non-serious comments.

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I understand Johnson's frustration the whole part of the policy being somehow even worse because it also inconveniences soldiers is pretty ridiculous. Really, have we honestly gotten to the point where "Won't somebody think of the soldiers!?" is actually considered a relevant argument?

It's just silly.

testaxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's easy to believe there are so many idiots in this thread with assumptions about how the military works (24 hour slave driving) or how they should live.

He can't speak for most of the military members; personally my work area is laughing at the Xbox and many of us that game have either already bought a PS4 or will do so later.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So get a PS4, what's the big deal?

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FourWude

@winternet: But what happens if the "Japs" commit another Pearl Harbor?

Never Forget.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Winternet

@fourwude: The PS4 is secretly a drone that can shut down all of America's defenses. What will you do when you can't trust your own systems? Spring 2015, Ubisoft brings you The Breakdown. Zoom out and oh my god it's multiplayer, look at all these dudes playing the game, like what! shit is crazy!

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By kristov_romanov

When I have been deployed sometimes the showers were cold water only, sometimes there weren't showers.

If you have electricity go for the PS4.

I hope most people signing up for a job that may take them to faraway lands, such as those that military or peace-keepers could go to, are aware that the accommodations aren't always 5 stars.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jdh5153

When I have been deployed sometimes the showers were cold water only, sometimes there weren't showers.

If you have electricity go for the PS4.

I hope most people signing up for a job that may take them to faraway lands, such as those that military or peace-keepers could go to, are aware that the accommodations aren't always 5 stars.

Exactly. Most of the people I've known who've deployed spent most of their free time (which there isn't much of) watching movies, working out, talking to family, etc. I'm certainly not taking my Xbox when I go next year. There's no need for it, there will be other things to worry about, like doing a job.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Argh, either be joking or shut up.