Sega has shut down all of Yakuza sites outside of Japan.

• 55 results
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darji

Sega has shut down all official Yakuza sub sites outside of Japan. The only proof that they ever released a Yakuza game in the west is the forums and a Dead Souls page.

It’s looking grimmer by the day and I wish I could post some better news. I’m not going anywhere and my Yakuza love still burns! No matter what I’ll carry the torch for the western Yakuza Fans!

http://yakuzafan.com/post/62617991224/sega-has-shut-down-all-official-yakuza-sub-sites

And with this we most likely have seen the end of this IP in the west.... It is really a sad day. I waited with importing Yakuza 5 because I thought they will bring it over but I guess I don't have to do that anymore with 5 and later Isshin...

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

SEGApocalypse is happening.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's really disappointing. All of that is.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Darji

I wonder if a game like Yakuza had a chance in the west on the PC and on steam. I really hope Trails in the sky does well this year so developer can see that it maybe an option for Japanese niche games.

Also I wonder if it is legally ok if a fansub team actually would do the job voluntary and give it to sega so they can sell it XD

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, talk about a death knell. I really liked the first two and was finally thinking of buying the PS3 ones.

Can't wait to hear next week's SBFcast.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Grissefar

Wow man that sucks one disgusting shit from the ass. I guess Sega really pisses in the ass these days.

I guess our only hope for Yakuza 5 lies with Gio Corsi and Adam Boyes, but that's a really long shot, man.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sucks.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Nekroskop

Sega does it again. You bet your ass they looked at the 'Dead Souls' sales and thought: " It doesn't seem that the west likes Yakuza.." Which was the worst one in the entire series.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UGH. I love the Yakuza games, and I don't speak Japanese, so this is incredibly disappointing news for me. Freakin' SEGA, man.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

That's really too bad.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sega pls...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wonder if Sega would be open to just digital releasing the game with English subtitles. I could never imagine myself saying this but take a page from Capcom with Phoenix Wright Duel Destinies.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Maybe .. maybe they're just tricking us. Right guys? Right...?

On a more serious note. Fuck the Western market. And fuck SEGA America for even thinking of bringing OF THE END over. I knew it would kill the Ryu ga Gotoku series in NA and EU.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

I wonder if a game like Yakuza had a chance in the west on the PC and on steam. I really hope Trails in the sky does well this year so developer can see that it maybe an option for Japanese niche games.

Also I wonder if it is legally ok if a fansub team actually would do the job voluntary and give it to sega so they can sell it XD

SEGA of Japan would have to pass off on it. But many of the Ys games and Trails in the Sky were done by freelancers. Hell, Ys Oath in Felghana was already translated years before and that fan translation was then used for the official release, with some alterations. Just depends on how said company wants to do their localization. In-house, partial freelance or with a company like 8-4.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I didn't expect any future Yakuza game to get released over here, but it's still an incredibly scummy move by Sega.

I'm definitely worried about Persona now too and I've long since giving up hope of PSO2 ever being released.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Darji

@wintersnowblind said:

I didn't expect any future Yakuza game to get released over here, but it's still an incredibly scummy move by Sega.

I'm definitely worried about Persona now too and I've long since giving up hope of PSO2 ever being released.

There is really no need to worry about Persona. Persona does sell in the west Yakuza sadly never did.

@yadilie yeah makes sense

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

A sad turn of events... But I had very low hopes that Yakuza 5 was getting brought over. Still, it's too bad that Dead Souls is looking to be the last Yakuza game we're left with. Such a colossal pile of junk.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yadilie

@wintersnowblind: Persona sells buckets. And they've gone to bed with Nintendo with Sonic. That's all they give a shit about now.

Persona and Sonic. Personic.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By SerHulse
No Caption Provided

Goddammit SEGA...

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yadilie said:

@wintersnowblind: Persona sells buckets. And they've gone to bed with Nintendo with Sonic. That's all they give a shit about now.

Now 340k is hardly buckets, man. And that's P4, which is the best selling Persona in the west. The others are closer to 200k, like Yakuza - and Yakuza doesn't even require any voice work done, just the translation. That's what makes it baffling, man.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Fuck that.

mrGREEK360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza is a boring franchise that no one wants to play outside the hard core western fans which isn't much. SEGA isn't going to publish a game at a loss just so the few fans that Yakuza has in the west are happy. Get over it, Yakuza is dead in NA.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yadilie said:

Now 340k is hardly buckets, man. And that's P4, which is the best selling Persona in the west. The others are closer to 200k, like Yakuza - and Yakuza doesn't even require any voice work done, just the translation. That's what makes it baffling, man.

I really doubt the 200K number for Yakuza. These are NPD first week:

Yakuza 3 52k

Yakuza 4 4 26k

Souls: 6k

RavenousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Sega!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't they just release an all-digital version like the people who translated Way of the Samurai 4? The text translation costs practically nothing and bandwidth costs are pretty small too.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By MildMolasses

Sega does it again. You bet your ass they looked at the 'Dead Souls' sales and thought: " It doesn't seem that the west likes Yakuza.." Which was the worst one in the entire series.

Or they looked at the sales of 3 and 4 and decided it wasn't worth it

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well..... I guess this at least gives me plenty of time to get around to play this sealed copy of Yakuza 4 I got without having to worry about the fifth releasing before I play it....

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well..that's fucked up.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darji said:

@grissefar said:

@yadilie said:

Yakuza 3 52k

Yakuza 4 4 26k

Where did you find that?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaLe

I never cared for the Yakuza series myself but this is a bad sign... Maybe when everything is digital and they don't have to cover the manufacturing and distribution in other territories it starts to make more sense to localize games like this even when they don't sell well.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jimmyfenix

I really wish they can get Atlus USA to bring over Yakuza but at the same time i don't want Atlus USA titles to be delayed or cancelled because of it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@grissefar said:

@yadilie said:

Yakuza 3 52k

Yakuza 4 4 26k

Where did you find that?

Neogaf XD These are first week NPd numbers and i believe Japanese games are selling a bit better in Europe so It really did not sell that well. I understand the reason for Sega not bringing these games over anymore but it is still sad to see...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@grissefar said:

@yadilie said:

Yakuza 3 52k

Yakuza 4 4 26k

Where did you find that?

Neogaf XD These are first week NPd numbers and i believe Japanese games are selling a bit better in Europe so It really did not sell that well. I understand the reason for Sega not bringing these games over anymore but it is still sad to see...

Do you have a link? Where did the poster get his/her information? NPD doesn't make those numbers public.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its really disappointing. if the numbers were dreadfully low (which they probably were) I can understand the business behind it. but still KKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUU KKKKKKKAAAAAAAZZZZZZZUUUUUMMMMAAAAAA!!!!! please come back :D

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yakuza games always looked interesting to me, but they also looked as if they asked the player to forgive too many inadequacies in order to enjoy their quirks. I think Sega's behavior recently suggests that its solution to flagging demand for its core products is to diminish its investments in individual products, thereby making them too flawed for anything more than niche popularity. Just my impression though, I haven't been in the board rooms.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@grissefar said:

@yadilie said:

Yakuza 3 52k

Yakuza 4 4 26k

Where did you find that?

Do you have a link? Where did the poster get his/her information? NPD doesn't make those numbers public.

I got it from here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688791

He used monthly NPD threads and very often in these threads we get some numbers leaked from there. Sadly I can not access the archive of March NPD 2011 (release month for Yakuza 4) but if you can you are free to do so^^

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: Has nothing to do with how they treat their IPs. It has everything to do with the Western gaming market. This website is a great testament to that. The West is ignorant. The amount of times I hear something is "too Japanese" is fucking astonishing and disgraceful. But you know. Those people won. We get badly ported re-releases of old Dreamcast games and shitty Sonic games from SEGA. Congrats guys. You won. =)

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Grissefar

@darji said:

@grissefar said:

@yadilie said:

Yakuza 3 52k

Yakuza 4 4 26k

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1Yakuza 2PS22006AdventureSega0.050.160.840.041.09
2Yakuza 3PS32009AdventureSega0.180.130.620.131.06
3Yakuza 4PS3N/AAdventureSega0.120.040.630.090.88

Yakuza 2: 210k

Yakuza 3: 310k

Yakuza 4: 160k

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Darji
Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yadilie said:

@veektarius: Has nothing to do with how they treat their IPs. It has everything to do with the Western gaming market. This website is a great testament to that. The West is ignorant. The amount of times I hear something is "too Japanese" is fucking astonishing and disgraceful. But you know. Those people won. We get badly ported re-releases of old Dreamcast games and shitty Sonic games from SEGA. Congrats guys. You won. =)

And the japanese market is full of people who don't buy western games.... the cultural differences in taste is nothing new, in fact one could argue the Asian markets refusal to ever seemingly embrace anything in the video game market that isn't japanese would make me think that the asian culture is more closed off than the western when it comes to video games.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mikkaq said:

Why can't they just release an all-digital version like the people who translated Way of the Samurai 4? The text translation costs practically nothing and bandwidth costs are pretty small too.

See I wonder this with more games, for some there is even already a fan-translation. Just hire 2/3 translators and release it digital. You probably need to sell what, a thousand games to get the costs out?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iamjohn

@darji said:

@grissefar: I am not a dick here I just question VG chartz^^

For comparison. First week US Persona 4: 110,000 and Golden even did 137,076 and that is US alone. These sales are pretty good for such a niche game. So people really need to worry about Persona 5 not comming to the west.

Wow, you actually had a point there. I like that, man. I know what you were trying to do, and it was extremely pointless. Do you not get that I don't care if the real sales were 200k or 300k? The point is, sales between Persona and Yakuza in the West were similar. Do you get it? Unless you are making a complicated market sales or marketing analysis, you probably don't need ultra-accurate data.

Except they're not similar at all. You can keep saying this and we can turn this into arguing about VGChartz's fake numbers all everyone wants, but it's not the same. The Persona games are much cheaper to make and are localized and published by a company specifically built to handle breaking even on selling 50,000 copies. That's hasn't been Sega for years. They've always wanted Yakuza to be as big in the West as it is in Japan. That it's impossible for a multitude of reasons doesn't matter if it's the expectation they have as a mid-sized publisher who doesn't want to waste their time with smaller projects. And when, in their minds, those resources could be better used on Football Manager or Total War or Relic or things that actually make them money and appeal to far more people than a niche Japanese PlayStation-exclusive franchise and they've tried it five times to no real success, no wonder they're done.

Of course, that doesn't preclude Atlus USA from jumping in.