Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War: Ascension

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

Before he was a God, Kratos was a man. A prequel, God of War: Ascension is the fourth major title of the God of War series, and Kratos' final outing on the PS3. It is the first to include a multiplayer component.

Reviews are coming in.

• 86 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

As long as the campaign is being praised then that's all I care about. Ain't touching the multiplayer.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yummylee

As expected, it's a very well made game with everything people associate with God of War warts and all ect. I've still currently had my fill and them some of God of War, but I'll be probably giving it a spin sometime during this year no doubt.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Adam Sessler also released his video review for Rev3Games:

Loading Video...

While I don't feel as strong as he does about the "trophy" naming, I applaud the man for actually speaking his mind with reasoned logic. It actually makes a review worth listening to/reading.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They are? New God of War is coming out next week? I thought it was much later in the year.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yummylee
    @andorski said:

Loading Video...

While I don't feel as strong as he does about the "trophy" naming, I applaud the man for actually speaking his mind with reasoned logic. It actually makes a review worth listening to/reading.

Hahahahaha... I can already envision a lot of complaints are going to crop up about that trophy. Yeah, that was... oh boy.

Anywhoo I can definitely relate to Adam's complaint about the scale distorting the actual gameplay, as I felt the same thing just by playing the demo. I'm also surprised that they've opted to just cut out secondary weapons altogether and have instead increased Kratos' blades moveset. It's kinda clever actually since you always use the blades and nothing but anyway, so good on them for that.

edit: Sessler framed the multiplayer to look surprisingly fun too, if chaotic. Basically an even more violent and brutal Anarchy Reigns.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

They are? New God of War is coming out next week? I thought it was much later in the year.

Sony's marketing wins again!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winternet said:

Sony's marketing wins again!

There were plenty of trailers, it's just barely anybody on GB really cared or paid much attention. They put up a super bowl trailer or something after all.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Polygon gave the game a 7 praising (for the lack) the multiplayer and damning (of better words) the singleplayer. They brought up that Bros before Hoes trophy to saying it's bad, bla bla bla. I understand why people would be mad but I don't really care for it. But that's a whole other topic. I'm guessing the game will be getting mostly 7-8's across the board.

Anyways, I'm not excited for the game but I always like me some new games. Can't wait to pick up my CE on Tuesday.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    @awesomeusername said:

@yummylee: Polygon gave the game a 7 praising (for the lack) the multiplayer and damning (of better words) the singleplayer. They brought up that Bros before Hoes trophy to saying it's bad, bla bla bla. I understand why people would be mad but I don't really care for it. But that's a whole other topic. I'm guessing the game will be getting mostly 7-8's across the board.

Anyways, I'm not excited for the game but I always like me some new games. Can't wait to pick up my CE on Tuesday.

Pretty much. Hopefully Judgment will receive a similar level of reception too.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By shivermetimbers

I must admit, though I don't care for GoW anymore, I might be checking this out later this year.

Actually nevermind, if there's a trophy called "bros before hoes" the game is ruined for me...

But seriously, I might pick it up when there's a sale or something. The trophy name is gonna get a lot of hate, though.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @awesomeusername said:

Pretty much. Hopefully Judgment will receive the same level of reception too.

Probably will. By this point, both the games are really unnecessary and no one besides hardcore fans are really excited. I'm expecting most reviews to just shrug, say it's more of the same and give it an 8 tops just because they look great, play great and have some fine multiplayer.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

If a name of a trophy sours an entire game for you then you've got issues son. I usually respect Sessler but I dunno man sometimes.....

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: They're undoubtedly two of the safest games to be released this year in any case; they exist purely as a means to capitalise on the large number of PS3 & 360s out there before next-gen. Still, Ascension is at least is far from a quick cash grab, even if it's lacking in creativity.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By laserbolts

Had no idea it was coming out soon. I dont watch much TV though so I guess it's my fault. After wtaching the Sessler review it certainly looks nice but I have never been able to get into the god of war games. Oh man I am so not looking forward to the internet drama that that trophy name is sure to create. I predict 3 or 4 articles from Patrick about it in the next couple weeks.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By notdavid

I feel like I have no idea what this game actually is. Is the campaign a traditional GoW game? I thought the whole game was just Power Stone.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a name of a trophy sours an entire game for you then you've got issues son. I usually respect Sessler but I dunno man sometimes.....

It didn't sour the entire game for him, it was just something he thought was egregious enough to point out. Besides while it wouldn't have made me just drop my pad on the floor and turn the console off out of disgust or something, I can definitely see why someone may (and will... and has... and.. well, y'know) be offended by it. It's pretty crass and unnecessary, even for a series like God of War. As said earlier, I imagine this will possibly be making a few headlines down the road.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what's the what with the trophy?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notdavid said:

I feel like I have no idea what this game actually is. Is the campaign a traditional GoW game? I thought the whole game was just Power Stone.

You couldn't have read or watched any of the reviews already linked in here? Yes, it's a traditional GoW game, just now with some goofy multiplayer brawler add-on.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee
    @winternet said:

Goddamnit, why can't we edit our posts to reply to multiple users??... Anywhoo just watch the Sessler review above.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too short.

Will buy for 20 bucks on Amazon.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeeeeeesh. That trophy is pretty gross. Other than that really dumb thing, the game looks pretty okay.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

why? Leaving aside the misogyny of it... That'd sour me on it because if they think so little of their story that they have to make terrible fratboy jokes about it, then why would I care about it?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @winternet said:

Goddamnit, why can't we edit our posts to reply to multiple users??... Anywhoo just watch the Sessler review above.

Man, do I have to? Okay.

Whhaat! It's just because it's called "Bros before hos"? Dude, even Dr. House said that at some point.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love Adam. ~ The game seems all sorts of hmm... My friend would wanna see it, though.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

why? Leaving aside the misogyny of it... That'd sour me on it because if they think so little of their story that they have to make terrible fratboy jokes about it, then why would I care about it?

Aside from the misogynistic tint I don't see why this game is getting called out for it. PLENTY of games have stupid-ass groan worthy achievement names. I just don't see where the discussion value in it is. Sure its something that when it pops up you'd probably shake your head and think to yourself that its stupid but again if your going to discount the entire game or story because of it that is just straight up dumb.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Winternet

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

Aside from the misogynistic tint I don't see why this game is getting called out for it. PLENTY of games have stupid-ass groan worthy achievement names. I just don't see where the discussion value in it is. Sure its something that when it pops up you'd probably shake your head and think to yourself that its stupid but again if your going to discount the entire game or story because of it that is just straight up dumb.

Also, if you're playing a game with achievements pop-ups, doesn't that mean you're not that really immersed in the story in the first place?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winternet: I dunno about that cause I don't think there is even a way to disable that on the PS3.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrfluke

@yummylee said:
    @andorski said:

Loading Video...

Hahahahaha... I can already envision a lot of complaints are going to crop up about that trophy. Yeah, that was... oh boy.

oh yaaa, once footage of said thing makes the rounds its will potentially cause a big shitstorm.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Winternet
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

your totally right, its super dumb , but once footage of that fight and that trophy makes the rounds, it seems very poised to cause a big shitstorm,

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By MocBucket62

Saw the Sessler review earlier and I agree, the trophy name is kind of stupid, but at the same time, it seems like other games have make dumb achievements before so I guess Ascension isn't alone.

The game seems alright.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winternet said:

@demoskinos: Really? That's odd. That can't be right.

He is right.

Man, the PS3 sucks. Although if you're playing without it being connected to the Internet, the trophies are disabled, right?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

How have I not heard of this game until this very moment? My own obliviousness is impressive.

But hey, another God of War. Cool? Who am I kidding, I won't play it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

name one that wants me to take it's story seriously.

portal doesn't count

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

Also, if you're playing a game with achievements pop-ups, doesn't that mean you're not that really immersed in the story in the first place?

Nope.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review by Sessler. I'm basically done with the series but the game looks great but I did groan when he showed that achievement. Really guys? So stupid.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@yummylee said:
    @winternet said:

Man, do I have to? Okay.

Whhaat! It's just because it's called "Bros before hos"? Dude, even Dr. House said that at some point.

I think it's because it's named that after Kratos savagely beats down a woman with his fists like he did Poseidon or Helios or whatever. Did House do that too? Haha.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh....I'll wait this one out. I wasn't exactly blown away by the demo nor the beta.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, the PS3 sucks. Although if you're playing without it being connected to the Internet, the trophies are disabled, right?

Nope. Some people may not like trophies/achievements popping up while playing a game but some do. That doesn't make the PS3 "suck". Unless you're just saying that because you're annoyed by the lack of that feature.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what, I played the demo and sort of don't care if it's more of the same, I could use some God of War.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

@animasta said:

@demoskinos said:

name one that wants me to take it's story seriously.

portal doesn't count

What a game with stupid trophy names that wants to be taken seriously?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: well, it sucks that it doesn't have the ability to not pop-up while you're playing.

@wrighteous86: He probably did. From what I understand, if the trophy was called "I love pancakes" no one would have a problem with it, so the naming seems to be the crux of the problem.

@laserbolts: Well, it's like watching a movie and checking your phone for messages. But, that's my opinion.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The trophy name shows no class. The single player looks boring. I have no interest in multiplayer. No thanks.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Wait, isn't it kinda worrying that a game touted for its multiplayer isn't reviewing well in terms of said multiplayer? Or am I way off base with this?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Animasta

@demoskinos: that's directly relating to the game though, in that it's very dark humor. it is at least in spirit with the game, whereas bros before hos is not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.