Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Games for Windows - Live

Concept »

Microsoft's PC branch of its Live service. Lends the same functionality as Xbox Live Gold to Games For Windows games including cross-platform compatibility for achievements, friends & messages, downloadable content, and in some cases, multiplayer.

Just got Windows 7 RTM!

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

My work (which is a Microsoft Partner) just gave me the final RTM version of Windows 7 Home Premium, Profession, and Ultimate Editions to test our software on.  We also got the Enterprise Edition, but I don't really feel like setting up a KMS Server and 25 Clients just to activate it :p 

Anyway, I'm going to install Visual Studio 2008 on one and 2010 Beta on another instance.  I will probably also install Games for Windows Live 3.0 along with Street Fighter IV, just to see how things work :) 

As far as I can tell, there are no non-disclosure agreements or anything, so I'm sure a mass amount of Windows 7 Reviews will be hitting the web over the coming days.  I'll report back with my personal findings next week or so. 

Anyone else got it yet or just waiting in anticipation?! 

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Im still running on the 64 RC version, planning on upgrading as soon as possible though, no way in hell am i going back to xp/vista

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Luke
    @OmegaPirate: Yeah, Windows 7 is pretty awesome... especially the 64-bit version!  

I also just got the Office 2010 Technical Preview, which was also released to insiders today... I'm still waiting for Windows Server 2008 R2 though, which I'll probably make my final Workstation OS (for some Hyper-V action and to play around with the Windows 7 Group Policies).  Too much damn software today from Microsoft, making my job a little harder :p 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

What's so awesome about Windows 7?  In videos I've seen it looks a lot like current Vista.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Diamond said:
    " What's so awesome about Windows 7?  In videos I've seen it looks a lot like current Vista. "
    It's basically what Vista should have been in the first place, so it's more of a incremental upgrade. Still I can no longer go back to using Vista after using the Beta/RC versions for the past several months.
    DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DerekDanahy
    @Luke said:
    " @OmegaPirate: Yeah, Windows 7 is pretty awesome... especially the 64-bit version! 
    What's so special about the 64-bit version?
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Metroid545

very nice I have windws 7 but I'm not pujtting in on et because my comp is on the verge of death and windows 7 will just push it over, using up everything it has before I move on

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

How about you send me one of your (works) copies.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ZeroCast

This might not be related to the subject on-hand, but is it true that the 32 bit version of Windows 7 doesn't work if you have more than 4 Gigs of RAM?      
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spazmaster666
    @ZeroCast said:

" This might not be related to the subject on-hand, but is it true that the 32 bit version of Windows 7 doesn't work if you have more than 4 Gigs of RAM?       "

It can't address more than 4 GB of ram so any additional RAM is basically wasted (In reality, it's closer to 3.25 GB).
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By KamasamaK

Are those copies only for use at work or can you install them on a home computer?

@ZeroCast: The 32-bit OS will work, but it will be unable to address more than 4 GB of memory. Because of the way memory is allocated, that means only about 3 GB of RAM is usable.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By CoverlessTech  Online

Hopefully more companies will actually make their programs 64bit compatible so we can actually get the use out of it, Mozilla I'm looking at you. 

Been trying out the RC and honestly I don't like it. It just seems like Vista SP2 with Super Bar and I hate the super bar, give me the classic task bar any day of the week.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spazmaster666
    @CoverlessTech said:
    " Hopefully more companies will actually make their programs 64bit compatible so we can actually get the use out of it, Mozilla I'm looking at you.   Been trying out the RC and honestly I don't like it. It just seems like Vista SP2 with Super Bar and I hate the super bar, give me the classic task bar any day of the week. "
    Firefox already has a 64-bit version. Unfortunately, Adobe has not come out with a 64-bit version of Flash yet for windows, so 64-bit Firefox only gets limited use for me.
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CoverlessTech  Online
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @CoverlessTech said:
    " Hopefully more companies will actually make their programs 64bit compatible so we can actually get the use out of it, Mozilla I'm looking at you.   Been trying out the RC and honestly I don't like it. It just seems like Vista SP2 with Super Bar and I hate the super bar, give me the classic task bar any day of the week. "
    Firefox already has a 64-bit version. Unfortunately, Adobe has not come out with a 64-bit version of Flash yet for windows, so 64-bit Firefox only gets limited use for me. "
    You mean Minefield? Mozilla doesn't provide an actual 64bit Firefox release(unless that changed in the last month or so).
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spazmaster666
    @CoverlessTech said:

You mean Minefield? Mozilla doesn't provide an actual 64bit Firefox release(unless that changed in the last month or so). "

Actually Minefield was 3.0, 3.5 is called Shiretoko (both are just code names for pre-release versions of Firefox). When they finally release it officially, they'll probably just call it Firefox 64-bit version.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By KamasamaK
    @spazmaster666: The codename for 3.0 was Gran Paradiso. Minefield is the name for trunk builds, and as far as I know there are no official 64-bit builds.
    leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By leky1

oooh no!XP pro is what i grew up wwith

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By tebbit
    @Kamasama said:
    "Are those copies only for use at work or can you install them on a home computer?

@ZeroCast: The 32-bit OS will work, but it will be unable to address more than 4 GB of memory. Because of the way memory is allocated, that means only about 3 GB of RAM is usable. "

Yeah? I have a problem with my Vista 32-bit, it just wont load windows at all when I have 4 gigs in, but windows 7 64-bit it can of course handle it fine! 
    Although, I suspect thats more to do with my cheap ram than anything else...
    Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Dragonseer

I've been fiddling around with the RTM release for a little while now.. I think it is inferior to OSX Leopard, not as intuitive as Ubuntu, and doesn't offer any real advantage over Vista, I don't like the new Superbar which I think rips off KDE - and I don't like the new media player (I miss the old mini mode) so I've already lost interest.  I like the boot up screen and aero shake but that's about it.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#20  Edited By citizenkane

Awesome.  I wish I could get Windows 7 this year, but it will likely be early next year at the earliest I am able to purchase and install it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.