Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Ps3 or 360

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm about to go pick up a copy, has anyone heard which version is better? Id prefer to play on 360 because of the controller but not if the game looks shitty.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

360 is the better version but a small margin, but have frame drops, but who cares this is GOTY

Ive actually heard from multiple sources that the PS3 version is the SLIGHTLY better version.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no real better version. Just buy the one you will like more in terms of online and controller.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jgf

After watching this side by side video, I would go with 360. Unless you don't have gold and want to play online. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzac3XrTdM

Edit: But make sure to not install the second disk or geometry and texture pop-ins can get far get worse.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jgf: that comparison doesn't compensate for slight contrast/brightness/saturation differences, which the game let's the player change from the menu. It also is, probably, recording the ps3 through component cables rather than HDMI (due to some bluray restriction, most outlets just record through component). Also, the draw distance while playing is slightly better than the 360. Seriously, dont trust comparison videos

deinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read anything definitive either way. Personally, I will be getting it on 360 because that is where my friends are for future multiplayer.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Getting it on PS3.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: Thanks for the hint. I wasn't aware of that. The colors looked worse e.g.I didn't see any clouds in the sky or blood on franklins shirt. Now that you mention that component / hdmi capture issue I remeber that I heard of it. So more or less any side by side comparisions are meaningless as long as you only judge the colors and not stuff like drawing distance or texture pop-in I guess.

I don't have a 360 so I'm going to buy it anyways on PS3 though ;)

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgf: cloud thing is just the dynamic weather. I've seen 360 footage with the same sky in the opening as the ps3 version from the video, and the blood is just Franklin got shot in the 360 one and he did not in the ps3 one.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaegar

@jgf said:

After watching this side by side video, I would go with 360. Unless you don't have gold and want to play online. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzac3XrTdM

Edit: But make sure to not install the second disk or geometry and texture pop-ins can get far get worse.

PS3 has no clouds

Sorry.

Its close enough that it will really come down to framerate on the consoles. PS3 games usually suffer because of the ballsed up architecture, but its worth waiting for a comparison if you really care that much.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Do you prefer jam or jelly?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just buy it for the system you prefer to play games on. Seriously the differences between each version are so insignificant.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chiablo

@jgf said:

I wish they would have gamma corrected the PS3 side.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiablo said:

@jgf said:

I wish they would have gamma corrected the PS3 side.

And RGB Full on.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If I don't have 8GB free on my hard drive, am I SOL for the PS3? Is the install mandatory?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RonGalaxy
    Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been watching side to side footage of both, they seem to be pretty much the same, with some real minor pros and cons. It really comes down to your controller preference, and if you want to juggle several discs or not. I think I'm getting PS3, just so that I don't even have to think about that whole xbox "don't install the play disc" issue.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you want to juggle several discs or not.

The second disc for the 360 version is a one time thing. There's no swapping discs after the first install.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital foundry:

Grand Theft Auto 5: the Digital Foundry verdict

At last, Rockstar North's monstrous open-world caper is here in all its glory - but after five years and an estimated £170 million being sunk into development and marketing, which version is the one to buy? After playing both versions extensively and amassing over 2TB of lossless video to analyse, we must stress that you're bound to have a fantastic time with either take. Lighting and physics engines are fully intact on both versions, and the minor differences in reflection mapping go down as nitpicks. At its core, both PS3 and 360 present the same massive Los Angeles-inspired sprawl via the same 720p native resolution lens, with almost entirely identical effects and object detail.

However, it's apparent that the PS3 version has an undeniable advantage in one area: even to the naked eye, ground textures on 360 are blurred as a result of what appears to be unoptimised asset streaming. Glitch or not, this basically amounts to concrete and grass textures appearing fuzzier beneath the feet of Trevor, Michael or Franklin, while the PS3 version's remain crystal clear. The 360 does command a minor advantage in frame-rate during synchronised play, but for shoot-outs and high-speed hurtles down the city streets, the PS3 can sometimes pull ahead in these metrics - though the difference is rarely perceptible either way. Since all else is identical across the board, the PS3 version is recommended on the grounds of image quality if you have the option.

Grand Theft Auto 5 easily counts as the most feature-rich and eye-catching sandbox title of the current generation to our minds, though the silence on the as-yet unannounced PC and next-gen releases is deafening. Adaptations must surely be in the running - and doubtless these would be bolstered by smoother performance and higher-grade effects afforded by more muscular hardware. But that's perhaps missing the point; with so much heist-plotting content crammed into one package, and with an intriguing 16-player online mode yet to be patched in, there's no time like the present to enjoy Los Santos' delights on the platforms you already own.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-grand-theft-auto-5-face-off

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@darji said:

Digital foundry:

Grand Theft Auto 5: the Digital Foundry verdict

At last, Rockstar North's monstrous open-world caper is here in all its glory - but after five years and an estimated £170 million being sunk into development and marketing, which version is the one to buy? After playing both versions extensively and amassing over 2TB of lossless video to analyse, we must stress that you're bound to have a fantastic time with either take. Lighting and physics engines are fully intact on both versions, and the minor differences in reflection mapping go down as nitpicks. At its core, both PS3 and 360 present the same massive Los Angeles-inspired sprawl via the same 720p native resolution lens, with almost entirely identical effects and object detail.

However, it's apparent that the PS3 version has an undeniable advantage in one area: even to the naked eye, ground textures on 360 are blurred as a result of what appears to be unoptimised asset streaming. Glitch or not, this basically amounts to concrete and grass textures appearing fuzzier beneath the feet of Trevor, Michael or Franklin, while the PS3 version's remain crystal clear. The 360 does command a minor advantage in frame-rate during synchronised play, but for shoot-outs and high-speed hurtles down the city streets, the PS3 can sometimes pull ahead in these metrics - though the difference is rarely perceptible either way. Since all else is identical across the board, the PS3 version is recommended on the grounds of image quality if you have the option.

Grand Theft Auto 5 easily counts as the most feature-rich and eye-catching sandbox title of the current generation to our minds, though the silence on the as-yet unannounced PC and next-gen releases is deafening. Adaptations must surely be in the running - and doubtless these would be bolstered by smoother performance and higher-grade effects afforded by more muscular hardware. But that's perhaps missing the point; with so much heist-plotting content crammed into one package, and with an intriguing 16-player online mode yet to be patched in, there's no time like the present to enjoy Los Santos' delights on the platforms you already own.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-grand-theft-auto-5-face-off

Cool. Thank god for eurogamer/digital foundry - if I break and get a console version of this game, I'll pick up the PS3 digital version. Hopefully they announce the near-inevitable PC version soon though.

cb1115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cb1115

Damn those two versions are close. Excellent job by Rockstar this time around.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar said:

@dredlockz said:

if you want to juggle several discs or not.

The second disc for the 360 version is a one time thing. There's no swapping discs after the first install.

Oh, I did not know that, that issue is neglectable then.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bigjeffrey

PS3 Version has better ground textures. FUCK should of bought the PS3 bundle. Throwing this xbox version out the window

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS3 is recommended from Digital Foundry? That's different.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HoM3R

So feels like fps and look are almost the same. But a big thing for me is what im getting with 360 version, when you get one of the faster cars and just speed to a mission objective and get to a instant halt, textures are still loading for the area. Also when just driving with a fast car you notice some building textures around you are not loading highres, but you dont notice it really. But Feels like you can outrun the texture stream-in and if thats not happening on ps3 thats huge!

Also was wondering with all the updates these consoles got over the years can it matter how old your console is on the quality stream-in of the game, cause of faster/newer hdd or cd loading? Because still got a early premium xbox with 20gb and feels like im getting more texture pop-in then some of the stream i've been watching before release.

Stil better then fps dropping below 25 because feels like that hasnt happened for me on xbox and might be abit more the case on ps3.

HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HoM3R

@ninnanuam: Also might be fun to change the title of this topic into "ps3 vs 360 overall performance of the game" might lead to a little more constructive discussion instead of talking about: friends, xbox live gold etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.