Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Anyone kinda disappointed by what we saw?

• 67 results
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themangalist

It's not crazy that GTA4 would be set in LA, i mean, rumours aside it's probably the most sane guess. But what disappointed me most was how Rockstar said they weren't going to move on to the next "number" unless they feel like it's a big enough leap. Well modelling a whole new city is an amazing feat, but judging from everything it still looks like a massive GTAIV mod. I love GTAIV, and I certainly don't mind getting more of the serious tone and lively urban areas. It's just that I was hoping this 4 to 5 leap would be a significant gameplay change or something that'd totally blow my mind. The trailer did not do that for me.

How bout you? Am I the only one sort of "unexcited"?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Deusx

It's not LA! It's Los Santos... Yeah it looks good but I don't feel exited just because I'm not in the mood for a GTA right now.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cincaid

@themangalist said:

Am I the only one sort of "unexcited"?

In Alex' post about the trailer I'd say about 90% of the comments are saying how little they care about GTAV. So no, I guess you're not.

Personally I can't wait for the game, I'm "super excited"!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Considering GTAIV is still the best game of this gen, I'd say you're crazy. A return to San Andreas seems delightful to me.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gabriel

If the Tommy and CJ rumors are true I'm 100% onboard, what did people expect? We are still in the same console generation.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RobertOrri

If the number is all that offends, you could try covering it up with a sticker.

They won't make the technical leap until new console hardware shows up. That should have been a given.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By samfo
    @TheGreatGuero: we are in the minority on this site, but i think alot of gbers are super negative about GTA for some reason. Over on reddit they are loving it, i agree with them.
    thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Im pretty excited for a new GTA game, but i am a little bummed because i was hoping for Vice City or a entirely new city

Bubbameister33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bubbameister33

What were you expecting from a trailer? Rockstar will always show you the trailer first and gameplay second. We don't really know anything other than it's in Los Santos and the narrator is having "GTA" related problems.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It seems safe thus far. I'm curious but far from excited.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Wraxend

My only gripe with GTAV is that its set in San Andreas, it's as if we are stuck in some weird loop of the local being Liberty, Vice or San Andreas. But then again I think Rockstar have done enought to prove them selves when it comes to making games. I just hope it stays away from the wacky and keeps it serious, leave the crazy stuff to Saints Row.

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By udabenshen

It's a GTA game. Nothing so far seems like they are taking any big chances. If they make it more mechanically sound than last time around, though, I will be much more interested. Gunplay that is AT LEAST as good as Red Dead. That's all I ask.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlightConfuse

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

It seems safe thus far. I'm curious but far from excited.

this, the trailer just told me GTA is back in california. we can speculate all we want but we dont know what is true. i enjoyed 4 a lot and hope to learn more. the premise of a mobster who made it big, retired and is forced back into the life appeals to me.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wickedsc3

Personally I just don't find GTA fun anymore. I've done all the stealing cars, picking up hookers, and outrunning cops that I wan't to do. So unless this game has some dramatic changes (which going back to an old location doesn't look like it is) I'm just not interested in it. But this is just a trailer so time will tell.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By MrOldboy

The aspect of playing a GTA game set in "LA" seems fun since I live here. But what has always bothered me the most about the GTA games is that their settings are based on real cities, yet they call them, the areas around them, streets, buildings, etc. by different names. For me at last it ruins the fun of running around this "real" city. I really was hoping Rockstar was going to get rid of its corny naming practices and get down to business in Tokyo or London and actually call it London or Tokyo. In the end it doesn't matter what city or name or anything Rockstar chooses since its fucking GTA, every game now and future has been set in stone and everyone who doesn't like it can go to hell, and buy the game anyways of course.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By dragonzord

Blame stagnated console hardware.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What excites me most is the potential story/themes revolving around our modern day depression. Its relevant and rife with opportunity for an unprecedented social commentary from a video game. 
    And running over more hookers.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Potter9156

We know next to nothing about this game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It definitely doesn't just look like a mod to me. It almost looks like it's running on a whole new engine, and if not, then they've certainly done a ton of work to it over the last couple of years.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam

I was a little let down at first because SA was such an obvious and safe choice. But the more I think about it, the more I get excited for this game.

Anyway, it's going to be a great game like every main GTA (yes, even GTA4... I really liked it) and like with every GTA I'm going to sink several dozens of hours into it.

I'm also glad that after the rather gritty GTA4, it looks like we'll get another "feel good"-GTA in the tradition of Vice City and San Andreas.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeGosot
    @themangalist said:
    It's just that I was hoping this 4 to 5 leap would be a significant gameplay change or something that'd totally blow my mind. The trailer did not do that for me.
    It's just a debut trailer. They didn't showed the MAIN CHARACTER, do you seriously expected them to show a big gameplay change that would blow your mind? Sorry for sounding like an asshole, but, i guess you just need to wait for more trailers.
    nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By nerdsbeware

It looked like another GTA game, which honestly, I'm kinda fine with. I'll probably get exactly what I want out of a GTA game from it, and that's ok. A new IP would be cool at some point but for now, I'm ok with what this is and will be.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Looks like there are plenty of homeless people to run over, and really that's all I need.

bereft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bereft

There seems to be an onset of GTA ennui at this point. Which is quite understandable, especially if you're not new to the franchise. I've been playing these games prior to the 3D transition and to be honest I struggled to find reason to play past GTAIV. GTAIV was a spectacular game, one where the narrative was actually pretty engaging, and which was stuffed full of lively, beautiful little details which enfleshed the cityscape, made it an organic entity. But where do you go from there? I mean, I watched the trailer as soon as it was made available and just ended up feeling as if it's just more of the same.

Then again, what else can they do? Saint's Row has the insanity route thoroughly covered, so if GTA went there, it'd end up a spinoff of its own spinoff. Change location? Country? Would that be much of a significant change?

For all intents and purposes, it will be a fine game with strong characters and a detailed narrative which will sell well, but which won't break any moulds in the process.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Subjugation

It's too early to declare that you are disappointed. Honestly, we don't even know anything yet. We saw a ~1 minute trailer.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aetheldod

Im a bit dissapointed that the female protagonist rumors werent true :( outside from that im open to more GTA
    Michaelblack18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Michaelblack18

i actually am excited for this i havn't played GTAIV yet and not playing it has made want to play 5 even more and going back to the san andreas area hell yes anyday of the week

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Ravenousrattler

i'm glad theres another gta game in the works, i'm not as excited as i was for the previous installments but that may change after more info comes out. Also skyrim coming out next week and saints row the third a few days after may have something to do with me not being as excited as before, too much on my mind.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ

You say you're disappointed because it looks too much like GTA IV even though it's an entirely new city, the graphics are improved and most importantly the fact that we've seen literally no gameplay? People sure are strange.

Kraank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kraank

I was semi excited for the trailer. Don't care one bit now. But we'll see once more gets released if that changes, hard to tell from one trailer.

In the trailer the guy said he had a family, I kinda hope they die early on so it won't be as weird if I go on a shooting spree and come home to lil jimmy and suzie lol.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SomeJerk

Anybody else wonder what in the fuck people were expecting from that trailer?

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bombHills

Yes and no. I am excited for a new GTA but I didn't find the visuals to be anything really special, but hey, that's what the next consoles are for.

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nickb64

I'm so pissed, I was hoping for a new GTA with BF3 like graphics. /s

But seriously, it looks cool, and if anything, I'm more interested in this one than GTAIV because I can relate to the locale better, being from Southern California. Pretty much what I liked about all the previous GTA games was just going around in the open environment and killing stuff and being kind of crazy for the hell of it. The story in IV was cool though as well, and the rumors of what this one will touch on make it seem very interesting.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AlexW00d

@MooseyMcMan said:

It definitely doesn't just look like a mod to me. It almost looks like it's running on a whole new engine, and if not, then they've certainly done a ton of work to it over the last couple of years.

How can you tell that from a pre-rendered trailer?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@AlexW00d said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

How can you tell that from a pre-rendered trailer?

What makes you think it's pre-rendered? When does RockStar ever put out pre-rendered footage? If they were going to make something pre-rendered, it would have looked better than that.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sayishere

I always get excited for GTA.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm always excited for GTA, I fucking drink GTA and eat it and inject it in my balls 

However, the trailer was not nearly as hard-hitting as a GTA trailer should be. It gave me this sense of.. I dunno, evolution, and not the awesome kind.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwilitEnd656

I'm... Indifferent? On one hand it's "oh, hey, another game from a group that could potentially put out a great game," and on the other is "I know next to absolutely nothing other than that bit of footage." Never really played San Andreas, or any other GTA other than IV, so it could just be me being unfamiliar with the series.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Masha2932

I'm super excited. It's okay to be unexcited maybe future previews will lift your excitement levels. 

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RsistncE

@TheGreatGuero said:

Considering GTAIV is still the best game of this gen, I'd say you're crazy. A return to San Andreas seems delightful to me.

lol wut

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kingzetta

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

What excites me most is the potential story/themes revolving around our modern day depression. Its relevant and rife with opportunity for an unprecedented social commentary from a video game. And running over more hookers.

yeah because social commentary is what I want from a videogame. If it's anything like 4, it'll be super liberal at that.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bwmcmaste

@slightconfuse said:

the premise of a mobster who made it big, retired and is forced back into the life appeals to me.

Correction: gangster instead of mobster.

You have literally just described every single GTA game in the franchise.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cornman89

Doubt you're the only one.

I, however, liked what I saw, and I'm really excited to learn more about it.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BBQBram

I'd wait until we learn more about the gameplay and the features before making those assumptions. And while it's still the Rage engine, you can definitely see vast improvements from IV to Red Dead to this. Especially the colour palette and heat wash look great, and they've gotten their stylized characters down a bit nicer this time. Animations too.

For me it's just the vibe man, that trailer felt so much like the complete opposite of IV. I come to a GTA game for the characters, the tone, the aesthetics of it all, so colour me pleased.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Three0neFive

More than anything I'm just happy this game actually has some fucking colour.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Looks a lot like GTA IV - That's not a good thing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@bwmcmaste said:

@slightconfuse said:

the premise of a mobster who made it big, retired and is forced back into the life appeals to me.

I've only played GTAIV, but Niko and Johnny most certainly don't start out as people who made it big. Only Luis approaches what was depicted in that trailer and even he wasn't all that rich.

I've never played San Andreas, so the trailer left me feeling as though they're targeting this game at people who have an affinity to that game, making me feel less interested in it.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Cincaid said:

@themangalist said:

Am I the only one sort of "unexcited"?

In Alex' post about the trailer I'd say about 90% of the comments are saying how little they care about GTAV. So no, I guess you're not.

Personally I can't wait for the game, I'm "super excited"!

Me too. It has been the perfect amount of time for another GTA game and I can't wait to play it. Hopefully the PC version won't be awful this time around.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fjordson

No way. The environments they showed were absolutely gorgeous. And it seems like a given that this is going to be similar to the PS2 San Andreas game, meaning multiple cities and countryside in between. That was one of the best parts about SA, the stuff outside of the urban areas.

And it was filled to the brim with little details and a wide variety of scenes. At this point, nobody builds a living world like Rockstar. I also like that the main character is possibly an older guy, already rich, presumably with kids and whatnot.

AND Rockstar used a bloody Small Faces song for the trailer. Doesn't get much better than that.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SlightConfuse

@bwmcmaste said:

@slightconfuse said:

no dude GTA 3, vice city and san andrea the characters are not rich and have a good life and are forced into crime again. they either have a debt are already on the wrong side. GTA 4 was about obtaining power.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.