Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 20, 2018

God of War is a soft reboot on the franchise of the same name. It sees Kratos and his son Atreus traverse a world of Norse myths.

Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology on sale on Audible

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Sorry if this is against the rules, but I just got an email from Audible about their “editor’s choice” sale going on and Norse Mythology is $6.95 for today only. I haven’t read it, so I can’t vouch for it, but it seems to come up a lot during discussions of God of War. I figured somebody might be interested in checking it out, especially if it’s on sale. Again, the sale ends today and I think you may have to be member already...

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By hermes

Its a pretty good book, and one of the only ones (the only, as far as I know) that gives Norse mythology a nice overall narrative. Barlog never mentioned it, but it seems clear there are some inspirations drawn...

Good tip...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I really enjoyed reading "The Viking Spirit: An Introduction to Norse Mythology and Religion" by Daniel McCoy. He both includes a narrative along with real world historical context and explanation. I much prefer that to Gaiman's straight fiction writing.

PapaScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good call. I picked up this Norse Mythology audiobook shortly after starting God of War. I enjoyed the book and in turn I’m enjoying God of War even more now that I know some backstory on the Norse characters. It’s 6.5 hours of audio. I would recommend it. I’ve actually almost finished my second play through, I have a lot of time for audio while working haha.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks for the heads up. Love Gaiman, and this seems like a perfect time to check this one out.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book and it's a really easy read that contextualizes a lot of stuff from the game and hints at where sequels might go. Highly recommended if you want something written for a modern audience that establishes most of the big-picture stuff in the mythology.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By avantegardener

This also a great read, and I suspect also on Cory Barlog night stand: Mythology.

PS: I've just got mad hankering rewatch 13th warrior, which is reminder of time of time when Crighton didn't have to set everything in theme park.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.