Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 29, 2007

Forza Motorsport 2 brings Microsoft's racing sim series to the Xbox 360 with new tracks, new cars, and an impressive livery editor.

Going Back: Forza 2

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By irishjohn

One of the plus sides of almost never finishing computer games is that when I’m stuck between releases I can go back and play a game I’ve left behind. Normally I just get sidetracked before I can finish out the game. Sometimes, as is the case with Forza 2, there’s just too much to do to “complete” the game in a reasonable amount of time. At least for someone of my skill level.

I had forgotten how amazing Forza 2 is. It really holds up well against anything I’ve bought recently, and I was dragged back into the leveling system almost immediately. There are so many cars, so many tracks... there is just so much STUFF. This game is a real gem. Despite my limited ability, I really got into this game when it came out, and I even got into painting cars for a while. Not long enough to get any good at it, mind you.

It blows my mind someone did this with standard vinyl shapes and colour shades.

The beauty of Forza 2 lies in the way it embraces people who know nothing about cars and perhaps not a lot more about racing games, but like playing video games in general. A lot of people talk about the racing line, a guideline alternating in colour between green, red and orange to indicate good braking technique. That’s just part of it though; Forza 2 feels welcoming to people who aren’t sure where to start when it comes to tuning up a car’s suspension without alienating people who are really, really into that kind of thing.

This is probably super basic stuff, and I'm lost.

It’s gotten me really excited for Forza 3, a game I had somehow forgot about until recently. Forza 2 is one of the few games I really got into playing online, and it’s the main draw for the sequel. The first two Forza games did a fantastic job of integrating a single player career with online play. If Forza 3 can bring this to another level, I will be hopelessly addicted.

There is one drawback, though, one that reminds me why I stopped playing the game: it gets tense. In most racing games I cheat the system disgracefully by amassing enough in-game finances to buy cars that blow the opposition away, at least on straightaways, and grind my way home. This is possible in Forza 2, but I find myself in situations where one small mistake effectively ends my involvement in the race. This, allied with my own fragile psyche, results in lots of spinning off the track on final laps. Most of my “replaying” of the game has involved learning and relearning how to take each corner of a particular track. This hasn’t stopped my enjoyment of the game. I am in video game fail heaven and I love it.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By irishjohn

One of the plus sides of almost never finishing computer games is that when I’m stuck between releases I can go back and play a game I’ve left behind. Normally I just get sidetracked before I can finish out the game. Sometimes, as is the case with Forza 2, there’s just too much to do to “complete” the game in a reasonable amount of time. At least for someone of my skill level.

I had forgotten how amazing Forza 2 is. It really holds up well against anything I’ve bought recently, and I was dragged back into the leveling system almost immediately. There are so many cars, so many tracks... there is just so much STUFF. This game is a real gem. Despite my limited ability, I really got into this game when it came out, and I even got into painting cars for a while. Not long enough to get any good at it, mind you.

The beauty of Forza 2 lies in the way it embraces people who know nothing about cars and perhaps not a lot more about racing games, but like playing video games in general. A lot of people talk about the racing line, a guideline alternating in colour between green, red and orange to indicate good braking technique. That’s just part of it though; Forza 2 feels welcoming to people who aren’t sure where to start when it comes to tuning up a car’s suspension without alienating people who are really, really into that kind of thing.

It’s gotten me really excited for Forza 3, a game I had somehow forgot about until recently. Forza 2 is one of the few games I really got into playing online, and it’s the main draw for the sequel. The first two Forza games did a fantastic job of integrating a single player career with online play. If Forza 3 can bring this to another level, I will be hopelessly addicted.

There is one drawback, though, one that reminds me why I stopped playing the game: it gets tense. In most racing games I cheat the system disgracefully by amassing enough in-game finances to buy cars that blow the opposition away, at least on straightaways, and grind my way home. This is possible in Forza 2, but I find myself in situations where one small mistake effectively ends my involvement in the race. This, allied with my own fragile psyche, results in lots of spinning off the track on final laps. Most of my “replaying” of the game has involved learning and relearning how to take each corner of a particular track. This hasn’t stopped my enjoyment of the game. I am in video game fail heaven and I love it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I was thinking about borrowing my nephew's copy of Forza 2. I've been in the mood for speed and free/borrowed is for me.

mmmskyscraper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mmmskyscraper

I  was reading about Forza 3 yesterday and remembered I had Forza 2 hidden away. I'd only completed 2 races then never got back to playing it. Not for any particular reason other than there was so much else to play and I hadn't touched the career mode. Started that today and realised there's a lot of fun to be had.

Are you looking forward to the time rewind feature in Forza 3, or will that take the edge off those tense races?

Nice article btw.

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By LosDub

ive actually been taking last 2 months away from Forza 2 so i can refresh my racing batteries and not get burned out so fast when ill be playing it 24/7 atleast till mw2. Forza2 has been the game that my 360 has seen the most of i also  did career mode twice -1st time just to unlock stuff then a 2nd time to better my ranking on the tracks n overall career rankings 

being in a racing clan myself i have seen many folks come an go they dont put enuff time into it to get faster cuz u cant expect to be the fastest in the game right from the start. they also seem to get overwhelmed when it comes to the tuning aspect but luckily if you happen to run wit some friends that can tune cars like i do all ya gotta do is ask and they will share a tune wit ya, well most folks will lol. 

dont forget Forza 3 Demo coming this Thursday on the 24th about a full month before the actual release of the game :D    

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By crunchUK
    @Irishjohn said:

understeer for the lose.... tuning is easy. You just read the descriptions and mess around with the settings until you get a feel for what everything does. getting a good tune is the hard bit :P but making your car powerslide wildly is quite fun...
    irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By irishjohn
    @MmmSkyscraper: Cheers for the kind comments.  The career mode is rad.  I am looking forward to the rewind mode, it's going to make life fun for persistent Forza novices like myself.

@LosDub: I don't have the time to get into clans and racing and all that, but I would like to take some time to get better at tuning the cars... Maybe in Forza 3!
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TheHBK

Oh man, I did the same thing and pulled out Forza 2.  My brother got it used with the Marvle Ultimate Alliance game and he never used it.  I decided to pull it out just because of how exciting all the stuff they are doing with Forza 3 sounds.  But in my experience Forza has been one of those titles to drop in price pretty fast.
    I am so amazed by what people have done with the custom painting and wonder if i can come up with anything close to what is in my head.  I have been playing Forza 2 because I just want to get a feel for the game so i can be into Forza 3 when it comes out.

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By LosDub

@irishjohn - im in a pretty casual racing grp we share everything basically. we do spec races 3weeks out of each month(2 nights a week) and BS around all other times. no one ever gets kicked out unless they just being a plain douche and a really dirty driver. on spec nights when alot of folks show we start splitting rooms into pro's and novice. 

@theHBK - Forza dropped in price cuz it became so widley available to every one when it was bundled wit MUA and the 360 so led to lot less demand, it also made Platnium hits. which had all the DLC on it
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Forza is a good product on a technical level, but every time I tried to grind through the extensive career mode, it just reminded how much more I liked the games that blended simulation and an "arcady" feel. Like the PGR series pre-PGR4. 

I'm sort of dancing around getting Forza 3, but I'm afraid I'll probably lose interest in the game after a few hours with the career. And since I'm not skilled enough at the game, and not interested enough to get better, the online portion has little appeal for me.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By irishjohn
    @Sir_Ragnarok: I think there's a lot there other than the career though, if you're interested in messing around in painting cars and the like.  I can see what you mean though, if the basic racing style just doesn't appeal to you.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Irishjohn:
    I am constantly in awe of what people can do with the paint tools Forza gives players, but it's sort of the same story as with the racing; low skill + low patience = low playtime.  

I want to like the Forza franchise, because I understand what about the game's makeup are quality features. But I just can't get around to it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.