Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Alright Rockstar. Lesson learned.

DjDonFrancisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So tonight I decided to take time away from the rampant violence of GTA:O. I figured a game of tennis would be a nice change of pace, and it was, until I was about to serve up for the match point. This'll be easy I thought. Then I saw it. "Player has left the game". "Wrrrrrry?" I cried. But wait, surely I'll get some sort of payout for this. Nope. Just got kicked back into the lobby. So thanks Rockstar. I learned my lesson. And I'll spread the news about my findings. Don't waste your time with tennis or golf duders. Doing so is a fools errand.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't waste your time with tennis or golf duders. Doing so is a fools errand.

All around good life lesson there.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By morningstar
    @djdonfrancisco said:

Don't waste your time with tennis or golf duders. Doing so is a fools errand.

All around good life lesson there.

It's how I've lived my life up to this point.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I got an eagle on the first hole of golf online and everyone else left afterward. Motherfuckers.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I dunno why this is still a thing. If a player leaves, the win goes to the player who stays. There should be a way to tell if a player left or was disconnected. If they were disconnected, give em some time to rejoin, and if they don't, the other player wins.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

Yeah, better play those with a friend. They are more fun that way. If you're playing on PS3, add me and we can play golf. Still haven't tried to play that online yet. My username is Alexxator.

DjDonFrancisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Yeah, you'd think that this practically universal gaming issue would be solved. But no. You get a slap on the wrist for quitting and nothing for staying. It pretty much renders the point of those activities useless.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I played one game of tennis and it was painfully boring. Golf is okay, but the same nine holes over and over doesn't sound appealing. After trying them out once I don't think I will ever go back to them, but knowing how long those games can take I can see how this would be really frustrating.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

I managed a full game of Golf with some randoms once. It was my first time playing as I never tired it in single player and for the first time I appreciated the constant tutorial boxes.

Another time I was playing tennis with a guy from the bombcrew and was leading pretty much 6-0 and he left. That was kind of lame.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

During my first game of golf online with @n7, we met someone who was actually a pretty cool fella; seemed rather mellow and down to earth, and not, say, a raging homophobic racist pile of scum.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theht said:

I dunno why this is still a thing.

Unfortunately this is repeated time and again by Rockstar with GTAV. Oddly they've decided to ignore such easy lessons and have done nothing to address the situation. It's a real shame.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Maajin

I played a pretty great tennis match with a friend once. And I don't think I ever want to do that again.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djdonfrancisco: even when i'm winning, i get disconnected from the tennis and/or golf session pretty much every time. it always seems to happen near the end of the round of golf or in the last set of tennis.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

Ill take golf and tennis requests from fellow duders. I agree though most random aren't worth bothering. Once they start losing they quit.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ey...driving a ball in golf is pretty satisfying.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

It's stuff like this that really reminds me how tacked on GTA:O actually feels.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan

Why, if someone leaves the game, is the remaining person not given a forfeit based win? Oh wait, its probably to prevent friends from collaborating to rack up wins in these activities. Would a punitive system be better then? If someone leaves the game could they be punished by barring them from playing in those events for a while? People with a legitimate reason for having to leave the game would complain and cause a big stink. Hmmm...to not be penalized, would a text message have to be sent by the leaving player with an excuse of some kind? Difficult to implent properly. A reporting function with the stats of the game that could automatically show that a leaving player left immediately after being disadvantaged by the score, or just before losing? I don't know how that last option would work exactly but fuck it its the best idea I've got as I brain stream out onto this comment.

DjDonFrancisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Why, if someone leaves the game, is the remaining person not given a forfeit based win? Oh wait, its probably to prevent friends from collaborating to rack up wins in these activities. Would a punitive system be better then? If someone leaves the game could they be punished by barring them from playing in those events for a while? People with a legitimate reason for having to leave the game would complain and cause a big stink. Hmmm...to not be penalized, would a text message have to be sent by the leaving player with an excuse of some kind? Difficult to implent properly. A reporting function with the stats of the game that could automatically show that a leaving player left immediately after being disadvantaged by the score, or just before losing? I don't know how that last option would work exactly but fuck it its the best idea I've got as I brain stream out onto this comment.

Everyone has their reasons for having to quit a game early. Whether it be due to an un-forseen situation or from an act of sore losing. I personally have a kid. So i'll often have to step away amidst online play. It's not ideal for me but it comes with the responsibility of parenthood. A loss is a loss and i'll take one when i have to. Yea, the guy that i played against could have had a situation arise suddenly. It's totally possible. But it's also possible that he decided that he didn't want to take the loss and simply quit. In that situation, a quitting "block" could be put in place. If you're in the final round of any game type. Don't allow the person to quit. Or maybe prompt the player that "quitting at this point will be seen as a forfeit and considered a loss". This prevents players from mining wins by starting a match and quitting out immediately. You'll actually have to play the game to it's finish. Same with golf. Thats a long and tedious game. If i were to play a full 8 holes against a stranger only to see him quit and not be rewarded for my time spent playing YOUR game. I'd be pretty ticked.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

I played one game of Tennis with a guy and we had a perfectly serviceable time. Even though I was ahead we finished the game. It's okay. Not what I come to GTA for.

The biggest bummer is that you don't get the Strength Stat increase like you do in the single player game. It's really tedious having to increase Strength by punching random people in the street and avoiding the cops.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.