Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Delaying GTA games

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dacnomaniac

Does nobody else kinda think that R* delays these games on purpose? I mean seriously, it happens all the time, and it gives them more time to hype the game...

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Almost every single big release is delayed once or twice these days. It's not just GTA.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dacnomaniac

@MariachiMacabre: i don't know, it's not just that. It's because it happens to almost every game in the franchise...was just a thought that dawned on me today

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Dacnomaniac said:

Does nobody else kinda think that R* delays these games on purpose?

As opposed to accidentally? "Well, we were planning on releasing it in May, but we accidentally hit the 9 key when entering the dates, and our Backspace key doesn't work, so we're going with September."

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Grissefar

@Dacnomaniac said:

Does nobody else kinda think that R* delays these games on purpose? I mean seriously, it happens all the time, and it gives them more time to hype the game...

Wow you're totally right, dude. It's totally a conspiracy, mahn.

Ha ! Ha !

Trust me, the last thing you want as a Rockstar executive is to delay a huge title like GTA V.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Yea, because the added hype will definitely make up for the massive amount of wages and overhead they'll have to pay for those extra months. They're delaying the game because there's still more work to do on it, simple as that.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @RollingZeppelin

Yea, because the added hype will definitely make up for the massive amount of wages and overhead they'll have to pay for those extra months. They're delaying the game because there's still more work to do on it, simple as that.

Yep. I can wait another 4 months for a product with fewer bugs. Really wish they'd done that for, say, Darksiders 2. Maybe I would have been able to finish it, then.
    Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Chemtrails

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By MildMolasses

Did they ever actually announce a May release date? Or was that just assumed because of the past few years of Rockstar releases? If they never did, it's not actually a delay

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@MildMolasses said:

Did they ever actually announce a May release date? Or was that just assumed because of the past few years of Rockstar releases? If they never did, it's not actually a delay

Yeah, I wasn't aware there was a previous release date until people started complaining about a delay.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dacnomaniac

@Video_Game_King: As in there are too many bugs and game breaking errors, that is what I thought accidentally would mean.

@MildMolasses: The didnt say May, this just said Spring. That's why some people are so 'dissapointed'. I kind of expected it wasn't gonna happen :P

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Dacnomaniac said:

If the consensus is true and new consoles are coming this fall, the last thing Rockstar would want is be releasing a last gen game in that time frame. So, I put forth that there are three possibilities regarding the reason for this delay.

1. Rockstar is also releasing a 60FPS/1080p version of the game for next gen systems and the delay is to keep the launch date for the separate versions closer together/the same day.
    2. New consoles are not coming out in 2013 and they wanted to move into the holiday release window.
    3. New consoles are coming out this holiday, but Rockstar was forced to push the release date anyway because the game would not be ready for a spring release.

I would say 1 and 3 are the most likely, but that's just me.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Collusion.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pr1mus

Isn't September spring in the southern hemisphere?

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Jerr

@MariachiMacabre said:

@RollingZeppelin

Yep. I can wait another 4 months for a product with fewer bugs. Really wish they'd done that for, say, Darksiders 2. Maybe I would have been able to finish it, then.

Same with Assassin's Creed 3. I would gladly trade my frustration toward that game for another few months prior to its release.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By VoshiNova

@Video_Game_King said:

@Dacnomaniac said:

As opposed to accidentally? "Well, we were planning on releasing it in May, but we accidentally hit the 9 key when entering the dates, and our Backspace key doesn't work, so we're going with September."

Right?

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kgb0515

Nah. I don't think they mean to do it. If anything, their main fault is that they are overly ambitious when releasing tentative release dates.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Nilazz

As long as it turns out to be a great game they can delay a couple of times without me getting too angry about it, there are other games to play.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By anywhereilay
    @RollingZeppelin said:

Exactly. It's simply too big a product with too much money going into it on a daily basis for a delay to be anything other than essential.
    Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dacnomaniac

@ll_Exile_ll: I can't remember where, but i'm sure there's an article somewhere saying that GTA V, is meant to pull a San Andreas, and end the console generation with a bang.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cubidog1

If the delay means that annoying bugs are getting ironed out and the whole thing is being polished, I'm fine with it. I probably will pre order GTA 5. I hope they make the multiplayer as fun as it was in GTA 4 and Red Dead Redemption. Now that I think about it, GTA 5 is the game I want to play the most this year. Well at least they can show off GTA 5 at conventions, get me even more pumped.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Snail

@Video_Game_King said:

@Dacnomaniac said:

Pretty sure he means that he thinks Rockstar may intentionally announce an unrealistic release date to get people hyped for the game, as opposed to announcing a release date they find realistic from the start. You got to give it to him, it happens with almost every single game they put out, even with non-GTA games such as Max Payne 3. I mean you'd think they would have learned how to properly estimate a development cycle by now.

I mean geez, "Oh yes, it'll be out in May. Yeah we're sure, we've been doing this game-development thing for decades now, we know what we're talking about. Oh wait, what's that Larry? Hold up Larry has something he wants to say to me. Oh? Oh. Well turns out we were off BY HALF A A YEAR. AGAIN."

And for all we know, the month of September cometh, and they may very well delayed it to "Early 2014".

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I just think Rockstar aren't that good at efficiency or planning.

What they are great at is making amazing games. They're my favorite dev, so I've just learned to accept it. It's always been worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.