Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Afro's Guide To Sucking Less At Gears of War 3 Multiplayer

• 102 results
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By Afroman269
    No Caption Provided

The multiplayer in the past Gears of War games have a reputation of consisting of only hardcore players that roll around decimating the weak with shotguns. I was one of those crazy people who stayed with the game's multiplayer and I won't deny that the shotgun accusations are true. With that said, Gears of War 3 has finally provided the tools necessary for people to be able to even the playing field with something other than a shotgun. I aim to provide some info and strategies to help those who are unfamiliar with the game be better prepared and stay competitive in the multiplayer.

THE WEAPONS

Let's start out by talking about the weapons that you can spawn with.

LANCER

Now with better chainsawing!

Ah yes, the classic Lancer. In Gears 3, the Lancer now has a larger magazine than ever before and can shoot with very little recoil. This gun is great for giving cover fire and forcing the enemy to take cover. The chainsaw has even been slightly tweaked so that once it is fully revved up, the only way to shut off the chainsaw is to either die or let go of the B button. If you manage to chainsaw a guy you can still continue to hold down B and continue to chainsaw any nearby enemies without ever having to turn off the chainsaw. It can get pretty crazy if no one is able to put you down. This is a great weapon for beginners.

RETRO LANCER

Get at me, shotgun lovers.

Now this gun is supposed to be the older version of the Lancer and has a knife bayonet attached to the gun instead of a chainsaw. This rifle is the most powerful out of the three you can get, but it is also the one with the most recoil. The gun has been tweaked since the beta and now has even more recoil but when controlled right, it can destroy your enemies with small controlled bursts. This has become my go-to weapon and my #1 choice in countering the guys who still wish to continue their shotgunning habits from the past Gears games. The stopping power on this gun is ridiculous and will stop any charger in their tracks. If you're feeling lucky you can try out the charge ability by holding down B which makes you charge forward with your bayonet out. I suggest this gun for those who wish to fight in a medium to close range.

HAMMERBURST

The Gears 3 version of this may be my favorite.

This gun has seen the most revisions in all of the games. The Hammerburst has come a long way since Gears 1 and in Gears 3 it's actually not too bad. This gun gives you the ability to go into first-person and allows you to be more accurate than any of the other rifles. People who favor fighting from a long distance will get the most mileage out of this semi-automatic gun.

GNASHER

Former destroyer of worlds.

Oh yes, the Gnasher. This is the infamous shotgun that is responsible for nearly all of the kills in the past Gears games. It's versatile, can shoot many times before reloading, and can cause havoc from a medium range. One of the key skills that veteran Gears players have with this shotgun is being able to blindly shoot this thing accurately. You can save a lot of time by shooting this thing from the hip instead of actually aiming the gun, it's how people usually used the gun when in fights with multiple players. The Gnasher retains most of its dangerous capabilities from the past games, but thanks to EPIC’s choice to rebalance the other weapons and introduce some newcomers, the Gnasher will no longer be the only answer to every gunfight.

SAWED-OFF SHOTGUN

My new best friend.
    My new best friend.

This is a new addition which I completely love. I traded in my Gnasher for this monster mainly because I decided to move away from always fighting with shotguns. This gun can only shoot one round, but that one round is more than enough to get the job done...at the right range. The range on this thing is shit, mainly because it is intended to be used in up close and personal situations. Don't expect to be fighting waves of people with this gun because you also have to worry about the reload time, which is ridiculous. Those of you who like to use ‘hit and run’ tactics and/or camp around corners will probably like this thing a whole lot.

TRAVERSING THE BATTLEFIELD

Gear of War 3 is a faster game. People who are new to the series won’t notice it but when compared to the past games, you are able to haul ass now. Here are some tips on how to move efficiently through the warzone in hopes of extending your lifespan.

STAY ALERT

This may be obvious advice for any competitive game but it goes double for here. Guys can move faster now and they tend to be able to run without making a whole lot of noise. Don’t be surprised to find yourself exploding from the random shotgun blast to the back. Avoid this nuisance by always looking over your shoulder and keep tabs on any nearby enemies. Oh and be sure to be cautious when approaching a corner, there is a good chance that there is a guy waiting to shoot their sawed-off and kill you in one hit.

KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!

By pressing the back button and then B, you are able to access the map. This shows the location of every weapon spawn point and also displays the location of your teammates. This is helpful when you want to know were you are, where you might want to go, where the shortcuts are, and just how far you are from allies.

Pay attention or you may end up like her.

GET TACTICAL!

There is a neat little feature called the Tac-Com, which can be accessed by holding down LB. This gives you a new perspective of the battlefield with an aesthetic that is similar to Arkham Asylum's detective vision. Your teammate's locations will be highlighted and can be seen even through walls while the Tac-Com is active. It is also really useful in finding out where potential objectives are located when playing different game modes. Another neat trick is that you can use the Tac-Com to see right through smoke.

KEEP TABS ON YOUR TEAMMATES

Even though most games may consist of people with no mics, or maybe you just don’t want to talk, always know where your teammates are. You don’t want to find yourself surrounded by the wrong people. It is important that you stick close to another teammate so you can help avoid overwhelming gun fights. This doesn’t mean that you should never venture out by yourself, but if you do plan to go out scouting, make sure you’re at least in short running distance from a teammate.

Stay close!
    Stay close!

TAG YOU'RE IT!

While aiming the gun, you can point at enemies and click in the left stick to highlight them with a symbol. This can be seen by any ally and it's a great to provide information without having to use a mic. Get used to tagging enemies with this icon and you'll be grateful for it because you may be able to notice that there was a guy stalking you.

KEEP MOVING

There are few spots in the maps where you can entrench yourself and hold off opposition, this becomes even harder when trying to accomplish this alone. You’re better off staying mobile which helps to reduce the chance of being flanked. You are also more likely to find some unsuspecting enemies by staying on the move.

Gotta move!
    Gotta move!

GET FRIENDLY WITH THE 'A' BUTTON

Not only can this thing be used for taking cover, it allows you to roll. It’s not hard to figure this out but when used the right way it can be a life saver. One thing players should avoid is running in a straight line, you’re asking to be downed by gunfire faster. When taking fire while running, be sure to roll out of the way and try running in a new direction. Keep rolling in different directions if you still need to shake off that gunfire.

IT'S GETTING SMOKEY IN HERE

The smoke grenade is no longer a useless thing to have like in past games. The smoke grenade actually provides effective cover when trying to charge into contentious areas. Another cool feature is that the smoke grenade can momentarily stun people who are near enough to the grenade's explosion, but be warned, you can also end up stunning yourself.

KICK FOOLS!

In Gears 3, players can now perform a mantle kick. If you see a guy taking cover, you can chose to take cover on the opposite side and then jump over that cover to kick them out of the way. This will then stun the guy and give you enough time to eliminate him/her. This can also work in reverse where you can kick the guy that is going to take cover in front of you.

Like this but your foot is connecting to someone's face instead.

LET'S GET SENSITIVE!

Some people may not like the feel of it but I strongly suggest for people to increase the sensitivity of your controller. I chose to max out the sensitivity for every option available and I am now able to turn more easily and even have an easier time of taming the recoil of the Retro Lancer because of it. This may not be for some players but I suggest you try boosting up the sensitivity a tad and see how things go.

Hopefully some of this stuff will help you guys out. Feel free to post some other tips and tricks that can help people become better Gears players. Now go out there and have some fun!

Some nonsensical violent fun!

DON'T FIGHT ALONE

If there's one huge negative to playing Gears 3 MP, it's playing by yourself. Unfortunately playing with randoms will most likely result in you getting your kills stolen and not being revived.

So, check out Atomasist's list of Giant Bomb Gears 3 players. Here

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Afroman269
    No Caption Provided

The multiplayer in the past Gears of War games have a reputation of consisting of only hardcore players that roll around decimating the weak with shotguns. I was one of those crazy people who stayed with the game's multiplayer and I won't deny that the shotgun accusations are true. With that said, Gears of War 3 has finally provided the tools necessary for people to be able to even the playing field with something other than a shotgun. I aim to provide some info and strategies to help those who are unfamiliar with the game be better prepared and stay competitive in the multiplayer.

THE WEAPONS

Let's start out by talking about the weapons that you can spawn with.

LANCER

Ah yes, the classic Lancer. In Gears 3, the Lancer now has a larger magazine than ever before and can shoot with very little recoil. This gun is great for giving cover fire and forcing the enemy to take cover. The chainsaw has even been slightly tweaked so that once it is fully revved up, the only way to shut off the chainsaw is to either die or let go of the B button. If you manage to chainsaw a guy you can still continue to hold down B and continue to chainsaw any nearby enemies without ever having to turn off the chainsaw. It can get pretty crazy if no one is able to put you down. This is a great weapon for beginners.

RETRO LANCER

Now this gun is supposed to be the older version of the Lancer and has a knife bayonet attached to the gun instead of a chainsaw. This rifle is the most powerful out of the three you can get, but it is also the one with the most recoil. The gun has been tweaked since the beta and now has even more recoil but when controlled right, it can destroy your enemies with small controlled bursts. This has become my go-to weapon and my #1 choice in countering the guys who still wish to continue their shotgunning habits from the past Gears games. The stopping power on this gun is ridiculous and will stop any charger in their tracks. If you're feeling lucky you can try out the charge ability by holding down B which makes you charge forward with your bayonet out. I suggest this gun for those who wish to fight in a medium to close range.

HAMMERBURST

This gun has seen the most revisions in all of the games. The Hammerburst has come a long way since Gears 1 and in Gears 3 it's actually not too bad. This gun gives you the ability to go into first-person and allows you to be more accurate than any of the other rifles. People who favor fighting from a long distance will get the most mileage out of this semi-automatic gun.

GNASHER

Oh yes, the Gnasher. This is the infamous shotgun that is responsible for nearly all of the kills in the past Gears games. It's versatile, can shoot many times before reloading, and can cause havoc from a medium range. One of the key skills that veteran Gears players have with this shotgun is being able to blindly shoot this thing accurately. You can save a lot of time by shooting this thing from the hip instead of actually aiming the gun, it's how people usually used the gun when in fights with multiple players. The Gnasher retains most of its dangerous capabilities from the past games, but thanks to EPIC’s choice to rebalance the other weapons and introduce some newcomers, the Gnasher will no longer be the only answer to every gunfight.

SAWED-OFF SHOTGUN

My new best friend.
    My new best friend.

This is a new addition which I completely love. I traded in my Gnasher for this monster mainly because I decided to move away from always fighting with shotguns. This gun can only shoot one round, but that one round is more than enough to get the job done...at the right range. The range on this thing is shit, mainly because it is intended to be used in up close and personal situations. Don't expect to be fighting waves of people with this gun because you also have to worry about the reload time, which is ridiculous. Those of you who like to use ‘hit and run’ tactics and/or camp around corners will probably like this thing a whole lot.

TRAVERSING THE BATTLEFIELD

Gear of War 3 is a faster game. People who are new to the series won’t notice it but when compared to the past games, you are able to haul ass now. Here are some tips on how to move efficiently through the warzone in hopes of extending your lifespan.

STAY ALERT

This may be obvious advice for any competitive game but it goes double for here. Guys can move faster now and they tend to be able to run without making a whole lot of noise. Don’t be surprised to find yourself exploding from the random shotgun blast to the back. Avoid this nuisance by always looking over your shoulder and keep tabs on any nearby enemies. Oh and be sure to be cautious when approaching a corner, there is a good chance that there is a guy waiting to shoot their sawed-off and kill you in one hit.

KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!

By pressing the back button and then B, you are able to access the map. This shows the location of every weapon spawn point and also displays the location of your teammates. This is helpful when you want to know were you are, where you might want to go, where the shortcuts are, and just how far you are from allies.

GET TACTICAL!

There is a neat little feature called the Tac-Com, which can be accessed by holding down LB. This gives you a new perspective of the battlefield with an aesthetic that is similar to Arkham Asylum's detective vision. Your teammate's locations will be highlighted and can be seen even through walls while the Tac-Com is active. It is also really useful in finding out where potential objectives are located when playing different game modes. Another neat trick is that you can use the Tac-Com to see right through smoke.

KEEP TABS ON YOUR TEAMMATES

Even though most games may consist of people with no mics, or maybe you just don’t want to talk, always know where your teammates are. You don’t want to find yourself surrounded by the wrong people. It is important that you stick close to another teammate so you can help avoid overwhelming gun fights. This doesn’t mean that you should never venture out by yourself, but if you do plan to go out scouting, make sure you’re at least in short running distance from a teammate.

Stay close!
    Stay close!

TAG YOU'RE IT!

While aiming the gun, you can point at enemies and click in the left stick to highlight them with a symbol. This can be seen by any ally and it's a great to provide information without having to use a mic. Get used to tagging enemies with this icon and you'll be grateful for it because you may be able to notice that there was a guy stalking you.

KEEP MOVING

There are few spots in the maps where you can entrench yourself and hold off opposition, this becomes even harder when trying to accomplish this alone. You’re better off staying mobile which helps to reduce the chance of being flanked. You are also more likely to find some unsuspecting enemies by staying on the move.

Gotta move!
    Gotta move!

GET FRIENDLY WITH THE 'A' BUTTON

Not only can this thing be used for taking cover, it allows you to roll. It’s not hard to figure this out but when used the right way it can be a life saver. One thing players should avoid is running in a straight line, you’re asking to be downed by gunfire faster. When taking fire while running, be sure to roll out of the way and try running in a new direction. Keep rolling in different directions if you still need to shake off that gunfire.

IT'S GETTING SMOKEY IN HERE

The smoke grenade is no longer a useless thing to have like in past games. The smoke grenade actually provides effective cover when trying to charge into contentious areas. Another cool feature is that the smoke grenade can momentarily stun people who are near enough to the grenade's explosion, but be warned, you can also end up stunning yourself.

KICK FOOLS!

In Gears 3, players can now perform a mantle kick. If you see a guy taking cover, you can chose to take cover on the opposite side and then jump over that cover to kick them out of the way. This will then stun the guy and give you enough time to eliminate him/her. This can also work in reverse where you can kick the guy that is going to take cover in front of you.

LET'S GET SENSITIVE!

Some people may not like the feel of it but I strongly suggest for people to increase the sensitivity of your controller. I chose to max out the sensitivity for every option available and I am now able to turn more easily and even have an easier time of taming the recoil of the Retro Lancer because of it. This may not be for some players but I suggest you try boosting up the sensitivity a tad and see how things go.

Hopefully some of this stuff will help you guys out. Feel free to post some other tips and tricks that can help people become better Gears players. Now go out there and have some fun!

DON'T FIGHT ALONE

If there's one huge negative to playing Gears 3 MP, it's playing by yourself. Unfortunately playing with randoms will most likely result in you getting your kills stolen and not being revived.

So, check out Atomasist's list of Giant Bomb Gears 3 players. Here

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Pro Tip: If it comes down to 1 on 1, pay attention to that time limit.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

When I do eventually get Gears 3, I'll more than likely still be stuck with my poor-ass SILVER sheen, so a lot of this probably won't ever apply for me. Non the less, a good and well detailed read. Definitely should go up on the ''rad community stuff'' tab.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By cap123

Thanks, I'm getting gears on sunday and i've always been shit at it. Bookmarked!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Afroman269

@Abyssfull: The game comes with a 48 hour code, it's not much but I guess it's something. I'm not sure if it's in the standard copies but if it isn't hit me up with a pm and I'll send you mine, if I still have it. Oh and thanks.

@Slaker117 said:

Pro Tip: If it comes down to 1 on 1, pay attention to that time limit.

Take the pussy way out and hide until the timer expires. Great way to create a new round for more potential kills.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Very informative. I've never gotten into Gears online until Horde mode so I stay aways from the normal version but this might make want to do it, seeing how the retro lancer can stop someone with the gnasher. The shotguns in this game kept me away from the normal multiplayer. BTW, that last pic is awesome.
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Burns09

The retro lancer can be a goddamn road block if you use it correctly.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Hizang

This was really helpful, I've never played Gears online before. Thanks for making me suck less!

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

The Retro Lancer is also amazing in close range when firing from the hip, you can down people real fast just doing that. Also I'm one of those people that think the Sawed-Off Shotgun should be a weapon you pick up because man, can people camp with that thing.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlightConfuse

i love the gears multiplayer, its a shame i wont be able to get into this for a while. i have always favored the hammerburst over the lancer but the retro lancer looks fun.

Nice Tips

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Thanks for this. I'm planing on playing multiplayer a fair amount once i'm done with the campaign. I was surprised how much I enjoyed what I played of it. Much more fun was had then my brief time trying gears 2 online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I personally find the double-barrled shotgun to be a very cheap weapon. Confrontation with it leads to an automatic, unavoidable death.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

How do I get over the hurdle of being terrified by people who have been playing this game for years and will literally rape me with a chainsaw.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Enigma777

I followed your guide word-for-word and now I suck a lot more. I demand a refund!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Afroman269

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

I personally find the double-barrled shotgun to be a very cheap weapon. Confrontation with it leads to an automatic, unavoidable death.

Umm, that's the point, which is why the gun can only shoot one round and is saddled with an insane reload time. You're not supposed to try to fight these guys up close, counter with a Hammerburst.

@LordXavierBritish said:

How do I get over the hurdle of being terrified by people who have been playing this game for years and will literally rape me with a chainsaw.

Picture them naked.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Burns09

I really don't see why people think the sawed off is overpowered. Yes it can kill you one shot, but you have to be right next the the guy when he shoots you. Keep your distance, the gnasher has a greater range then it so its not like you cant fight it at close range. if you see a sawed off user coming for you all you have to do is roll backwards and your out of his killing range. And if you're dumb enough to to walk right up to him in a fight its your own fault if you get plastered all over a wall.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexW00d

From the mouth of the Cliffster himself: Aim. That's how you will kill people with guns.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ares42

@Burns09 said:

I really don't see why people think the sawed off is overpowered. Yes it can kill you one shot, but you have to be right next the the guy when he shoots you. Keep your distance, the gnasher has a greater range then it so its not like you cant fight it at close range. if you see a sawed off user coming for you all you have to do is roll backwards and your out of his killing range. And if you're dumb enough to to walk right up to him in a fight its your own fault if you get plastered all over a wall.

I don't really think it's the damage of the thing that gives it the bad rep, it's the lack of any need to aim.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigsmoke77

The stick with teammates is a key tip, unless you are good at traversing the map and picking off the opposing team one by one.

Avatar image for boxing_snatcher
    Boxing_Snatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Boxing_Snatcher

@AlexW00d said:

From the mouth of the Cliffster himself: Aim. That's how you will kill people with guns.

This is more helpful than people think. Ive seen so many people not aim and then hear them get pissed when they miss.

Also if you get down to say a 1 vs 6. Ask your team where the other guys are at. They will get cocky if they see everyone dead but you. It is a great time to pull a strategy out off your ass. Experience helps though. God I love my Clutch ribbons. Those are the gears moments to end all gears moments.

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

Thanks for this. I tried the multi yesterday and got wrecked, maybe I'll give it another go with your advice

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arker101

I would add that spotting is always helpful. Like you said, people aren't always playing with mics, so the more that your team is aware of, the less deaths you'll all have overall.

Those are pretty good guidelines. I never got into Gears 2 Multiplayer, but since the beta I've become enthralled with the finer tactics of Gears 3. Such as wall bouncing and the TTK of weapons. I know those kind of things are more for the hardcore, and I can't really wall bounce with proficiency, but the more you know...

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By swoxx
    Munro77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Munro77

Surprised by the lack of "Use the Left Bumber (LB)" in this thread. It works like the single player, and shows you where the weapon spawns are and where all of your live teammates are in sort of a wireframe overview. It is really helpful to find the good guys on your team and stick by them while you are getting better at the game (also removes a lot of need for in game map checking)...

PS First post...

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By left4doof

@Afroman269: Cool guide duder.Though you failed to mention right hand advantage.

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hi_Voltg3

Good read. I'm trying to find a happy balance between my starting load out and find myself more deadly with a Retro Lancer. I need to play the multi more though, I do find it pretty fun this time around.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @Burns09 said:
    I have had no issues with others using the sawed-off, generally if i get killed by one its because I wasn't paying attention. I still have issues with the Gnasher but whatever that was never going to change since it would alienate 90% of the people how play Gears online.  The retro lancer is a bullet eating beast of a gun, my only issue with it is that its way too tempting to run screaming at enemies with the blade out and get blasted int eh face by a shotgun. So so tempting.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Afroman269
    @Arker101@Munro77 Ah yes, the tactical view and spotting. I wrote this at 3 in the morning so it slipped my mind. I'll edit the blog to add these things cuz ya, they are helpful.
    Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

Spot. Then Spot some more. Not shooting a guy? Spot them. Then start shooting them. It helps your teammates out, and even if you don't get the kill, you're still getting rewarded for helping the team. Gears is a lot less about individual performance and more about how the team works together. I can place in the top half of a table, or even MVP, with less kills or downs than other people on my team, because I'm constantly spotting and picking up assist points.

Use Smoke wisely. Smoke Grenades are great at covering a push by your team, or making a big distraction. if you know there's a sniper watching an area of the map, throw some smoke grenades ahead of you as you move between cover. If the enemy team is cooped up in one area (like snipe on Gridlock, or the balcony on Mercy), toss a smoke grenade on them, and then run in and use the distraction to get some shotgun or chainsaw kills.

Know when to switch between your Rifle and your Shotgun. It can seem unfair when a dude rolls into you and then turns your torso into a pulpy mess with a shotgun instantly with no time for you to change weapons, but you need to learn to adapt and anticipate when it comes to what range you're fighting in. If you think/know there's some enemies near your area, switch to your shotgun just in case they're hiding round a corner - if they're further away than you thought you can always drop into cover and switch to your rifle.

I've not played Gears MP before 3, so I'm probably about as low as you can get in skill, but by following these tips I've been able to hold my own against Gears vets fairly well!

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Druminator

I've found spotting comes in handy in a lot of cases. Although I get my ass handed to me just about every game it's still pretty fun. Nice tips.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Great guide, very helpful. I've been a Gears fan since the first game but I've never been able to get into the multiplayer because of the hardcore "shotgun" players. But with Gears 3 I find myself having a lot more fun with it and actually getting some kills. I think I'll take your advice on increasing the sensitivity.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ramone

I'm a traditionalist (I roll out with a Lancer and Gnasher) and I've got to say that combo still works. Alot of the battles in Gears come down to who hits with the first shot (especially Gnasher battles). One of the other vital parts of Gears multiplayer is identifying which weapon an opponent is using. If you see a guy using a Lancer of either variety stay in cover and don't run directly at them, if you see someone with a Double Barrelled Shotgun try to bait them into firing then kill them while they reload. And possibly one the most important points is to stay patient.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I usually try to end up with a Retro and normal Lancer in Horde games, the guns feel so fun to shoot.

You're spot on tho, teamwork will always prevail, as will caution.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JokerFrown

@Afroman269: Beautifully written my friend. I still prefer the Gnasher to the Sawn-Off as I prefer the multiple shots. Cant wait to either shoot you or team with you in the near future.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Afroman269

Likewise and thanks!

@left4doof said:

@Afroman269: Cool guide duder.Though you failed to mention right hand advantage.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm guessing you're referring to the extra view you have on the right side of the character which allows you to hide behind a corner and also see what's going on around said corner.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Afroman269 said:

Likewise and thanks!

@left4doof said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm guessing you're referring to the extra view you have on the right side of the character which allows you to hide behind a corner and also see what's going on around said corner.

He is also probably referring to the advantage right-handed people have in chainsaw duels. I'm a lefty and hence I lose at those fairly often because my right hand isn't near as fast as my left at hitting buttons.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Afroman269

@MariachiMacabre: Followed, again.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TooSweet

Sweet. I'll try it out. Haven't had much experience with the multiplayer aspect except a bit in part one with only a handful of people.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Edin899

FORGET EVERYTHING THIS GUY SAID!

95% of you will suck at gears and keep sucking because you don't want to learn how to use the gnasher.

Dodge and roll with it while firing. And get used to shooting from the hip.

You will tear apart teams of up to 5 people by yourself!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Afroman269

@Edin899 said:

95% of you will suck at gears and keep sucking because you don't want to learn how to use the gnasher.

Old habits die hard, eh?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Slaker117
    @Edin899 said:

I don't know man, I've been pretty horrible in the past Gears games do to all the shotgun rushers, but here I seem to be holding my own fine with the retro and sawed-off.
    left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By left4doof

@MariachiMacabre: Nope Afro was correct the first time.

@Afroman269: Also wall bouncing can be useful

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Edin899

@Afroman269 said:

@Edin899 said:

Old habits die hard, eh?

Old habits indeed. I was one of the few who played gears of war 1 for years. Got my seriously, Got into the leaderboards at place 250.

I loved the shotgun. Then came gears of war 2. That game was horrible. Now gears is back to its prime. Where people like me can go crazy with our shotties !

I freaking love it. Just taking out people with 1 shot. Even the noobs who carry the saw off. No offense bro.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Edin899

@Slaker117: I think using the gnasher takes the most skill in the game. The aiming and dodging.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Afroman269

@Slaker117 said:

@Edin899 said:

I don't know man, I've been pretty horrible in the past Gears games do to all the shotgun rushers, but here I seem to be holding my own fine with the retro and sawed-off.

His post just reminds me of how everyone in the past games played. People can go ahead and keep doing that nonsense. It just gives me more kills because I will fuck up those people with my retro.

@left4doof: I don't really like wall bouncing, I prefer to counter those people with my sawed-off.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Edin899

@Afroman269 said:

@Slaker117 said:

@Edin899 said:

His post just reminds me of how everyone in the past games played. People can go ahead and keep doing that nonsense. It just gives me more kills because I will fuck up those people with my retro.

@left4doof: I don't really like wall bouncing, I prefer to counter those people with my sawed-off.

You can't do anything with your Retro when i'm already 2 feet alway from you. Yes you can spray but a good shotgun player will down you in 1 or 2 shots.

And Epic is pretty smart but sometimes i hate them. The sawed off is so cheap. it gives noobs who have no chance in getting kills a way to get a kill.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Edin899 said:

@Afroman269 said:

@Slaker117 said:

@Edin899 said:

You can't do anything with your Retro when i'm already 2 feet alway from you. Yes you can spray but a good shotgun player will down you in 1 or 2 shots.

And Epic is pretty smart but sometimes i hate them. The sawed off is so cheap. it gives noobs who have no chance in getting kills a way to get a kill.

That's the point. Introducing an element into a game that would otherwise throw off the other more experienced gamers, while having an inherent flaw (reloading time), was the right choice. This is just an example of the more accomplished people shying away because someone might have ruined their kill/death ratio with one shot. If you simply want more maps to play on, I hear Gears 2 Extra-Glitch Roll-Then-Shootz Edition is coming soon.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Afroman269

@Edin899 said:

@Slaker117: I think using the gnasher takes the most skill in the game. The aiming and dodging.

You're actually right, it's why new players could never get into Gears 1 and 2. I was right there with you rolling and shooting. Sure you can keep doing that in knowledgeable Gears 3. You'll get kills but the more knowledgeable people will know how to counter you people.

@Edin899 said:

You're presuming that you're going to be close to me. I tend to prevent that situation from happening. Also calling people who use sawed-off 'noobs' is childish. There are plenty of ways to counter the gun. I just use it because I will only use my shotgun in extreme situations. I rely on my retro. Also saying to disregard my advice in favor of your strategy in favor of yours is just arrogant. Gears 3 allows multiple strategies to coexist. I prefer to avoid narrow thinking and choose to broaden my abillities by trying out other strategies.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

those sound like some great tips I'll keep those in mind

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.