Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Will GTA be Online focused in the future?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I only played GTAV when it came out on PS3 and 360 last gen. Played through the single player, had a blast and left it as is. I dabbled with online for an hour or so and it wasn't something I was interested in. It's funny though, I distinctly remember when growing up when GTA3 and Vice City were out, chatting with mates at school about how cool an online GTA would be.

I wonder though, with GTA online seemingly HUGELY popular (at least judging by other gaming sites and reddit), I presume it's making Rockstar bucketloads of cash. Add to that the fact that there has been NO extra single player content for GTAV which seems really crazy, especially seeing what they did with GTAIV. It's not really that crazy, the cost involved for Rockstar probably doesn't justify the possible income, especially relative to the online money they're making.

Do Rockstar cut down their next GTA game in terms of SP to focus more on online? I don't want that to happen, but I could see it happening. I have zero interest in Rockstar games' online modes (RDR was mildly interesting) and I love their Single Player stuff, but Online is so huge for them.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

It makes the most sense for them to do both. BUT, I would not be surprised to see the two blend more. More dynamic multiplayer stuff like all the sudden there's a player in a car chase in your game world.

I also think they still may do some single player something for GTA V.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I suspect they'll still do a singleplayer component. I think the outrageous story is still a big draw.

But yeah, GTA Online is like the new Playstation Home, in that I don't know anyone playing it much, but apparently they're making a lot of money on it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I believe they know that they have two profit center from GTA

1) Just selling the base game to tens of millions of playerd for single player. That is still a huge money maker, so they will never stop doing it.
    2) The online game is a money maker despite being a fraction of the audicne, but that fraction of audience buys online DLC and spends cash on junk - it is a huge 'after release' profit center.

I think there will be far less single player DLC, but the game will always have a single player and a multiplayer part. I think if the game were only online it woudl fail because there are tens of millions of player who simply could not care less about its online play.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm not opposed to the idea so long as they make the central hubs (the garages and apartments) more fun to obtain and maintain.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.