Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto

Franchise »

Grand Theft Auto is a sandbox-violence game, that has drawn attention all over the world, and has pretty much become one of the most noticeable criminal-sandbox franchises ever.

What time would you like the next GTA to be set in?

• 85 results
    skunkdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By skunkdragon

man i am so excited for gta v vice city

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ryanwho

Someone should go for the future at some point. Shit would be boss. Not that boring dystopia shit, Im talking 5th Element, Bladerunner, shit floating around, billboards of asian chicks drinking cola, killer robots.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Hizang said:
    "I'd love to see set in the 1990's, I feel that could be cool."
    Definitely with you here, but San Andreas has already done it :(
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Contro
    @ Birdo is a Tranny

In the future.
    IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By IchiroYagiza

Future.

Cyberpunk Tokyo. Make that happen Rockstar.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Grimace

1980/90's Melbourne, Australia.

oddface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By oddface

Anytime from the 70s till the present. The future doesn't make sense considering how satire, parody and cultural references plays a huge part in what make the series what it is. I don't feel they can do a non-american setting for the same reason. American culture is just so much more far-reaching and recognisable than any other culture. It just wouldn't be the same if the game was set anywhere else.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By chrissedoff
    @Hizang said:
    " @WinterSnowblind: I would like to see a game set outside "The Hood" "
    "no black people, please"
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#59  Edited By KarlPilkington

Now.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ShockD

14th century would be nice.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @PenguinDust said:
    " The 60's would be kind of cool I think.  All that free love and mod stuff.  Either that or the age of pirates.  Can you have a Grand Theft Auto set before the invention of cars? "
    Red Dead Redemption? 
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Ghostiet

I'd always wanted to see a Rockstar-styled sandbox in the medieval times. Not like Assassin's Creed, not like an RPG.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By penguindust
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @PenguinDust said:
    " The 60's would be kind of cool I think.  All that free love and mod stuff.  Either that or the age of pirates.  Can you have a Grand Theft Auto set before the invention of cars? "
    Red Dead Redemption?  "
    Good point, but technically it's not GTA.  It's a Rockstar open world game, but it's still not GTA.  Bully isn't GTA either although it has similar features.  GTA implies automobiles.  Jackin' horses, carriages, ox-carts or boats isn't the same thing in my mind.  I'm sure Rockstar could make an open world game set in pirates time or caveman/dinosaur (fake) days, but I don't think you can then title it Grand Theft Auto: Paleolithic.  
    randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By randiolo

the 70s would be a really cool era, think Harlem and the invasion of heroin on the streets, the rise of the Italian mafia, Vietnam, the movie American gangster, serpico, ..now THAT would be cool, however the setting has already been set and they have already started working on it. some signs point to going back to san andreas, which i wouldn't mind, depends on when..

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SeriouslyNow

JUST FUCKING MAKE BLADE RUNNER GTA FINALLY.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66  Edited By Castiel

Lets go back to the 80'es motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ghostiet
    @PenguinDust said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @PenguinDust said:
    Red Dead Redemption?  "
    Good point, but technically it's not GTA.  It's a Rockstar open world game, but it's still not GTA.  Bully isn't GTA either although it has similar features.  GTA implies automobiles.  Jackin' horses, carriages, ox-carts or boats isn't the same thing in my mind.  I'm sure Rockstar could make an open world game set in pirates time or caveman/dinosaur (fake) days, but I don't think you can then title it Grand Theft Auto: Paleolithic.   "

I don't agree. At its core, Red Dead Redemption is a very cleverly made GTA game. The small bits are there. The style is there. Only the title, setting and writing changes.

It's a Rockstar-sandbox. I think someone should coin that term as an official one.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Mikewrestler5
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:

" Does it really matter? It'll be the exact same game they've been making for the past decade regardless. "

You can apply that "they've been making the same game" thought to pretty much every game out there. "
    Not really. Look at GTA 3 and then look at every other game they've made since then. It's kinda sad. Especially with the quality peaking at Vice City. "
    I can literally name at least 30 games that are fundamentally the same as their predecessors. 
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

The past.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By crusader8463

GTA: Space Station or GTA: Mars Attacks

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By diabloshadow
    @Delphye: They did that already. Its called Red Dead Redemption lol.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By Gabriel

American Revolution, your the bad guy from The Patriot

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@Delphye said:
    " 1911 In the wild west. "
    I see what you did there. I would like another 1990s west coast gangsta GTA.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Example1013

Lower Neolithic.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Grand Theft Horses.

You are the character of Aurelius Maximus, you go out with your cousin Julius Caesar to score some grapes, and plunder and pillage the rival gang, the Gauls.

The game should also have a similar activities system, for example.

Julius Caesar sends you a messenger who reads from a scroll:,,Hey cousin wanna go to an orgy?"

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MrKlorox

I always thought they'd do something with Jon Gravelli climbing the ranks of the Gambetti crime family in the late 1960s-1970s, pulling some straight Godfather shit. Heh, maybe it'll be part of GTA4's Liberty City Stories on NGP. :\

Other than that, my current wish is modern day southern tip of Florida (Vice) and a good portion of the Caribbean, including Cuba and Jamaica (dubbed Jamrock) with 'tons' of smuggling and a number of guest cameos. And motherfucking Jet-skis. I demand Wave Race in my next GTA.

@PenguinDust said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

" @PenguinDust said:
    Red Dead Redemption?  "
    Good point, but technically it's not GTA.  It's a Rockstar open world game, but it's still not GTA.  Bully isn't GTA either although it has similar features.  GTA implies automobiles.  Jackin' horses, carriages, ox-carts or boats isn't the same thing in my mind.  I'm sure Rockstar could make an open world game set in pirates time or caveman/dinosaur (fake) days, but I don't think you can then title it Grand Theft Auto: Paleolithic.   "
    If Red Dead Redemption doesn't count, then no you can't have a game which is named after an illegal activity that itself did not exist before cars.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#77  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm a sucker for the all 80's vibe that was in Vice City.

However, a 90's era game could be done well too.  Something different than San Andreas.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Mikewrestler5 said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:

" Does it really matter? It'll be the exact same game they've been making for the past decade regardless. "

You can apply that "they've been making the same game" thought to pretty much every game out there. "
    Not really. Look at GTA 3 and then look at every other game they've made since then. It's kinda sad. Especially with the quality peaking at Vice City. "
    I can literally name at least 30 games that are fundamentally the same as their predecessors.  "
    Gotta agree with Mike...GTA 3 did new things but you're acting as if it didn't take ideas from other games at all... Sofacity, do you play modern games at all? Can you name me a completely original one? Because I can't.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#79  Edited By Hizang

I'd think it'dbe cool, for them to go back to San Andreas or Vice City in the present day
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By agentboolen

Grand Theft Auto 5 - A Caveman Story
    The dating would be caveman goes behind girl, grabs her by the hair and drags her to his cave for some hot coffee!  And yea the major weapon would be a club....  And a pet dinosaur (maybe a baby T-Rex, don't get rid of it to quick and it eventually turns on you).
    It could work.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#81  Edited By 234r2we232
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:

I can literally name at least 30 games that are fundamentally the same as their predecessors.  "
    Gotta agree with Mike...GTA 3 did new things but you're acting as if it didn't take ideas from other games at all... Sofacity, do you play modern games at all? Can you name me a completely original one? Because I can't. "
    It has nothing to do with being original, that's totally not my point. They continue to take the same formulas and open world mechanics that were set in GTA 3 and build slightly more detailed geometry around it. You've played one Rockstar game, you've played them all. Which is sad, because sometimes they'll recreate an interesting setting, but then you start playing it and oh wait, this seems familiar and weak. No thank you.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DystopiaX
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:

Gotta agree with Mike...GTA 3 did new things but you're acting as if it didn't take ideas from other games at all... Sofacity, do you play modern games at all? Can you name me a completely original one? Because I can't. "
    It has nothing to do with being original, that's totally not my point. They continue to take the same formulas and open world mechanics that were set in GTA 3 and build slightly more detailed geometry around it. You've played one Rockstar game, you've played them all. Which is sad, because sometimes they'll recreate an interesting setting, but then you start playing it and oh wait, this seems familiar and weak. No thank you. "
    Yeah, my point is that you can look at pretty much every franchise and say the same thing: CoD, Halo, Gears...
    then look at SC2. I love it, but it's basically SC1 with slightly updated mechanics (unlimited number of unit selection instead of 12, automated mineral gathering, etc.). RPGs? New Vegas did what Fo3 did, which did what Oblivion did, and so on. You're acting like R* is the only one who does this, but I challenge you do find a AAA, completely original game. Hell, I originally left out some Indie games because they can be creative, but a lot of them are derivative as well.
    Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mikewrestler5
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:
    " @Mikewrestler5 said:

It has nothing to do with being original, that's totally not my point. They continue to take the same formulas and open world mechanics that were set in GTA 3 and build slightly more detailed geometry around it. You've played one Rockstar game, you've played them all. Which is sad, because sometimes they'll recreate an interesting setting, but then you start playing it and oh wait, this seems familiar and weak. No thank you. "
    Yeah, my point is that you can look at pretty much every franchise and say the same thing: CoD, Halo, Gears...
    then look at SC2. I love it, but it's basically SC1 with slightly updated mechanics (unlimited number of unit selection instead of 12, automated mineral gathering, etc.). RPGs? New Vegas did what Fo3 did, which did what Oblivion did, and so on. You're acting like R* is the only one who does this, but I challenge you do find a AAA, completely original game. Hell, I originally left out some Indie games because they can be creative, but a lot of them are derivative as well.
    "
    Exactly.

I don't understand what he's getting at.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#84  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Mikewrestler5:  @DystopiaX: So how can RockStar be exceptions to that rule? People talk about them like they are reinventing video games, like every game needs to be a diluted mix of stiff driving and awkward shooting. My complaint is fair due to the fact that they have been doing this same thing for a decade over how ever many games they've pumped out (hence my original comment - it doesn't even need to be a GTA game, "RockStar Presents" just means open-world, self-serious and intentionally offensive at this point for whatever they do).

No matter the setting, it's always that exact same formula of mechanics - for example, a RockStar game set in post-apocalyptic Mars would be the same as their crime thriller set in fake New York, just as it'd be the same for that Western drama. It's creativity without the effort. Paint the dots "insert setting here" Mad Libs for games. You say every game does this, but it''s the pretence of GTA and RockStar that makes it a negative exception for me. 

What I'm trying to say is... I don't find the games very interesting :|
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jimbo

GTA 4 is quite substantially different to any of the GTA 3 era games.  Not better necessarily, but I don't think they've remained that static.  Rockstar also put out The Warriors and Bully in the past decade, neither of which had a whole lot of stiff driving and awkward shooting.

I'm still hoping for GTA V: The Shield.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.