That box art is pretty terrible

• 68 results
#1 Edited by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

The box art was just revealed today. It looks to me like they messed up centering the image and just went with it. The NTSC logo is even covering that guy's face. Come on.

#2 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Terrible? No. Kinda shitty editing? Yes.

#3 Edited by Zacagawea (1585 posts) -

Yeah, the fuck? Who thought this looked good?

#4 Edited by jkz (4003 posts) -

Meh, looks about as poorly edited / over-focus-tested as most video-game box-art nowadays.

Although yes, they could have maybe done a tad more work, if only so the NTSC logo didn't end up looking like some weird censored-bar over that guy's mouth

#5 Posted by Levius (1086 posts) -

Well at least the other half of the box isn't teal.

#6 Posted by TheHT (10933 posts) -

Needs some blue in there. ;)

#7 Edited by benspyda (2030 posts) -
#8 Posted by Asurastrike (2162 posts) -

THe name is kind of terrible also. Fuse, like the fruit drink?

#9 Posted by BisonHero (6247 posts) -

I'll miss you, Overstrike.

#10 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2315 posts) -
#11 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Overstrike way better name

#12 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44: Needs more blue. You know, because all boxarts need to mix blue and orange in some sort of contrasting and visually-popping way.

#13 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

I expect this to be on the list of EA partners games that sell shitty. I don't know what hell Insomniac was thinking because everything other than the initial Overstrike CG trailer has screamed mediocre. They are more talented than this.

#14 Posted by 49th (2697 posts) -

I bet that fucken guy is bald

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

This isn't a joke?

#16 Posted by Labman (287 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

This isn't a joke?

As soon as I saw the NTSC logo, I thought for sure it was a photochop.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

I think I'm the last defender of this game. Still, I cannot defend this box art. I can't believe that this isn't a joke. :/

#18 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

@benspyda: Nice spoiler

I think that if they moved the image down so I could see their faces it would be better. Otherwise it looks like some typical boxart for what looks to be a typical shooter. (Especially since Insomniac is in on it, expectations were higher)

#19 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3805 posts) -

The position of the characters and the font are kinda meh but I don't really mind so much. But the orange glow, what the hell is going on here? You can't even tell what's in dudes hand cause it's covered in electric orange cyber goo. What is going on here?

#20 Edited by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

It's like one of those obesity documentaries where everyone is filmed from the chest down...

#21 Posted by Dawglet (312 posts) -

Check out that dude's sick lookin NTSC mustache.

#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Don't like it, liked the previous art style better.

#23 Edited by believer258 (11683 posts) -

I'd like to know whose bright idea it was to absolutely destroy any ounce of originality this game had. I just feel depressed every time I see it. Whoever thought "this game would sell better if it looked less cartoony" needs to compare Team Fortress 2 and Homefront. Or Borderlands and Medal of Honor.

#24 Posted by nutter (122 posts) -

It looks like the kind of pictures my wife's grandmother used to take. She'd constantly miss everyone's heads, somehow.

#25 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

Makes sense their heads were FUSED to the Xbox logo on the case.

#26 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

Why does the gradient-textured ground take up 1/3 of the box art?!?

#27 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

I remember when this game was one of the games I anticipated the most...but it was called Overstrike then.

Man, things have just been going downhill (in my opinion) since they changed the aesthetics of this game. That orange explosion, I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be or where it's coming out of.

#28 Posted by CellBit (8 posts) -

It's no Resistance 3 box art, that's for sure.

#29 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I feel like there's got to be some design choice behind their heads being cut off like that. Normally I'd say it has something to do with the faceless nature of war or something along those lines, but considering this game is supposed to be all about how distinct its characters are (or at least it was when it was Overstrike) it makes no fucking sense at all to me.

#30 Posted by xXDiabloFanXx (50 posts) -

http://imgur.com/0Ghj8 Sticker placement like this on RE: 6 and Hitman Absolution is appalling.

#31 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

To be fair, the whole game seems pretty terrible.

#32 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@xXDiabloFanXx

http://imgur.com/0Ghj8 Sticker placement like this on RE: 6 and Hitman Absolution is appalling.

Oh god that shit is horrible.
#33 Posted by CrimsonNoir (400 posts) -

Looks like COD boxart times 4.

#34 Posted by xXDiabloFanXx (50 posts) -

Sticker placement like this on Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution as well as others is appalling. At least this box art isn't that bad. But something that's offset and printed to say the least, like such, is pretty bad :/

#35 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1555 posts) -

Who thought this was a good idea?

#36 Posted by LobsterVendetta (105 posts) -

I wouldn't say I am an expert on composition, but to me it looks like there is a bit too much empty space at the bottom of the cover. It is made more jarring by the fact that the character's faces are cut off. Then again I don't know, maybe this is proper graphic design.

#37 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3007 posts) -

Yeah.

*sigh*

It's awful.

#38 Posted by djou (863 posts) -

Yeah, I'm disappointed by the art especially since the design for Resistance 3 by Olly Moss was so innovative and stylish. This looks really generic, like it was designed by a focus group. This game has a GI Joe vibe to it and now they are starting to rip off the art direction from the lame movie remake.

#39 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I think it looks great. no idea what you're talking about

#40 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

I'll miss you, Overstrike.

You and me both.

#41 Edited by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

I haven't seen any of this game since is was announced but I thought this game was suppose to be about a colorful cast of characters. Shouldn't I want to see their faces?

#42 Posted by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

That is really weird... the amount of featureless ground really does make me think somebody fucked up.

#43 Posted by adam1808 (1390 posts) -

They're too edgy to have eyes.

#44 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

This can't be right. But it does make me want to see their faces.

#45 Posted by yoshisaur (2668 posts) -

It is pretty terrible, and seems like more of a mistake rather than a design choice. It's sad, because that would look pretty neat if it wasn't cropped improperly.

#46 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

It seems disappointing, with the way it is cropped you can't see the sweet beards the dudes in the picture assuredly have.

#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

@xXDiabloFanXx

Oh god that shit is horrible.

Ya I discovered that when I bought an Assassins Creed game there a few years back. Will never buy a game from there again.

#48 Edited by AssInAss (2549 posts) -

Black man not allowed to talk, lol.

This is going down as one of the funniest bad box arts of games.

#49 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I hope one day we get an interview from someone at Insomniac and find out what the fuck happened to Overstrike.

#50 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1235 posts) -

This game has just been downhill after that initial reveal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.